The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Feedback 20.3.1 and beyond

ScribbleClash

1 hour ago, Vance.Stubbs said:

Surely he is better than he used to be, but after beating a few sorties I still can't see a reason to use him over many objectevely better Warframes. Energy consuption is too high, CC is decent but not as good as Nova, Rhino, Nyx, Vauban and other can provide. Heal is alright for tanky frames, but it won't help resisting one-shots for your team on high levels, unlike Trinity's Blessing.

Overall, he is still bad. I'd pick Trinity over him any day.

Ya but its spose to be because he Is a Jack. trinity dosnt have the CC he does. same as how CC frames dosnt have the heals he does.

but ya oberon rework needs some touch up hear and there still to put him in a perfect spot without just straight up removing a focused frame from there job position.

8 hours ago, Olianu said:

Short Answer from my own personal view of it being my favorite frame:  yes.  He has been improved quite a bit.

He got a base energy buff from 100 - 150

Smite now not only deals base damage but the orbs that ricochet off now deal base damage and percent health of the opponents health and shields.  still kept the damage cut, radiation proc and knock down.

Hallowed Ground has a radiation proc and its field of effect has been increased to being 180 degrees and increases in radius and distance with range.

Renewal synchronizes with HG so you can get a numerical armor buff instead of percentage armor buff (as I have it built now, it's 400 armor and 80 HP regen along with a base heal.  Practically perfect with rage!)

Reckoning does initially slightly less damage, but on any radiation proced enemies, they take bonus damage.

Smite and Recknoing also deal both impact and radiation damage evenly, so he can be used more effectively against the corpus as well as grineer.  While still not too good against most infested, he can still be used for support in infested missions.  Most people that complain about him now are too blind and refuse to see how he's been improved and it's a loud minority saying he sucks.

You forgot to mention that Reckoning Synergizes with Hallowed ground too by depleting armor with a base number of 30% when enemys standing on hallowed ground are affected. That he's uneffective against infested is kinda false too as radiation proccs effectively disable aura influence on enemys, what works wonders against higher levels of infested, when ancients take over...

Renewal has become a channeled ability that drains energy per healed target.... add QT to the calculation for health and energy regeneration while taking damage, add high strength, a lil range, duration and kinda ignore efficiency and you're practicly immortal on the battlefield while dishing damage, spreading Cc and supporting like a young god.

I agree to the last part. His rework was a huge success. All those people complain about are design choices that go very well with his new playstyle which centers around staying alive and making heavy use of hallowed ground, which is a obvious contrast to his prior playstyles which were relatively spammy.

Dissatisfaction on such a high level that it's ridiculous....

1 hour ago, Music4Therapy said:

It's easy to hop on the bandwagon and say "omg Oberon is bad"

The reality is, players like me that have taken the time to figure out his optimal builds and how to play the new Oberon have had great success with him. I've been able to take him 90 minutes into a solo Mot game without the use of Naramon. I've been able to prevent MANY deaths with Renewal+Iron Renewal with Phoenix Renewal. I've been able to make the infested nigh obsolete via the use of status immunity provided by Hallowed Ground and Radiation via Smite/HG/Reckoning to disable their auras. The Grineer are already made trivial by CC and can't do anything to prevent themselves from being radiated then armor stripped. The Corpus and Corrupted factions are the only factions that can give him trouble, but many frames have the same issue and again I've been able to take him 90 minutes deep into Mot in a solo game. He makes a joke out of the star chart/most sorties when played correctly.

He is a top tier frame, notice how the majority of players that say otherwise either don't say why or repeat the same "jack of all trades" trope which is 100% moronic. Rhino, Volt, Octavia, etc... are jack of all trades and excel in different areas. Oberon isn't a god tier frame like Octavia, Ivara, or Limbo. But he is great, I'd place him along with or above the vast majority of the cast in his current state.

I wouldnt really call rhino or volt a jack...but I more or less agree. Like Ive always loved oberon even when he was complete trash (pre FIRST rework..when his skills were soley dmg with no utility at all) and I sitll like the fact I can heal,damage,CC through a match. (makes soloing great due to having a healer and a buffer and a decent amount of CC in one frame) And I love the fact that he IS a jack of all trades. since he holds the roll of an offensive fighter or a defensive healer if you wanted.
still skeptical on his 1 doing less dmg/orb when building power through.

19 minutes ago, Ordosan said:

Ya but its spose to be because he Is a Jack. trinity dosnt have the CC he does. same as how CC frames dosnt have the heals he does.

but ya oberon rework needs some touch up hear and there still to put him in a perfect spot without just straight up removing a focused frame from there job position.

Oberon being a jack of all trades is his fundamental design flaw, simple as that. 

Endgame in Warframe is not a forgiving place for anything but specialized frames, because of how difficulty scaling works. 

Entry-level missions allow you to fool around with any combination of frames and weapons. Past a certain point, tho, if you need damage, you need tons of it. If you need healing, you need a lot and in shortest time possible. If you need CC, you need it to be as hard and OP as possible. If you need defenses, they better be damn near impenetrable. 

Yeah, Oberon's kit has it all. But unless you specifically enjoy being able to do a bit of everything without shining in anything, picking another frame for that spot will always be a better choice. 

And no, the fact that a good, dedicated Oberon player is capable of doing what a bad "meta" warframe player cannot doesn't change much. A decent driver with a family van will outrun a drunken lunatic behind the wheel of a racing car - simply because the latter will crash into the nearest tree. Doesn't mean that the same family van won't be left in the dust when said racing car is piloted by a pro racer. 

Edited by Reifnir

3 hours ago, Reifnir said:

Before, playing Oberon was like using a unicycle to haul industrial amounts of bricks and cement at a construction site. Theoretically doable, but you looked like a mentally challenged clown every time. 

After the rework, you unicycle is now a wheelbarrow. With square wheels. So yeah, it kinda gets the job done with a lot of sweat and swearing, but the rattling annoys the living hell out of everyone present and there are still much better ways of doing this. 

Seeing how renewal pays itself of with taken damage, how hallowed ground does it's job after as much as one set and how effective reckoning and smite work quite well with specific goals in mind, maybe? I'd place him at a wheelbarrow with sqare tires and a engine that can be set to your needs. It gets the job done and is a selfrunner on a propper calibration after all.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

2 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

Oberon being a jack of all trades is his fundamental design flaw, simple as that. 

Endgame in Warframe is not a forgiving place for anything but specialized frames, because of how difficulty scaling works. 

Entry-level missions allow you to fool around with any combination of frames and weapons. Past a certain point, tho, if you need damage, you need tons of it. If you need healing, you need a lot and in shortest time possible. If you need CC, you need it to be as hard and OP as possible. If you need defenses, they better be damn near impenetrable. 

Yeah, Oberon's kit has it all. But unless you specifically enjoy being able to do a bit of everything without shining in anything, picking another frame for that spot will always be a better choice. 

And no, the fact that a good, dedicated Oberon player is capable of doing what a bad "meta" warframe player cannot doesn't change much. A decent driver with a family van will outrun a drunken lunatic behind the wheel of a racing car - simply because the latter will crash into the nearest tree. Doesn't mean that the same family van won't be left in the dust when said racing car is piloted by a pro racer. 

well ya. not gonna argue that he isnt as good as a speciallized frame...but my personal play style kinda prefers the rounded edges...even if it might tecnically make things harder on me. course I personally take oberon most places cuz it lets me not rely on other players.

11 minutes ago, Ordosan said:

well ya. not gonna argue that he isnt as good as a speciallized frame...but my personal play style kinda prefers the rounded edges...even if it might tecnically make things harder on me.

Nothing wrong with having fun when it's possible to have fun. Heck, I took a freshly-formaed r0 Ember to an Infested survival fissure map once. With nothing but a Jat Kittag (+Life Strike +Vulcan Blitz). Slapped maxed Vitality, Primed Vigor, Redirection and Rage on her, then proceeded to smash the heads of everything that moved. Ended up doing the most damage on the team without dying once.

Did I have fun? Hell yeah. 

Does that mean Ember is a viable choice for a melee frame in endurance runs like Gold Trophy Ambulas Reborn? Hell no. 

It's almost the same with Oberon. With heavy formaing and some effort you can fool around for quite some time. Feel useful, even, and with the rework the window of opportunity for fooling around and/or being useful got extended a bit. But when the push comes to shove, specialized frames will inevitably take over, that hasn't changed one bit. 

Edited by Reifnir

So many conflicting opinions...

Really, I think it comes down to this;

Oberon is an amazing Jack-Of-All-Trades in a game where Jack-Of-All-Trades aren't really that good.

The whole "he's medicore at everything" is more holding him back than helping him. There are still a lot of frames to use over him in many situations.

But whatever, DE has done what they will and are probably going to leave him now. To me, he feels unfinished and rough around the edges.

Edited by KX297

10 hours ago, LODESAMONEY said:

I haven't played since then, been trying to wait out Oberon Prime, which I've heard is probably the next frame in line to be Primed. 

Has Oberon improved in any way since the last time I played, around Christmas of 2016? Or is the class still shunned by the purist master race with no love for the hybrids?

I feel Oberon is now better for Solo play but Renewal was made worse for Trial squad runs.

Reasoning= Old Renewal had drain over distance and potentially unlimited Range but basically in the large Trial maps you could heal everything with reasonable drain.

Current Renewal drain increases per ally healed with Nekros Shadows counting as individual Ally's....Nekros s more common in Jordas Verdict than LoR but basically you can get above 30+ energy per second drain on Renewal in a Trial setting with 1 Nekros in group. If there are 2 or more Nekros in group, you are better off never using Renewal to heal.

Also other Warframes with Channeled drains can still get energy Regen in Limbo Rift, but Oberon cannot.

I'm hoping that DE is going to allow Team composition synergy and thus Harrow + Oberon can be a Trinity replacement in Trials. 

(I'm skeptical at this point and feel Harrow energy restoration will not work on Oberon Renewal, so he still will not be Trial heal-friendly)

Hoping they revert Renewal back to fixed drain over distance rather than drain-per-ally**

What are some standard builds for Oberon these days in terms of mods?

I'm still patching the game so I have yet to see any of the changes implemented since December 2016. I don't know what's different.

Edited by LODESAMONEY

20 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Wow, someone else that thought Oberons old passive was cool! 

I actually liked the old passive and I felt it gave him a nice quirk. It came in handy more than this new buff that I barely notice. Oh well, the community was obsessed about the passive being a buff and DE gave in.

I know it only worked on grineer, but I fight grineer a lot (about as often as corpus, more than infested). It was nice to have a buffer against those darn cats, and have then help me out. If anything, they should've let him keep both passives. It's still a familiar passive.

Personally I have always thought that Inaros and Nidus set a new standard with passives.

IMO it should be 2 passives, one thematic and one statistical.

For instance, Inaros has his sarcophagus and no shield with a huge base pool of health.

Oberon could have something like his old passive and a shared scaling between armor and power strength.

8 hours ago, Reifnir said:

Before, playing Oberon was like using a unicycle to haul industrial amounts of bricks and cement at a construction site. Theoretically doable, but you looked like a mentally challenged clown every time. 

After the rework, you unicycle is now a wheelbarrow. With square wheels. So yeah, it kinda gets the job done with a lot of sweat and swearing, but the rattling annoys the living hell out of everyone present and there are still much better ways of doing this. 

7 hours ago, UvBenServed said:

Also, you can give your fellow construction workers hard hats, but only if they're touching the wheelbarrow. And if anyone isn't touching the wheelbarrow when you're giving out the hard hats (cause they got distracted or something), then you have to take back everyone's hard hats and try again.

This is probably the best way to describe it.  In the end, I can't think of anything I'd use Oberon for that I wouldn't rather use something else for.

Hallowed Ground should be a circle and stick with Oberon.  If an ally touches Hallowed Ground at any point after Renewal is cast they should pick up the armor buff.  He also needs an energy regen mechanic.  Buffing his energy pool does nothing if you still only receive 25 energy from orbs.  I'm also thinking Phoenix Renewal should be part of the ability, not an augment.

Thing is, I don't play a specific frame or weapon because it's the "best for the job," I play it because it's what I want to play. Personally I despise the recruiters that only look for very specific classes/builds because everyone should be free to choose whatever they want to play, even if it's not the absolute best for the job.

Is he better? Yes and no

Yes because he feels a bit nicer to play around with a small buff for all of his abilities

No because he can't do healing with unlimited range anymore and he's much more energy hungry now. His synergy feels forced so I wouldn't call that synergy at all.

Overall, he's not much improved and still...not that good. With a few little changes, which I hope, he can be really decent.

In my opinion he went from a 2/10 to a 4-5/10.

They almost had it. The mechanic changes are great and I am all for it. Numbers still need some tweaking and he'd be good in my books.

Edited by BobbyD
Typo

Is he better? Certainly.
is he worth picking over pretty much anything else? Not unless you're playing strictly for fun.

My full review's here, but tl;dr-

Smite's basically the same, though apparently it's got a niche bursting down solo bosses due to the wisp gaining a percentile damage component.
Hallowed Ground's got the same anti-status, gained rad procs, and is a much more useable shape now (180 degree 15m arc at base), though it doesn't scale 1:1 with range mods, so going over ~100% range isn't as helpful as you'd expect - nor is going under as restrictive as you'd expect - and ends up with less coverage than Reckoning at high range.
Renewal's method of application's worse, imo, but being able to use it as a permanent HoT (while energy reserves last) pretty much makes up for that.
Iron Renewal's great - though trying to apply it to teammates tends to suck.
Likewise Pheonix Renewal is quite nice now.
Reckoning's basically the same. There's some interaction with HG, but with the range discrepancy, I don't really find that it works too well as a defensive measure. It can work if you're charging into a group, but in higher level content you pretty much don't want to do, imo.

Depending on your playstyle, what levels you're tackling (and which teammates you'll have), you either want high range, medium duration and good eff for CC, or Strength > Eff > and at least 80% Dur and Range, though more's nice, if you can fit it. Also, Vit, Rage, and Flow or Phoenix Renewal, and that's pretty much all your mod slots.

I feel that the only real signifcant change is the interaction between 2 and 3 which coupled with the augment can make Oberon has a much higher survivability.

1st feel better but it was always good for a first. 4th is still lackluster but it was always like this. 2nd is almost useless by itself in a game where everybody is jumping around like Cirque de Soleil.

Crazy talk. Oberon is a beast now.  I actually brought him to the last two sorties to compensate for being in a PUG...and he was extremely valuable. 

His healing is good now, constant regeneration and flat armor buffs,and he can sort of tank damage now. His CC is good and now it strips armor, Hallowed ground provided a bit of CC and because its wider, does very well at removing status from team, Smite is weird...sometimes it seems VERY powerful, other times, it just a good long distance harasser of the enemy. 

Sure...He's not meta-frame status, but many of us DONT like always playing or relying on these meta frames just because we can. Oberon is in a good place, If you know how to play, he's very satisfying IMO. He has a nice balance of power and gameplay, definitely not a p42w frame. He takes planning and execution to be successful with. Im glad not EVERY frame in this game is OP. Oberon is right in the middle for me.

I havent tried him in a Raid, but as far as sorties go and 95% of content, you cant go wrong with Oberon. He's just a very active and cast heavy frame. Dont expect his skills to do all the work for you.

see the post above by marrik basiclly.

personally i would love for some at least minor tweaks range difference 2/4, energydrain minions etc. but in the current state it feels like even these will not happen...

Edited by sulusdacor

Is it too late to consider releasing prime alternate helmets DE? I just want my golden antler crown, for Broberon prime, I don't want to be a sacred cow.

Also the overall nerf really needs to be looked at again, just check this thread, lots of good suggestions

Edited by Cangtaro

Regardless of what the tone the posts in this thread might have one think, I don't think there is some overriding consensus about how good or bad Oberon is right now. For every derisive thing I've seen about his kit, there is someone else who is fine with it. Given that, I don't see what motivation DE would have fidget with Oberon anymore.

Look at this,

latest?cb=20160511233151

seriously, The effect trigger only once every 90s are an Irony for Oberon and like spitting at Oberon face itself.  my suggestion are low the cooldown to 20 ~ 30 Sec so we can use it regularly. 

Oberon are support + mid healing frame, but you limit his Healing/Support capabilities with ridiculous requirement.

and please, show a symbol/timer for this augment.

Edited by Blood_Poppy

This is one of those things that would be solved if they, oh, I dunno.... talked to us in thread?

My point was exactly that engaging players in the thread is a waste of time based on the range of 'feedback' I've seen so far. 90% of it is contradicting, and engaging people directly is only an exercise in how well they can wield the English language to craft vitriol and hyperbole. If I was a programmer looking at this thread for some constructive sense of the player sentiment, the net result doesn't have any value to guide the design ideas.