The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

15 hours ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Yeah. 

I hope it's not just another "Prime".

I get why the non-founders want it to be just another version of Prime to satisfy their "You have it so we should have it too" but then, from a gameplay perspective, I don't see why adding in Umbra as just another Excalibur with a little tweak in stats is gonna benefit anyone.

I'm still hoping it will have different abilities of the same theme to give a yin and yang feel, preferably when you use Norm/Prime Excalibur with Umbra Excalibur in the team, their abilities will have incredible synergy or something.

Exactly ! That way at least I'll be hyped for a Valkyr Umbra , or a Nezha Umbra . Something of the sort 

16 hours ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Yeah. 

I hope it's not just another "Prime".

I get why the non-founders want it to be just another version of Prime to satisfy their "You have it so we should have it too" but then, from a gameplay perspective, I don't see why adding in Umbra as just another Excalibur with a little tweak in stats is gonna benefit anyone.

I'm still hoping it will have different abilities of the same theme to give a yin and yang feel, preferably when you use Norm/Prime Excalibur with Umbra Excalibur in the team, their abilities will have incredible synergy or something.

It's not going to have the same passives, that much we can tell. But we've already seen he behaves the same way normal excalibur does, which I know is going to be a turn off for some people but personally I think it's good. I don't really want him to have different abilities, just different passives and unique characteristics. After all his name is Excalibur Umbra not ___ Umbra. 

1 minute ago, Demoonic said:

It's not going to have the same passives, that much we can tell. But we've already seen he behaves the same way normal Excalibur does, which I know is going to be a turn off for some people but personally I think it's good. I don't really want him to have different abilities, just different passives and unique characteristics. After all his name is Excalibur Umbra not ___ Umbra. 

all provided videos was from china were well before all the big updates and reworks currently employed in the game

so what is shown is not current in terms of abilities and skills

should be the same abilities as current Excalibur, kind of the point of a direct upgrade to vanilla frame

maybe with some animation tweaks but

-stats will be different for sure 

So many interesting things they could do.  For example, Umbras are intended specifically for operations in the Tau system.  Energy and assistance there was hard to come by, and mods were prone to sabotage by sentient forces so they were minimized.  In game, all their abilities have their augments built in, and they have higher base stats.  However, they cannot use most stat altering mods - no redirection, no vitality, no fleeting expertise or streamline.  This would go hand in hand with the introduction of the Tau system, where no warframe or weapon can use those mods (thus dovetailing with the modding 3.0 - base stat "required" mods stay, but do not function in the Tau system at all).

Edited by Phatose

1 hour ago, Phatose said:

So many interesting things they could do.  For example, Umbras are intended specifically for operations in the Tau system.  Energy and assistance there was hard to come by, and mods were prone to sabotage by sentient forces so they were minimized.  In game, all their abilities have their augments built in, and they have higher base stats.  However, they cannot use most stat altering mods - no redirection, no vitality, no fleeting expertise or streamline.  This would go hand in hand with the introduction of the Tau system, where no warframe or weapon can use those mods (thus dovetailing with the modding 3.0 - base stat "required" mods stay, but do not function in the Tau system at all).

i kind of like the "no base stat buff " system

some thought on that

-must have completed second dream

-must complete sands of inaros

-next mission?

change it so that via limbo -> open a rift gate to tau (limbo required in squad)

limbo theorem could be a quick way to jump to tau system 

once there we discover that the umbras are locked in stasis pods (similar to our first warframes ) and repeats that concept, and combats the sentients to get back to origion system, once completed we have excal umbra!

thats over simplified but a good plot concept 

-edit

OP:edit

added lazerskink image finds in misc

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

4 hours ago, Demoonic said:

060446c7a13d21c47a2a9e174a2b295f.png

At least we know they're still working on him and acknowledge our thirst for shadow boy  :)

Dunno, it seems like the same old song and dance.

On 20/3/2016 at 5:10 PM, BornWithTeeth said:

You know, I'm not sure that I disagree with your (sarcastic) comment here, really.

I'd be super interested if the plan was for there to be no new Prime for a little while, and instead, the focus was going to be on new enemies, new star map, and radically expanding options to do with the Operators. Especially that last one.

If someone said "Hey, I'll cut you a deal. Excalibur Umbra, people have been waiting for that 'frame for eight months. So, for the next eight months, there's going to be no new Prime equipment. None. Not even a reshuffle of the drop tables. Instead, we're going to rework Operator cosmetics, dialogue, and speech options, allowing you to choose 'Attitudes' or 'Tones' for the Operator, and we're gonna do a quest which involves healing their atrophy, allowing you to use them as the avatar character for walking around the Orbiter and Dojo. What do you say?" I would sign up immediately. 100%.

I was not being sarcastic, at this point I'd rather that DE started working on improving the game, expanding the lore, giving more participation to operator (other tha sit in the "basement" of our liset and magically appearing on our screens saying "my warframe is strong" and throwing a couple of beams to passively buff us duringthe rest of a mission), expanding syndicates, giving us quest replayability, fixing bugs, reworking frames, fixing archwing, balancing both pve and pvp, improving AI, optimization, etc. and keep releasing new content regularly instead of giving us primed tweaked reskins and cosmetic deluxe skins. There's a lot to do, but I think it might not happen because of rea$ons  

I have an interesting idea for umbra, What if he has special animation set, something to do with his Excal Blade :-D 

And this  was my (dream) assumption for the umbra proto appearance:VQoB0Yc.jpg

but in fact the reality looks better than I imagined:12b6kAz.jpg

that's all I'm looking for :)

This is the most important question, in my opinion. Will they be an option, or a straight upgrade?

Starting another build like one does when acquiring a prime is not the best kind of longevity and variety to add to a game, and we know what happened with normal frames vs primes. They're basically not worth using over primes, because primes are an upgrade. I think it would be bad if Umbras were an upgrade to primes, because that's just more power creep, and what happens when we decide we want an upgrade to umbras?

Something to think about.

maybe they will have 1 of their 4 abilities buffed but the others get slightly i don't want to use word nerf so u decide a good description here

anyways they would improve one ability at the cost of 3 allowing new more interesting build variety while not completely buffing them into next level kill machines of decepticons :P

or entirely new set of moves based off the normal frame but slighty modded mechanics like blade storm been 1 target killer but the target would drop extra loot or something, buff maybe?

While I can definitely see Umbras being improvements over base frames, the whole premise of a Prime Warframe is that it is the original, most pristine, and the best model of a Warframe. At most I expect Umbras to be side grades of Primes.

Just comparing Umbra Excal ( the Changyou's build ) to our Excal Prime, there is another slight bump in upgrade in Umbras favor.

Ofcourse DE may change stats, but if it is to believe by the numbers we have seen now, they will be stronger than Prime, which is kinda lame because some people invested a lot of forma's, potatoes and exilus adapters etc in their prime frames.

The only thing that is a mystery is that we do not know Umbras passive, Primes have the orb thingy so devs maybe are thinking to offset it so that Primes will have one extra passive.

In short, i do hope they will be optional sidegrade rather than powercreep stats.

Edited by Ognj

6 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

We can't even begin to speculate at this point, we have no information and DE hasn't given us anything as they weren't even sure what they were going to do with Umbra frames even lore wise.

I wouldn't worry about it till likely fall or even winter.

^

1 hour ago, Ognj said:

Just comparing Umbra Excal ( the Changyou's build ) to our Excal Prime, there is another slight bump in upgrade in Umbras favor.

Ofcourse DE may change stats, but if it is to believe by the numbers we have seen now, they will be stronger than Prime, which is kinda lame because some people invested a lot of forma's, potatoes and exilus adapters etc in their prime frames.

The only thing that is a mystery is that we do not know Umbras passive, Primes have the orb thingy so devs maybe are thinking to offset it so that Primes will have one extra passive.

In short, i do hope they will be optional sidegrade rather than powercreep stats.

Changyou's build has Umbra Prime, not Umbra. The stats and appearance will be slightly different. I would say it's safe to say it won't be an upgrade but it wouldn't make much sense for it to be a downgrade so I guess it will be a sidegrade.

2 hours ago, (PS4)DBR87 said:

While I can definitely see Umbras being improvements over base frames, the whole premise of a Prime Warframe is that it is the original, most pristine, and the best model of a Warframe. At most I expect Umbras to be side grades of Primes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this would be ideal... 

but we've already seen that excal umbra was/is a direct upgrade/improvement to excal prime, so the precedent is/has already been set =/ 

hopefully tho DE is spending all this time developing a better integrated system for the global release vs the powercreep in chinaframe 

1 hour ago, Ognj said:

I would be careful with this comparison. As far as I am aware China Build doesn't have Excalibur Umbra yet even.  What they do have is Excalibur Umbra PRIME which was a program similar to Founders for China.  It is a prime of the umbra but they also don't have the base which may or may not be a placeholder for the umbra system.  And since I haven't seen any pictures of base Excalibur Umbra I am going to assume as a whole he just hasn't been released.

As such try not to get your hopes up too high.  There are a lot of misleading language flying around and its hard to pin point what exactly is happening. I've heard rumors that they will share the same model but I haven't seen any sources other than Steve tweeted once that it would have shiny parts. It also doesn't make sense because I've seen official statements by Changyou saying only China will have Umbra Prime which isn't exactly true if they share the same model. That and people are saying the Shadow Stalker is using the Umbra body but it looks nothing like China's Umbra. This is something that well just need to wait and see. The product we get could vary quite a bit, appearance and stats.

IMHO, umbras are a bad idea, why ask for umbra versions when we have the PRIMES as the upgraded version of the normal frames.

it "might" make the primes obsolete or whatever. I just don't get it why we need UMBRAS while we already have PRIMES which is supposed to be the best version of the frames.

If I'm some random A****** in game I would say that /excalibur umbra is just an excuse to stand in lieu of people who didnt have the opportunity to get the excal prime when it was available/ but Im not, so forget i ever said that.

17 minutes ago, Jussler said:

Changyou's build has Umbra Prime, not Umbra. The stats and appearance will be slightly different. I would say it's safe to say it won't be an upgrade but it wouldn't make much sense for it to be a downgrade so I guess it will be a sidegrade.

And Changyou's build has Excalibur still with Radial Javelin as its ultimate ability. So the stats should be taken with grain of salt, just having a hunch that DE would make an upgrade so that people will grind for it / or won't moan that it is inferior to the prime.

6 minutes ago, Ognj said:

And Changyou's build has Excalibur still with Radial Javelin as its ultimate ability. So the stats should be taken with grain of salt, just having a hunch that DE would make an upgrade so that people will grind for it / or won't moan that it is inferior to the prime.

As far as I remember, the information regarding Umbra's skills on Chinaframe was taken from a build prior to the rework.

I just want Umbras to be a sidegrade to primes at least. I'm hoping DE isn't silly enough to make them a direct upgrade.

9 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

As far as I remember, the information regarding Umbra's skills on Chinaframe was taken from a build prior to the rework.

I just want Umbras to be a sidegrade to primes at least. I'm hoping DE isn't silly enough to make them a direct upgrade.

Completely agree, on the sidegrade. There are so many examples of pure preference in the visuals for me that I prefer regular frame over prime, but the stats are higher on the prime one so I stick with them.

Also I am really interested to see other how will we obtain other Umbra frames since Excal one will probably be revolved around Lore-heavy quest.