The+Second+Stream+Podcast:+Episode+1

[DE]Drew

The Second Stream Topics  

1,425 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Titania's Shrink ability should use the new Archwing controls (6-degrees of freedom) or should it use the Sharkwing (classic) controls?

• It should use the new controls with 6 degrees of freedom!
    • It should use Sharkwing (classic) controls!
    • I don't feel strongly either way.
    • No opinion on this topic.
  2. 2. How complex should the buffs be from Titania's Soul Swipe ability?

• Very complex - give me all the buffs!
    • Moderately complex - diverse, but not too complicated to remember.
    • Not complex - the buffs should be straightforward and practical.
    • I'm not sure - need more information.
  3. 3. With the upcoming Shadows of the Dead changes, do you think quality of Shadows is better than quantity?

• Yes, give me fewer but better Shadows.
    • No, I want an army of Shadows.
    • Other (post an explanation below)
  4. 4. Do you agree with the choice to add some less common melee weapons as Syndicate Weapons?

• Yes, give some love to less common weapons.
    • No, the popular melee weapons would have been a better choice.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
  5. 5. What is your opinion on breaking up big updates into several smaller updates?

• Break them up completely for more consistent updates over a long period.
    • Break them up a bit so we get chunks of new content intermittently.
    • Don't break them up so we get big update patches with breaks inbetween.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
  6. 6. Fun topic: choose all the video game labels that DON'T apply to Warframe!

• Dating Simulator
    • Survival Horror
    • Visual Novel
    • Roguelike
    • RTS
    • Casual

This poll is closed to new votes

5. What is your opinion on breaking up big updates into several smaller updates?

To be completely honest, i don't mind it (at the moment) cause as long as it takes and as badly as i want that quest...we are at the very least getting a polished cinematic quest. Along with some probable upcoming changes to other stuff. 

But i don't want it to be done too much for the next big updates if it's not necessary, i understand DE wishes to give us the best that they can give us but sometimes it's the small things that can make people happy. Not that i don't want more updates polished but honestly and honest to god "quest replay-ability" would fix a lot with the players themselves. Say if players play through the quest but there was a bug in the quest, it would be a big help if we could replay through those quests that were bugged at launch. But that's just me tho.

15 minutes ago, That1Cactus said:

:redveil: Rakta Dark Dagger is conflicting  mainly because there is already a Syndicate Mod for the Dark Dagger in Red Veil, so why would you repeat the same conflict that Vaykor Hek had? Is it another case of those who don't learn from history repeat it? Karyst would have been a more unique choice since it is rarely mentioned and even has the description of being an assassin's dagger. Or even Heat Dagger with the fire theme Red Veil goes with.

Actually it seems to be the Dark-Split Sword as well (See Dev 78 Overview)

3 minutes ago, Synpai said:

Actually it seems to be the Dark-Split Sword as well (See Dev 78 Overview)

Well then that totally takes out the idea of unpopular melee weapons because Heavy Blades and Dual Swords are far more popular that many other melee types. Which means the Karyst and Heat Dagger choices are suited for fiery assassins.

1 minute ago, That1Cactus said:

Well then that totally takes out the idea of unpopular melee weapons because Heavy Blades and Dual Swords are far more popular that many other melee types. Which means the Karyst and Heat Dagger choices are suited for fiery assassins.

Karyst / Heat Dagger would've been nice. *--*

3. With the upcoming Shadows of the Dead changes, do you think quality of Shadows is better than quantity?
While I don't really mind lowering count of shadows I can see a huge possible problems in here. While massive amount of shadows was usefull in for example defending objective simply by being "meatshields" blocking way of bullets, they weren't known for good AI, there is risk that smaller count of them may reveal how poor behavioral patterns are. 
Also definition of "quality" may vary a lot from player to player and be very different from summoning hierarchy that will be set. This may lead to some... unrest.
Possible solutions: (a) possibility to tailor summoning priority to ones preferences  (b)some way of selective unsummoning shadows. Something like soul-punch,terrify and melee it in quick succesion to unsummon unwanted one.
Though I suppose term quality used question could mean raw summons stats, and those aren't very important imo and I'd take quality over quantity in such case.

This question probably could be formulated better. The more I think about it the less I understand what kind of feedback is expected here.

4. Do you agree with the choice to add some less common melee weapons as Syndicate Weapons?
While I'm all for choosing less popular melees for syndicates, I can't understand why with all weapon types with low or no representation in so called "top tier" in performance, popularity or both (like scythes, claws, sparring, machetes, glavie, nuchaku, dual daggers, staff) two hammers were chosen, wheras hammers have immense presense in "god tier" both in popularity and performance (jat, fraggorP) and will result in powercreeping out of existence weapon that is less than few weeks old.

5. What is your opinion on breaking up big updates into several smaller updates?
I don't mind getting content in small portions.
What i mind is calling content deployement streching over several months a single update and constantly getting people over-hyped.

Edited by 5HV3N
I can't get it out of my head... When was last time you heard anyone mentiong nunchaku's in warframe?

1. Do you think Titania's Shrink ability should use the new Archwing controls (6-degrees of freedom) or should it use the Sharkwing (classic) controls?

> I don't feel strongly either way.
Either would work for me, I think.

2. How complex should the buffs be from Titania's Soul Swipe ability?

> I'm not sure - need more information.
Even their usability aside, how much of a burden of knowledge do you want to dump on the players?

3. With the upcoming Shadows of the Dead changes, do you think quality of Shadows is better than quantity?

> Other.
Quality > Quantity. And by this, I'm not talking about their stats, I'm talking about their combat effectiveness - which includes auras, abilities and AI.
That said, more quantity is advantageous up to a certain point. Past that point it's counterproductive.
(Imagine, just as an example, having 1 Shadow vs. 3 Shadows vs 10 Shadows vs 500 Shadows.)

4. Do you agree with the choice to add some less common melee weapons as Syndicate Weapons?

> Other.
Dedicated Syndicate weapons directly deprecate the 'vanilla' versions. (With the single exception of the Hek vs. Vk Hek - burst vs sustained damage, due to the multishot on Scattered Justice.)
This is fine if your game is based on vertical progression gear treadmilling and increasing enemy levels.
If it's not, you'll end up having to normalize everything at some later date - which often isn't well-received.

Taking a 'known good' weapon and making it better devalues and powercreeps the base (already good) weapon.
Taking a bad less common weapon and making a Syndicate clone of it; kills the base weapon completely, but potentially adds another weapon into the 'known good' weapons -> More weapon choices.

Personally, I think syndicates should never have offered clones. Augments both improve the base weapon - rather than undercutting them - and give them a syndicate flavor.
A bit late for that now, ofc.

> Other.
Updates should be split up if the content they offer overlaps, so each part can be appreciated.
Otherwise - as is usually the case - it makes no difference.

6. Fun topic: choose all the video game labels that DON'T apply to Warframe!

As Rebecca said, the issue isn't so much 'sticking it into boxes' as calibrating expectations and tailoring feedback.
To wit - Splinter Cell isn't the same game as Mass Effect isn't the same game as Dynasty Warriors.
I'll leave it at that.

Since you asked, though:
> Survival Horror On reflection, it rather can be - in "level appropriate" content.
> Roguelike
> Visual Novel
> RTS

Edited by Chroia

In all honesty I think the right choice was made for most of the Syndicate Melee Weapons. However, I'm kinda disappointed in the choice to make the Dark Dagger the Red Veil's weapon. It already has a Syndicate Augment, and I was hoping that we wouldn't get a repeat of the Hek. I feel like the Karyst would've made a better choice with it's design and toxin damage fitting an assassin-y theme. Finally, I hope the Synoid Heliocor doesn't scan since it would detract from the value of the normal version and Simaris' Reputation.

Finally, I think a good way to pad out the updates and to also let older players share something with new players is to bring back old events with similar or the same rewards and such. I can understand some changes to story or even adding something so that repeating events makes sense, and I think new and old players alike will enjoy being able to experience these.

Edited by Jade-Lotus
Bring back old events!

1. Do you think Titania's Shrink ability should use the new Archwing controls (6-degrees of freedom) or should it use the Sharkwing (classic) controls?

No 6DOF, but yes! Still answered Sharkwing.

Would have answered 6DOF if the it had a button to reset orientation OR we would actually get a rotation-axis controls. As of now the BIGGEST problem for me in the new AW 6dof is that you cannot control your rotation in any way. It' just chaotic and unnatural. In my opinion we need an option to have controls for the rotation, similar to any flight simulator. Keep the mouse look as is and strafing as is. Just add 2 more controls to forward-backward-axis-rotation. So we can manually set our orientation as we wish. Right now the only way to do that is to just wave our mouses around until we end up in the orientation we wanted and in fast paced gameplay that AW is; it gets reaaally wanky really fast and confusing.

WASD and UP/DOWN currently control all axis XYZ in their respective way
MouseLook control X and Z axis rotation, while the Y-axis (forward-backward movement) is lacking controls.

At least add a "orientation reset" button please, then I'm all in with the Titania 6DOF =)

Otherwise I love the 6DOF especially in Pursuit, which was awesome addition!

Thank you for all your hard work! =)

Edited by -Zr-Scroll
quotes

Readable answers to the questions above

1. Can the new controls come to consoles before making the change to the new frame 4th ability. Seems cool but I could end up not liking it. 

2. Well on the Devstream. You guys said yall had a sheet with 35 possible buffs on it. I could use some more info before giving my opinion on it. Is it possible the Titania can get all the buffs? If so, that seems a bit much.

3. I rather have few shadows that does great dmg than a lot with pity dmg. Seriously. As of now, they die faster than they can spawn in.

4. I would agree that less popular weapons can get some attention & get great buffs than from the original through syndicates. But I honestly either way is fine.

5. Breaking updates to smaller ones is a great idea for a couple of reasons. One is giving players something to do while leading up the last big part. Two, Gives DE some time to work on the last part so it won't feel rushed.

About the buffs: The best way would probably be to have different enemy types, like heavy units, flying units, melee units, etc. that all give similar buffs. And then the difference between the buffs can be the kind of damage, like bombards would add blast and other heavies would add a different damage type.
It would also be nice to have a hotkey that shows a lot of information on the screen. This can fill a big part of the screen, because it would only be temporary for checking out stats and buffs. The screen would show all the buffs with names and a description of the effect. It would also show the current stats, most importantly armor.

AI: I would like more information about how much damage the AI is doing. In the end of mission screen, you can see how much damage each player has done. Information about the way this damage is done is missing(was the player using warframe abilities or which weapon was it), there is no information about how much damage kubrows are dealing and it would be nice to see how much damage the shadows are dealing and how much damage the defense target in sorties is dealing with the weapon you gave him.

I think a mixture of popular and unpopular weapons would have better for syndicate weapons.
The dark dagger is totally fine. Red veil basically had to get a dagger, it makes sense.
The Telos Boltace were expected of course and are a great choice. The boltace are quite a lot of fun to use and I am exited to play with a top tier version of them.
The sydon has mainly puncture damage, but that's really the only good thing about it. There is already a good selection of top tier polearms. They don't have to be the best in terms of damage, like the nikana or a heavy blade. They just have the utility of high range and decent attack speed.
I can't really think about a corpus weapon, that I would have been happy to see for the perrin sequence. I guess the lecta is fine.
The magistar seems to be a popular weapon (in that people really want to have a good version of it) and I have to say it looks awesome. The issure here is, that there were quite a few hammers released lately and there is even another syndicate hammer. Maybe something different would have been better.
We just got the heliocor and now we already get the syndicate version. On top of that the regular heliocor is one of the strongest hammers in the game + it has its own special ability. I think because it can scan enemies, it actually didn't need top tier stats. I would rather have seen the dark-split-sword or the stradavar with really good stats, because their special thing isn't as useful.
I think there would have been a few other weapon choices, that players would actually really like to see, but that just don't have the stats to back it up. Those should have been in there and the rest could have actually been popular weapons.

I find it kind of hard to describe warframe to someone who has never played it before. Being able to describe warframe can help a lot to bring new players in.

Also when it comes to archwing and 6 degrees of freedom vs. the old controls. The map should adapt to the situation. Specifically in the sabotage mission, I often had a hard time finding the exit after destroying the reactor. Btw the map in general could use a rework. Especially when dealing with elevators, ramps, etc. the game often leads players in wierd directions.

Edited by gluih

it seems sensible to have Titania flight controls have a fixed up and down since there's gravity on ground maps

quality over quantity sounds good on nekros both for performance and gameplay reasons, i would suggest a rework of the effect of shield of shadows to compensate however, since the total damage reduction on the augment was tied to the number of active shadows on the map, having a max of 7 shadows means shield of shadows has been nerfed to only be able to give nekros a max of 42% damage reduction, shield of shadows can current max out at 90% damage reduction with enough power strength to summon 15 shadows

Titania:

Titania should definitely use the old flight system. We're not going to be in consistently large spaces that allow for six degrees of freedom, without becoming disorientating.

SotD:

The problem with Shadows of the Dead and Nyx's chaos ability is that the possessed/resurrected enemies hardly do any damage against their own allies. I think it would be much better if the possessed/resurrected where buffed by our strength stat or even the weapons we carry. Example; An enemy that uses a main gun would get buffed by our main weapon stats. A melee enemy would get buffed by our melee stats.

Syndicate Melee:

You can't satisfy everyone. No matter which way you go with either popular or unpopular someone will complain that their favourite weapon didn't get selected. Who can blame them when a nuke better than some frame abilities is practically strapped to each weapon.

My idea would be turn syndicates into a sort of secondary market. With each syndicate selling variant weapons that fit their style. That way people would have a variety of weapons to choose from. Then to diversify the weapons instead putting a nuke on everything just give the weapon an innate effect or change the weapon more then a slight buff.

Examples:

• changing the damage type
  • life-steal/leech
  • giving a larger buff but no affect
  • new elemental damage
  • innate punch-through
  • changing how the weapon fires

However don't just get rid of the nuke. We could put the nuke ability on a universal mod (for each syndicate) at a high price similar to the current syndicate weapons. That way players can still earn the nuke ability but must sacrifice a mod on their build to use it.

Updates:

I don't particularly mind how the updates come out. However from my perspective over the years, DE has done better with just putting content out the door when it's finished. Rather then gathering it all up into one major update. Separating the content into pieces/chunks does appear to work best for DE.

Edited by Postal_pat

Well, I think it'd be a bit weird for Titania to have the 6-degree freedom on most tilesets, but it could work on the open ones, such as Grineer Shipyards, Earth, Europa, etc. I'd still like a toggle between the two movement modes as well for normal Archwings, so that players can play more comfortably.

With the SotD change, I think it'll breath some new life into Nekros for sure, but some like myself like to overpower their opposition through sheer numbers when commanding an army. Besides the fun factor, its augment would be a little weaker than before depending on how the cap is implemented, and how exactly the units are selected/recycled. This one will be interesting for sure.

As others have mentioned, the Syndicate love given to weapons considered garbage by the community is a great idea, but these melee weapons don't show that idea well, if much at all really. The Lecta is a very good choice in my opinion. The Magistar is another decent choice, as I felt it lost appeal after the melee revamp and addition of better hammers. I also understand the Heliocor and Boltace, although it completely breaks the idea of giving love to shoddy equipment; considering that's a third of the equipment right there, it kind of defeats your purpose. That being said, the Sydon isn't really garbage, and there are indeed plenty of polearms. The Dark Dagger feels a bit redundant, much like the Hek scenario, due to the augment and all, but I can sympathize with the few players who enjoy daggers. I do slightly wish there were more weapons of other categories, such as sparring, gauntlet, and glaive type melees, maybe even a blade and whip or sword and shield, but you could very easily implement even more syndicate weaponry later, so it's no big fuss for now.

Finally, when it comes to breaking up the updates, I believe it to be a good idea, and also think that even though this time around it had a rough time, the idea is merely being tested and you'll only get better at implementing things this way. 

Keep up the good work!!

• I do prefer better shadows but I also don't want a small amount of those, I'm not saying it should be large but if you can only have 7 then that would be too small. 11-14 may be a better number. 
  • I like the fact that weapons people don't choose as often is being chosen but I hoped for weapons that are still more iconic like the Jat Kitag for Steel Meridian but I'm okay with the Sydon
  • I hope Titania's arch-wing shrink mode will have it's own vacuum much like the carrier 

+ I hope Titania can pick up her buffs in her shrink mode without having to dive into it.

• I never minded the hot fixes but I do believe holding off the new content to perfect is a good idea as long as it isn't stretched way too far. I am fine with the War Within being split. I just don't want to have done all this giant game has to offer and just play sorties and alerts over and over just for a quick update. 

Personally, I was expecting the Kokage (sparring weapon) to become a syndicate melee. We haven't had a sparring weapon since U10.7 and I personally would like a stronger sparring weapon so I can once again have fun with tat style of melee. I do love the uncommon syndicate melee weapons though.

Again, I'll state I don't believe the people chosen for the stream represent the community. I get why they're picked, but I would rather no stream than stream with players that are really only as informed as the average player. There's truly no difference other than that they've made a word for themselves. I feel like you could get more out of commentating on specific threads on the forums, which discuss these issues in more depth with more understanding.

On Archwing 6DOF, I feel like in environments that have a definitive up and down design, like Sharkwing, Corpus Trench Run, and Titania's ability should remain the classic style, and environments with no definitive up using the new method. This is pretty straight forward, as you have a natural, internal alignment to environments that demonstrate alignments of up and down, but in spaces that do not offer this, it'd be alright to allow 6DOF.

On Titania's Soul Swipe, I'm alright with a moderate complexity. Weaker units should drop simpler buffers, larger units should drop more complex buffs. For example, Lancers, Troopers, Butchers, and similar units would only drop like a 'Bane of Grineer', but they would get more complex from there. However, I feel like the mechanics of this should reflect the natural counter to each faction role. So, for example, the Corpus have the Defensive role, and the natural way to defeat Defense is Support, so you'd get 'support' styled buffs while fighting the Corpus, like health restores or radial enemy shield drain or something. But then, for the Grineer, being offensive, the natural counter is Defense, so you'd get buffs for defense, like increased damage for aim-down-sights or overshields while crouching, etc.

On the Quantity versus Quality on Shadows of the Dead, Quantity and Quality would have different benefits. Quantity suggests you want enemies to get more distracted with shadows, Quality suggests you want your shadows to deal more damage and actively kill the enemy. The former is a Control strategy, like a Tank, the other is an Offense strategy, like a DPS. It matters more what Nekros's role is supposed to be. Given he has Terrify, and that Soul Punch and Desecrate influence you to be in the fight taking the aggro off your allies, I'd think Nekros's role is a Tank, which makes him a control, which means I'd say give him a higher quantity of Shadows that are able to take more damage than they deal, to help you stay in the fight in order to draw off attacks from your allies. I'd also say make Nekros's shadows passively draw aggro from enemies.

On the Syndicate Melees, I have to admit, I don't see the reason for variant weapons in the first place, so I'd defy if you had made any weapon into a 'syndicate weapon'. I don't get why we need variants, when we have mods, and how you can justify just a generically, more powerful weapon.

I listed all but casual, but it comes with this disclaimer: Warframe can be casual, and it has casual elements, but overall it doesn't have to be.

Edited by Krion112

Shadows:

Quantity over quality as long as the augment exists. Reducing the numbers is directly detrimental to Nekros' survivability.

I'm torn between supporting you guys on splitting the update. u19 seems to have a lot more bugs than every other major update, so I'm not quite sure if splitting is a better idea. Please try to play every update with a "newbie" account so they don't get immediately neglected or their experience ruined by the update, especially with completely arbitrary and quite frankly unrealistic requirements (e.g. Draco 20 min survival when most people are just trying to rush through the star chart, or Caelus 3 interceptions when you still haven't fixed the motion sickness issue yet).

Edited by Guest

Personally with Shadows o the dead Having quality over quantity is a good change... However I believe that in addition to quality the augment for shadows of the dead should also be buffed to increase damage split to take account for the fewer shadows.