Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Forum Reputation for?

Xekrin

I get a fair bit of reputation on some of my posts and I've always wondered, other than an indication that someone likes your post, what's it for?  I mean, people have given reputation for agreeing with your statements or feedback, because they find your post amusing, they want to show support for your ideas or fan concepts.

These are all great reasons but I'm curious if it is used for anything official.  What I mean by that is, for example, in a rework concept thread, if your post gets 100 :heart: 's would DE consider your thoughts more closely?  Or do you think it matters not at all?  Is reputation just another form of social standing as 'Likes' are in social media and doesn't mean a whole lot because it is so easily and freely given?

I mean I could literally go through every thread and like every post, good or bad, and it doesn't really affect much.  Of course, I always smile whenever I get reputation because I'm happy someone found my post worthy of that extra step of clicking the heart.

That's all, comment your thoughts or allow this thread to fall into obscurity with all the others.

In General and Feedback essentially it's made to promote Gif spam, funny comments instead than precise feedback, driving mass kneejerk reactions on cheap arguments, etc.

There're a lot of people posting 500+ "easy-reputation" posts per day to get the highest score! There's a Race going on!

Meanwhile the Forum plunges and good feedback sink underneath it.

Edited by Burnthesteak87

Reputation is just an incentive to post useful stuff. 

Reputation actually giving out rewards would cause massive amounts of reputation seeking comments riddled with forced memes and "funny" sarcasm. 

Forum reputation is the most convenient way to acknowledge a good post.

Positive or negative, it doesn't matter: a good post is subjective.

This is especially true when we don't want to say anything, but just read. We use it to say I like this, or I agree, or You made me laugh, or This artwork/concept/writing is great, or Thanks for answering my question, and I acknowledge your point, even if I don't agree.

Cynicism and jokes aside, reputation says I see you. I acknowledge your efforts.

Show me a human being who doesn't want to be seen, acknowledged for their efforts in some way, and I will show you a liar.

1 minute ago, Rhekemi said:

Forum reputation is the most convenient way to acknowledge a good post.

Positive or negative, it doesn't matter: a good post is subjective.

This is especially true when we don't want to say anything, but just read. We use it to say I like this, or I agree, or You made me laugh, or This artwork/concept/writing is great, or Thanks for answering my question, and I acknowledge your point, even if I don't agree.

Cynicism and jokes aside, reputation says I see you. I acknowledge your efforts.

Show me a human being who doesn't want to be seen, acknowledged for their efforts in some way, and I will show you a liar.

A shame you can't give rep more than once. Well said.