Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Murkray Guide

dmantacos

After struggling with Murkrays for quite some time, I decided to post my observations in hopes of saving others from the frustration I went through.

WHAT:

Murkrays are "Rare" rated fish that can only be caught after using special bait.

WHY:

Murkray liver is essential for crafting Operator Amps (the hand canons)

HOW: 

1. Reach the rank of "off-worler" in the Ostron line. This is the second rank and will take a total of 27k standing to achieve.

2. Buy Murkray bait. (Murkray bait can be purchased for 5k Ostron standing from Hai-Luk in Cetus.

WHERE:

1. Murkray's require bait to spawn, but they will only spawn in the "Coast and sea" fishing biomes. These biomes are south west and south east of the Cetus gate. (note that if you use Murkray bait in a different fishing biome none will spawn but your bait will still be consumed) 

Specific locations:

I generally find fishing in the south-east sea easier than along the coast to the south west.

This is a map of the south-east coast 

Spoiler

2zGBV20.jpg

The best spot I have found thus far is a small outcropping near the boundary post.

Spoiler

6JbPhdJ.jpg

Spoiler

dQH7ysM.jpg

Here is what the Murkray's look like in the water

Spoiler

lcxbv51.jpg

OTgQjZA.jpg

gS1QRcl.jpg

So far i've gotten anywhere from 0 to 5 Murkrays on a single bait at this location, the average being 2 per bait.

The island off the coast is great for catching Goopollas and Traloks, but after 5 or so baits I have been unsuccessful in getting a Murkray to spawn there

Spoiler

RfsXmAN.jpg

Here are just some photos of some large Murkrays i've been able to catch here

Spoiler

ushFjZm.jpg

9evW17P.jpg

5Unsbcc.jpg

Sf6siWt.jpg

EXTRAS AND TIPS:

1. Murkrays are not like regular fish, you have to hit them pretty spot on to catch them. Even with the teir 2 spear a tail shot will fail to catch them.

2. TAKE YOUR TIME Murkrays are very fast, If you miss your first, shot they will be exponentially harder to catch.

3. STANDING: Murkrays are very important for their liver, but they are also very lucrative.

Murkray selling prices:

Small : 500 standing

Medium: 625 standing

Large: 1000 standing

Spoiler

XPgZeNp.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck out there!

Edited by dmantacos

You don't need rank 2 on ostron...

Just buy some Basic Bait (500 rep each one), and go south-east of the PoE gate (all the way to the sea). Throw the baits there and murkray starts showin' up.

Use a lanzo spear for 1-hit, the other spear is a bunch of bs which supposedly is helpful against "fish with armor" but takes 2 hits to catch a murkray.

11 minutes ago, devildevil21 said:

You don't need rank 2 on ostron...

Just buy some Basic Bait (500 rep each one), and go south-east of the PoE gate (all the way to the sea). Throw the baits there and murkray starts showin' up.

Use a lanzo spear for 1-hit, the other spear is a bunch of bs which supposedly is helpful against "fish with armor" but takes 2 hits to catch a murkray.

You need rank 2 to buy Murkray bait which is far more efficient. It also doesn't take 2 hits with the Tulok, you just have to hit them in the head or body. Thanks for the input though, ill try it with the lanzo

25 minutes ago, --Turtle-- said:

Could someone take a zoomed-out screenshot of that location on the map ? I cant find it yet

after leaving cetus you just have to follow the energy barrier around it until you reach the coast

when you look to the east you will see the section you are looking for

15 minutes ago, Nesodos said:

after leaving cetus you just have to follow the energy barrier around it until you reach the coast

when you look to the east you will see the section you are looking for

Thank you :)

I was on the other side the whole time  *facepalm*

How do you even do the "ring trick"? Because the white splash rings are so rapidly fading in and out, combined with the fact that you can't throw the baits very far (where most of the rings seem to be), it makes it incredibly hard to predict how to throw a bait into one. Do you just have to get near or does it have to be a precise hit in the ring? Is there any way to more accurately guess where the rings will spawn? I've used almost 80 bait and caught about 5 murkray... Tried at dawn and dusk, day and night. They seem most active at dusk, but the activity period where I found them lasted maybe 2 minutes right at dusk (a single use of a bait). It's super frustrating with rates this low, especially because the murkray bait is on the more expensive end of baits. How do I catch them more consistently? I've tried every tip here it seems and used a variety of spots that people recommend. 

I'd like to add an update to this thread:

Some people achieve great success with this location, others do not. The game seems to be rather broken in that regard. Obviously, this spot was working for me at one point, but as of now I average 1 murkray every 10+ baits. I have been in the same session with friends, fishing at the same hotspots, and they will receive 5+ rays per bait, whereas I receive little to none. For those of you that caught murkrays in this location, i'm glad I could help! For those of you that haven't, were in the same boat, the game just seems to be broken as of now. Good luck all.

I kind of suspect that every time you go out into the plains there is a general... let's call it "plentifulness"... variable that is set, and if it is low then you will get very few fish no matter where you cast your spear, and if it is high then fish will spawn as fast as you can throw it. I have certainly had times where fishing on the southeast I get nothing but little goopollas and not even very many of them, and other times where I will fish in the same spot and get tons of traloks and large goopollas. If it's the latter case, then the murkray bait will usually be effective.

Definitely do not throw bait after bait after bait if you're not getting anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
В 10/16/2017 в 15:49, OceanTempest сказал:

I think the murkray bait is bugged,(and not only that bait) I used all 20 in the same place as you mentioned, and got from 1 to 0 when using ALL 20 baits not just 1... The grind is incomprehensible...

i got like 4-5 murkrays in with murkray bait in one place splashing water spots

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:35 AM, F11utt3rDsh said:

How do you even do the "ring trick"? Because the white splash rings are so rapidly fading in and out, combined with the fact that you can't throw the baits very far (where most of the rings seem to be), it makes it incredibly hard to predict how to throw a bait into one. Do you just have to get near or does it have to be a precise hit in the ring? Is there any way to more accurately guess where the rings will spawn? I've used almost 80 bait and caught about 5 murkray... Tried at dawn and dusk, day and night. They seem most active at dusk, but the activity period where I found them lasted maybe 2 minutes right at dusk (a single use of a bait). It's super frustrating with rates this low, especially because the murkray bait is on the more expensive end of baits. How do I catch them more consistently? I've tried every tip here it seems and used a variety of spots that people recommend. 

there Is not "ring trick".  you throw the bait in the general direction of the white water splashes.

I also find if your fishing at dusk/dawn you get more and its a good idea to immediately throw a Luminous Dye after the bait, makes it much easier to see the fish

Excellent guide! Thank you.

What worked well for me, catching 7 Murkrays in the first session was this:

- I went to the shores of the Sea Southwest of Cetus (at dawn, clear weather)
 - I was looking for hotspots, that is, bubbles in the water.
 - A good spot with 270 degrees water around and multiple hotspots was on a rock by a big corpse of a red-ish shark-like fish on the shore.
 - I used the murkray bait as well as the luminous dye to make the fish well visible. Throwing both of that into the hotspot.
 - I used a Lanzo spear, which caught the Murkrays with the first hit aiming for body shots.

In terms of difficulty getting the Murkrays to craft amps it was actually OK.

I think the crucial thing is that Murkrays only spawn at baited ocean hotspots. So, go forth and hit the bubbles.

Just a small tip to add on..

Use the Lanka spear on Murkrays and all the other sea fish.

Only Tralok's require Peram spear.

The rank of the spears do not indicate power like the Nostram Cutters, instead they are differentiated by efficiency on the type of fish.

Thus, rank 1 spear Lanka deals most damage on Murkray and not rank 2 or rank 3 spears.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:51 AM, dmantacos said:

Murkrays are not like regular fish, you have to hit them pretty spot on to catch them. Even with the teir 2 spear a tail shot will fail to catch them.

may i suggest to use T1 spear to catch?

On 10/16/2017 at 9:49 AM, OceanTempest said:

I think the murkray bait is bugged,(and not only that bait) I used all 20 in the same place as you mentioned, and got from 1 to 0 when using ALL 20 baits not just 1... The grind is incomprehensible...

Bait only works in the little pool/bubble things that show up in the water and they move.

14 minutes ago, PatternistSlave said:

Bait only works in the little pool/bubble things that show up in the water and they move.

I've used bait in still waters and gotten things to spawn.  Things have probably changed since Ocean made that post in October.