Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My personal Apology to the Fans

IgnusDei

29 minutes ago, (Xbox One)DeluxeKnight831 said:

if i didnt know anything about this game and someone told me oh man this skin sucks and showed it to me i would immediately know what was wrong. its just plain ugly and doesnt even look like it would remotely fit into the games universe

I actually like that skin a lot. Admittedly the default colors are ugly a sin but the skin itself looks quite nice with some customizing in game.

1 minute ago, xRufus7x said:

I actually like that skin a lot. Admittedly the default colors are ugly a sin but the skin itself looks quite nice with some customizing in game.

I can concur.  I don't own it, but the original looked to me quite a bit like a box of crayons vomited in a fly and then covered all of Nova's feminine features with a 1950's sci-fi space suit.

Then I saw someone marry the Nova Prime Helm and colors to it (deep blues and purples) and it looked quite stunning.

5 minutes ago, Spot. said:

That's to assume these existed in Orokin time and that's not the point I'm trying to make.

The deluxe skins are intentionally meant to be outside the box designs of what a normal frame should look like. Ugly or not, Asuri accomplishes that, along with the other skins.

you forgot to add they are supposed to be pleasing to the eye as well . an ugly skin is not a good skin no matter how you try to twist and turn it 

4 hours ago, Xeotroid said:

On the left you can see the original, on the right you can see the edited version by DE.

SnLw4lD.jpg

I like the helmet on the right more than the left, and i like the elbow on the left more than the right. The crotch area on the left looks very weird. Overall, the difference isn't big enough for me to whine over it. I can live with either.

3 hours ago, SunsetChaos said:

To DE:

Remove that side mohawk thing. She's not Nyx....

Did you forget that Nyx isn't the only Warframe with a mohawk-like headpiece?

tSsFoG6.jpg

Also, i don't know what went down exactly, but maybe OP should apologize to DE's art team as well? I only say that because it sounds like he may have said some unnecessary things that caused them to drop him. I do understand his passion for a certain look with some designs, but getting angry over the input and direction DE wants for certain things wasn't ideal.

1 hour ago, Excalibur said:

This thread shouldn't have been made in the first place. 

I disagree. While it may have started a bit of a fire, the truth is that Ignus Dei himself did not say anything inappropriate. His post was well thought out and took responsibility. The fact that "a fire" started, shows that there are a LOT of people who have felt for some time that DE has been overly-modifying the skins designed by Ignus Dei. 

In fact, I haven't really seen much real vitriol or anger toward DE, just honest, passionate feedback about their decisions -- something the game's health relies on. If people feel that the deluxe skins are not going the direction they want, then DE should know about that. They will be able to better shape future skins if they understand what people do and don't like. 

I don't think this thread is really out of control or anything. In fact most people in the thread seem to be in agreement, and while comments toward DE have been negative about this situation, they don't seem to have been bashing as far as I can see. Just a lot of support for Ignus Dei's original designs. 

There is such a fire in this thread because Ignus Dei clearly butted heads with the art team over the same thing the community has been yelling for months and months. They didn't listen to him, they won't listen to us. Maybe they will listen with our wallets if enough of us are dissatisfied with the direction of the deluxe skins and just stop buying them. I know I haven't bought any in a little while (since the Banshee debacle) and I don't intend to until DE actually shows some indication that they will actually LISTEN to their fans when we tell them we don't like how they changed a skin design. We are the ones paying for them... not DE's art team. I don't care what their art team personally thinks is best. 

If their art team's pride is so important to them, and DE allows them to make such pride based decisions, even though most of the community feels that the art teams decisions with the deluxe skins are usually wrong, then DE is going to start losing a big source of revenue with these deluxe skins and no one is going to want to buy them anymore. DE needs to start listening to players -- that is why this thread blew up in size so fast. It is clear Ignus Dei's fight is many of our fight and clearly struck a nerve with the community. 

It may be too late to unburn his bridge, but for the future, DE's art team needs some serious humbling in my opinion. They have become too prideful, and don't seem to give a damn about changing anything even if the majority of the community is against them. If Sheldon or whoever is ultimately in charge allows this continue and doesn't bring them down to earth, then deluxe skin buys will go way down and DE is going to lose a lot of money. 

DE's art team needs to get over themselves, full stop. It is clear that even when the community is majorly against something they did, the art team still stubbornly refuses to budge at all. This is really bad if they want people to keep spending money on anything art based in the game, something that is a big part of their revenue with fashionframe basically being endgame. If you are doing a job and selling a product your job is to produce artwork that satisfies what the fans, who are spending money, want. Your job is not to satisfy your own ego and tell incredibly popular community designers to change their work because you just HAVE to put YOUR mark on it. DE's Art Team has been angering people for months and it is starting to boil over. They need to start caring about what we think... we are the customers. We are ultimately their bosses with our wallets. If they want Warframe to continue to exist and them to continue to have a job, they need to remember that. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

I think "firing" him was sort of jumping the gun. Working with each other instead of butting heads about which design is better would've been a better decision I believe. That's how art studios work after all. I hope DE and Ignus can resolve this quarrel peacefully, maybe even bring him back on-board.

why'd this have to happen on ember...

either way I hope you move on to bigger and better things

and thanks for the skins, I've bought most of them, each added tons to my personal enjoyment with warframe which overall kept me playing much longer than I should have, even the banshee skin that got destroyed

From what I see, it looks like some of the direction DE's Art Department wants to go with these deluxe skins is...not as good as the original proposed material.

It's kind of tragic that because of this clash in vision, a very VERY good artist is going away...but that's Humanity for you.

If it were up to a Straw Poll, I think the DE Art Staff members would be told to revert their proposed changes by the fans directly (since it seems like being confronted by the original artist didn't end well).

Hope you see success in your next venture(s), ID.

4 minutes ago, zzuit said:

Kinda wish DE would throw us a bone here...

Me too. Some clarification from them, as well as confirmation that the unfinished skins are still going to arrive would be nice.

But I doubt they'll bother.

Also, I just realized they changed the proportions of Ember's skin. Jesus Christ, it's maybe the worst part of the whole thing. Why do we need our frames to be all leg and nothing else.

Edited by Gran_Maw_Sigmus

Why?

WHY?

WHY?!

you are literally THE reason all of the deluxe skins are WORTH the revenue! the amount of love and detail you put into each concept is AMAZING!

and now you're saying I'll never get to see your take of Nehza? Atlas? Hydroid? Zephyr? Mesa? literally ANYTHING else?

Without you we'll just get shoddy skins like Nova's 

6 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

tSsFoG6.jpg

Also, i don't know what went down exactly, but maybe OP should apologize to DE's art team as well? I only say that because it sounds like he may have said some unnecessary things that caused them to drop him. I do understand his passion for a certain look with some designs, but getting angry over the input and direction DE wants for certain things wasn't ideal.

Yeah, everybody is forgetting that Ember is "punk" themed. When you get picked up by a company you usually accept two things, dead lines and the changes they'll make to your art to fit what they want. It dosn't matter if it looks better or not with or without the mohawk, thats ember thing. It's a little annoying admittedly that non-ember users don't even know what she looks like claiming they wont "buy" the skin.  

As for rekindling the bond. That solely depends on his relationship and interactions with the art team. The fact he got to be the single artist who pretty much designed 80-90% of the base appearance for a majority of deluxe skins does seem to imply he was well liked or had close ties. However if he himself seems to believe it's burned down then the only thing that would bring it back is if De is willing to let him back if they like him enough and if he's willing to learn from his mistakes.
 He messed up bring time and any other artist or person can see that. All this "Pitty" is kind of silly, it sucks but this is why you try not to get too attached to works you do for someone else, especially a company.

If DE is really going to let their pride and hubris make their decision's instead of working with the ORIGINAL ARTIST'S WHOSE DESIGN YOU'RE USING decision, then they don't deserve your passion, your work, or even the time of day. It sucks to see this, as a fellow artist. But I will say, go and move on to bigger things, they clearly don't deserve any of the tiem and effort you put into these, nor the money it has brung them. Let DE suffer from this, and learn. 

They don't deserve a damn thing from any of your skin designs for this. At all. 

Edited by DeadPanSnarker

4 minutes ago, xFrostKnightx said:

Yeah, everybody is forgetting that Ember is "punk" themed. When you get picked up by a company you usually accept two things, dead lines and the changes they'll make to your art to fit what they want. It dosn't matter if it looks better or not with or without the mohawk, thats ember thing. It's a little annoying admittedly that non-ember users don't even know what she looks like claiming they wont "buy" the skin.  

Actually the deluxe skins do not have a history of always following such parts of a frames "theme". 

For example, the Frost Deluxe that DE showed off in devstream recently has horns... Frost does not have horns. Deluxe skins are not limited to the exact skin design of the original frame... as they are alternate skin designs. 

Also, as long as someone was considering spending money on the skin if they liked it, it is completely and utterly irrelevant whether they "main" Ember or not. They are still a disappointed consumer, who may now not make a purchase, and their money is worth just as much as yours. 

You also have the right to like the design of course, and buy it if you wish. That's the free market. 

44 minutes ago, Spot. said:

That's to assume these existed in Orokin time and that's not the point I'm trying to make.

The deluxe skins are intentionally meant to be outside the box designs of what a normal frame should look like. Ugly or not, Asuri accomplishes that, along with the other skins.

That claim does not completely fly when you give backstories to certain descriptions and Incorporate some of these alternate deluxe renditions into lore quests, Silver Grove for instance.

Its more like you just made up in your head this idea that deluxe skins should not even look like a Warframe, regardless of how ugly they may end up looking. DE even expressed disdain with the very un-Tenno buckles on one of the Nova skins in Tennogen yet they let those arms, cloth and head on the Asuri fly? Does not compute.

Either way, few appreciated this Nova deluxe skin, regardless of whatever idea you made up for deluxe skins.

Edited by UrielColtan

22 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

I like the helmet on the right more than the left, and i like the elbow on the left more than the right. The crotch area on the left looks very weird. Overall, the difference isn't big enough for me to whine over it. I can live with either.

tSsFoG6.jpg

They modified his work without his permission,that was his submission for their commission ( sick rhymes). If you look a little closer, you can tell they just erased some parts, and look at the proportions. Had they said that they wanted the mohawk it would have been fine. But they instead put things in there and edited it. That's like making a painting for someone and then when they take it they change all of the colors instead of asking you to do it instead. Technically it was concept art but it was not THEIRS to modify themselves. In the devstreams they even SAID Mynki was to have little interaction with Ignus's work no matter what.

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Actually the deluxe skins do not have a history of always following such parts of a frames "theme". 

For example, the Frost Deluxe that DE showed off in devstream recently has horns... Frost does not have horns. Deluxe skins are not limited to the exact skin design of the original frame... as they are alternate skin designs. 

Also, as long as someone was considering spending money on the skin if they liked it, it is completely and utterly irrelevant whether they "main" Ember or not. They are still a disappointed consumer, who may now not make a purchase, and their money is worth just as much as yours. 

You also have the right to like the design of course, and buy it if you wish. That's the free market. 

I'm more so referring to the comments who claim in this thread that ember has nothing to do with hohawks, especially considering one of her helmets have a "lip piercing". As for the frost skin and his base design, I don't see any theme to it or reference that perhaps i'm simply missing it. It just looks like a cloak not even based off ones you see used in colder climates or by tribes. Imo frost was a clean slate to work on.  Compared to ember where even other artists drew their dream deluxe with a punk theme.

Anyways I'm simply saying, just because an artist someone likes messed up isn't really a reason for someone who loved the skin to suddenly say  "I hate it now". and bash and trash talk the skin they liked only just 5 seconds ago.

Just now, xFrostKnightx said:

I'm more so referring to the comments who claim in this thread that ember has nothing to do with hohawks, especially considering one of her helmets have a "lip piercing". As for the frost skin and his base design, I don't see any theme to it or reference that perhaps i'm simply missing it. It just looks like a cloak not even based off ones you see used in colder climates or by tribes. Imo frost was a clean slate to work on.  Compared to ember where even other artists drew their dream deluxe with a punk theme.

Anyways I'm simply saying, just because an artist someone likes messed up isn't really a reason for someone who loved the skin to suddenly say  "I hate it now". and bash and trash talk the skin they liked only just 5 seconds ago.

There may be some bandwagon jumpers (seeing a chance to be part of a mob) that just jump in and don't even actually care about the issue. 

But I think just like with Banshee, and Loki, there are a lot of people who really liked the design concepts they originally saw, and we were also told originally that Ignus Dei's work would hardly be touched by Mynki. Now it seems like the designs seem to get further from the concept a lot of people liked each time. 

Again, yes I agree there are some bandwagon jumpers looking to be part of a mob like anywhere on the internet. But there also is a lot of passion as well about how people want things to look. Fashionframe is huge in Warframe. 

7 minutes ago, Altairbex said:

They modified his work without his permission,that was his submission for their commission ( sick rhymes). If you look a little closer, you can tell they just erased some parts, and look at the proportions. Had they said that they wanted the mohawk it would have been fine. But they instead put things in there and edited it. That's like making a painting for someone and then when they take it they change all of the colors instead of asking you to do it instead. Technically it was concept art but it was not THEIRS to modify themselves. In the devstreams they even SAID Mynki was to have little interaction with Ignus's work no matter what.

I dont think you understand what commissioning art means. When you commission art, that art becomes yours, and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. 

Having said that, yes it is really impolite to just change it without even asking the original artist to change it for you beforehand, if that even is what happened.