Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost deluxe - concept and DE version... Ugh...

Sannidor

sometimes people make it super obvious they know nothing about modeling, sculpting, animation, etc.

its basically impossible to take concept art and then make a 100% accurate model of it. The concept isn't even a T pose, its at an angle, which means proportions and shapes have to estimated. That and I bet at least 4 people were involved in the making of the finished product, which means that there will always be a bit of a telephone effect.

Edited by HerpDerpy

10 minutes ago, Reedfish said:

i think its the angle, its almost looking down at him making it seem shorter

People only think it looks bulkier because the concept art's silhouette is turned, which gives the impression that it looks more thinner. Many drawings and photography does it to give it more of a dynamic and feel more animated. Because making it face forward will sometimes give it a very '2D' vibe, that your actually just looking at an image and not something you can suspend your disbelief in. If that makes any sense.

Anyways on topic, yes, the screenshot was at an angle which gives it this stalky feeling. If the OP watched the devstream, it's evident that it's almost a 1/1 identical copy. I and many others have pointed out that there is virtually no difference between the two. Which unfortunately just makes this Topic comes off as a whine thread, trying to create an issue where there is none whatsoever.

I can only assume that wasn't the initial intention but regardless that doesn't change the fact what is actually being conveyed here.

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

Just now, HalfDarkShadow said:

People only think it looks bulkier because the concept art's silhouette is turned, which gives the impression that it looks skinnier. Many drawings and photography does it to give it more of a dynamic and feel more animated. Because making it face forward will sometimes give it a very '2D' vibe, that your actually just looking at an image and not something you can suspend your disbelief in. If that makes any sense.

Anyways on topic, yes, the screenshot was at an angle which gives it this stalky feeling. If the OP watched the devstream, it's evident that it's almost a 1/1 identical copy. I and many others have pointed out that there is virtually no difference between the two. Which unfortunately just makes this Topic comes off as a whine thread, trying to create an issue where there is none whatsoever.

I can only assume that wasn't the initial intention but regardless that doesn't change the fact what is actually being conveyed here.

in all honesty i just want its helmet heh

Just now, HalfDarkShadow said:

^ I'm definitely on the same boat haha. I adore all of Frosty's helmets, but I have a few ideas to mix it with the Graxx skin to make it look awesome lol.

im thinking it will look quite nice with the battle damage myself hehe

9 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

sometimes people make it super obvious they know nothing about modeling, sculpting, animation, etc.

its basically impossible to take concept art and then make a 100% accurate model of it. The concept isn't even a T pose, its at an angle, which means proportions and shapes have to estimated. That and I bet at least 4 people were involved in the making of the finished product, which means that there will always be a bit of a telephone effect.

Wouldn't have thought people would need to know a lot about modelling or sculpting to know to have something remain thin and/or close to an original concept. Can't say I often read about widespread chaos over final results not looking like original concepts.

Anyways, still looking forward to it. Had an appearance tab reserved for a while now.

Edited by Naith

You can't be serious. It's a phone photo of a monitor watching the twitch devstream, so it's subject to distortion triplefold (in-game camera distortion, twitch quality reduction for stream, phone lens distortion of monitor).

You can't get a sense of what it looks like until you're viewing it yourself in-game, or at least with high-def images. That's just Rob's really quick capture from his phone while watching devstream, settle down.

20 minutes ago, RoninJed said:

His head or the horns seem a little bigger or slightly wider then the concept. Other then that it looks pretty close to me....definitely better then banshee.

Mhm, think it's the horns that are throwing me off somewhat.

1 minute ago, Naith said:

Wouldn't have thought people would need to know a lot about modelling or sculpting to know to have something remain thin and/or close to an original concept. Can't say I often read about widespread chaos over final results not looking like original concepts.

criticizing a final product is fine when you don't know anything about the process of getting the final product.

However, you cannot criticize the changes that happen in the process of getting to the final product when you do not understand what goes into making it.

Part of what's making the in game model look bulky is the fact that he has the Frost Prime shoulder vents equipped if you look closely, making his overall build a bit wider and bulkier.

I'm usually one to criticize concept vs execution (Banshee...) but I think this one will turn out well in game. It's a poor image that I don't think is representing the actual model fairly.

Edited by HolidayPi3

6 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

criticizing a final product is fine when you don't know anything about the process of getting the final product.

However, you cannot criticize the changes that happen in the process of getting to the final product when you do not understand what goes into making it.

If I've given someone a concept to stick to and produce and it doesn't come out as intended I'd be telling them to go back and fix it up. To a degree, depending on the seriousness of the environment, someone could potentially get the sack for not keeping in line and if it keeps happening.

It shouldn't matter how many hands it goes through. If there is an intended outcome with a concept/goal it should be adhered to. 

It's common sense. I shouldn't have to know in depth processes about modelling to work this out, because game design is not the only workplace where the practice you have referred to takes place.

40 minutes ago, Sannidor said:

maybe the final version would grow on me

Lucky for you the preview isn't the "final version", that would be the version you purchase in-game, since you cannot do so yet, there is no final version.

The skin looks identical to the concept art, even to the little details on his skirt or neck. His arms only looks weird because of the default Frost Armor.

The angle is quite bad as well, i watched the devstream and it looked fine in different camera angles, since it has such a big head, certain angles don't favor him so much. 

Can't wait for the collection though, day 1 buy.

Edited by aligatorno