The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

shouldnt frames have resistance?

like frost shouldn't he have ice resistance because it says he is colder and deadlier than space but then gets affected by a simple ice puddle

i dont want it to be op so like if there is a sortie and theres a lightning effect on volt wont be resistant to that but on normal missions like that arc trap wont affect him you know?

or atleast have less effect on them so say a arc trap does 130 electric damage but on volt its only 30 electric damage

Edited by (PS4)kamil_demon

The issue is that some elements are much more common than others. Heat is used by various Grineer units, and frequently appears in missions like Sabotage and invasions. Toxin damage is used very extensively by the Infested through Mutalist ospreys and Toxic ancients, as well as venomous Eximi, in fact Toxin is probably going to make up most of the damage dealt to you if you can keep your shields up. Meanwhile, Cold is barely used by anything other than ice puddles in Sabotage and a few other places, and Shock is really only used by Arc traps.

If elemental frames had resistances to their element then Ember and Saryn would have an unfair advantage over the others for many missions, and more people would pick them just for the resistance, rather than their actual abilities and type of gameplay.

30 minutes ago, Type-8 said:

Always thought that Frost should be immune to cold damage. Same with Volt, Ember, Saryn and Mag, with their respective damage types.

Well, not necessarely. I found the new passive for Ember very smart, for example : Reloading your energy faster while you take fire damage.

Much more interesting and balanced than a very common elemental immunity.

2 minutes ago, Stonehenge said:

Well, not necessarily. I found the new passive for Ember very smart, for example : Reloading your energy faster while you take fire damage.

Interesting? Yes.

Smart? Not really, considering that Ember is a relatively squishy frame, and that all Grineer fire units are hard hitters.

3 minutes ago, Beggining said:

Interesting? Yes.

Smart? Not really, considering that Ember is a relatively squishy frame, and that all Grineer fire units are hard hitters.

And you do not take fire damages only from Grineers fire units, it's a very common elemental damage. Maybe the amount of energy you recover per second could be raised, though, because it's true, she's squishy.

Edited by Stonehenge

Just now, Stonehenge said:

And you do not only take fire damages only from Grineers fire units, it's a very common elemental damage. Maybe the amount of energy you recover per second could be raised, though.

Inddeed, but if you're making a case for the patches of fire in Sabotage missions, then Frost and Volt should get the same treatment as well.

3 minutes ago, Beggining said:

Inddeed, but if you're making a case for the patches of fire in Sabotage missions, then Frost and Volt should get the same treatment as well.

mmh why not imagine indirects benefits from cold and electricity ? Like a cold aura for Frost or a bolt damages boost for Volt.

Edited by Stonehenge

I would make them able to resist some of the damage not all but taking damage of that type procs a damage boost for there attacks.

Ember say hit by a fire attack is able to resist say 30% of the damage and gets a short fire damage proc and so on for each element frame.

It might be a tad broken with Saryn tho when fighting infested but you could just give her a weaker effect or set it to only proc once every x time.

Anyway, as YUNoJump said, elemental resistance for elemental frames would be unbalanced and silly, not to mention elemental immunity. Sounds logic on paper, but it's a complete gameplay breaker.

But i'm totally agree with adding more interactions and tactical interest between each frames and their "own" element when they take some damages.

Could be a good suggestion topic, maybe someone made it already.

I feel like Frost should be immune to the cold proc slow, seeing as he's slow enough already and can literally create a giant bubble of super-cooled air that freezes everything it contacts and slows everything else that enters it.

Perhaps Volt could act as a lightning rod, stopping the arcing effect of electric attacks like arc traps form spreading to his allies, or even being able to direct them to enemies (while still taking normal damage himself).

Ember's one makes sense to some degree and keeps it interesting.

Saryn could maybe do with a small resistance to toxic damage, or at least a shortening of proc length for toxin procs.

Those resistance mods would have a use if these mods impelemnted into the warframes and the resistance can be improve by adding a different character customization extra like how diablo and other games have. Stat points can be distribute into these stats "all type of resistance and hp-shield-armor" and you can increase these within a certain level for example : 1 level is 1 point which can be distributed to the stats like this : 1 point mean +5% to any resistance if you wish boost your armor then +10 armor if hp and shield then both can be +25/25. This and the current unused mods can be worthwile because afterward the stat boosts they can increase your resistance up to 80-90% max.

Currently there is no stats for the resistances or hided but if they just want to do some worth for resistance they should consider this as example. 

Well people like to solve everything with the space magic phrase, but if you follow the lore, warframes is just techno-organic equipment fueled by a bizarre energy, not actual wizards that bend the elements, Ember is as fireproof as a RL firethrower is. And if you do give resistances or immunities there is ground to argue tha Frost is weaker to fire and should take more damage.

25 minutes ago, Pavelord said:

Well people like to solve everything with the space magic phrase, but if you follow the lore, warframes is just techno-organic equipment fueled by a bizarre energy, not actual wizards that bend the elements....

I have to agree with this space magic isn't really the answer to it all -though in some ways you would think they would create some frames to have more resistances than others (lore wise) -so when your a frame dealing with fire (like ember) you don't accidentally burn yourself (well itself) as much -as in give the frame a fire retardant coating (etc) so when in use if the operator messes up that fire ball and drops it on her foot she wouldn't take as much damage XD --basically if your something that deals with an element a lot you dress to protect yourself from that...

On 01/10/2016 at 6:02 PM, Pavelord said:

Well people like to solve everything with the space magic phrase, but if you follow the lore, warframes is just techno-organic equipment fueled by a bizarre energy, not actual wizards that bend the elements, Ember is as fireproof as a RL firethrower is. And if you do give resistances or immunities there is ground to argue tha Frost is weaker to fire and should take more damage.

yeah so people are saying it would be OP to have resistance/ imunity to certain elements ect but the fact that like for example frost would take more fire damage would even it all out

if DE doesnt make it too effective either way

I've accidentally chosen warframes based on environmental hazard because I've perceived them to have resistances that they don't have. I think it would definitely be a cool concept, but again, the warframe are just suits that generate and project the force or element rather than control it "in the wild"

On 10/1/2016 at 2:54 AM, Stonehenge said:

Well, not necessarely. I found the new passive for Ember very smart, for example : Reloading your energy faster while you take fire damage.

it actually helps my build as i have regen on my ember already  ;D 

but in all honesty i think that should be the passive for other elemental types as well ...

On 10/1/2016 at 5:57 AM, Beggining said:

Interesting? Yes.

Ember frequently beneifts from being at least a little tanky, and even at base defensive values she's got some survivability over other mages. As Ember, I will actually seek out flame puddles to regen energy faster, since the damage from a Heat proc is pretty negligible as long as I'm not face-tanking a Napalm or something.

2 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

it actually helps my build as i have regen on my ember already  ;D 

but in all honesty i think that should be the passive for other elemental types as well ...

This guy knows what's up.

Although I kind of like the other elemental frame's passives being very different from Ignition (Ember's passive). One because fire damage is dished out much more commonly than other elements, and two because the current passives on elemental frames suit them (relatively) well. Saryn gets added Status Duration because she works around proccing as many enemies as possible. Frost has a bit of a lackluster passive, but it helps his melee game and is a decent complement to his simple yet powerful kit. Volt charges up energy for his next outburst. Mag pulls objects toward her. And Ember thrives on the destructive chaos of flame itself, bolstering her mage-y abilities by subjecting herself to some of that destruction.

Also, apparently Ember gains 35% Power Strength when she's on fire?! Hot damn!

the way it should be IMO:

- Ember is immune to fire damage and gains energy when set on fire.*

- Saryn is immune to Toxin and her bullet jumps leave toxic clouds behind.

- Volt is immune to electricity and has a chance to zap nearby enemies, with guaranteed shock but low damage.

- Frost is Immune to Cold and freezes enemies who melee him.*

- Mag is immune to Magnetic Procs, and those who cast it on her are pushed back (Magnetic Repulsion)

*the latter parts of these are already true, but it should work like in Borderlands, which had a very simple system: you can't really deal any sort of damage to an enemy with the element that they're already using. sadly I don't ever see this system being implemented.

9 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

the way it should be IMO:

- Ember is immune to fire damage and gains energy when set on fire.*

- Saryn is immune to Toxin and her bullet jumps leave toxic clouds behind.

- Volt is immune to electricity and has a chance to zap nearby enemies, with guaranteed shock but low damage.

- Frost is Immune to Cold and freezes enemies who melee him.*

- Mag is immune to Magnetic Procs, and those who cast it on her are pushed back (Magnetic Repulsion)

*the latter parts of these are already true, but it should work like in Borderlands, which had a very simple system: you can't really deal any sort of damage to an enemy with the element that they're already using. sadly I don't ever see this system being implemented.

As mentioned above, complete immunity to a certain element doesn't make sense in Warframe, because different elements are assigned based on actual design and some are much more common than others. If full toxin resistance was available on Saryn then everyone would just take Saryn to every high-level infested mission just for the indirect tankiness, ruining balance for Infested missions. Meanwhile, there are so few sources of Cold damage that such an immunity on Frost wouldn't mean anything.

I can definitely see the parallels with Borderlands' elemental system, but the big difference is that Warframe's elemental damage/resistance is put on things in a way that actually makes sense and adds to the design of enemies and locations, whereas Borderlands basically throws out a bunch of enemies that just happen to have Fire/Shock/etc powers assigned to them for no reason other than raw gameplay, that's fine but it's not the way Warframe chooses to operate.

I am on the side the frames need resistances to the said elements but not full immunity. The resistance mods mostly unused because there are no stats and space for them so there is no reason to use them. If the devs want these to be used They should add mod slots dedicated for resistance mods or utility only then these mods can be useful sometimes. It would be a simple addition and that does not make more powercreep than the op weapons what we have but increase the survivalibity in normal levels.