Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus ice barrels - what's the point?

DoomFruit

Corpus levels, all of them, seem to have acquired a very large number of ice barrels over the past few months. Previously this was only a problem with the Europa tileset, but the infection seems to have spread to all the other Corpus areas. They're indistinguishable from static indestructible terrain objects. So much as clip them with your melee or a stray bullet and they'll slow you to a crawl for several seconds (a very long time in this game) with an effect sporting an unusually large blast radius and which seems to ignore cover half the time.

Why? What could this possibly add to the gameplay other than massive annoyance? Can we please get them removed, or failing that, retextured/modelled so that you can at least tell them apart from static decorations?

i agree that those barrels are annoying and i want to add that they are also very boring, the status effect is just applied at once, making the barrel a trigger instead of an actual coolant leak were one could have an interesting interaction, pretty much how every aoe hazard works in this game, you move a milimeter into it and you get the full effect

DE is just bent on making the Corpus as annoying to fight as possible aparently. That or those ice barrels are forshadowing to a special alert or quest or something involving Corpus, like that they are planning to deploy Ice Hyennas en masse or whatever.

Huh... I enjoy using them on enemies more then myself. Each to their own I guess.

Jokes aside, I don't mind them, but I haven't had many issues with accidentally setting them off and freezing myself. The only times I really do is when I'm in a dead end locker room and breaking open crates with melee. Occasionally then I'll clip one, but I've never really had an issue outside of that.

3 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

Huh... I enjoy using them on enemies more then myself. Each to their own I guess.

Jokes aside, I don't mind them, but I haven't had many issues with accidentally setting them off and freezing myself. The only times I really do is when I'm in a dead end locker room and breaking open crates with melee. Occasionally then I'll clip one, but I've never really had an issue outside of that.

Same here. I pretty much only encounter them in loot rooms.

On 10/18/2016 at 8:33 AM, DoomFruit said:

Corpus levels, all of them, seem to have acquired a very large number of ice barrels over the past few months. Previously this was only a problem with the Europa tileset, but the infection seems to have spread to all the other Corpus areas. They're indistinguishable from static indestructible terrain objects. So much as clip them with your melee or a stray bullet and they'll slow you to a crawl for several seconds (a very long time in this game) with an effect sporting an unusually large blast radius and which seems to ignore cover half the time.

Why? What could this possibly add to the gameplay other than massive annoyance? Can we please get them removed, or failing that, retextured/modelled so that you can at least tell them apart from static decorations?

Thanks for posting this. Corpus missions are already incredibly tedious. But these barrels, in close proximity to containers we HAVE to melee to open... honestly, it felt like being intentionally trolled by the devs. Like a purposely annoying mechanical addition designed to deliberately detract from fun.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:08 AM, spyros78 said:

Same purpose as screenshake - screenflash.... to "play" with your nerves while the dev team considers this another... innovation ! Constantly proven that anythin annoys 9/10 players, stays ingame as punishment like.

Which is a big part of the reason, that one of the things that has all but left this game is me, and most others I know who played it. It's like they TRY to make their game less enjoyable.

1 hour ago, _Vortus_ said:

I like them and think they should stay.   I think of them as containers of coolant for the assorted bots they use so they even fit the game. 

B-but, coolant doesn't violently explode or does it? Do I have to afraid of every coolant-containing device now? Just kidding. 

On topic: Yeah I agree that they are getting annoying and while I guess that they do serve the purpose of keeping you aware of your surroundings it's just so dang easy to set them off by bulletjumping... Just like the cracked security-glass on corpus ships. Which reminds me, does even ANYBODY use bullet-jumpin as ways of damaging enemies, or can we just get rid of that function - the AOE-damage of the Bullet Jump, not the Bullet Jump itself, I mean.

I think it'd be best to lower the time you spend slowed, or take away the slowing completely and just have it half your shields (in addition to the base damage) for however long the effect it. I'd also like to see them brightened up or a symbol or something put on it so it's easier to distinguish from the other static objects. Just running for syndicate medallions or ayatan hunting has become tedious on corpus tilesets because of the barrels. 

5 minutes ago, Kiyomaru-EN- said:

B-but, coolant doesn't violently explode or does it? Do I have to afraid of every coolant-containing device now? Just kidding. 

On topic: Yeah I agree that they are getting annoying and while I guess that they do serve the purpose of keeping you aware of your surroundings it's just so dang easy to set them off by bulletjumping... Just like the cracked security-glass on corpus ships. Which reminds me, does even ANYBODY use bullet-jumpin as ways of damaging enemies, or can we just get rid of that function - the AOE-damage of the Bullet Jump, not the Bullet Jump itself, I mean.

Likely pressurized containers.    In addition to the obvious cold, some coolants are flammable, some are highly toxic.   Would be interesting if in higher level missions, not only did they freeze you, but gave a toxic proc or instead of freezing, burned you and gave you a toxic proc.   Maybe a chain reaction where after the freeze it ignites, burns you then gives a toxic proc.  Industrial coolants are nasty chemicals to deal with.

They could stand being marked a little better.   In some way that assists color blind players see them.   Though, the only reason I can see someone getting upset about freeze barrels is speed runners.    In which case they should have been more careful.

I like them, gives a little bit of variety.

But I do agree with the addition of Alloy barrels, that they could stand out better so they can be better avoided and used against death squads.

Maybe give it a blinking blue light on top, or a white spherical Corpus emblem with "Caution: Industrial Coolant" written in their language.