Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost deluxe - concept and DE version... Ugh...

Sannidor

4 minutes ago, Shad0wWatcher said:

It is what it is. Also anyone else here planning on only using the helmet with either Hitsu-san or Faven' skins?

i was planning to use this skin with prime helmet or viceversa the normal body with this helmet but looking at the current 3d design i think im gonna use the helmet with the normal body lol

1 minute ago, Cyber-Ghost said:

i was planning to use this skin with prime helmet or viceversa the normal body with this helmet but looking at the current 3d design i think im gonna use the helmet with the normal body lol

I personally never really loved it's design anyway, it looked nice...i just don't like it all that much for Frost For frost i expected something revolving around a trench coat and the whole arctic theme. Sadly that wasn't what we got. The part i liked the most about what we got tho, was the helmet and from what i've seen in the devstream...it's still it's best part imho.

I think the concept and model/texturework looks good.

But something has happened to the proportions of the lower arms, the skirt and the legs.

I sometimes draw or model something without making sure I have enough space to do proper size to things like legs and hands,  resulting in a kind of hobbit.

The joints of the arms and the short length of the legs disturb me. The rest looks fine. Maby in motion it works better.

18 minutes ago, arch111 said:

I think the concept and model/texturework looks good.

But something has happened to the proportions of the lower arms, the skirt and the legs.

I sometimes draw or model something without making sure I have enough space to do proper size to things like legs and hands,  resulting in a kind of hobbit.

The joints of the arms and the short length of the legs disturb me. The rest looks fine. Maby in motion it works better.

Idk man, maybe its just the camera angle that makes it look weird.

5 hours ago, HerpDerpy said:

sometimes people make it super obvious they know nothing about modeling, sculpting, animation, etc.

its basically impossible to take concept art and then make a 100% accurate model of it. The concept isn't even a T pose, its at an angle, which means proportions and shapes have to estimated. That and I bet at least 4 people were involved in the making of the finished product, which means that there will always be a bit of a telephone effect.

This isn't a very good argument as A you don't have to be a chef to say something tastes bad and B DE's artists aren't the only artists in the world and plenty of others get it right

it is perfectly legitimate to say when something isn't done properly, the issue is that we never really see the progress of these skins until far too late into development and we can't directly give our criticism to DE

you don't have to know the ins and outs of the process because identifying when there's a problem is just basic criticism

magwa.jpg

like with this piece shown on an old devstream, you don't have to be an artist to know that the model is way off

Edited by alexmach1

Well i really love it, maybe the coat is too low and hide his FEROCIOUS legs.... "fixed" or not still is a day one purchase for me.

In the other hand in the concept Ignus Dei don't put Frost's armor things in his shoulders, these made that the skin looks more bulkier than he his. 

Edited by NeloAngelicus

Definitely think the body proportions seem a bit off. Could be the angle, but I doubt it.  Too top heavy right now. 

Overall Frost looks short when he isn't because the head and shoulders are too wide when the lower torso is pretty average in width and his legs are too shorts.  Personally I would scale down the upper torso in X & Y axis very slightly and raise his lower torso slightly higher to make his legs appear longer.

But in terms of translating the concept art to complete in-game ready 3D model, I think they did a perfect job, too perfectly.  In-game don't look quite as good because of the camera and the idle stance don't help when he looks to lean a bit forward.  

Hopefully I'm wrong, thankfully we can preview it before purchase, not that big of a deal.     

8 hours ago, Sannidor said:

Original:

Hide contents

OleEOsa.png

DE model:

Hide contents

BfApn9t.png

What happened?

It's way too bulky, looks like a Chinese unlicensed toy based on 80s cartoons.

Sorry, but the details are important. Whole body seem to be out of proportions, head is huge, extra chunks on biceps seem out of place, the skirt is way too low, emphasizing "He-Man effect".

I'm double mad because I like the concept and maybe the final version would grow on me over time but whoever modeled this should add a final touch to the product, please!

It's heavy lighting contrast and a foreshortened bird's eye view.

It's actually very close.

It's like what they did to Ember's.

The concept art was fantastic and I was tempted to buy it but DE's art department changed it and gave it a stupid as all hell head .... thing. 

It looks ridiculous now, Frost seems to have followed suit.

I have no idea why DE's guys need to keep messing with this stuff. 

3 hours ago, alexmach1 said:

This isn't a very good argument as A you don't have to be a chef to say something tastes bad and B DE's artists aren't the only artists in the world and plenty of others get it right

it is perfectly legitimate to say when something isn't done properly, the issue is that we never really see the progress of these skins until far too late into development and we can't directly give our criticism to DE

you don't have to know the ins and outs of the process because identifying when there's a problem is just basic criticism

magwa.jpg

like with this piece shown on an old devstream, you don't have to be an artist to know that the model is way off

You picked a picture of the model while it was still being modeled.  It looked much more like the picture once he was closer to being finished.  I watched that devstream and saw a more complete and detailed model than what you are trying to show here.  Yes it does help to know the ins and outs of a process before critiqing it.  Otherwise you have a really good chance of making yourself look incredibly dumb.

On to the Frost Deluxe.  I think they did a very good job of achieving the likeness of the concept art.  I was worried at first when I first saw the concept art.  I had original thought they might have to cut a lot of corners.  I'm very satisfied with how it turned out. 

People need to realize that the end product regardless of what it is (car,movie set, etc) is rarely if ever exactly like what's show in the concept. 

Edited by DatDarkOne
added info

Not sure of the issue , could someone point out the difference?.

I am a huge fan of the skin and i will buy it day one. I really feel DE did a good job and it looks exactly as i expected it to when done in game.

Really can't wait to get my hands on it. Fashionframe thoughts are all over this. 😊

9 hours ago, Naith said:

I was looking forward to this but I'm slightly let down by his bulk and possibly some of the textures. Some parts could be slimmed down a touch, his helmet seems massive or maybe just the horns. Would look better to have thin ones opposed to chunky.

I think that's the biggest issue here, the head and horns are huge compared to the rest of the body, and that's not just the angle of the picture either. The head and shoulder area just look big even from behind.

3 hours ago, alexmach1 said:

magwa.jpg

You just sickened me for taking a unfinished screenshot of Mag's deluxe skin, knowing full well that it was being lived sculpted in the stream, and passing it off as "way off" in order to 'win' an argument. You need to stop.

The W.I.P of Mag's skin from the same devstream(with more progress on it)

WXC1aiC.jpg

It is pretty close for something in a WIP state. It'll obviously look closer when it has the details added. 

6 minutes ago, alexmach1 said:

magfuq1.jpg

magfuq2.jpg

it still has the same issues dude

And what issues are those?  I still see a work-in-progress that still hasn't been finished.  One that is on it's way to looking like the concept.  Well it doesn't have the textures or lighting added as well as not being finished. 

edit:  It seems that @EmptyDevil also caught the problem with your post.  :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
added info

11 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

You just sickened me for taking a unfinished screenshot of Mag's deluxe skin, knowing full well that it was being lived sculpted in the stream, and passing it off as "way off" in order to 'win' an argument. You need to stop.

its not about the detail its the shape which you would know if you scrolled up and saw that i updated the image, go be sick somewhere else

10 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

And what issues are those?  I still see a work-in-progress that still hasn't been finished.  One that is on it's way to looking like the concept.  Well it doesn't have the textures or lighting added as well as not being finished. 

magfuq3.jpg

they look nothing alike

edit: hold on a sec you're both missing my point, I'm saying you can criticize something without needing to be a professional to which neither of you actually refuted

Edited by alexmach1