Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Feedback 20.3.1 and beyond

ScribbleClash

2 hours ago, (Xbox One)Knight Raime said:

Since it has the potential to strip armor it's not "useless."  It also procs enemies with radation.  which on top of reckoning itself being hard cc it's also doing a soft cc.  Plus reckoning also does extra damage to irradiated enemies.  You're also forgetting enemies that don't die to reckoning get blinded for a short bit.  Think of oberon having check boxes for his abilities.

When an enemy is hit by smite do they die?  If yes spawn orbs.  If no spawn orbs.  Do those orbs kill their target? if yes job is done.  if no inflict puncture.

Player casts renewal.  Is an effected target on hollowed ground?  if yes give armor.  If no than just keep heal on people with an extended bleed timer.

Player casts reckoning.  Is the target on hollowed ground? if yes strip armor.  Is the enemy killed by reckoning? if yes maybe spawn a health orb.  if no inflict them with blind and radation.

Oberon's kit is about flexibility.  his abilities react accordingly to the situation.

I know all of this..
My thread is focussed on the health orbs.. and this mechanic is useless, unless it will get triggered even if enemies dont die...
Then you can finally build around this mechanic with the simaris mod.. Noone needs health orbs in low lvl missions (1-45).. I mean Oberon can heal and the simaris mod isnt
worth the Slot in those easy missions..

The Blind effect isnt good... i can group enemies up and use his 4th and also hit as fast as possible with the melee weapon and it wont be a useful critical/stealth hit because the duration doesnt help at all. (base duration of 8 sec would be good)
I would rather completly delete the health orb mechanic, if this would cause to a good functioning blind effect

Edited by Teshin_Dax

13 minutes ago, Tobyfield said:

oberon isn't better he does less damage then before and his smite can't kill a lv 1 corrupted heavy gunner with 230 ps. and he does less damage then what was on the dev stream and if there is scaling its not noticeable. go to youtube and watch brozime stream on Oberon. He is by far the worst frame in game atm. 

I already did, but after the hotfix he got MILDLY better, just because his Renewal is now a toggle.

i agree that oberon has serious energy consumption issues right now, but as you said, part of the problem is because he is being forced to spam reckoning. i also believe that part of the reason we are being forced to spam reckoning is that strength, duration, and range just aren't good alternatives to efficiency, both on reckoning and across his entire kit (even though you also can't dunk them into the negatives). thus one alternative could be to buff the effects of modding for strength, duration, and range on oberon (and in the process, make him less reliant on spamming reckoning).

strength: smite's hp% damage scaling with strength, hallowed ground having a higher status chance so that it can max at maybe 70% to offset how radiation is less reliable as CC to begin with.

duration: reckoning blind actually being functional as CC so that you don't have to spam for knockdown (it should also be 6 seconds at base imo since you don't get anything out of it while enemies are knocked down), being just as good on renewal as efficiency is (right now it is only half as efficient and doesn't appear to speed up regen rate like it used to, though i need to do more testing). maybe it could even affect smite's total damage output like it used to.

range: reckoning blind actually being functional as CC so that you don't have to spam for knockdown, hallowed ground having a higher status chance is also an indirect buff to range despite overextended being a tradeoff between the two

my hope would be that strength + duration would rely mostly on smite and hallowed ground for more damage and for single-target knockdowns and more reliable procs of radiation while still having a strong but still efficient heal (and armor buff) to make up for the less overwhelming CC, while range + duration would have longer CC times of blind and radiation over large areas so that its less powerful heal has more time to work.

right now, i would say that currently my main sustainability mods for oberon are quick thinking, primed flow, and rage. efficiency forces me to take 3 more: primed continuity, fleeting expertise, and streamline. i typically take vitality and the last slot is flexible. if efficiency weren't necessary i might take narrow minded (not maxed), blind rage (also not maxed), streamline, primed continuity, intensify, stretch, or even an augment among my last 5 mods to build strength + duration, or narrow minded, primed continuity, streamline, overextended, and stretch for range + duration.

i will readily concede that this isn't actually an alternative to oberon having severe energy consumption issues, and thus not an alternative to being forced to use rage. however, if we are concerned about the number of mandatory mod slots limiting build and gameplay diversity on oberon, i think that you could also give him more flexibility by giving him real alternatives to maxing efficiency.

Edited by continue

Just now, cookieknife said:

Just wondering, is Oberon's rework/revisit finished? Or is oberon staying in his hole of mediocrity ?

Scott's official answer is that he wants to see how Oberon does over the weekend, and he will decide early next week if he wants to make any more changes for the immediate future. Mostly, Scott seems to be fairly happy with where he is though. 

1 hour ago, Neightrix said:

I'll post here since it's the hottest thread at the moment.

My impression is that, when Oberon is solo, or when on a team where teammates are not taking much or any health damage, the energy drain from Renewal seems reasonable. If Oberon's teammates all take health damage, he can lose a lot of energy very quickly. I've had a few instances where, if I was not taking hits to build energy from Rage, I ran out of energy between the teammate drain and casting other abilities normally. I say this as someone who runs a max Primed Flow and 1 full set of Arcane Energize. I can definitely see why players think the drain and energy usage is too high without Rage (some even with Rage).

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd say the energy drain from healing teammates could be lowered to 1/2 or 1/3 of what it currently is. More might need to be done beyond that, but that would be helpful from my perspective.

^ This.

What it really comes down to is that having renewal on allies can suck Oberon dry FAST.

Hope DE catches wind of it >_>

8 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Scott's official answer is that he wants to see how Oberon does over the weekend, and he will decide early next week if he wants to make any more changes for the immediate future. Mostly, Scott seems to be fairly happy with where he is though. 

well thats good to know ty. i hope they realize hes lacking... a lot compared to limbo or mag or volt rework

1 minute ago, cookieknife said:

well thats good to know ty. i hope they realize hes lacking... a lot compared to limbo or mag or volt rework

The best anyone can do if they think Oberon still needs work is to play him on sorties and raids and such over the weekend, and then post their impressions in the feedback thread and explain what they think can be done to fix what's wrong. Scott is willing to make some changes still, but he really wants people to give the current Oberon a chance for a few days and then tell him what they think. He didn't sound like he wants to make major changes, but he is definitely open if people can give him a consensus on what needs to be fixed, or can point out a problem everyone is dealing with in sorties or something. 

One of the biggest takeaways I got from Scott was that he saw a lot of contradicting feedback, not so much in terms of what was wrong, but what should be done. He said there didn't seem to be any clear consensus on how to make him better, or what he should be/be best at. I think if people got more on the same page, at least on a few specific issues that they think Oberon is weak on still and needs some improvement, and then put forth a clear majority solution, we would have more of a chance of him taking action. Right now I kind of understand where he is. He just changed Oberon, people haven't had much time to see how it works yet, and he has dozens of different suggestions on how to "make the rework better" but no clear majority consensus on much of anything. Probably because Oberon is a jack of all trades. 

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

The best anyone can do if they think Oberon still needs work is to play him on sorties and raids and such over the weekend, and then post their impressions in the feedback thread and explain what they think can be done to fix what's wrong. Scott is willing to make some changes still, but he really wants people to give the current Oberon a chance for a few days and then tell him what they think. He didn't sound like he wants to make major changes, but he is definitely open if people can give him a consensus on what needs to be fixed, or can point out a problem everyone is dealing with in sorties or something. 

One of the biggest takeaways I got from Scott was that he saw a lot of contradicting feedback, not so much in terms of what was wrong, but what should be done. He said there didn't seem to be any clear consensus on how to make him better, or what he should be/be best at. I think if people got more on the same page, at least on a few specific issues that they think Oberon is weak on still and needs some improvement, and then put forth a clear majority solution, we would have more of a chance of him taking action. Right now I kind of understand where he is. He just changed Oberon, people haven't had much time to see how it works yet, and he has dozens of different suggestions on how to "make the rework better" but no clear majority consensus on much of anything. Probably because Oberon is a jack of all trades. 

imo raids wont be too possible just because of the fact 8x energy drain + their companions, and no energy regen on oberon's part

The problem with reworking Oberon is too many people who didn't play him before the rework are chiming in telling them how to change him to be more like the rest of the frames in the game when that's not what how he works. People need to actually spend a good amount of time playing him and offering refined feedback, rather than coming onto the forums and going, "I can't kill level 145 corrupted heavy gunners in two seconds, fix it pls."

Just now, Chipputer said:

The problem with reworking Oberon is too many people who didn't play him before the rework are chiming in telling them how to change him to be more like the rest of the frames in the game when that's not what how he works. People need to actually spend a good amount of time playing him and offering refined feedback, rather than coming onto the forums and going, "I can't kill level 145 corrupted heavy gunners in two seconds, fix it pls."

This is pretty much the gist of what Scott said. Both that people needed to play the rework a bit to give better feedback on it, and that he had too many voices yelling at him at once. I think he was a little exasperated by just how many different ideas on the direction of the rework he was getting. People want him to be more than support/cc, they want him to be a godly damage dealer, or something else entirely. They hear he is reworked, and instead of trying to view the rework through the lens of that frames playstyle, they start trying the frame again, and get mad when the rework doesn't conform it to their favorite frames style. 

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

This is pretty much the gist of what Scott said. Both that people needed to play the rework a bit to give better feedback on it, and that he had too many voices yelling at him at once. I think he was a little exasperated by just how many different ideas on the direction of the rework he was getting. People want him to be more than support/cc, they want him to be a godly damage dealer, or something else entirely. They hear he is reworked, and instead of trying to view the rework through the lens of that frames playstyle, they start trying the frame again, and get mad when the rework doesn't conform it to their favorite frames style. 

It would also help if they didn't think the people that actually play and appreciate Oberon weren't worthless to listen to. The players, I mean.

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Omg I can't nuke the entire origin system with one button. Oberon sux DE PLS FIX!!!11111!!1!

Let's say if wf meta aren't something like "don't let anything touch you by any means(invis, cc, iframe, decoy, deployable shields)", "remove armor in a blink" and "stack ultra high dmg multipliers"..... Oberon is pretty ok I guess?

Edited by Volinus7

People need to play him outside of Akkad and the simulacrum. I liked Oberon before the rework and I think he got a fair revisit. I never saw him as a DPS frame. He is support all the way. Imo, his kit is all about dealing rad procs, which I find great against endless infested missions (and an occasional heal). He's not useless and he's not garbage.

Why not just put Oberon back to the drawing board?
I mean he is just a bigger mess than he used to now, and these retweaks are not making things better obviously, since the majority of people didin't like his abilities even in the first place..

Smite got Buffed yesterday, it now deals impact damage + 20% Enemy Health and +35% Enemy shield as damage.

About the rest of his Kit, it was great that they turned Renew into a Toggle and he can get armor bonus with his Hallowed Ground skill.

If your expecting him to be a Nuke warframe then just dont, its not what hes ment to be.

This is a good Video for you guys to watch when you have the time:

Just now, (PS4)TwilightGrim said:

i ask 2 things:

-- they have power strength effect percent of health used, not number of orbs

-- have the armor debuff be effected by total armor and not current armor

why not increase Hallowed Ground's range so it can keep up easier with Reckoning and Renewal while also giving it half of Iron Renewal's armor buff and just let Iron Renewal work as normal without stacking with Hallowed Ground? 

1 minute ago, Phalian said:

why not increase Hallowed Ground's range so it can keep up easier with Reckoning and Renewal while also giving it half of Iron Renewal's armor buff and just let Iron Renewal work as normal without stacking with Hallowed Ground? 

because it is a simpler thing to do, not changing power mechanics, just changing how the numbers in existing powers work