Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kavats Feedback [Megathread]

[DE]Taylor

9 minutes ago, Twistedsparkle said:

Im still not getting any kitty dna (after hotfx)
this is my 6th mission in a row

this is ridiculous
am I doing something wrong? Im using the basic codex scanner
does it matter if you kill the ferals afterwards?

The notification that shows you got a print is in the loot system after scanning the kavat , so killing it afterwards doesn't do anything negative in that aspect. Basic codex scanner only nets a max of one i believe, so using the simaris scanner with the widget might be better (occasionally when the kavat gives you the DNA, it give you two. From my experience, it doesn't increase the chance, but only is a possible increase to the codes you get.).

However, the droprate still low nontheless.

Edited by Epicagemo

10 minutes ago, Twistedsparkle said:

Im still not getting any kitty dna (after hotfx)
this is my 6th mission in a row

this is ridiculous
am I doing something wrong? Im using the basic codex scanner
does it matter if you kill the ferals afterwards?

1 minute ago, Epicagemo said:

The notification that shows you got a print is in the loot system after scanning the kavat , so killing it afterwards doesn't do anything negative in that aspect. Basic codex scanner only nets a max of one i believe, so using the simaris scanner with the widget might be better (occasionally when the kavat gives you the DNA, give you two. From my experience, it doesn't increase the chance, but only is a possible increase to the codes you get.)

Codex scanner doesn't work at all. You have to use the Synthesis Scanner.

Okay My Katbro feedback:

The AI is much improved over kubrows, and there is a lot of satisfaction seeing my pet pounce down an osprey or jump off a wall onto a grineer slicing him down. It's not perfect (theres still a lot of issues for a player who doesnt stand still), but a vaaaast improvement over older Kubrow AI. I particularly like that the kavat is able to parkour similar to us around the levels.

The Genetic Code Farm is absurd. It needs to be 5x faster just to match the kubrow egg grind. Either that or let us use a kubrow egg in lieu of some of the genetic codes? Like allow us to mix to the 2, maybe 5 codes and a kubrow egg? Just a thought.

I love the variety of abilities added as mods as well, although im still unclear what sense danger actually does. Also any chance we get to change our kubrows eye/energy colour?

Edited by Skaleek

3 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

Okay My Katbro feedback:

The AI is much improved over kubrows, and there is a lot of satisfaction seeing my pet pounce down an osprey or jump off a wall onto a grineer slicing him down. It's not perfect (theres still a lot of issues for a player who doesnt stand still), but a vaaaast improvement over older Kubrow AI. I particularly like that the kavat is able to parkour similar to us around the levels.

The Genetic Code Farm is absurd. It needs to be 5x faster just to match the kubrow egg grind. Either that or let us use a kubrow egg in lieu of some of the genetic codes? Like allow us to mix to the 2, maybe 5 codes and a kubrow egg? Just a thought.

I love the variety of abilities added as mods as well, although im still unclear what sense danger actually does. Also any chance we get to change our kubrows eye/energy colour?

Sense Danger makes enemies glow pink, and you can see them through walls.

2 from [edit] 6 missions here.

You see, this is the problem with RNG, it deals with averages, and while ~12% drop chance and 4 kavats per mission results in an average of 2 missions to get 1 DNA, and 20 missions to get 10, that's just the average.  Plenty of players will have to do twice as many scans, some 4 times as many, and it's even possible for someone to never get any DNA no matter how many scans they do.

When a game developer decides to use RNG, without properly understanding how probability works, and taking measures to limit its extremes, then they are effectively saying they are perfectly happy to treat some of their players much worse than others, based on the flip of a coin.

RNG alone is a flawed system, especially when you are working with low probabilities, because while the average number of attempts may seem acceptable, you also need to take into account the probability that a much greater number will be required.

That's why there are systems to improve upon pure RNG, called unlucky streak prevention, so you can have both an average, and an upper limit.  They work by gradually increasing the probability for every failed attempt, so that a player cannot be excessively unlucky.

Of course if a developer really cared about fairness they wouldn't use RNG at all.  There would just be a guaranteed chance, and higher component requirements, so that rewards always reflected effort.

Edited by polarity

OK I Bought a Karats starter pack for 95 p . I Was have fun scan cats got 1 so I had 11 scans only need 10 cool. Just got upgrade for incubator lets plug it in and. Now I just have 1 scan ?? what happen to other 10 ??? .I Just lost my 10 genetic code. I do have my incubator power & 6  dna  stabilizer and stasis slot and gen code temp yup got all that but lost 10 genetic codes. Dam Them LOL I Should have bought after I got my upgrade LOLOLOL The jokes on me. Dam dyslexia will be the death of me. This is not a joke it happen I have to laugh or ill cry LOL

Thanks

4 minutes ago, FUA_Drax said:

OK I Bought a Karats starter pack for 95 p . I Was have fun scan cats got 1 so I had 11 scans only need 10 cool. Just got upgrade for incubator lets plug it in and. Now I just have 1 scan ?? what happen to other 10 ??? .I Just lost my 10 genetic code. I do have my incubator power & 6  dna  stabilizer and stasis slot and gen code temp yup got all that but lost 10 genetic codes. Dam Them LOL I Should have bought after I got my upgrade LOLOLOL The jokes on me. Dam dyslexia will be the death of me. This is not a joke it happen I have to laugh or ill cry LOL

Thanks

Making the kavat segment cost 10 DNA, so if you had 11 before making it, you are left with 1. Making a kavat also need 10, which mean for your first kavat you need 20 (10 for segemnt + 10 for the kavat)

1 minute ago, Twistedsparkle said:

okay after hours of grinding in the orokin derelicts
I got my bloody 10 genetic kitty codes

now I need 10 moar for the actual kitty
so not looking forward to it

I say the droprates still need buffing

It doesn't even feel as if they buffed the droprates at all, to be honest. Doubling 1% is only 2%. These should be at least a 25% chance to drop.

May as well call this "Year of grind".

DE just aren't getting it.  It's not just the fact that the drop rates are so low.

It's the amount of time you have to spend in the mission looking for something that can barely be seen.
It's the fact that they can get killed before you even get a chance to scan them.
It's the fact that you need to collect materials to make keys to do those missions.
It's the fact that you need to craft dozens of those keys (and no, putting one on to craft before you do each mission is not efficient, when the interface of this game is so bad, and you have to go through a ton of levels, with animation delays, which makes the better option in the long run to sit in the foundry window and put one on when the last finishes).
It's the fact that you have to pay for the charges for the scanner.

Most of all its the fact that this is a complete and utter piss-take, compared to how easy it is to breed kubrows in sufficient numbers, to actually have a choice as to what yours looks like.

Edited by polarity

drop rate is almost reasonably low now, acceptable if you don't mind suicidal thoughts in the process. getting 0 dna multiple runs in a row is still a common thing, got 20 dna with 291 scans, need some consistancy. i suggest putting a scannable corpse or something inside a vault with 100% chance of getting dna, this way it will be rewarding for party play and provide some synergy with this void traces when you already have all the mods from the vault.

5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Doubled the chance to get a Kavat Genetic Signature on scanning of Feral Kavats.

Well ... I'm sorry but we went from extremely grindy to incredibly grindy. It's still not enough. Kavats are in a location that require resources to access, they can easily die to enemies. Finding one alive is something rare, keeping it alive while you take the scan is on top of it incredible hard. I've performed 65 scans since the update, only got 4 ... (2 of which are gone because the mission failed).

Given how hard it is to just get a scan of a kavat, it really should be more than that.

On 7/8/2016 at 6:54 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

-snip-

Where did the 'copy main colors' in 'attachments' when looking at a kubrow or kavat go? that was the only way to tell what the natural colors of a companion are. surely kavats have to have colors that are more rare then others just like kubrows do. What gives? saw how much platinum us breeders have been making and now are making it way harder for us?

So after finally getting my kavat. Iv got a few issues with the Smeeta charm ability. There really should be some kind of indicator of what charm ability it used besides the ability duration.

Also the tail variation that has the 5 different tails coming out of it looks really junky. Each tail only has 3 joints which makes it look really weird. Tails are a continuation of the spine, so they should have probably 10 joints to make it look good. Or at least 7-8 to make it look smooth.

They also suffer from the same AI problems Kubrows do. Just standing there while they get killed, not Attacking consistently, etc.

Sheldon recently said at Tenocon that they have plans to implement commands into companions. If that's true then I would really like to see improvements into their actions. For example, If there is an attack command then companions should go from one enemy to the other, not stopping until they get a certain distance away from their master, at with point they return, and they should only use aggressive abilities while this command is active. A defend command would shrink the radius drastically of how far the companion can attack before returning to the master, and you would ideally be able to choose if you want it to defend a certain spot/ objective, or yourself. A follow command where the companion doesn't attack at all and just does its best to stay besides you. certain companions have abilities that are situational like the kubrow that attacks VIP enemies, so It would be nice to see specific commands for specific breeds, Like the Kubrow that retrieves items would be great if it had a command where all it does is go around collecting items, not even bothering to attack enemies at all. And maybe just a default command where they act like they do now, just doing whatever they feel like.

21 minutes ago, vaur06 said:

Well ... I'm sorry but we went from extremely grindy to incredibly grindy. It's still not enough. Kavats are in a location that require resources to access, they can easily die to enemies. Finding one alive is something rare, keeping it alive while you take the scan is on top of it incredible hard. I've performed 65 scans since the update, only got 4 ... (2 of which are gone because the mission failed).

Given how hard it is to just get a scan of a kavat, it really should be more than that.

it's not hard use oberon. wildlife doesn't attack you and kavats just stand around. go to ODE kill all enemies then start scanning. got 4 genetics in 1 run yesterday.

2 minutes ago, SaucyTuckermax said:

it's not hard use oberon. wildlife doesn't attack you and kavats just stand around. go to ODE kill all enemies then start scanning. got 4 genetics in 1 run yesterday.

No, they don't just stand around, they go charging off to attack the next lot of stuff that wants to kill them, or because of some bug with oberon's passive, they go completely invisible, so you have to try and find where a moving kavat is and and scan it, using nothing but the blue dot on your minimap.

And whoop-de-do you got four in a run.  Wipe the smile off your face until you've done enough runs to get 20 DNA scans.

Just now, polarity said:

No, they don't just stand around, they go charging off to attack the next lot of stuff that wants to kill them, or because of some bug with oberon's passive, they go completely invisible, so you have to try and find where a moving kavat is and and scan it, using nothing but the blue dot on your minimap.

And whoop-de-do you got four in a run.  Wipe the smile off your face until you've done enough runs to get 20 DNA scans.

Yes, they do just stand around. If no enemies for them to fight are there. That's why I said "kill enemies then start scanning" I'm not trying to be mean I'm just telling you it's really not that hard to scan them if your using oberon. Yes they will go invisible, still not hard to scan them standing around while invisible. And I've actually gotten more then 20DNA scans. Got 2 cats to prove it.

You aren't good at it, you aren't using any amazing method of farming, you aren't the only one using an oberon.  All you got is lucky, and then you have the gall to come here, imply no-one else knows what they're doing, ignore everyone else's accounts of how hard it is, and say it's easy, when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Edited by polarity

4 minutes ago, polarity said:

You aren't good at it, you aren't using any amazing method of farming, you aren't the only one using an oberon.  All you got is lucky, and then you have the gall to come here, imply no-one else knows what they're doing, ignore everyone else's accounts of how hard it is, and say it's easy, when you have no idea what you're talking about.

I never said im the only one using Oberon XD. just trying to give you and anyone else that thinks it's hard advice.

4 minutes ago, SaucyTuckermax said:

I never said im the only one using Oberon XD. just trying to give you and anyone else that thinks it's hard advice.

you can use ivara and equinox to put them to sleep and inaros to stun them with sand, doesn't change the chances of getting the dna.

7 minutes ago, SaucyTuckermax said:

Regardless oberon by no means eliminates accidentally killing the Kavats in the crossfire, because they will still attack the infested while you're trying to kill them.

The Dread or a Rubico could help there, but machine guns, shotguns, melee of any kind, abilities, etc., are all prone to hitting the Kavats too. And using snipers and bows is a LOT slower, so it's still not perfect.

All Oberon really helps with is just getting them to sit still ONCE you've killed everything.

Point is, it's still unreasonably difficult and grindy.

Edited by MarkTheRabidCat