The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About More Aliens? :D

Sirfol

Ciao human-like creatures

I want to start a discussion today dear to me. The alien concept is becoming too human.

With the implementation of our space-murdering kids in human form and the advent of nidus something striked me. We need more aliens. I mean setients are alien-like even infested are aliens. but what about a six arm dude standing on 2 legs? or something that is not carbon-origin molecular based?

Think about it, how much aliens (in the sense a different biological creatures) aliens in warframe are? This game break the concept human-world and human-fantasy in many instances, be ethics, be actions.

But it lacks in form. Bard frame have those legs, i like those legs because they break the monotony of human-form-concept but our universe need something else.

How about you, how will u imagine a alien-alien-alien in warframe? eight arms? nine heads? no heads at all and the brain is distribuited in the nervous system instead of a organ?

Let's our imagination run rampant. i want you to let me see something i cound't imagine.

Edited by Sirfol
dem plurals

Just now, Sirfol said:

I want to start a discussion today dear to me. The alien concept is becoming too human.

With the implementation of our space-murdering kids in human form and the advent of nidus something striked me. We need more aliens. I mean setients are alien-like even infested are aliens. but what about a six arm dude standing on 2 legs? or something that is not carbon-origin molecular based?

Think about it, how much aliens (in the sense a different biological creatures) aliens in warframe are? This game break the concept human-world and human-fantasy in many concept, be ethics, be action.

But it lacks in form. Bard frame have those legs, i like those legs because they break the monotony of human-form-concept but oure universe need something else.

How about you, how will u imagine a alien-alien-alien in warframe? eight arms? nine heads? no heads at all and the brain is distribuited in the nervous system instead in a organ called brain?

Let's our imagination run rampant. i want you to let me see something i cound't imagine.

Are you italian, by chance?

I actually really, really like that everything in Warframe can be traced back to humanity doing something it shouldn't have. 

Humanity --> conquered by Post-Human Orokin Sciencelords

----> Orokin Sciencelords make Grineer, make Sentients, make Solar Rails, unleash Infestation, make Tenno.

----------> Whoops.

The universe is not fundamentally hostile and terrible. Humanity is. Stop hitting yourself, Humanity. Stop hitting yourself.

7 minutes ago, Sirfol said:

Think about it, how much aliens (in the sense a different biological creatures) aliens in warframe are? This game break the concept human-world and human-fantasy in many concept, be ethics, be action.

But it lacks in form. Bard frame have those legs, i like those legs because they break the monotony of human-form-concept but oure universe need something else.

How about you, how will u imagine a alien-alien-alien in warframe? eight arms? nine heads? no heads at all and the brain is distribuited in the nervous system instead in a organ called brain?

Nothing in warframe is alien in origin. Everything is made by humans. Orokin, Corpus, Grineer, Tenno. All humans, infestation virus - invented by Orokin and Infested are humans afffected by it. Sentients - created by protoCorpus and sent to Tau. By inventing aliens into warframe you would have to introduce their whole lore and what they have done to get to Origin System. I would say that there is no more space for something like that.

4 minutes ago, Xardis said:

Nothing in warframe is alien in origin. Everything is made by humans. Orokin, Corpus, Grineer, Tenno. All humans, infestation virus - invented by Orokin and Infested are humans afffected by it. Sentients - created by protoCorpus and sent to Tau. By inventing aliens into warframe you would have to introduce their whole lore and what they have done to get to Origin System. I would say that there is no more space for something like that.

in space there is always more space :D, maybe not now but one day maybe i will see a new oring system not isolated from the rest of the galaxy and universe. Come on guys it's sci-fi with void magic are you telling me crating a new role for a race not bound but human standards is harder then making space-cryogenic-ninja-samurai-kids ?

Edited by Sirfol

9 minutes ago, Sirfol said:

in space there is always more space :D, maybe not now but one day maybe i will see a new oring system not isolated from the rest of the galaxy and universe. Come on guys it's sci-fi with void magic are you telling me crating a new role for a race not bound but human standards is harder then making space-cryogenic-ninja-samurai-kids ?

that "one day" will have to be a long ways off, since its going to take a while to actually flesh out the factions we already have. the one way i can see an actual alien species being introduced is if they somehow had a hand in making sentients turn out how they did

3 minutes ago, NightBlitz said:

that "one day" will have to be a long ways off, since its going to take a while to actually flesh out the factions we already have. the one way i can see an actual alien species being introduced is if they somehow had a hand in making sentients turn out how they did

intersting, a outsider of the origin system that helps one of our most dangerous enemies with a technology unknow even for orokins. How do you imagine them ?

Edited by Sirfol

Funny but there is no aliens in the warframe universe.

Grineer - cloned idiots whom degenerate by the time and they needs fresh genes to keep themself alive.

Corpus - greedy space capitalist jaews".

Infested - T-virus infested persons whom mutating by the time and evolveing into something different

Sentient - Orokin creations these supposed to be similar like the borg in star trek series whom evolved from the voyager satellite into a multi cultural and ethical nation(s)

Orokin - Oro (gold) kin (relative) those peoples whom reached a high tech level and likes the gold and everything shiny things. They are also religious peoples whom was fanatics aswell.

Tenno - human beign combined with the void energy they were the servants of the Orokin in peace and they were their mercenaries in war.

The only real alien race could be the Tau but I suppose the DE won't give us real non solar system races into the game. This game supposed to shown the current state Earth evolved separated ways in the future.

Currently we research biotech, electronic, robotic, there are many religions and the current accepted civilization form the capitalism and there are in traces others like communism or post communism monarchies etc. Or we can use for another example the EVE online where the major factions in Earth was represented and they evolved into these ways but in different. In warframe there is no real alien races just traces of humanity.

Well, funnily enough, Sentinels, the things hovering over our shoulder are... alien in a way. The first ones were found by Tenno explorers. 

On the border of chartered space, an enclave of small, strange, seemingly intelligent creatures was discovered by Tenno explorers. They are mechanical entities, almost organic in appearance, with a precarious resemblance to the fearsome Sentients that had decimated human civilization. However, these creatures showed no signs of aggression, and they immediately began carrying out helpful tasks in peculiar alliance with the Tenno.

-Sentinels Mars Fragment

Basically it's hinted that they are Sentient in origin. Some sort of offshoot fragment. Or possibly even the original "strain" if you will. Since Sentinels are helpful and loyal, they could be what the Sentients were meant to be. It's just something went wrong. In any case. Sentinels are technically alien. 

As for things to look less earthly, problem with that is that there are only so many configurations in form that are efficient in operation and effective at what they do in a given environment. From an evolutionary view, that is. And of course we need to acknowledge that this is a game and things also need to look cool. Anyone can come up with a weird idea but then they need to start asking questions like how does it move and how does it handle or use thing. All these basic questions are important and when you start to modify your idea to answer these questions, you start to see familiar shapes. There's a term for it: Convergent evolution. 

Sure, you can do things like change leg forms from a human biped plantigrade to a digitigrade. Change number and position of fingers, but the overall form stays the same. 

9 minutes ago, Lakais said:

Well, funnily enough, Sentinels, the things hovering over our shoulder are... alien in a way. The first ones were found by Tenno explorers. 

-Sentinels Mars Fragment

Basically it's hinted that they are Sentient in origin. Some sort of offshoot fragment. Or possibly even the original "strain" if you will. Since Sentinels are helpful and loyal, they could be what the Sentients were meant to be. It's just something went wrong. In any case. Sentinels are technically alien. 

As for things to look less earthly, problem with that is that there are only so many configurations in form that are efficient in operation and effective at what they do in a given environment. From an evolutionary view, that is. And of course we need to acknowledge that this is a game and things also need to look cool. Anyone can come up with a weird idea but then they need to start asking questions like how does it move and how does it handle or use thing. All these basic questions are important and when you start to modify your idea to answer these questions, you start to see familiar shapes. There's a term for it: Convergent evolution. 

Sure, you can do things like change leg forms from a human biped plantigrade to a digitigrade. Change number and position of fingers, but the overall form stays the same. 

really intersting comment, so if we want to break the human-bound imagination we need to think in term stranger of our evolution. MMh maybe something in a Semi-solid-liquid form that can move by changing his gravitation polarization molecules. like a starfish that can move "pulled" by walls and enemies alike.

Edited by Sirfol

7 minutes ago, Sirfol said:

crating a new role for a race not bound but human standards is harder then making space-cryogenic-ninja-samurai-kids ?

On a fundamental level, yes.

As others have noted, everything in setting revolves around our little star's problems with only the vague whispers of Tau as a distant memory of an ultimately failed shot at inter-stellar travel. All the folly and foolishness of the setting comes back to humanity playing god with great mastery of genetics and technology, all for it to backfire incredibly due to its hubris. Bear in mind Origin is a dingy little system with nothing especially notable about it. It's incredibly anthropocentric to think a sapient race would give a flying jot about things as they stand, and that's supposing that Origin even ranks as notable.

Yet introducing a new race begs several important questions:

Why are they involved?

What they are after; resources, conquering, habitat etc

Where they came from

How did they get here; what is their technology base, what is their agenda?

What is their culture, history, physiology and language?

Adding a new race requires them to have some role in the narrative, else they'll just 'be there' and not actually do anything (Eclipse Phase's Factors say hi). The Narrative would also logically heavily shift to concern this new development of non-human derived sapient life wandering in out of functional nowhere. Because on a practical level, that is a substantial event that doesn't get resolved with a thirty minute quest that may not even make any cohesive sense.

There are many good Sci-fi settings that didn't require aliens to affect or influence the plot. Whilst it's fine to find interest in the idea of the 'populated universe', there's just as much for the notion that the vastness of the universe leaves humanity alone to its capabilities and failings, and whether it can survive. Warframe's setting is one that strictly exists in the latter.

6 minutes ago, Lakais said:

Sure, you can do things like change leg forms from a human biped plantigrade to a digitigrade. Change number and position of fingers, but the overall form stays the same

Well put. It's one thing to create a creature...another all together to explain why it has its form. A fun thought experiment, sure, but nevertheless not a simple affair...though I speak personally from my own efforts to creating creatures for my own original writing. I imagine other people likely have an easier time with it than I do.

52 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

On a fundamental level, yes.

As others have noted, everything in setting revolves around our little star's problems with only the vague whispers of Tau as a distant memory of an ultimately failed shot at inter-stellar travel. All the folly and foolishness of the setting comes back to humanity playing god with great mastery of genetics and technology, all for it to backfire incredibly due to its hubris. Bear in mind Origin is a dingy little system with nothing especially notable about it. It's incredibly anthropocentric to think a sapient race would give a flying jot about things as they stand, and that's supposing that Origin even ranks as notable.

Yet introducing a new race begs several important questions:

Why are they involved?

What they are after; resources, conquering, habitat etc

Where they came from

How did they get here; what is their technology base, what is their agenda?

What is their culture, history, physiology and language?

Adding a new race requires them to have some role in the narrative, else they'll just 'be there' and not actually do anything (Eclipse Phase's Factors say hi). The Narrative would also logically heavily shift to concern this new development of non-human derived sapient life wandering in out of functional nowhere. Because on a practical level, that is a substantial event that doesn't get resolved with a thirty minute quest that may not even make any cohesive sense.

There are many good Sci-fi settings that didn't require aliens to affect or influence the plot. Whilst it's fine to find interest in the idea of the 'populated universe', there's just as much for the notion that the vastness of the universe leaves humanity alone to its capabilities and failings, and whether it can survive. Warframe's setting is one that strictly exists in the latter.

Well put. It's one thing to create a creature...another all together to explain why it has its form. A fun thought experiment, sure, but nevertheless not a simple affair...though I speak personally from my own efforts to creating creatures for my own original writing. I imagine other people likely have an easier time with it than I do.

Your Comment made me think, so i tried to shoot my mind and think something outside of the box. for the last big question and for the Where i tought of something:

Remember it's sci-fi.

- They came from our galaxy, they're solar system is composed of 3 suns that pull each other creating a orbital complex form where theyre is balance in the gravity forces (now imagine this 3 suns have a GINORMOUS distance between each other but they're distant enough to create a cozy place at the center of they're orbital trails), this suns(aka stars) have many planets orbiting around them but none had the contindition to breed life. But there's anomaly like earth is, and it's in the center. a planet 2 times bigger than earth, with 3 moons. this planet i will call Firma (from latin, stationary). This planed turn on itself changing the degree every "7 years" because all of the gravitations pull is subject.

- in this planet the termperature is 45 C° with a lowest of 8 C°. The life on this planet need to adapt at the everchanging gravititation pulling of they're solar system, in started like our (to make the lore more friendly) but the big difference is that it's not originated in water, but in the 1/2 pressurized atmosphere the planet have. The life to make roots need "literal" roots to start, so the organism started to "attach" to higly-rich iron soil. they feed with a manner similar to plants at start, then then Evolution kick in and bigger organism came to be. They developed a organs capable to shift the pressure of the gravitation on themselves, the method of communication between trough electrical impulse, they're nervous system is diluited in all the body amking a de-centralized brain. They're body to sustain the everchanging conditions is in a solid-liquid for state (similar to plasticine).

- They're sentient and became capable of travelling in space thanks to the many gravitational pulls the're solar system gave. went to other planets and gather resources, and became capable to build fuel-consuming semi-organic ships that move indipendetly even in presence of gravity.

- But with theyre grow they need to face 2 big urdles. Resources (with many planets to attain they're resources they didn't think about that :D) depletion, and time. Because they're semi liquid state they can't use cryogenic technology like us, but the can live long and they're capable to transfer experience with electric impulses (Ftw internet). So to travel long distances in space they needed something solid to attach, not to much organic to not be attacked, strong, intelligent, that can survive in space...and in need of power. Ring a bell? YES, there is a planet not to much distant from they're last sun and group of planets, and it's our Tau

.......dem.

Edited by Sirfol

I second OP without universe expansion game will slowly die off /decay as the destiny 2 is already announced BUT if Warframe universe explodes destiny 2 does not stand a chance (even if they do all the right moves) <---- but they wont becouse they are weak.

2 minutes ago, Sirfol said:

Remember it's sci-fi

Sci-fi does not mean that Aliens are an intrinsic element of the genre. They are not necessary to write sci-fi whatsoever, so there's no point invoking the genre like it means anything.

Blade Runner. Red Dwarf. Anne MacCaffrey's Dragons of Pern. Asimov's Foundation series. Dune. Eoin Colfer's The Supernaturalist. These are just a few works I can list amidst Sci-fi without any aliens being involved nor necessary.

Absent Aliens is a writing device after all.

42 minutes ago, Sirfol said:

So to travel long distances in space they needed something solid to attach, not to much organic to not be attacked, strong, intelligent, that can survive in space...and in need of power. Ring a bell? YES, there is a planet not to much distant from they're last sun and group of planets, and it's our Tau

...So essentially a bunch of jelly beings are bothering the Sentients.

In a place that isn't immediately relevant.

With no guarantee they've not been disposed of by said Sentients.

And no relevant impact on the plot.

And no reason why specifically Tau compared to all the other myriad stars they could have settled on beyond simply contrivance?

...Why should they exist again? Beyond 'Because aliens!'?

5 hours ago, Blakrana said:

Sci-fi does not mean that Aliens are an intrinsic element of the genre. They are not necessary to write sci-fi whatsoever, so there's no point invoking the genre like it means anything.

Blade Runner. Red Dwarf. Anne MacCaffrey's Dragons of Pern. Asimov's Foundation series. Dune. Eoin Colfer's The Supernaturalist. These are just a few works I can list amidst Sci-fi without any aliens being involved nor necessary.

Absent Aliens is a writing device after all.

...So essentially a bunch of jelly beings are bothering the Sentients.

In a place that isn't immediately relevant.

With no guarantee they've not been disposed of by said Sentients.

And no relevant impact on the plot.

And no reason why specifically Tau compared to all the other myriad stars they could have settled on beyond simply contrivance?

...Why should they exist again? Beyond 'Because aliens!'?

Good points. I would like to remind that I believe Steve has mention about us going OUTSIDE of the solar system. A distant dream DE's. So the idea is not lost on them. But to Tau? If they mean Tau Ceti then if wiki is to be believed it's the 22. closest solar system to Sol. That leaves 21 closer systems. Granted, most of them are probably closer in the other direction and the differences in distances to the final 10 are less then a light year. 

In fact, if I think back a bit, remember the trailer that introduced Alad V as a boss? I believe it's the PS4 release trailer. Alad V says "May our ledgers become ocean and may your margins see Centauri. In the name of Profit, I commit thee to the Void." to Mag. This to me, suggests that Centauri holds some importance to Corpus merchants. And who's to say that we can get to Tau directly from Sol anyway? It could be that the Sentient war was basically Orokin being pushed back, colony by colony. And the last great push had the Tenno charging right through all those fallen systems to Tau to kill the enemy at the source. 

Fun theory, if I do think so myself. 

Edited by Lakais