Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IS argon scope HONESTLY worth?

XenoKatsuo

I've had argon scope for a while now, primarily for my dread build. But I've really been considering selling it to get maiming strike for an atterax build;

I wouldn't mind that much losing my dread build, but I'm wondering if there are any other worthwhile builds that incorporate argon scope?

FYI I land headshots all the time, so skill isn't really a problem for me when it comes to using the mod effectively, so when making a recommendation please just assume I land my shots.

4 minutes ago, XenoKatsuo said:

I've had argon scope for a while now, primarily for my dread build. But I've really been considering selling it to get maiming strike for an atterax build;

I wouldn't mind that much losing my dread build, but I'm wondering if there are any other worthwhile builds that incorporate argon scope?

FYI I land headshots all the time, so skill isn't really a problem for me when it comes to using the mod effectively, so when making a recommendation please just assume I land my shots.

Well if you're skilled enough to land headshots consistently, then keep it. Argon scope is extremely powerful in skilled hands. It's useful on a lot of critical heavy weapons. Snipers, rifles, and alot others. Soma prime and Dec sybaris are two really good examples. It pushes them to orange crit and sometimes red crit if you're skilled. 

Really good. 

And in all honesty, maiming strike is meh. You can only effectively use it on select weapons and it requires constant spinning. That's kinda boring. Also, maiming strike is expensive, argon scope is not as much. Unless you have spare plat, selling argon scope will not garentee maiming strike 

Yes, if you had the option to buy Maiming Strike by selling Argon Scope, do it. Maiming Strike gives fast, long range weapons like whips and polearms so much damage because it's pretty much guaranteed red crits with Blood Rush and it's worth the plat if you like to use these weapons, whereas Argon Scope I think barely gets weapons like the Dread over 200% chance so they hardly ever red crit.

Overall, I think it'll depend heavily on which weapons you actually like to use. For example, if you use weapons like the Dread, Soma, etc. and your main melee weapons are Galatine, Nikana, and Broken War, then keep Argon Scope. However, if you like Orthos Prime, any of the whips, and you don't mind spinning all the time, definitely get Maiming Strike.

Edited by Xionyde134

Argon Scope is for guns and Maiming Strike is for melee, if you enjoy the endless pursuit of headshots and damage output that's properly based on your skill, then keep Argon Scope, whereas if you enjoy spamming ctrl-e a whole lot with a ranged melee weapon, then try and get Maiming Strike. Personally I hate Maiming Strike and everything it's done to the meta, but you do you. 

Thanks for the recommendations lads. I'll keep this in mind as I make my decision

11 minutes ago, Xionyde134 said:

For example, if you use weapons like the Dread, Soma, etc. and your main melee weapons are Galatine, Nikana, and Broken War, then keep Argon Scope. However, if you like Orthos Prime, any of the whips, and you don't mind spinning all the time, definitely get Maiming Strike.

and Damn you read my mind here with the weapons I use lol

Edited by XenoKatsuo

Maiming will come back.. it's not really worth getting rid of Argon for, you'll just end up wanting both anyway, or missing Argon and wondering what the fuss was all about lol. Just wait, would be my advice.. it's not worth what it sells for, it sells purely to peoples impatience lol.

I have had way more fun with maiming strike then I ever will with the overrated Argon Scope, that's for sure.

But I dont even use maiming strike in the general high range slide spam but with things like quick healing with the Hirudo.

Next to that, while Argon scope is a mod you should only put on a select few weapons, Maiming strike can be used on basically everything depending on how low you can go with range.

What Is Argon sc- oh

I honestly kinda forgot it exists, tho I'd still like to get it if the acolytes ever come back 

3 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

I have had way more fun with maiming strike then I ever will with the overrated Argon Scope, that's for sure.

The truth has been spoken (and it's kinda sad) 

I imagine the people who have farmed a few of maimings laugh right now by how much plat they're swimming in 

Considering this game has hordes of enemies coming at you at the same time, I think will get killed sooner or later if trying to aim for the head of each enemies while all others are shooting at you...

On the other hand, maiming strike... one swipe... all dead at the same time.

Argon Scope is incredibly useful for weapons that can't reach 80-100% crit chance with basic mods.  Because of how the crit multipliers work, a 100% crit chance with slightly lower base damage will outperform a 50% crit chance with higher base damage.

5 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

Argon Scope is incredibly useful for weapons that can't reach 80-100% crit chance with basic mods.  Because of how the crit multipliers work, a 100% crit chance with slightly lower base damage will outperform a 50% crit chance with higher base damage.

Those are rookie numbers....  (*cit.)

Try it on a synapse with a riven 320% crit chance on headshot kill (also bladed rounds).

Frankly i love argon scope its a mandatory mod on most of my weapons, from soma to sybaris and as said synapse but it Worth way less than maiming....

Edited by VonDodo

1 hour ago, XenoKatsuo said:

dread build

Bladed Rounds is generally better than Argon Scope for weapons that can already reach over 100% crit chance. The main damage advantage Argon provides over Bladed is increasing the number of critical headshots which have an extra x2 damage multiplier. This part becomes irrelevant if the weapon already has over 100% crit after just Point Strike and 120% crit damage is better than 135% crit chance.

Maiming Strike is leagues above Argon Scope. If you enjoy spin weapons I consider Maiming to be a must-have.

1 hour ago, Epsik-kun said:

Bladed Rounds is generally better than Argon Scope for weapons that can already reach over 100% crit chance. The main damage advantage Argon provides over Bladed is increasing the number of critical headshots which have an extra x2 damage multiplier. This part becomes irrelevant if the weapon already has over 100% crit after just Point Strike and 120% crit damage is better than 135% crit chance.

Maiming Strike is leagues above Argon Scope. If you enjoy spin weapons I consider Maiming to be a must-have.

Actually not.

Bladed round is a "win more" mod. Argon scope is the one that helps getting rid fast of powerful enemies.....And why would it be bad on weapons reaching over 100% crit chance? you get better crit every 100% (orang red, double red crits) so no again....

There is a reason why my frost (cc build with 40 strength) with synapse is often the top Damage dealer in sorties.

Just now, VonDodo said:

And why would it be bad on weapons reaching over 100% crit chance? you get better crit every 100%

The way crit damage formula works, a percentage of crit damage increase is considerably better than a similar amount of crit chance increase. Next thing, crit primaries already implement Vital Sense and Point Strike as their mandatory mods, thus we are comparing effective increases of 50% crit damage versus 47% critical chance.

Prior to reaching 100% crit damage, there's a problem of consistency with critical headshots being the thing as well as having a chance to outright not apply any of your crit damage multiplier. However, after 100% it's just a plain linear scaling with Crit Damage being the more impactful value between the two.

3 minutes ago, Epsik-kun said:

The way crit damage formula works, a percentage of crit damage increase is considerably better than a similar amount of crit chance increase. Next thing, crit primaries already implement Vital Sense and Point Strike as their mandatory mods, thus we are comparing effective increases of 50% crit damage versus 47% critical chance.

Prior to reaching 100% crit damage, there's a problem of consistency with critical headshots being the thing as well as having a chance to outright not apply any of your crit damage multiplier. However, after 100% it's just a plain linear scaling with Crit Damage being the more impactful value between the two.

and where is written i have to replace a crit damage mod for it? you can fit most damage+crit chance + crit damage + a couple of status mods in most builds.

personally I always pair my Argon Scope with Bladed rounds, because there's not much point in having all that crit chance if your multiplier is as weak as a Kubrow's fart. in situations where I can only have one I take Bladed Rounds because it requires kills to activate instead of headshots, so marksmanship isn't as much of an issue (I'm usually fine at getting headshots, but in split-second situations, you may need to fire before aiming. )

Maiming Strike is one of the most powerful mods out there right now, I don't have one personally, but I don't subscribe to the spin2win Meta, and while I like whips I use Nikanas and my Galatine Prime far more.  plus now with Melee Rivens it's possible to roll a Maiming Strike with added benefits on stronger-disposition weapons. Personally i think it depends which you want more: a powerful rifle, or a powerful Melee. if your heart is set on Maiming Strike, go for it.

2 hours ago, Epsik-kun said:

Basically, this ^

This is just my personal and sentimental opinion on Maiming Strike and its effect it had on me when I first obtained it during the first Shadow Debt event.

When my cousin (who got me into Warframe in the first place) absolutely raved about the mod during his initial Shadow Debt on PC, I knew I had to get it. He always brought up the story of how when he first played the game, farming parts for Warframes was an absolute nightmare and speedrunning was the key to it. Speed Volt, Braton, Glaive, go in and fight the Jackal, Glaive the leg, shoot Braton, repeat, done, gtfo, repeat. In some way or form, he explained to me how Maiming Strike sort of brought back that thrill of going CQC into the enemy into a slide attack and then unloading with your gun, rinse and repeat, and it's dead. And that convinced me to get the mod. And I still love it to this day.

Also, I was mostly raised and brought up by Hong Kong Martial Arts movies as a kid. Points go to you if you know this film and how it may have some relevance to Maiming Strike: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blade_(film) lol

So, yeah, if you can get Maiming Strike, get it. Argon Scope is great as well, but I only use it for Snipers and Bows. With the incorporation of Rivens, hitting Orange/Red crit territory is easy enough depending on the build and weapon disposition.