Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has Warframe Been Ruined By The Update 18 Reveal? [Spoiler City.]

StabbyTentacles

yes, but undermined more by how the devs seem to think rng and grind is a good thing.

Well to a certain extent, RNG is a good thing. It gives you something to do. Think about it. Lets say you were after something and you were guaranteed to get it in your first try. You'd become bored and stop playing. Extreme grind is not a good thing, but a little bit is. Also, keep in mind Warframe is a F2P. All F2P games have some level of RNG and grind. This is inevitable, so it shouldn't be a surprise to you that WF has RNG.

Just kind of reminds of the movie Avatar to be honest, you sort of become the frame

It's pretty much exactly Avatar, mixed with Evangelion.  You become the frame, or feel you are "inside" the frame in the sense of being the frame. 

Consciousness transference mixed with telemanipulation.

Avatar gives you pretty much "what it feels like to be a Tenno/warframe combo". Evangelion, which has a similar concept, fleshes it out to be more in an anime sort of direction (kid pilots, some vaguely reminiscent plot elements, etc.). (There's also a hint of things like Inception and other "gnostic" movies like the Matrix.)

A warframe is pretty much directly analogous to a Na'avi avatar, with the Tenno in the golden VR pod (or the "chair" on the Orbiter, which isn't a "chair" but actually a VR pod that fully encloses the Tenno as you leave the room) being analogous to Jake Sully in his pod. 

(Like a Na'avi avatar, but with Infested organic parts instead of genetically tailored organic parts, plus a ton of metals, plastics, futuristic computer tech, nanotech type stuffs, bells, whistles, syndanas and go-faster stripes.)

It's really quite a neat mix of some s-f tropes that have been around for a while now.

And it totally explains why we thought we were "in" our warframes, but could never get the square peg of physical "insideness" to match the round hole of "energy being of some kind that's "inside" and vivifying various warframes".

It's a sense of "being inside" something that's not physical and a sense of "consciousness transference" that doesn't involve anything woo.  It's all about quite plausible and amazing possibilities arising out of cutting edge technology.

Indeed it’s a merge of some s-f tropes that have been around for a while now.

'And it totally explains why we thought we were "in" our warframes, but could never get the square peg of physical "insideness" to match the round hole of "energy being of some kind that's "inside" and vivifying various warframes".'

But so to would being a dude who’s sitting in a chair thinking, they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re activating a warframe, while actually they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re a dude who’s activating a warframe while actually they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re a dude who’s activating a warframe, while actually they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re a dude who’s activating a warframe...  

XWOuu8G.gif

Edited by StabbyTentacles

I brought up the question about how this update would probably work in the Chinese version of the game and a fellow player posted a pic from their Warframe ads that showed Mag (with a full hand) removing her helmet and only having her hair showing a bit. Then I remembered the pic of Excalibur with his back cut showing his skin underneath it all. I know that the versions (chinese and global) will have differences, but I wonder how DE might pull it off for them trying to make it seem like you are a kid in a chair in charge of a "meat puppet" instead of a human/humanoid inside of the actual suit?

And if they decide to change the mission so there is a different take on that, how would some of the people who are in the "The lore can't and won't be changed" camp handle the fact that in order to sell the game in China, the lore HAS/HAD to be changed?

I brought up the question about how this update would probably work in the Chinese version of the game and a fellow player posted a pic from their Warframe ads that showed Mag (with a full hand) removing her helmet and only having her hair showing a bit. Then I remembered the pic of Excalibur with his back cut showing his skin underneath it all. I know that the versions (chinese and global) will have differences, but I wonder how DE might pull it off for them trying to make it seem like you are a kid in a chair in charge of a "meat puppet" instead of a human/humanoid inside of the actual suit?

And if they decide to change the mission so there is a different take on that, how would some of the people who are in the "The lore can't and won't be changed" camp handle the fact that in order to sell the game in China, the lore HAS/HAD to be changed?

tumblr_inline_mpqkxqpKrk1qz4rgp.gif?resi

While I'll be more...

tumblr_mwa8ngMSJk1rwjvh4o3_250.gif

Perhaps they could throw a metaphorical spin on it. As in, its not that the Warframe actually has a human/humanoid within but that by showing the Warframe in that way it somehow portrays that beneath the surface of each Warframe there is flesh and blood pulling the strings. Am I reaching? xD

Indeed it’s a merge of some s-f tropes that have been around for a while now.

'And it totally explains why we thought we were "in" our warframes, but could never get the square peg of physical "insideness" to match the round hole of "energy being of some kind that's "inside" and vivifying various warframes".'

But so to would being a dude who’s sitting in a chair thinking, they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re activating a warframe, while actually they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re a dude who’s activating a warframe while actually they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re a dude who’s activating a warframe, while actually they’re a dude sitting in a chair thinking they’re a dude who’s activating a warframe... 

Hehe, well, to those who affect ennui at the BOH-RINGGG-ness of the concept, I say: if it's oh-so-obvious, how come you didn't come up with it when all the forum speculation was going down???

:)

I didn't think we could assert the warframes had personalities, if the proof was the idle animations, look for contrast in the tenno lab, you have Banshee, Volt and Zephyr frames and those are not doing idle animations, that means those animations are all on the tenno, supposedly you can dream of being other people, a sister, a brother, a friend or even and imaginary character. Dreams are usually this place where you are free from your physical reality and personality.

Chinaframe doesn't affect OUR build and OUR story so it doesn't count. It's just fishing for arguments since we knew long before U18 that they had their lore altered due to the cultural differences and nature of the chinese MMO market that is very human-centric. And honestly most of people are fine treating it as it's own thing, glad even, that they cannot influence the global build of the game outside of exclusive releases.

So no, even if DE alters the U18 story for the China it still doesn't change our lore and the results of it. I think people who are fine with the story as it is now and stand by their point that DE shouldn't change anything to cater people who cannot deal with the new operators will be just dandy.

I wouldn't assume that Chinese ads have any in-game lore relevance even to the Chinese game. Advertising is much more fast-and-lose there than the western world. As Rebecca said, interpret those ads as a metaphor.

IMHO the Chinese game lore will end up much the same as ours.

Well originally I thought war frames were suits like Iron Man, and the Tenno pilots them by wearing them. Even Ordis says "your warframe suits you" You would have known this from the origins of warframe , Dark Sector. Things have changed , and Dark Sector is Warframes history on how it all started in the world of Warframe. Technology evolves even in game world timelines. 

Now we know the tenno don't put on the war frames, they remote view and remote control them in a sleeping pod, like the concept of Avatar, where the war frames are the avatars and the tenno pilot them in a dream machine. This was the Lotus's secret to protect the tenno. 

So do people just not realize they can turn off the Operator's mission dialogue or what? 

Oh its off. Kiddo need a brain exam so he stops forgetting things and ask inane, inept questions all the time. 

I have a job to do 2 cripples be damned. 

now i just need better platforms then the bipedal ones and we are set. 

Then i need to break lotus bones a few times, let it heal and do it again. A commander should not use misdirection like that against small children. 

Oh its off. Kiddo need a brain exam so he stops forgetting things and ask inane, inept questions all the time. 

I have a job to do 2 cripples be damned. 

now i just need better platforms then the bipedal ones and we are set. 

Then i need to break lotus bones a few times, let it heal and do it again. A commander should not use misdirection like that against small children. 

"Small children" that are hundreds of years old and attempted genocide. They're kids in appearance only.

"Small children" that are hundreds of years old and attempted genocide. They're kids in appearance only.

Yes, I laugh when I see people say "oh look at the precious kids, just give them a toy and shut them up"  the tenno would probably tilt its head to the side and give you the most jaded look that only a pissed off adult could give you and if you pushed them too hard they might just play...

with your spine.

Remember, whatever you believe.  They have those powers from the focus system, they also have thought that THEY were the warframes and THEY were doing all that stuff.  Killing, maiming, cutting things in half in droves.

Killing, maiming, cutting things in half in droves.

Which makes me wonder...

Did they learn all that stuff while inside the warframes? Obviously, their powers are innate, but Tenno are masters of conventional warfare as well. You know, tactics, marksmanship, covert operations, all sorts of melee combat. They had to learn it somehow, at first they were just kids. So either they were trained while inside the warframes, or the skills were already there and when they merge minds with the suit, or whatever it is that they are doing, they just make use of it. In that case, the Operator would provide void sorcery, while the warframe brings physical prowess.

My point is that there can be much more to this than meets the eye. The fact that the Operator is there does not make Warframes any less of badass characters... yet. 

The first Dream, was the warframes then? Rhino Prime Codex creature.

The zariman survivors sat in the room, basically a Reservoir, and Davis figured out how to use them.

Maby they knew the kids could take over minds and so put them in cryo. Then the two met as the kids bodies were frozen, but their minds free.

They built the neural-sentry and links to protect themselves from the wouldbe-tenno?

The ones who killed the Orokin in the arena, were they remotecontrolled or were they bodies i suits?

Shadow was there. He was Guardian. But was he mad then ir after ut happened? And did he go mad from giving himself tennopowers?

Because Lotus warn us when we are using the WARFRAME that it is dangerous to go near the reservoir.

But why?