Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House

Ashafa

As this topic has been posted many times before, my response won't be anything new. First off, I've traded in warframe, A LOT. If you have something truly of value, then you will sell it. I think the auction house would make it convenient for the masses, but I disagree with implementing an auction house for multiple reasons listed below.

To start, why do you think people are able to charge so much in trade chat? Most people see the price of vengeful revenant (300p-600p) and exclaim, "Scammer!". Ok, if it's so easy to get it, you do it. Then you can tell me how much it's worth. I'm not going to go into the aspects of supply and demand, because i feel that topic's been beaten to death, but if you implement an auction house supply will go sky rocketing. Suddenly, ANYONE who has that part can will little effort post it with a price to some convenient tab, and the undercutting then begins until the price drops to next to nothing. All those people claiming to want to sell their prime junk? Congratulations, in no time it will be worth next to nothing. 

Secondly, I believe if you are willing to put in the effort, you should get rewarded. I put in the effort to advertise in the trade chat and peruse chat to see who needs what, and i frequently get rewarded for it. With an auction house, there is no effort other than posting your wares and waiting for someone to buy it. For people who claim, "But the effort is getting the item!", that is true and not true. RNG is a fickle mistress and there is no telling how much effort someone put into getting an item. If i put in 10 T3 MD runs to get something valuable versus someone who got lucky and got it in one run, you can bet i'll be pricing mine a bit differently.

Thirdly, to those who say the trade chat is toxic i largely disagree. Region chat is toxic, trade chat is more greedy. As long as you are polite, people tend to be polite in return. I have had WAY more good trades than i have had disrespectful or rude trades. I'd say for every 20-30 respectful people, there is one person who is disrespectful or rude.

Lastly, to call on my first point if all the prices drop the one who ends up losing is DE. And they definitely don't want to lose. Why do they lose you might ask? Well if all the sales prices drop, less platinum moving around means less people buying more plat means lost revenue for them. I have paid in the past for prime accessories, but i rarely fork over real money. I like to think that i support this game by playing the trade chat, and getting others who are willing to buy platinum to do so.

What i would like to see implemented however is more a bazaar style trading market, where you can setup your character at maroo's bazaar. This would open up a window where you could list all your wares, and prices for each item (or something that you would be willing to trade for). You wouldn't have to click to accept a trade, because the price would already be there. If someone agrees with the price they select the item, confirm they want to buy it and the trade happens. I'm sure there would be details to iron out, but i think that that system would have a good place in warframe.

If anyone believes the points i have provided is untrue, i would like to hear your reasoning. As i said, this topic has been brought up many times before.

TLDR:

An auction house would be convenient, but it is a shortsighted notion and would end up devaluing most items. It would also end up making DE lose platinum sales. However, a bazaar style market could work.

+1 on that bazaar market. It steers from the stale "Auction House" feature as seen in many typical MMOs. If Warframe continues to aim for a unique theme, go with the bazaar style market.

Nothing exists alongside an auction house is why I am against it. I understand that some want something simpler without any social interaction but why should we ignore those who are fine with the current system in the process? I want the current system to expand and help those who dislike the current trading system to something that everyone can agree with rather than defaulting to an auction house as a band-aid fix.

The bazaar option for example can function alongside trade chat and it doesn't require you to sit in a chat room all day or interact with anybody. 

Things I've seen on trade chat recently:

Ash set 500p

Nehza parts 100p each (AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHDUMBC^&NTS)

Lenses for 25p STILL

Dera set  200p

WTB EXCALIBUR PRIME

Spam

1) Funny most frames go for around 200p. Odd to see a 500...

2) 100 is a bit much, but if you think about it the price of the frame on the market is 275p, so I believe the cost is a bit inflated in your example, but justified otherwise.

3) 25p is rather cheap, and the market for it is still there. Why would it go away?

4) This is a sortie only weapon set. Not everyone is able to get the set with the RNG on this, let alone actually completing the sorties themselves. Seems like supply vs demand to me.

5) Yep. The game gets new people all the time. 

6) Yep. New people as well as veteran players spam.

None of what you have said is ground breaking or new, nor does it justify the OP's want/need of an auction house. What were you going for here?

Nothing exists alongside an auction house is why I am against it. I understand that some want something simpler without any social interaction but why should we ignore those who are fine with the current system in the process? I want the current system to expand and help those who dislike the current trading system to something that everyone can agree with rather than defaulting to an auction house as a band-aid fix.

The bazaar option for example can function alongside trade chat and it doesn't require you to sit in a chat room all day or interact with anybody. 

DE can add an auction house and still keep the current trade channel. 

DE can add an auction house and still keep the current trade channel. 

That is true but it doesn't expand on the current system that we have, it overrides it. There will still still be some people using trade chat if that does happen but to a much lesser extent. Trading the way it is now can be expanded to accommodate those who don't like it but there are very little ways to expand on an auction house that will accommodate those who want to keep the social interaction part of trading. An auction house IS a solution but i believe there is a different system that will suit Warframe better.

I love this game so much.

It's alive ecosystem where the things that DE doesn't do the players do for itselfs.

I realy love that wftrading and warframe. Market exist because that mean many things. One is that the game have so much vitality that players spend time creating things for the game. Other is that game have failed giving and adecuate response to a common issue between players.

That said, AH is not an option and DE knows. If you have a question about that, please, read all post related to this and know why is not an option.

De not paying attention to this issue isn't an option anymore. The players are doing what DE refuses to do, taking away the control from DE of one the keys of the game that could ruin the entire game.

Bazaar like shops may mitigate AH issues but must have a large system of rules and mechanisms to even start to work. Nearby all have mentioned before.

- Flag items to not be tradeable twice.

- Quiz variable system to each trade to avoid robots manipulating the market.

- Variable trade tax on platinum so DE can prevent the fall of prices... And also revalorize platinum by scarcity.

- Gigantic sinkhole for tradeable parts beyond actual ducats. Like having a second class, not so desirable, of premium things. Or making be able to buy alloy and ferrite and so (obviously supply of this kind will drop or prices goes up to compensate the new mechanism). Maybe exclusive consumables. Or all the above, cause one way or another the huge supply of prime stuff must be reduced and make the grind harder does not like the players.

- System that shows players that have not traded before other players that have trades recently. For equity and to disperse platinum between players so it can be used and not stored.

All of this may seem a gigantic moneygrinder but gives a value to farmable things and that make viable playing without paying a cent.

Sorry for my english. I hope its understandable enought. Sorry for walltext too.

Guys, what the hell is happening? I tried to sell my S Gammacor for 2 hours today. After the 4th person, I gave up. These guys were mr5+ yet I got an error that their xp was not high enough.......When I bought the Gammacor, I remember you had to be MR5. The sniper or primary of the Suda requires me to be 12 xp. Which means mr12. So whats going on? xp = mr?

That is true but it doesn't expand on the current system that we have, it overrides it. There will still still be some people using trade chat if that does happen but to a much lesser extent. Trading the way it is now can be expanded to accommodate those who don't like it but there are very little ways to expand on an auction house that will accommodate those who want to keep the social interaction part of trading. An auction house IS a solution but i believe there is a different system that will suit Warframe better.

in tera there are 2 options when buying on the auction house, buy for whatever price they listed. or if they are online you can hit make offer, and whisper them and try and negotiate

Edited by Arenzo4

DE's issue is. Making Trade too easy will detract from people using money to purchase plat. As plat will keep getting circulated. I can see a functioning Auction House resulting in a large decrease in the number of people who purchase Prime Access, which I think is their main source of revenue.

DE is likely trying to find a way to make trade less messy but not to easy. That is likely what they tried to do with Maroo's Bazaar, but from what I hear, that its not very good.

While it will detract some people from buying plat it will be an incentive to just as many or more to buy plat too (mostly due to that trading becomes accessible to exponentially more players than currently use the chat).  

While some people buy PA for the frames most I hear from buy it for the plat and cosmetics, the stuff that cant be gained via trading, the frames and weapons are typically just the gravy.  While having the ability to use platinum far more accessible to player is an incentive to buying prime access as the platinum has more use.

Hmm, I minor Plat tax could be something I could understand DE doing. Like You setup an auction for X time, and it costs a certain amount of plat to do it. Like 12 hours 1 plat, 24 hours 2 plat. Things like that. If the plat in minor (like under 5) I think it would be acceptable. But I don't trade much so I could be wrong.

That way DE is pulling a little of the plat out of the market and in DE fashion you're paying plat for the convenience of an easier time selling.

Maybe if you sell  for over a certain amount like <10plat is credits, over 10 plat is a 10% plat charge. Or base item type like Prime Parts auctions require plat to sell it, but mods only cost credits to auction.

A minor platinum tax could work (it works for steam).  While a limit to the number of current listings (equal to your trades per day for example, IE an MR 20 player can have only 21 listings at any one time) a player can have would help stop a lot of 'junk' listings too.

So wouldn't value of prime access also be decreased by all prime parts costing basically nothing? Also wouldn't this basically allow players to buy 500 plat for example and buy all primes in game?

Ultra rares - legendary cores, primed chamber?

Prime access is always worth something because there is stuff in them you cant get via trading (see above comment) and can only get from the prime access packages.

While prime parts could become very cheap, as others have mentioned you would find as soon as prime parts go very low players will snatch it up to convert to ducats, then sell prime mods and the trader weapons for a profit, or just buy the cosmetics super cheap.

Likewise rare mods that are really cheap would be bought and used for transmutation.  In the end removing all that excess stuff from the game that people just never intend to use.

Edited by Loswaith

To be fair, auction house or not some people can still make enough plat to not have to buy any.  I havent purchased plat since U17 and managed to buy Atlas, Wukong and Nezha, a few syandanas, some weapon skins, slots, and just today I sold primed heavy trauma and got loki bundle and nemesis nyx skin.  Wont lie tho sitting in trade chat for a few hours wasnt fun but I remembered that market site and found a deal in 3 minutes. 

trade chat right now requires patience but can pay off, all AH will do is let people find buyers/sellers faster. 

People say 'look it d3!' but that AH was done in the worst way possible.

And you really can't compare wf and d3 as being the same cus in d3 gold/rl money was the currency, here it's just plat...plat you cannot generate ingame out side of the super rare chance from a login reward (30 plat at most?); no where else in game can you earn plat raw unlike d3 gold. I would think having an AH would increase plat sales and not lower it but who knows.

Edited by fizbit

DE's issue is. Making Trade too easy will detract from people using money to purchase plat. As plat will keep getting circulated. I can see a functioning Auction House resulting in a large decrease in the number of people who purchase Prime Access, which I think is their main source of revenue.

DE is likely trying to find a way to make trade less messy but not to easy. That is likely what they tried to do with Maroo's Bazaar, but from what I hear, that its not very good.

It's quite simple to fix this:

Seller has a 10% plat fee if item sells. Sell for 10p? 1p is completely removed from circulation. Sell for 100p? 10p is completely removed from circulation.

Keep the trade system as is, and add an auction house terminal to the relays. Alter the tarrif for the auction house as needed to keep plat purchases coming in.

DE has stated multiple times on dev streams when asked. NO AUCTION HOUSE.

It would ruin trade, it would ruin the market, and you wouldn't get cheaper items you would get MUCH more expensive items. Due to how the DE would set it up to make sure they didn't lose profit. The trade chat now works perfect to a extent that they can hurt their own profit with (Greater lens costing 40p) Auction houses would RUIN that because everyone would bring down the prices.

So what does DE do? They make it cost plat to use Auction house, and put a min amount of plat you can put on auction house. They wouldn't comprimise their profit for convience.

So you want the game to become P2T (pay to trade)

Trade chat is fine the way it is. How about you guys just learn to socialize. :)

Edited by Feallike

+0

How many copies of warframes do you need? How many spares you have for selling?

Well, when I have 90 serrations, 50 hornet strikes, 30, berserkers, 50 of each of the dual stat toxic mods, 15 quick thinkings, and about a dozen of each of the nighmare mods, I would say I have A LOT of spares to sell. Same thing goes for the prime parts. Is not that no one is buying these mods, is just that I never list these things of lower value on my WTS post because it would be 15 lines and it becomes tedious to keep up with all that.

For that reason, I now only list either complete sets or high priced items. Is not that no one needs these items. I've heard the same story multiple times from new players of how they finally resort to trading (after unccessusful farming, of course) only to be met with scalpers and non replies for even the more common mods. All the while, my inventory becomes even bigger while it could be turned into plat if there was a reasobale trading system in this game.

So it's not that I want to build multiple loki primes and own three soma primes, but it is that I HAVE multiple loki and soma parts which could be sold to others who actually have a need for them.

Also, meant to hit "quote" and not upvote your post.

Edited by alfaomega04

Trade chat is fine the way it is. How about you guys just learn to socialize. :)

Trade chat has nothing to do with socializing, socializing is between friends or family not a buncha used car salesmen who infest that channel...

The market here varies wildly, there is only a smattering of items that seem to have a consitant 'known' value. End result is, unless you hang in trade chat 24/7 monitoring things every day...you might not know what a 'fair' price really is. Trading here is a mess and needs some form of order imo, if not for a AH then something else then...maybe some sort of trade tracker type info screen so players can see what things commonly sell for? I dunno.

Edited by fizbit

People say 'look it d3!' but that AH was done in the worst way possible.

And you really can't compare wf and d3 as being the same cus in d3 gold/rl money was the currency, here it's just plat...plat you cannot generate ingame out side of the super rare chance from a login reward (30 plat at most?); no where else in game can you earn plat raw unlike d3 gold. I would think having an AH would increase plat sales and not lower it but who knows.

D3AH go beyond one failed experiment.

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/03/18/diablo-3-finally-exorcises-its-demon-the-auction-house/&ved=0ahUKEwjE_Z-JjufJAhVFPRQKHZO8CRAQFgguMAQ&usg=AFQjCNG_lzNa6O0oePJhmShueQd-ywB_jg&sig2=HtG9vpHEbbGKpC_JzX6Njw

The link is an article of FORBES.

But there are more people lecturing about the D3AH.

Not want to be rude but auction house is ruining other business far away from gaming like task rabbits.

Its the system itself what is wrong.