Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why nerf vacuum?

(PSN)official_79

Tons of times it has been suggested to just allow vacuum to be a mod across all companions or atleast sentinels. DE did that, but nerfed the range to 1/6th of its current one.

Why go the extra mile in nerfing it? Whats the point? Why put more time into such a simple and mundane change? 

There are three groups of players from what i've seen : 1) Players who exclusively use carrier because of its vacuum 2) Players who dont care for vacuum enough to choose carrier over other sentinels 3) Players who just use whatever

If you made vacuum universal, and gave carrier a new passive to compensate : All 3 groups would go home happy, as they all would get something from it

If you made vacuum universal, nerfed it, and gave carrier a new passive to compensate : Group 2 and 3 would be just fine with it, group 1 would be nettled, because the one thing they used carrier for just got nerfed without them asking for it

Why not go with the path that satisfies all 3 groups? If all 3 groups were totally satisfied you wouldn't be seeing the storm of vacuum posts, its clear a wrong decision was made

Consider Reactant, Ayatan Stars, and Ayatan Sculptures. DE seems to have decided that they need to take steps to slow us down. WIth that pattern in mind, the apparent incoming reduction to vacuum's range is a very logical extension. We evidently spend too much time parkouring about killing things and being ninjas, and not enough time looking at the ground, stopping to manually collect things.

Edited by pauli133

I'd say money, but most likely I'd imagine it opens them up to placing in new mods that boost the area effect. Thus adding more wheels for everyone to run through in order to get them. Also,  I'd say better to go in with a small area effect right out of the gate rather than a larger one in order to judge the community threshold. If they had started with a greater effect the "no fun police" would throw a tantrum until it got nerfed, thus plunging everyone into the depression being experienced now with nowhere to go but further down the nerf poop shoot. 

So now they can start off underwhelming and just raise it slowly till they hit the sweet spot where the silent masses are fine, the no fun guys can still be smarmy and call people lazy, and the rest can parkour with their beloved Helios Sentienels collecting loot not completely happy, but happy enough. 

1 minute ago, pauli133 said:

It's 1/6th the horizontal area.

True, but is that really how it should be viewed?  I would have thought the more important thing was how wide it is as you move down a path.  It doesn't matter that much how much area in front of you is covered if you are going to run towards that anyway.  I guess it means you'll miss more loot from things killed behind you though.

DE is in Canada, Canada is cold, resistance in an electrical circuit causes heat. Somewhere in the DE office there is a space heater being powered by the resistance to changes in the game. When it starts to get colder they decide it is time change things that are not broken. When it becomes dark they send for angry villagers carrying torches. 

Edited by Pyus

Just now, Magnulast said:

1: Because lag makes another player possibly hog materials.

2: Encouraging you know, movement

It would actually discourage movement. 

You could either zip around like a manifestation of Sanic, killing enemies and not missing resources, or kill something, slow down a bit to get the resource, then go back to what you were doing

Continuously moving not missing anything > stopping/slowing down whenever a resource drops 

If something is too good or used too often...DE's most common answer is to rebalance it.  But the rebalance never involves enhancing the alternatives.  It's simpler to just knock down the one thing that's really good in order to make the alternatives look more appealing.  That's not an accusation, it's something they've done time and time again.

It's a passive-aggressive approach to encourage players to use different gear.

Unfortunately, some people don't like change.

So there will be additional zizag walking while you play with carrier now? Might not be much but not doing zigzag walking at all will always be better. 

If they want other sentinels/companion to have vacuum ability, why not just give them leaving their hands off from carrier. 

36 minutes ago, (PS4)official_79 said:

Tons of times it has been suggested to just allow vacuum to be a mod across all companions or atleast sentinels. DE did that, but nerfed the range to 1/6th of its current one.

Why go the extra mile in nerfing it? Whats the point? Why put more time into such a simple and mundane change? 

There are three groups of players from what i've seen : 1) Players who exclusively use carrier because of its vacuum 2) Players who dont care for vacuum enough to choose carrier over other sentinels 3) Players who just use whatever

If you made vacuum universal, and gave carrier a new passive to compensate : All 3 groups would go home happy, as they all would get something from it

If you made vacuum universal, nerfed it, and gave carrier a new passive to compensate : Group 2 and 3 would be just fine with it, group 1 would be nettled, because the one thing they used carrier for just got nerfed without them asking for it

Why not go with the path that satisfies all 3 groups? If all 3 groups were totally satisfied you wouldn't be seeing the storm of vacuum posts, its clear a wrong decision was made

Will you people PLEASE stop over exaggerating on this -_- its just halved the range, its not like its become totally useless. And for those, like me who never liked Carrier to begin with, this it realy doesn't matter anyway. just further encourages players to try out different sentinals than just some floating tear drop with lousy aim and a shot gun. halving it was probably an attempt to keep things balanced within the game, we'll probably find out in this weeks dev. stream or, even sooner, this weeks prime time. so please stop all the negativity and rejoice in the fact that the reign of carrier is over.

Look who failed high-school maths.

Area of a 5m circle = pi X 5^2 = 78.5m

Area of a 12m circle = pi X 12^2 = 452.4m

452.4 / 78.5 = 5.8 = 1/6th of the area, meaning you have to cover 6 times the area to pick up the same amount.

This is supposed to be a shooter game, but instead of working on combat and movement mechanics, the devs keep shoe-horning in more and more ways to have us running around picking things up (or worse, scanning them).  If I wanted to play that kind of game, I get plenty of those kinds of quests in WoW.

Now don't get me wrong, I like exploring to find things, it's just that this is a coop game, and not eveyone in the mission has the same goals (and the one guy taking his kubrow round all the lockers in a Jackal assassination, really f's the game up for the other 3 people sat waiting on top of the boss). 

Surely it would be better to have a mission type specifically for finding items in, without even the seperate goal we have in sabotage, that way we can have co-operational coop, where everyone in the mission has the same goals.

Edited by polarity

Carreirs 12m range went against this games whole point about mobility by making it possible for you to just stand still and loot. Carrier was meant to be an assistant not your personal loot slave. Personally I would prefer if they removed vacuum altogether or nerf it into the ground where it belongs.

21 minutes ago, Magnulast said:

1: Because lag makes another player possibly hog materials.

Materials are shared, what are you talking about?

Also Vacuum works in a spherical pattern, by reducing its range from 12m to 5m effectively makes its volume almost 14 times smaller.