The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Melee Weapon To Use At Low Ranks?

leserdemun

Question

Hello, I currently own an Ash lvl 26 Warframe, and am a mastery 2 rank. Though I like my standard maxed out SKANA I would like to improve to another melee weapon. And since I'm low rank I would like to have some recommendations from you guys.

What I do know a weapon I'm interested in is the Orthos Prime. Though it isn't easy to get at my rank. As I do not have keys to the voids needed in order to get the blueprints and the recruitment chat isn't much help either since no one hosts the map i'm looking for.

Recommendations are much appreciated! Thanks for your time and opinions!

Nikana is a go to weapon for even high level content for many, and as long as you have a clan it's rather easy to obtain, (the hardest material to get is 1 argon crystal, but that should not be a problem) . you probably should not go for any daggers at the moment.

I would probably say go for the cronus since it's a direct upgrade from the skana and is one of the easiest to obtain weapon (blueprint drops from normal vor)

When I was first starting out, I got the Dual Zoren. It was mainly because I was told it was a GOD weapon because of its crit and coptering abilities. Well, coptering is gone now but it still has crit going for it. I think it's a solid weapon that will carry you through the star chart easily and even can be used in the late game if you put the forma into it. It's a log in reward so RNG dictates if you get it or not.

Atterax is another weapon that doesn't require void grinding. Well, you need two Argon Crystals but I pick those up all the time in T1 Def lvling parties so I wouldn't really call that "void grinding." Atterax is one of my favorites; high slash damage, 25% crit, 20% status chance, and 3x crit damage. You can definitely use that in the late game. Plus it has a lot of range just like Orthos/Orthos P. I think you can get Atterax from the market. Its also MR2

Other good long range melee weapons like Orthos Prime are Tonbo (pole arm in the same class as Orthos P), Tipedo (Bladed staff) and Galatine (big sword). Not sure on MR requirements with those but I use all of those weapons a lot, too.

Edit: Tonbo is MR3 and clan tech so that might be out of reach for now. Tipedo is MR3 and requires Kunai and a Bo Staff to make so that might be a high cost. Galentine requires 4 gallium but otherwise it's MR3 and can be bought in the market.

Edited by (PS4)DBR87

Atterax is another weapon that doesn't require void grinding. Well, you need two Argon Crystals but I pick those up all the time in T1 Def lvling parties so I wouldn't really call that "void grinding." Atterax is one of my favorites; high slash damage, 25% crit, 20% status chance, and 3x crit damage. You can definitely use that in the late game. 

O_O Sh*t didn't know atterax was that good. guess i know what my next melee is,(just have to finish maxing prisma skana... -_-

Edited by Dwolfknight

O_O Sh*t didn't know atterax was that good. guess i know what my next melee is,(just have to finish maxing prisma skana... -_-

Yeah man, Berserker with a maxed Primed Reach and it wrecks faces in droves. Just keep energy up for Life Strike and you'd be surprised what frames can face tank swinging  that thing around.

Still a great weapon with out Primed Reach though.

Nikana is a go to weapon for even high level content for many, and as long as you have a clan it's rather easy to obtain, (the hardest material to get is 1 argon crystal, but that should not be a problem) . you probably should not go for any daggers at the moment.

I would probably say go for the cronus since it's a direct upgrade from the skana and is one of the easiest to obtain weapon (blueprint drops from normal vor)

^ This

For now the cronus is an easy to get and cheap upgrade from the skana that will get ya through the map till you can get some of the better melee weapons in the game.

If you are interested in orthos prime, may I suggest the regular orthos? It has superb range like it's prime varient and is a nice change and upgrade from the skana. I personally think something other than another sword would be good just to try out the different melee types out there.

Dual Zoren is quite flexible and cheap to put Mods on since it's a Crit Weapon.

Kestrel is quite effective if you're looking for a longer Ranged option. (might be a little bit expensive, but it Ragdolls Enemies that it hits!)

Orthos has a lot of Range if that's to your liking.

Galatine is good i guess. i'd want to suggest Gram, but Galatine is one Mastery Rank higher, and is just better in EVERY SINGLE WAY.

Kogake is a close Range option.

i'm specifically avoiding recommending Melee Weapons which require Resources that will be difficult for a New Player to get, because you're looking for some place to start.

there isn't any 'best to use', just a wide array of choices.

-snip-

good recommendations, except Dual Zoren isn't strictly a Login Reward :|

you can buy it any time, Login Rewards can just award it to you.

-snip-

these clips are basically irrelevant for a New Player.

Personally love my Dakara Prime always, but if your after a "Goal Weapon" go for Orthros Prime defiantly. As for a weapon you can get right now the new Nunchucks are a blast to use if your just looking for fun. But as many have told you you'll fall in love with the Orthros quite quickly after you start using it.

PS: Glaive is also really fun if you enjoy throwing your weapon around at the speed of sound.

Edited by Monybags33

My guess would be, just use the right damage type against the right faction. When in doubt stick to slash and corrosive. They have the least drawbacks.

Might I add that, though mastery isn't very important yet, you want to keep moving through the Arsenal to rank up. This makes it easier to focus your weapons on their per faction strengths. For example, the Hek is a Grineer murder machine, right off the bat. But takes significant modding to be strong against Infested.

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

Ether Daggers : There's a quest that rewards you with these and a catalyst .. win all round.

Jaw sword / Heat sword : watch for the alerts, win and make .. both are quite good.

Orthos : (non prime) easy to obtain and a ton of fun.

Serro : expensive but the build options make it really cool and are cheap since the element mods are commonly found, and it's really satisfying when you're low MR as it wipes the floor with everything and has a HUGE slam radius.

Dual Cleavers : the syndicate mod makes these a ton of fun.

Obex : I've only recently made these and they're really fun to use, the only problem is their stance (Brutal Tide) is hard to find.