Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Stream 80: Carrier Changes feedback thread [Megathread]

DonGheddo

I can't be the only one who's noticed a trend of items getting names that don't immediately imply what you might think.

Carrier being one of them. 

A vacuum cleaner doesn't so much carry dust and rubbish, does it?

...ok, bad example because it does carry it around in the bag/chamber/whatever ready to be emptied. And that's exactly what Carrier should do but doesn't.

It just picks them up and dumps them on you. 

What I'd like to see is Carrier actually carry and store things for you, like a backpack, while making the current Vacuum ability available to all sentinels.

I'm sure a few Kohm users would still choose Carrier over others because of its ability to hold ammo to restore its enormous reserves.

Edited by Keybopsef

12 minutes ago, AntoineFlemming said:

Unless they only let you have one of them equipped at a time, which I wouldn't put past DE.

Now that's just salting the wounds, if they do that the forums will implode

12 minutes ago, CoRRh said:

My problem really just lies in how DE has consistently been disregarding community opinion on hot button issues that the community itself has brought up. The change doesn't sound terrible, honestly. It's the fact that the community has been brainstorming for months on the topic and gave a clear concensus on what a good portion of us want and they came up with a solution that just takes 3 steps back from the 2 steps forward it's going to make.

IMHO the fact that it didn't spontaneously occur to de to buff pickup range after seeing that >75% of  players have been using only carrier for years it's kinda sad, the fact that when they finally seem to partially acknowledge the issue they come out with a non-solution is mind boggling. 

Edited by bl4ckhunter

what DE is proposing is purely time wasting and quite frankly they should be concerned with more important things in the game than to continue trying to please spoiled brats.

you like to be a try hard use any of the companions other than carrier/ kubro equivalent.

some of us that plays don't have the luxury of endless time to be chasing loot drops so we choose< to use the tool provided by the devs.

pretty soon you all will want all companions to give the same crits buff as the new catbro the whining never ends.

all these nit picking of insignificant things that has little or no basis other than a few loudmouths getting in an ignorant tantrum because they don't like this or that has led  Warframe in the state it is in now >>crippled.

gosh when will DE grow up?

It's obviously going to be split up into mission critical drop pickups(oxygen), resources and mods, and health and energy. The entire point of the split is to make the convenience of being lazy more costly, and I for one hope those mods will end up as r10/20 point ones to provide a penalty to choosing them over things like health and shield mods that is actually significant. Alternatively, disallowing the slotting of more than one, or at least not all three, would force players to at least get off their butts for some things. We'll see how it'll turn out, but to expect that kind of functionality to come at basically no cost would be a foolish assumption.

9 minutes ago, CoRRh said:

My problem really just lies in how DE has consistently been disregarding community opinion on hot button issues that the community itself has brought up. The change doesn't sound terrible, honestly. It's the fact that the community has been brainstorming for months on the topic and gave a clear concensus on what a good portion of us want and they came up with a solution that just takes 3 steps back from the 2 steps forward it's going to make.

50 whiny players on a forum doesn't make for a "clear consensus". There are plenty of us who are perfectly happy to never see a universal vacuum.

Players almost always make terrible designers. They ask for more and more convenience, without realizing that being handed everything ruins the game. The most popular games of all time, and those with the most longevity, are difficult while still being fun.

Loot items don't affect combat, so whether or not you get them doesn't affect your success in the mission. If you and the other players really don't enjoy picking up loot items, then just start telling DE that you don't enjoy picking up loot items!

Do you have any idea how easy it would be for DE to make loot items get auto-added to your inventory? Then we could get rid of vacuum, and make it so that only health and energy orbs would drop - things that actually affect combat.

Good grief, people having to pick up resources is gonna blow people's minds. I've feeling the burn from people petrified they'll die If they have to manually pick up loot (as it you can't collect it being mobile lol), that having to favour one type of pickup vacuum over another will mean they're at a massive disadvantage, that other sentinels will die so it HAS to be Carrier!

I main Kubrows - I've no idea how I've survived all those hours of WF since launch against enemies whilst having to pickup loot. I'm still crying tears of anguish at fallen allies dead all around me because carrier would not pickup void traces for them leaving them baffled to such a state of confusion the operator disconnects from the warframe!!!!

There's 2 legit issues with this change. Loot outta reach in extremely rare occasions (equip right mod - fixed) and colour blind players (equip right mod - fixed). The rest? People who are outright terrified of having to adapt, itll pass. Better yet they discover Kubrows and Kavats - significantly better companions at the cost of credits, micromanagement and a lot more endo/forma to really show what a companion can do. High MR players should be embarrassed for using Carrier - they're too experienced to have not got more the more endgame viable options.

29 minutes ago, xXRiomaXx said:

why would DE chop it up into 3 options in the first place?

I have no idea.

Obviously they think it's something people want.

I'd disagree with that 100%.  Universal vacuum yes.  Universal nerf to vacuum, sentinels, kubrows, and kavats?  Certainly not.

I'm trying to offer a solution that DE might like and caters to both the people that like Vacuum as is and the picky people that they're trying to cater to.

Sure, but both of your solutions have the options "all or nothing."

Oh by odin's beard, why not just make it a freaking innate passive ON ALL COMPANIONS? Why split it like this? that is so BEYOND pointless. There's no reason to do that, you're not doing anything positive by splitting it like this. Yes now it's available to all companions but at the same time, IT ISN'T. Now most will have to re-forma companions, which unless something's changed while I was napping that's one of the biggest pains there is in this game. I realize with everyone getting it Carrier loses his identity, I was fine with that. everyone should have it, but we shouldn't need 3 mods to do ONE thing. if it's going to be a mod, it should be ONE slot, one. and at that, it should be an exilus mod, because lets face it. It's time companions got an ex slot due to the growing number of mods for them that are worthless in the grand scheme of builds

Kavats already compete. If you don't find a use for them more than vacuum that is your personal problem. Vacuum is only great for new players since they need pretty much everything. The further down the line you are in MR, the less use of vacuum the more use of x2 resources or damage. Which either kavat greatly improves.

3 minutes ago, SoulEaterReaper said:

My and everyone's precious carrier with its special vacuum, and thats exacly why carrier is carrier, if you give every sentinel vacuum you ruin the carrier for what its been for years.

exactly HOW does it ruin carrier? if anything carrier will be even more master race with the added precept.

somebody call a trinity we need vaccinations for special snowflake syndrome here ASAP

5 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

It's obviously going to be split up into mission critical drop pickups(oxygen), resources and mods, and health and energy. The entire point of the split is to make the convenience of being lazy more costly, and I for one hope those mods will end up as r10/20 point ones to provide a penalty to choosing them over things like health and shield mods that is actually significant. Alternatively, disallowing the slotting of more than one, or at least not all three, would force players to at least get off their butts for some things. We'll see how it'll turn out, but to expect that kind of functionality to come at basically no cost would be a foolish assumption.

I have never understood the laziness argument.  It implies that doubling back to a room you already cleared to pick up loot is a vital and important part of the gaming experience.  I disagree.  Playing the Second Dream for the first time is a vital and important part of the experience, not staring at the ground looking for loot.  Also we do not know what the exact divisions are going to be so saying it's obviously one thing or the other if a mistake.

"Carrier and Carrier Prime will now be given a new precept, which buffs your Ammo Capacity (increasing with the precept level). Unused ammo types will be converted into the ammo of the currently equipped weapon over a small period of time."

Well I suppose it does fit with the name Carrier, carrying more ammo for all you murdering Grineer, Corpus, Infested, Acolyte, Corrupted and Sentient needs.