The Second Stream Podcast: Episode 4

[DE]Drew

The Second Stream  

672 members have voted

1. 1. How balanced do you think companions are to each other now with the Vacuum changes?

• Mostly balanced, with a few exceptions.
    • Somewhat balanced, many still need work.
    • Not balanced, only a few are worth using.
    • Other (post an explanation below)
    • No opinion on this topic.
  2. 2. If you don't use Kavats or Kubrows, how come? (can select all that apply)

• Don't like their AI
    • Don't like their upkeep cost
    • Underpowered
    • *I do use them, but I still have issues with some of the above
  3. 3. Are you excited to participate in The Index (Corpus version of Rathuum)

• Kill all the Corpus!
    • I wanna gamble.
    • Clan event? Yes please!
    • Meh, not interested.
  4. 4. What is your first impression of Ash's Blade Storm targeting change?

• I like it - seems fun.
    • I'm not sure - need more info.
    • The targeting and triggering worries me.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
  5. 5. Will you use the mission creator with your clan?

• Yes, definitely!
    • Yes, but only if there are rewards of some kind.
    • No, I'm not interested or I don't play with a clan.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
  6. 6. Do you plan to run a dedicated PC server?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe - need more information.
  7. 7. Would you spend 100 Argon to craft an Argon Decoration?

• Yes, I'm hardcore.
    • No, Xeno and H3dsh0t are crazy.
    • Maybe - depends on how it looks!

This poll is closed to new votes

9MdBF2s.jpg

Our recording schedule is still a bit sporadic from travelling and other events, but we're got a new episode for you with great guests and topics. Episode 4 covers the recent vacuum changes, The War Within's delay, some discussion on upcoming graphical improvements, The Index (Corpus version of Rathuum), clan-created missions, and a few extras. To hear more from our guests, click the links below. Enjoy!

Guests:
AGGP

H3dsh0t

DKDiamantes

Xenogelion

Also available on iTunes & Google Music!

1. Carrier Prime is the most durable and is now even better a choice for Ammo Case. I don't use vacuum except for niche builds. I don't like random junk flying at my face. It's a shooter. Stuff flying at my face is trying to kill me. 

2. I use them most of the time. Only issues off the top of my head are how Sunika and Sahasa share an ability so Sahasa is 100% superior except for a single mission type, and Chesa's Retrieve being unreliable. 

3. Yes. 

4. New Bladestorm looks good except I'd change Hold to Toggle. 

5. Yes. 

6. Probably, even though I have never played conclave. 

7. Xeno and H3dsh0t are crazy, but I am too sometimes. Don't know about this though. 

Edited by KinetosImpetus

For ash blade storm it would be cool if it was a toggle for targetting and when you desactivate it it start the killing. ( controller user here ^.^ )

For the Index i'm never against killing me some corpus and if i can make credits out of it i'm in !

For sentinel it would be cool to have something like an item you can use that revive them. Or maybe a landing craft particular ability ?

If all of my kubrows and kavats could give me back my shield like all my sentinels can, i would use it more often.

And also the ai is bad, i never see my kubrow capturing targets when he is supposed to do that, would be nice to have some controls for our pets as well.

Attack mod / Sealth mod / Come back to me.

And ressources decorations should be crafted with ressources, not only via the shop :l

3. I'll play Corpus Rathuum, but honestly I'm disappointed that you chose to add another mode that will probably take many of the best Corpus enemies, instead of nerfing their damage (so they aren't intended as a 1-1 battle with players) and adding them to the main game. At least with the Grineer, that faction is arguably in the best shape (which doesn't mean as much as I want it to). The Corpus manage to both be dull to fight and be frustrating consistently.

4. It's not exactly that I have issues with targeting and triggering, and I don't want current Bladestorm to stay. My issue is that you've essentially just created another Fatal Teleport, and that I don't think this new version encourages Ash players to use their whole kit. And I'm not a fan of an ability just being a cutscene.

My hopeful Ash 4 rework would drain energy and buff all of Ash's other abilities. The new Bladestorm would essentially be what I'd make the buffed Teleport, but with a much lower max target list (and Ash would stay at the location of the last target). But I don't mind if it isn't that; I just don't think the rework fixes the issues with Bladestorm.

1. the Vacuum being universal is nice (PS4 player so i cant really say from experience). however stat-wise, Carrier prime still would be the choice to go with here. buff the other sentinel's stats.

2. i prefer to use the Kubrows and Kavats, but i throw in the sentinels every now and again.

3. cant wait to see what you guys do with The Index

4. it interests me, but i would like to see some more about it. not really an Ash (Prime) player, but i have fun when i do play him

5. heck yea. would be nice to have some rewards thrown in there, but i plan on making some sick missions for my clan mates

6. PS4 player, cant really dedicate a server haha

7. i would gladly make the argon sculpture. maybe not for 100, but i would like to have it in my ship. (still waiting fro PS4 update to add the decorations)

My biggest problem with Ash's bladestorm is that the activation is basically a cutscene (a very slow one despite having maxed fury/speed mods). I would like it if the animation can be cut down in time, or doing something  else while in the bladestorm animation. If i can throw a suggestion, maybe put a QTE mechanics in the Bladestorm animation that either boosts its damage, or reduce its animation time/makes bladestorm happen faster, OR increase its duration per successful buttom prompts (the longer, the more successive prompts commands appear, i.e 3 button prompts instead of 1 button prompt). The reason why i dont like the cutscene is that it breaks the pace of the flow of battle, and it also causes invincibility for the enemies targeted by ash's bladestorm, plus its boring to look at once you've seen it happen the nth time.

Im fine with kavats and kubrows. But i'd wish i can give commands to them to come back if they're too aggressive (since they tend to go down in the thick of battle). But the one thing i do want for kavats and kubrows is the ability to add weapons or actual armor mechanics to them like in Zoids (e.x: Twin barrel cannons on the back, swords on the sides, heat claws/ heat jaws, shield generators, etc) 

Basic reason I do not use Kavats or Kubrows:

The same reason that I mained Carrier before the (very much appreciated Vaccuum change)...... They have no vaccuum. Until they have the same vaccuum utility as sentinels currently have, I would be unlikely to use them except in rare instances. 

2. If you don't use Kavats or Kubrows, how come?

I don't use the Kavats and Kubrows 'cause they don't have vacuum.  All of the other buffs and supplementary firepower any of the companions provide takes a back seat to power creep as a veteran player, I could run without a companion and still breeze through the Star Chart content.  If vacuum were to be available to Kavats and Kubrows I would still use sentinels because I don't want to be bothered with maintaining Kavats and Kubrows.  I prefer the maintenance free aspect of the sentinels.

1) some sentinels srihave serious durability issues, making carrier prime remain as the king for players who want something that will let enemies be (no knockdown, no dumber enemies, no death ray, no zapping, etc.) Maybe change the durability mods to work in the same way as pet stat links? This would require a re balance pass on both mods and sentinels stats, but I guess it would be a great change.

2) I love my sunika kubrow (managed to make it look sonewhat similar to one of my real life dogs) but I think he's usually too dumb to do fine in mission. A command wheel to trigger some actions or "mindsets" (not sure how to explain) such as hush, be aggressive, retrieve, wait here, attack there, etc. (I'm awful at names) would be amazing.

The other problem i see is their upkeep, I currently see no reason to take a dumb pet with genetic decay and loyalty system over a reliable but non durable machine that only follows me while doing it's thing.

• Make vacuum as innate to all warframe (6-8m)
    • adjust vacuum mod for sentinels and pets (+6 to 4m)
    • total vacuum still 12m max
  • More clan activities = good direction
    • Make rewards clan-related
      • Dojo decorations
      • free research pts (allow points to be use for any research without costing resources and/or waiting time)
  • Don't care too much of the changes (mostly likely it's a nerf but warranted) but dislike the mechanic
    • Having to hold down 4 to mark is terrible
    • Press 4 to activate Mark mode --> mark --> press 4 to activate BS
  • Mission creator look promising
  • Not on PC
  • 100 Argon for Argon Decoration? Why not?
    • Related
      • When will we get a gun that shoots credits (credits as ammo)
      • When will we get a gun that shoots alloy plates (allow plates as ammo)
      • When will we get a gun that shoots -- insert overly abundant resource here --
      • When will you create a Credit Syandana that cost 100M credits

Is there a transcript? Not all of us can do much with just audio. :)

1. How balanced do you think companions are to each other now with the Vacuum changes?

First, I think universal Vacuum is brilliant, and long overdue. That said, the current modding situation with sentinels - that is, a huge list of near-mandatory mods - has highlighted that if you skip the sentinel specific precepts (other than targeting), you're left with Carrier Prime as being head and shoulders above the rest in terms of survivability. For me, there's no compelling reason to use anything other than Carrier Prime as my Vacuum-bearer. I like Helios, but I prefer not seeing it marked as DEAD.

2. If you don't use Kavats or Kubrows, how come? (can select all that apply)

They can't use vacuum, and the AI behavior is awful. I'm personally past the point of caring about the upkeep costs, though the fact that they even have upkeep costs is moderately offensive, given their uselessness. Howl of the Kubrow should be delayed till at least MR12 to prevent new players from getting into something they can't afford.

3. Are you excited to participate in The Index (Corpus version of Rathuum)

First, what it's being compared to - Rathuum. Rathuum is a forgettable UT knockoff in isolation, and a negative part of the Warframe experience as a whole. The fact that it's required to get Saryn and Chroma really bothers me. The irony of the Kela rework is that with the exception of frame parts, her drops are better farmed in Sorties at level 100 than on the star chart, because that doesn't require Rathuum. Warframe simply did not need a twitch shooter botmatch bolted on. 

Now, about the Index. All I know so far is that it involves the Corpus, and it's been consistently likened to Rathuum. I'm trying to keep an open mind - maybe it'll prove to be something different, like the battlebots suggestions that float about - but I'm pessimistic. Corpus rely on even more gimmicky mechanics than Grineer do - nullifiers, glaxions-of-doom, etc. I'm not looking forward to it.

4. What is your first impression of Ash's Blade Storm targeting change?

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of clumsy, slow micromanagement. I get that Bladestorm needs work, but "press this, hold down that, tag those, eventually attack if your friends haven't killed them all first" is starkly counter to the pace of Ash's gameplay. Further, every controller-using player I've talked to (on PC or console) is completely baffled as to how they're going to manage.

5. Will you use the mission creator with your clan?

Being able to pick mission type, enemy type, tileset, and enemy level is something I've wanted for a long time. I'm curious to see how it's worked into the balance and reward structure of the game. There are certain combinations that aren't available to players on the star chart, so this could be great.

6. Do you plan to run a dedicated PC server?

Not if it's for PvP!

7. Would you spend 100 Argon to craft an Argon Decoration?

If it's there, I'll build it.

1 & 2: Sentinels/Kavats/Kubrows: Overall, I feel the sentinels are way above the fray, if only because you can swap sentinels on the fly, whereas if you want to swap from say, a Kubrow to a Kavat or vice-versa, you must first take it out of the freezer and shove it in the microwave half an hour to thaw it. Even among Sentinels, Carrier/Prime is a step above the others, even being tankier than the dedicated tanking/bodyguard sentinel, Wyrm/Prime.

Edited by Alenn_Tax

The reason primarily that I don't use either kavat or kubrow is that they don't have vacuum and their power is a none issue as I usually kill everything before they get the chance.
Also their combat algorithm (or wathever, AI?) seems slow particularly the kavat. I have on occasion, to find out how cool my kavat would look fighting, been standing near enemies so as to give it the opportunity to do its thing but it just stood there and got murdered by the enemies. My Kavat will literally just stand in a ready pose for up to 10 seconds before doing anything, a fine trait for a feral kavat seeing as you need to be able to scan them but on my own bred, tamed and combat trained kavat I'd like it to be more responsive in combat.

On a related note is that while scavenge works fine on kubrows I think it needs a larger activation range on kavat it is sometimes nearly impossible to get them to try to open lockers, on this point I don't mind if my kubrow/kavat goes around opening lockers in the middle of combat since as stated their combat value is of no importance.

Another related note can you possibly give kubrows and kavats  a longer leash as they many times just stay close while enemies are pelting my warframe with their annoyance.
Suggestion give them 50m range and they'll only charge of to kill things in line of sight of their operator. A secondary thought at 60-75m they'll disengage to return, however if there are other enemies in range it should not return completely but rather select next target.

1. How balanced do you think companions are to each other now with the Vacuum changes?

Universal vacuum is a much-needed, overdue change that opened up more Sentinel options to choose from. In terms of balance, the fact that Carrier Prime has a higher survivability than the other sentinel compels me to use it more than the others. Overall, the fact that the majority of sentinels are utterly delicate in comparison to Carrier Prime makes me avoid bringing them to any high-level missions, as chances are that the Sentinel will eventually end up dead and unable to be used for the rest of the mission, unless I die. 

2. If you don't use Kavats or Kubrows, how come? (can select all that apply)

The fact that they have to be maintained with DNA Stabilizers due to decreasing genetic stability, incurring an upkeep cost that is absent with sentinels, which are more convenient overall. The AI of these companions are questionably bad, and we are unable to influence how the Kubrow/Kavat performs actions, just like how a dog obeys its master's commands. I personally feel that if we were given some sort of way to directly command the Kubrow/Kavat to do something, or attack a particular enemy, it will be a major QoL change that is greatly appreciated. 

3. Are you excited to participate in The Index (Corpus version of Rathuum)

Why, certainly. I am excited to participate, but I hope that it will offer a challenge without mandating the use of cheese builds due to unfun mechanics that are pretty common with the Corpus (i.e. Nullifier Bubbles, Sapping Osprey mines, one shotting missiles that home in on the target) Hopefully, one it has been implemented into the game, it will not end up like the grind wall that is Rathuum currently, with players needing to farm Judgement Points to fight Kela De Thaym.

4. What is your first impression of Ash's Blade Storm targeting change?

The overall concept of Ash needing to target enemies is overall a nice change. However, I feel that it is somewhat poorly implemented, as it promotes no synergy with Ash's other abilities and it seems pretty cumbersome to execute as a whole, even more so if you are using a controller due to the hold key mechanics. I feel that Ash's Blade Storm changes should revolve around interactive play in decimating targets as well as promote the usage of skill, and other abilities thrown into the mix to further enhance the potential of Ash to be the best ninja warframe there is.

5. Will you use the mission creator with your clan?

Yes, definitely. Customizable missions seem like a dream come true to me. Of course, the balancing of rewards will need to be looked at, but this is overall a very nice change that sets my mind thinking. It would be a blast to fiddle around with the tileset, levels and enemies and try all sorts of combinations to give ourself a challenge outside of Sorties and Raids.

6. Do you plan to run a dedicated PC server?

Nope, I don't think so.

7. Would you spend 100 Argon to craft an Argon Decoration?

I feel that 100 Argon as a crafting cost will be a bit too much. However, if the crafting cost is toned down to a reasonable amount, I will certainly grind in order to get that sweet decoration for my orbiter. We need more interior decoration that can actually be farmed in-game, as it also gives us a sense of accomplishment as we fill out our ships with bling and decorations.

Voted other for question 4: The mechanic worries me from a "will this still be a powerful nuke" perspective, but it looks cool, and the concept would totally be fine as a non-ult power. (eg: A reworked Teleport)

I am also worried that enemies will still have invulnerability during the finisher animations. That is the complaint about Blade Storm for many people right now, myself included.

Edited by DeltaPhantom