Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe becoming pay to win?

Octavia was, I believe, a big mistake. Not the Warframe herself, but the fact that you have to buy many component of her main skill. Why isn't there a way to farm at least 1 instrument...? Songs are cosmetics, just to have the music we want, but when we play her we hear the song from the beginning until the end on the mission, so you can't say me that this is just a cosmetc. I've heard too many HORRIBLE musics... Unplayable.

But, except for Octavia, Warframe is not a pay-to-win. It's only Pay-To-Accelerate.
You need to reroll a Riven, I don't know, 10 or 15 times ? So, let's farm.
You want it in a faster way ? So, pay a booster, and farm x2 less.

Music packs only change the sound effect, doesn't do anything for gameplay. Resources have always been dismal for the more rare materials. Kuva can be farmed technically endlessly, if you don't mind repeating a mission over and over and over.

Kuva can't even be bought when it's needed for riven re-rolls. Nothing pay to win. You may need to learn what pay to win is before saying the things you mentioned are paid to win content.

Edited by SurrealEdge

- Was wondering the same thing, Octavia music packs dont have any effect on playing with her at all, you can do the exact same thing with the basic pack.

- Change on resource drop rate? First time i hear this,, did they really changed it, i still get all my mats without issues.

- Kuva and riven mechanics dont require platinum, so this is a no.

I would have to say that the introducion of the hema was a move poiting in that direction tho, But by no means this is pa to win regardless, the hema is an "ok weapon" like many other dusting on inventories from all players.

i remember when people ask for the mute button, i was getting host migrations the moment i activated my powers

you can do the quest before war within 

but if u need kuva for the frame, u literally have to ether do war within or buy the frame as well, after farming all of the parts

someone in my clan abused the kuva alerts we got to build octavia

It's pay-to-win-faster. 

Octavia's music pack doesn't not affect her strength. If you think you need to use her coz you want the music to sound right then maybe she's not the warframe for you. Also you can earn platinum in-game. Just sell some stuff, even sell ducat-primes. 
I have never bought platinum in this game. But I do buy Tennogen. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

i remember when people ask for the mute button, i was getting host migrations the moment i activated my powers

you can do the quest before war within 

but if u need kuva for the frame, u literally have to ether do war within or buy the frame as well, after farming all of the parts

Wait.. wait.. wait.. you need kuva to build octavia?

oh,, you do. a very minimal amount. run 4 missions and you got it. Pretty sure that's easier than trying to get vauban prime. 

Pay to win implies that a) there's actually anything solidly holding you back from getting stuff without paying, and b) that paying actually gets you directly better stuff.

Everything that has an actual mechanical effect on gameplay can be achieved without playing. In fact, there are quite a few items that you CAN'T pay for (eg phage, Synapse, Lanka), and have to make for free. The only way that paying helps for the most part is to either let you buy a weapon early, or to boost resources/XP. Both of those methods only get you to a goal faster, they aren't ever the only way to get there. The hardest paywall (read: pretty much only) in the game is probably equipment slots, but you can trade Platinum for those so really they aren't that big.

Edited by YUNoJump

5 minutes ago, InDueTime-EN- said:

It's pay-to-win-faster. 

Octavia's music pack doesn't not affect her strength. If you think you need to use her coz you want the music to sound right then maybe she's not the warframe for you. Also you can earn platinum in-game. Just sell some stuff, even sell ducat-primes. 
I have never bought platinum in this game. But I do buy Tennogen. 

Wait.. wait.. wait.. you need kuva to build octavia?

oh,, you do. a very minimal amount. run 4 missions and you got it. Pretty sure that's easier than trying to get vauban prime. 

the thing is, u cant get kuva unless u do war within, even if u do a kuva mission, it wont reward kuva

u can get all of the parts of octavia without even doing second dream... including doing the quest

so no u cant just do 4 kuva missions if you cant do kuva missions yet lol 

one of my clan members was dead set on building ti till he found out about the kuva :u

Edited by (PS4)Spider_Enigma

Tbh warframe is probably the fairest 'free to play' game out there. Sure there's an initial grind wall but having dumped money into the game I can assure you it doesn't help anything but ease the farming moderately. You still have to actually acquire resources, endo, etc to even build anything worthwhile. 

Edited by Sapphic-Sandra

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

In small amounts. She's intended to be sought after by experienced players.

There's also the fact that you need to follow the flow of progression. What we have now is pay for faster access, everything else is the same.

Pay to win is exactly as it sounds, you pay for greater advantages over everyone else. Example, you pay to have a weapon that only paying users have access to, but players that don't pay are stuck with the subpar weapons available. Whereas here, it's just a content gate. If you're not at a certain point in the game, you won't have access to it yet. Keyword being yet.

Nothing in Warframe is pay to win as all content is available to everyone. Even the premium currency, platinum, can be traded away in game and earned from doing trades. You want access to content faster? Buy platinum or trade for it. You want to access content that's locked behind the flow of progression? Follow the path set by the developers and get to that point.

Kuva is not pay to win, because it can't be purchased. It can only be farmed as a resource, can't be bought, therefore not a paid piece of content locking players out that don't want to invest money into the game.

There's no discussion here since the concept of pay to win is completely lost to the TC.

Edited by SurrealEdge

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

the thing is, u cant get kuva unless u do war within, even if u do a kuva mission, it wont reward kuva

u can get all of the parts of octavia without even doing second dream... including doing the quest

so no u cant just do 4 kuva missions if you cant do kuva missions yet lol 

one of my clan members was dead set on building ti till he found out about the kuva :u

You can't do them "yet". You CAN do them once you finish a quest that is part of the game's main story and progression. Saying that it's unfair that you don't get an item before you finish certain progression is like saying that it's unfair that you don't get an achievement for finishing a game before beating the final level.

44 minutes ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

How are you going to Lua before doing Second Dream, exactly ? You cannot be taxi'd there...

For the Kuva you just need to do The War Within, which is not something you buy for $$$ only.

That's some gating, the same kind of gating that ask you for a Saryn part (Sedna) to craft the Chroma Systems you get on Neptune>Pluto junction.

Just suck it up and farm to unlock what you need or forget about it. But that falls far away from the "Pay to Win" definition.

Edited by Chewarette