The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] mechanic introduced as nothing more than a dispel?

chainchompguy3

After I had completed the War Within, I've been trying to figure out why the operator mechanic was even introduced.

It's not like we needed to turn ourselves into vulnerable children on the battlefield, nor did we need a fairly weak laser beam as an innate power on every frame.

It just seems arbitrary and pointless. Especially seeing as how activating it dispels any active powers.....

....that's it, isn't it.

The whole point of adding this new ability was to add a grineer equivalent to nullifiers.

But DE, having learned that people really don't like having their powers turned off against their will, decided to make an entire resource, enemy type, and player ability so as to encourage players to dispel themselves from time to time.

And it's fairly well done, too.

Because it rewards you for dispelling yourself, with the kuva resource (Which is often needed, seeing as how Riven Mods are absurdly RNG, and almost always need re-rolling)....

But it also adds an incentive to use it even if you don't need kuva: Kuva Guardians deal moderately high damage, and a fair amount of knockdowns. Taking them out is usually in the player's best interest; Which can only be done via the Operator mechanic.

Thus, the new operator mechanic acts as a nullification of warframe powers, but is far more well thought out, as now the player is entirely responsible for their own nullification, and thus the player feels far less rage at the enemy that "Causes" it.

Then again, I haven't exactly been the Operator-aficionado, so maybe this has some really good use I haven't picked up on.

And hey, a much simpler explanation is that this was done in the name of the end-game: Fashion-Frame. Maybe this was just a silly way to make Fashion-Operator a thing able to be shown off, and increase sales on related cosmetics.

Until then, this is just a theory. A tin-foil-hat theory.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by chainchompguy3

Considering using focus disables our warframe powers as well...it seems appropriate, it matches. I just wish the operator wasn't so SQUISHY! We need to be able to mod or level our operator(Let's put MR to use and have it give us points to spend to buff our operator).

And please...DE...please...give us more hud, I hate with a fiery passion that the cursor is my ONLY MEANS TO KNOW HOW MUCH ENERGY THE OPERATOR HAS. I am COLORBLIND and having difficulty seeing the thing...let alone knowing how much each operator power drains...give us the ability to mod our operator like our warframe, or tie focus into it, something.

1 minute ago, Hixlysss said:

Considering using focus disables our warframe powers as well...it seems appropriate, it matches. I just wish the operator wasn't so SQUISHY! We need to be able to mod or level our operator(Let's put MR to use and have it give us points to spend to buff our operator).

And please...DE...please...give us more hud, I hate with a fiery passion that the cursor is my ONLY MEANS TO KNOW HOW MUCH ENERGY THE OPERATOR HAS. I am COLORBLIND and having difficulty seeing the thing...let alone knowing how much each operator power drains...give us the ability to mod our operator like our warframe, or tie focus into it, something.

WAIT ! there is an indicator ???

1 minute ago, Hixlysss said:

actually, focus doesn't dispel all WF powers 

Spoiler

if this is a bug then f*** me. sorry guys : / 

Just now, trunks013 said:

WAIT ! there is an indicator ???

Yes. Your cursor, apparently it's...gold/yellow? And it like...decreases from top to bottom as you use your powers. I'm red/green colorblind so I don't see gold or yellow that well over other colors, such as white, red, ect. Basically so much is going on in the back ground where I'm aiming, I can't make out the cursor's whole...energy drain thing.

8 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

I still have to try teh operator on stealth mission ^.^ 

Sadly i noticed that we can't just stun enemy and take control of them like we did in the quest :( 

Grineer minds and the minds of enemies in general are probably too weak to sustain the Operators, you'd TP into them and implode them most likely.'

A note to the OP:

This new system just got introduced and there is much they need to work on. And you only lose all of your energy if your Operator loses all 100 health and has to transfer back to your Warframe. I've noticed that if you transfer manually before this happens, you don't lose energy. Another thing, I personally love the way DE has gone with this, and while it needs quite a bit of work to become a useful and perhaps "end-game" system, it is well on its way.

Also, it's a fun break from only running around in a Warframe. At the end of one Sortie Rescue mission, myself and the entire squad activated their Operators and we all started dancing and running around and shooting lasers at the Rescue target. She was all like: "WTF? Stop shooting at me you darn kids!"  Good times. :laugh:

The Focus system may also indeed receive a revamp, and we may be able to upgrade our Operator's energy, health or movement speed, range or a slew of other upgrades. Focus has been basically forgotten and this is a grand opportunity for it now. I just hope DE doesn't bork it, or take away from it too much. I love my Zenurik passive bro, I need it to be a ProLoki.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

8 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Grineer minds and the minds of enemies in general are probably too weak to sustain the Operators, you'd TP into them and implode them most likely.'

A note to the OP:

This new system just got introduced and there is much they need to work on. And you only lose all of your energy if your Operator loses all 100 health and has to transfer back to your Warframe. I've noticed that if you transfer manually before this happens, you don't lose energy. Another thing, I personally love the way DE has gone with this, and while it needs quite a bit of work to become a useful and perhaps "end-game" system, it is well on its way.

Also, it's a fun break from only running around in a Warframe. At the end of one Sortie Rescue mission, myself and the entire squad activated their Operators and we all started dancing and running around and shooting lasers at the Rescue target. She was all like: "WTF? Stop shooting at me you darn kids!"  Good times. :laugh:

The Focus system may also indeed receive a revamp, and we may be able to upgrade our Operator's energy, health or movement speed, range or a slew of other upgrades. Focus has been basically forgotten and this is a grand opportunity for it now. I just hope DE doesn't bork it, or take away from it too much. I love my Zenurik passive bro, I need it to be a ProLoki.

That would be cool to kill them that way.

I heard an oposite theory about weak mind. You actualy dont want to go there you might actualy get killed super easy. If you transfert your mind into the emptyness of someone too stupid you might actualy get lost. There was a tv show here in canada showing a joke about that. A Sith lord trying a mind fight against a super stupid guy. Failing to find anything he finaly lose getting lost in the emptyness of the stupidity of is oponent.

Edited by trunks013

13 minutes ago, Hixlysss said:

I think we'll be able to level it one day. I noticed during the underground quest that we are noted as lvl 0.

+1 for the colorblindness, I farmed Kuva on Phorid's tileset, and with Infested all around, that was horrible to see anything as a strong deutan. I had to Bastille everything while everyone tried to stop the clouds, very interesting.

9 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

This new system just got introduced and there is much they need to work on. And you only lose all of your energy if your Operator loses all 100 health and has to transfer back to your Warframe. I've noticed that if you transfer manually before this happens, you don't lose energy. 

Well, when there are 2 Kuva Guardians all around, as soon as you get out as an Operator, you can be sure one of them will jump or swipe 2 milliseconds away without any possibility to escape.

We need atleast an invulnerability for 2 seconds or something like that.

Edited by Chewarette

1 minute ago, Chewarette said:

Well, when there are 2 Kuva Guardians all around, as soon as you get out as an Operator, you can be sure one of them will jump or swipe 2 milliseconds away without any possibility to escape.

We need atleast an invulnerability for 2 seconds or something like that.

You have a Void dash for a reason, mate. : P

But I do agree, there should be a buffer of some kind between switching. (To the Operator, or back to the Warframe) Can't tell you how many times I've KYS'd because I pressed 5 too quick in a group of enemies. (They drain all the Operator's health, and they inhumanly turn their weapons back to me and drill me quick... xD)

17 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

actually, focus doesn't dispel all WF powers 

Reveal hidden contents

if this is a bug then f*** me. sorry guys : / 

Not too sure myself if it's all of them or not, but I do know that the some of the more cheesy powers, like Wukong's Defy, and Chroma's Vex Armor, are dispelled this way.

19 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

A note to the OP:

I agree, it could be made into something cool. Would especially love some focus/Operator synergy, like having my Operator's laser beam heal allies because of my Vazarin focus (Or even better, heal my warframe, since It remains on the battlefield after I get out of it).

I guess that could be a sort of a 3rd theory: This is just the framework for something much more worthwhile, and they simply had to rush-out what they had.

Still though, I want to keep hope that this isn't just an arbitrary, albeit cool, new system; but instead an intelligent and intentional attempt at balancing the game.

Operator mode does solve 1 issue.  When you are locked down during a magnetic hazard on a tile where the panel is too close to a bubble.  Normally if you don't have an electric or magnetic weapon equipped you're SOL.  Well now we have an always available source of magnetic damage.

Sentients and the Shadow Stalker can't adapt to Operator damage.

The complete downside being whenever they spawn it's at levels where Operator damage is like rubbing a feather against a battleship and saying you did critical damage.