Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I for one liked old Exterminate

Oreades

Old exterminate missions where nice, they where a change of pace especially when I was still leveling up. They where my test levels when I wasn't sure if I was ready for the next planet or where I went when I just wanted to chill and explore a tileset. Among the rest of the missions they where unique because they allowed me to explore without the constant looming annoyance or at lower levels genuine threat of backspawn.

Now they are just like every other mission where you bulldoze thoughtlessly to extraction through endless enemies.

The mode was not without it's issues where every once in a great while an enemy would spawn outside the map or find it's way out to whatever bottomless skybox exists outside of the map. I personally can't recall the last time that happened but I can respect that it is annoying when it does. It was also possible in a specific Corpus Invasion Extermination to get sucked through a one way portal (if you weren't careful) before you fully cleared out the corpus ship.

Still it just seems a bit of a shame to homogenize it so it falls in line with every other game mode.

having to search out every single Shield Osprey in some corner of the map isn't very 'nice' if you ask 99.9% of people.

it's a step forward but Exterminate is still literally every other Gamemode with it's Objective removed, but i expect addressing that to be a long term thing. as it doesn't differentiate itself to be a Gamemode. Killing Enemies is something you do... everywhere else anyways.

so i would agree that Exterminate pmuch doesn't have a reason to exist due to lack of Objective, but not having to Kill every single Enemy makes it function better in the meantime.

there isn't really anything here to homogenize though. it's not unique or interesting in any way.

Edited by taiiat

I agree with OP, they were good levels to use low-leveled gear and as a test of strength (or weakness). Because I play extermination solo and usually with non-high end gear I always end up going at a slwoer pace then the usual public party. As a result I rarely have to back-track.

In fact, in the rare event that I had to backtrack it is because I ran a bit like a mindless grinder blasting about with destructive powers and overpowered death dealing machinery. Also, I hate backspawning enemies in non-endless missions, since they ruin stealth/sniper/cover style gamestyles.

Basicly, if you have issues with backtracking, don't rush trough it. If you don't like not-rushing, play endless, It'll be a better usage of your time and sooth your min/max farm/grind mentallity waaaay better then exterminate ever can/will.

9 hours ago, Sintag said:

Because having to backtrack across five tiles or force new spawns was 'fun.'. Especially in Sorties or Syndicate missions.

If you missed an enemy that is on you, the map marker even points them out. If its due to missing spawns or enemies in the floor, those are just bugs, that should be fixed.

Like most game breaking bugs don't cause DE to remove them.

Spy wouldn't get removed if one vault door got permanently locked. 
MD and sabotage wont be removed because the case/key sometimes falls through the floor.
Survival removed because life support stops dropping.

While plenty of other bugs that crop up preventing missions don't cause them to be removed either.  (I've had bugs prevent every mission type being completed at some point or another).

Exterminate's are actually huge for new players (it was for me as well, and taught me a lot about what worked and didn't work without having to rely on power spam, and back then you had all powers from rank 0).  
It let's them actually continue a mission even if they were somewhat under powered for it.  It just meant it took longer but it never felt impossible because of it.  
Mostly because you always have places to fall back to if you ended up in over your head, while also letting you push the boundaries of what you can achieve.  There just isn't any falling back in the current version.

The mission now is just killing things with no real purpose or result.

Edited by Loswaith

23 hours ago, Loswaith said:

The mission now is just killing things with no real purpose or result.

More or less what it was before, i just did one to see and really the only change was having grineer to shoot at on the way out and having them take some shots at me then flee. Was free to loot the place just as i used to be.

I get that many people like the new game mode including myself, but it should have been a new type of mission and not exterminate. It is fast and fun, you don't run out of enemies because someone nukes all enemies before they transform in fissures (or someone gets thrown into the mission when like 20 enemies are left - why matchmaking... whyyyy).

Now one problem i have is that i don't get an exit marker after i have killed the required amount (is that only me or a known bug?). Sometime a green marker pops up, but it shows where the next bunch of enemies spawn. So either i kill 2-3 times the amount on my way in hopes they lead to the exit or find my way by trial and error+experience.

Also i agree with the OP, exterminate was a nice gamemode for exploring or testing stuff outside of simulacrum. Now think of all the new conditions they added to unlocking riven mods. They started out "do this while wearing that" now there are conditions like "do this while wearing that, don't do x, don't do y, do a backflip during nightphase of earth".

Wasn't it nice to have a gamemode with a (low) fixed amount of enemies?

Edited by JuriDoppelherz

On 3/1/2017 at 1:45 PM, Oreades said:

Now they are just like every other mission where you bulldoze thoughtlessly to extraction through endless enemies.

For me, this was old Exterminate. Worse too, because if a Volt or a Loki showed up in the squad they'd showboat and Tonkor everything, with no consideration for shared affinity as they sprint to the end, then get all smug about having "carried" and "What's taking you so long, this mission is ez pz". It wasn't fun. Now I might actually play Exterminates again. It gives me more of a vibe of "just go fight", and having those extra enemies gives me something to do and affinity to gather while those compensating Tenno are waiting for me at extraction ('cuz Lotus knows I am not running to the end of an empty map to save those tryhards their 60 second wait).

16 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

For me, this was old Exterminate. Worse too, because if a Volt or a Loki showed up in the squad they'd showboat and Tonkor everything, with no consideration for shared affinity as they sprint to the end, then get all smug about having "carried" and "What's taking you so long, this mission is ez pz". It wasn't fun. Now I might actually play Exterminates again. It gives me more of a vibe of "just go fight", and having those extra enemies gives me something to do and affinity to gather while those compensating Tenno are waiting for me at extraction ('cuz Lotus knows I am not running to the end of an empty map to save those tryhards their 60 second wait).

Problem being they can do this now but not have to worry in the slightest about missing a few enemies that was off on a side path.  All the change did is let them do what they always did but faster.  Accept now you are also slower because of all the other spawns in your path they ignored.

Edited by Loswaith

While I like the new exterm, I think we can all still conclude that it's just a fix to Fissure Exterms not spawning enough enemies for latecomers.

I wouldn't really care if they simply restrict the new exterm format to fissures, but I'll object reverting everything (including fissures) back to what they used to be.

3 minutes ago, Mattoropael said:

While I like the new exterm, I think we can all still conclude that it's just a fix to Fissure Exterms not spawning enough enemies for latecomers.

I wouldn't really care if they simply restrict the new exterm format to fissures, but I'll object reverting everything (including fissures) back to what they used to be.

^ This is a nice idea, I like it.

While we are at it, something along the same lines should be done for fissure defense missions as well: in solo, the chance of dropping 10 reactant in 5 waves is awfully low. (I farm prime parts in full groups, but I prefer to farm traces solo because I can go on as much as I like, and I can't use defense for that purpose at the moment.)

1 hour ago, Mattoropael said:

Well exterm is meant to lock out players from joining the mission once half of the enemies have been killed. Not sure if is still letting players in or its due to the occasional very slow load-in times, in both cases these really need to be addressed as I'd expect its not meant to really be that way.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. The old exterminate was a great testbed for builds, gear and the like, and a good change of pace from other missions.

Having a limited number of enemies allowed exploration, it allowed me to have a proper look around maps and their various aesthetic quirks (yes I like just pootling around looking at things), and I've always found them a fun way to relax from tenser, more fraught missions.

Whilst I agree that if the alteration is due to Fissures then it may well be necessary, but that could have been rolled out separately, or even turned into a new mission type. Decimate or something similar as opposed to the old Exterminate. I admit too that the fact that the new version ISN'T actually an Exterminate any more also bothers me a little :P

If I wanted to do a mission against endless waves of enemies I'd play...well...any other mission.

I want to echo the reduced opportunity for exploration complaint. I think DE made this change against its own interest of its environment artists who did quite a good job making tiles. I know some of the players don't care about looking around the sceneries on their 43578th run of the same map, but keep in mind that those who are new to the game and may want to see every detailed corner of the map.

The new Exterminate missions with extra enemies spawning once the required number is fine but there is one big flaw. After killing the required number we are told the enemy is broken and we can leave, great but the green exit maker on the map disappears after a short while and sometimes it is just not clear where the exit is located. The green exit maker should remain for the rest of the mission as it is done. If you wish to remain and kill more spawning enemy that should be your choice. If you can find the exit without the green mark and you happen to locate yourself at the exit you do leave.

DE please fix this so that the green exit location marker remains. Thanks. (from one Canadian to another)

5 hours ago, kgptzac said:

I want to echo the reduced opportunity for exploration complaint. I think DE made this change against its own interest of its environment artists who did quite a good job making tiles. I know some of the players don't care about looking around the sceneries on their 43578th run of the same map, but keep in mind that those who are new to the game and may want to see every detailed corner of the map.

Im with you there. Even if i played this game for more than 3 years now i think (if my math skills work right), i love to eplxore the levels, admire the tileset designs, enjoying the audio too that the tilsets have.

Ofcorse, it make sense with grineer and corpus missions that they would lose morale, sure, i buy that, but one thing that really bothers me, and after my searching, apparently is the only one seeing this flaw, is that The Orokin Neural Sentry uses enemy troops as its fodder, so, ''morale'' souldnt be something it has, nor its troops, hence what Lotus calls *Mindless attack drones*.

Same thing about the void missions too, i love to explore the golden towers, but having this new exterminate mission mode on certainly inst making it pleasant to explore.

Well, they could've fixed relocating in Exterminate to work properly again (and not only backwards..) but they decided to go for this solution (relocating enemies to a nearer location to you does work flawlessly in all other game modes where it isn't as crucial for the player side). The strange part about this is that it was working for the longest time but has been axed (and left broken for over a year) to prevent some Focus farming method (they could've just put a limit and a timer on relocation in general, so that you can't kill 200 enemies at extraction but welp).

Anyways, I'm kind of happy that it mostly fixed all of the game mode's problems. But:

On 9.3.2017 at 11:04 PM, KingerNorth said:

DE please fix this so that the green exit location marker remains. Thanks. (from one Canadian to another)

I can't help but be reminded of backtracking in every damn mission because the enemies will constantly spawn way behind you, effectively removing the last tiny bit of indication in what direction you might want to go to extract, which isn't only quite an annoyance but also totally confusing for new players (then again, I guess you get to explore the levels by design). So yeah, a fix for the exit marker to stay just like in every other game mode would be much appreciated.

I don't like it for one simple reason:

Extermination is totally wiping out a population, not killing people until someone says "they're running away now" even though they're really not.

It makes no sense to still call it Extermination, especially with the Infested, where our job is supposed to be to wipe it all out so it can't spread.

I SO agree with the OP.

Here are (9) reasons why the old exterminate mission was better.  It allowed me to try to use my (1) weapons and warframes past their boundaries or limits. I liked knowing that I had a (2) place to hide, all I had to do was to back tracked if I got into real trouble. When I reached that magic number I knew I made it and I could end the mission any time I wanted. Also once the enemy count was reached, I could taking my time - I enjoyed looking around and seeing all the hard work DE's graphics design department did on making new tile sets or on improving the old ones (that cool lighting they're doing is really great). I liked being able to run around finding (3) secret rooms, working on (4) solving puzzles, or going back for that (5) loot I just passed without getting shot, hunting down an (6) Ayatan Treasure that I needed, or finding things like (7) medallions or (8) Kuria's. Sometimes I would just go off exploring looking for (9) bugs to report on some of the maps/tile sets. It was just nice knowing the threat of dying and failing the mission wasn't there anymore because the objective was completed.  I agree that certain missions can be group rushed and that's all well and good. But if I choose to take my time, I would also choose to run the mission alone.

There is a problem too when more enemies start spawning in, the green extraction symbol on the map disappears and in most cases doesn't come back due to all the extra red enemy dots. Now comes the wandering about trying not to die while finding the proper pathway to the extraction point. And even when I get 50M or less from it, it still did't show itself as the extraction point! 

So why didn't this new Exterminate just get added in as an extra mission type and get named something like "Limited Survival"? Because this is certainly NOT a true exterminate anymore. They don't "run away." Their "will" is not broken. It's now just another tedious shoot your enemy again and again and again killing game.

48 minutes ago, X-Sarge said:

It allowed me to try to use my (1) weapons and warframes past their boundaries or limits.

While I don't really see how its relatively low level enemies are limiting, what exactly has changed in that regard? It's not like they will miraculously scale to lvl100+ only because you stay longer.

56 minutes ago, X-Sarge said:

I liked knowing that I had a (2) place to hide, all I had to do was to back tracked if I got into real trouble.

Same here, what has changed? I'm currently idling on Adaro, Sedna and it doesn't seem like any Grineer wants to come and look for me (that were 13 minutes of undisturbed idling). Did another one where I had to kill 99 and ended up with 124 kills and no spawns after that whatsoever. Went to Narcissus, Pluto instead and let them trigger the alarms from the very beginning. Aside from the occasional Bursa spawn, there were no additional spawns after 170 enemies either which can be deactivated. So, it seems like an average of about 30 more enemies than advertised before you completely take your time to explore.

1 hour ago, X-Sarge said:

(3) to (8)

I feel like those are all the same reason :P Anyways, while I don't want to argue anyone's playstyle, I feel like you can do these while naturally progressing through the mission. We have a lot of tools to keep enemies from disrupting us, e.g. (high aoe) cc abilities which can lock them from doing anything for forever. Or, as stated above, kill everything til they stop spawning.

Sometimes I would just go off exploring looking for (9) bugs to report on some of the maps/tile sets.

Well, depending on the bug, of course, but in most cases pressing F6 for a screenshot including meta data and submitting a report after the mission should do the trick; or setting to solo and pause (if you're running in a squad, let the others protect you :D).

There is a problem too when more enemies start spawning in, the green extraction symbol on the map disappears and in most cases doesn't come back due to all the extra red enemy dots.

Yeah, this should be fixed as soon as possible as it makes no sense (and works in all other game modes).

Its name as 'Exterminate' is certainly obsolete now but I always felt like it was quite arbitrary anyway - as if there would really only be 100 to 200 on that galleon.

I won't argue that the solution they went for isn't exactly ideal and there's room for improvement but at least it's not broken to its core anymore.

Up side: people connecting in fissure missions but spawn late have a chance to finish the 10 reactants

Downside: the required kill count has a chance to go higher. The sortie the day before yesterday with Exterminate started out with me needing to get 190~ Grineer. This suddenly rose to 206, then 208. 

Also, I liked old exterminate because after getting the last guy, it's like "FINALLY I can explore without being disturbed". But now I guess not T_T