Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do people get so salty at leeching?

4thBro

When I farm Focus, I don't mind carrying leechers. Why would I care?

Unless the damage is split 25% four ways, at least someone is leeching at least a tiny bit. That's just how it is. So if I come in on my low level frame and my fresh level 0 weapon, why give me sh**? Just let the Saryn wipe the map and stfu. Did you want me to put forth my maximum effort so that maybe I can have 1 kill on scoreboard? Does this help your run end quicker?

Do you expect people to go to level 1 Earth missions to level their frames, or something?

What is wrong with people???

Edited by 4thBro

You do know leechers are people who purposfully do nothing to help the mission...right? There is a difference between carrying under geared/leveled players and leechers...

Also it's considered bad to sit there and let someone else do all the work. "Just let the saryn wipe the map" okay...what if there is a group of enemies infront of you shooting at you and the pod(In this case, Hydron) you're just going to let them shoot it while "Saryn wipes the map" ? No...you're expected to at least shoot at them, because yes it does make the end come quicker.

At least TRY to do something, don't just sit there like a lump.

A leecher takes up a slot and does nothing when we could instead have someone who would actually be a help to the team. 

Think about it like this. If you were an employer would you rather hire the guy who sits around doing nothing but gets paid, or the guy who tries but gets outshined? 

Edited by Miser_able

If there's a nuker on the map, then generally all is fine. But if a low mastery player brings all rank 0 stuff to Hydron, then what they are saying is this: had the team needed that help (you couldn't guarantee a nuker joined) you would have been absolutely worthless. You should be entering missions with the assumption of doing your part. An MR 6 with 3 rank 0 weps and a rank 0 frame is going to be next to useless, should the team need them. So unless you've earned the MR so you can have respectable weapons at R0, you should bring at least 1 useful thing. Period.

My colleague at work is effectively a leecher, I do the majority of the work whilst he sits around talking all day.

We both get paid the same amount. He's getting paid for the work that I do. That rustles my jimmies.

Take that same mentality and apply it to the game, you do all the killing whilst someone just sits there napping. Why are they getting rewarded?

''It's only a video game blah blah'', doesn't matter, the principle of the matter is still enough to bother people. If you're expected to put work in, you'd better put work in.

7 minutes ago, 4thBro said:

What is wrong with people???

Leechers fill slots.

Some people cannot do missions without three other people.

Of course, if you can solo the mission, then leechers make no difference.

- Higher level enemies.

- More enemy spawns

I see no issue. The leecher lets me get my stuff faster, and does not disrupt me in anyway.

Id hire the guy in the suit and tie, not the guy in the wife beater and trackshorts, so if I had the choice I would rather take people geared to focus farms then people who just tossed whatever they could find on,  harsh reality but its something you gotta deal with.

Leechers are a problem because they aren't contributing to completing the mission. More fire power is always better especially since some missions scale off the number of players. 

By purposely sitting out you leave the rest of the team to potentially fail mission because you're too lazy to actually play the game. It makes absolutely zero sense to me that someone would want to take part in a game and not actually play. If you're not interested then go do something else.

Carrying is a different story. Sometimes people come under prepared. We've all done it at some point. Or brought the wrong load out. I remember a few times there was a glitch where I would load in with no mods.

Mainly, if you want to play then just play the damn game. If you're going to sit and watch Netflix while you rely on other people to do your work then just close the game because you clearly don't want to be here. 

Yes I know a leecher is a guy who does nothing.

I am fine with this.

Why wouldn't I be? I'm not pushing new content. I'm farming something. I'm able to do it myself. If others need farming done, then I'm just being efficient by letting them use my work. Frankly, it helps the community. Sure, I could be a lil b**ch and leave at wave 5, saying, "GO LEVEL ON EARTH PLEASE." But why? They didn't hurt my gameplay. And in return, I would appreciate the same courtesy when I want my crap levels farmed up.

It also feels nice carrying people who need it. I'm doing them a favor. I'm doing something nice. And in a way, I'm paying my dues for when I'm the leecher.

I give and I take. Is that not the healthiest mentality for EVERYONE to be sharing???

Let's put it this way. On the flip side, I could jump into the game on, say... Ember. Now I'm auto-clearing the map as it spawns. This is doing two things:

1) Now you're not even really able to fight enemies. There's nothing for you to do. Now you're just bored.

2) Additionally, now I could pretend like you're leeching. Even if you're not intending to. Even if you're able & willing to contribute, it doesn't matter. Because you're not. Now you're a leech, just as much as the level 0 guy hiding in the corner. You are now both the same. And the POINT in this one, in case you're not immediately seeing it... is that that's PRECISELY why it doesn't MATTER if someone is being an intentional leech. I don't need that leech to participate just like I don't need YOU to participate. So why NOT be using that opportunity to level your low stuff, rather than come in packing your max level heat for no reason? It's a huge waste.

A game does not need four people playing at their maximum effort & gear just because some people get uptight about a guy who intentionally leeches. Imagine this game if we were expected to backtrack to lowbie missions throughout the entire duration of our MR farming.

Is that really what you want??? You gotta think far down the road before you complain about things.

8 minutes ago, 4thBro said:

Yes I know a leecher is a guy who does nothing.

I am fine with this.

Why wouldn't I be? I'm not pushing new content. I'm farming something. I'm able to do it myself. If others need farming done, then I'm just being efficient by letting them use my work. Frankly, it helps the community. Sure, I could be a lil b**ch and leave at wave 5, saying, "GO LEVEL ON EARTH PLEASE." But why? They didn't hurt my gameplay. And in return, I would appreciate the same courtesy when I want my crap levels farmed up.

It also feels nice carrying people who need it. I'm doing them a favor. I'm doing something nice. And in a way, I'm paying my dues for when I'm the leecher.

I give and I take. Is that not the healthiest mentality for EVERYONE to be sharing???

Ummm,,,no?  Maybe its fine for you but if I'm doing a focus farm I don't want to see a Limbo or vauban dropping CC like its going out of style at the enemy spawn points, so yes it does hurt your gameplay and saying otherwise is kidding yourself or you've never attended a real focus farm before.

1 minute ago, Azlen said:

Sounds like you are just trying to rationalize being a leecher. You could, instead, just not leech. *boom* mindblow

It more so sounds like you're trying to make sure you can hate me.

I like carrying. It makes me feel useful. It gives me a sense of paying my dues. And, frankly, it's the best way to Focus farm.

I have zero problems with the subject. I made this thread to try to extend this ease of mind. But it seems people don't want it. It seems people want to hate it.

Just now, 4thBro said:

~snip~

1) That's a problem in and of itself and imo shouldn't be possible.

2) You'd be an arse if you did. Whilst I compared the game to my job earlier, the game still remains a hobby. By doing this you're removing peoples ability to enjoy their hobby, and then criticising them for not being able to do anything.

You're a bad person in situation 2. Don't be that guy.

I mean OP you take a huge risk making a post like this, its basically painting a target on your back for an in game ignore, you really shouldn't leech but coming out and questioning the reasons why people get upset with you might have not been the best idea :/  ,  If I were you Id get a mod to take this thread down, but this is entirely a suggestion, you can do what you like its your thread afterall.

1 minute ago, Knight_Ex said:

Ummm,,,no?  Maybe its fine for you but if I'm doing a focus farm I don't want to see a Limbo or vauban dropping CC like its going out of style at the enemy spawn points, so yes it does hurt your gameplay and saying otherwise is kidding yourself or you've never attended a real focus farm before.

How is a person that's specifically negatively impacting your play really your example? You really went for that???

"No, you're wrong. Leechers affect your game because of this specific method in which they end up griefing you."

Yeah? That's the strategy you went with? Who were you hoping to coax onto your side of the fence with that? People already there?

Just now, Knight_Ex said:

If I were you Id get a mod to take this thread down, but this is entirely a suggestion, you can do what you like its your thread afterall.

This strikes me as almost a threat.

This thread is fine. If anyone ignores OP in game, then I doubt they would have been people worth playing with.

What if there's no nuker? What if everyone else also wanted to level their stuff? The ones you leeched off won't be the same people and they won't get the benefit of "taking turns, next time".

Personal rule of thumb is to try to stick to around 15%-40% contribution. Bring a damaging frame if you want to level your weapon and use said frame ability once in a while to keep the contribution up, conversely bring a good weapon if you want to level a frame and use it to actually gain affinity faster than you would if you just let others kill. Bringing whole undergeared loadouts aren't necessarily faster especially when people will leave as soon as possible once they saw an afk leecher.