Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon main is not amused by former haters

(PSN)XxUnholyArrowxX

I've been an Oberon main for about 3 years, months before the rework or focus, while I enjoyed his vast amount of utility with his tool-making, a lot of people HATED, yes hated Oberon, claiming that he was to frail for anything over lvl 50 or that his abilities were too weak, giving him the very overused tittle of "jack of trades master uv nun" I found it odd as I had loved the overall concept of the frame and saw that he was a more than capable frame when others at the time were really only interested in tanks or dps frames. So it does kind of make me cringe when I see a majority of the player base walking around with obbies and obbie primes post rework as if they deserve to brandish it's skin, saying things like "they finally fixed him". When I'm truth the real problem was the incompetence of the players. But I do love the rework, but not the swag%&^s that once ridiculed him that came with him. Thoughts

Good Job to DE on Oberon Rework (since Oberon got nerf initially). And no, not Everyone's Playstyle will like Oberon, I still am working on Mastering Volt.

Spoiler

Original Rant:

Eh, not sure what kind of Players you Played with, Glad DE done Well with Oberon, (DE not Fantastic, but do fix Mistake when pointed out).

I learn not too long ago (Year+) that most WarFrames won't be able to stand against Hordes of Enemies or Tougher Enemies without High Gears + Energies.

Thus when I see that Oberon Primes require several Forma and some Specific Mods. And I also learn that Oberon (without Imm) can only do so much.

Still, before anyone ask for Nerfs, chances are they never really looked into or try the Frames. 

Aaaaaand this is coming from the guy who literally contradicts himself before saying "get off of your high horse" Oberon presented more than most players could handle, more than the standard dps tank builds xD I like all Warframes and think they can be amazing in their own right lol nice try in ur attempt suit me Into the"bad guy" role though. ;) Try harder though 

9 minutes ago, (PS4)slicemanimbowill said:

Oberon presented more than most players could handle, more than the standard dps tank builds xD

The problem: He was neither a good end game tank nor DPS. If by, "more than most players could handle" you mean, not as good as the other choices. Then, you are correct. If you mean he was superior to stuff, then you probably needed to have a higher frame variety. 

I did not like Oberon before the rework, I do not like Oberon now. Before, the issue was Oberon as a whole, now its more just aesthetics. I would not go out of my way to tell someone playing Oberon they were a fool for playing it. If you want to play Oberon, go ahead.

I main healer in other games.

I tried Oberon as my first "healer frame" because his parts is what I ended up with most without needing to fight bosses.

Looking at his abilities kind of make me feels excited.

The rate at which he is capable of providing healing to the team 
is kind of too slow to handle the damage that a team would be taking to justify healing.

His healing speed and capacity can be beaten by Team Health Restores.

The thing about healing is, if your teammates is facing weaker enemies that only scratches them they wouldn't be needing healing, 
Healing is most needed when your team is sustaining heavy damage that without a healer actively healing them the team would collapse 
and fail the entire mission. (Raid, Sortie level where a healer is needed)

In this context Trinity easily beat Oberon in terms of Healing speed, 
But Trinity is a dedicated healing/ support frame that does nothing else good.

As a damage frame Oberon isn't the top par as well, since there are more dps oriented frames that could easily surpasses his damage dealing 
capabilities. His attack abilities is limited by his ability to heal, since having both features that is strong would make a frame unbalanced.

Ember, Banshee, Mesa, Excalibur... there are many more but damage wise I wouldn't be picking Oberon as my first choice if 
killing enemies fast is the objective.

Tank wise, Rhino, Nezha, Valkyr,Inaros those would be way tanky than Oberon.

Though Oberon is a good solo frame, since he did all being healing, dps and tanky to a certain degree, 
soloing without a full team is easier with Oberon than with other frames since a lot of other frames requires team synergy
to bring out their full potential.

So if he is not fitting the title of "Jack-of-all-trade" I do not know what other frames would actually fit the description.

Surely you can like a frame a lot, that is personal preference, but you have to face hard facts that all equipment have their limitations

and warframes also has their own limitations. 

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

1 hour ago, (PS4)slicemanimbowill said:

Aaaaaand this is coming from the guy who literally contradicts himself before saying "get off of your high horse" Oberon presented more than most players could handle, more than the standard dps tank builds xD I like all Warframes and think they can be amazing in their own right lol nice try in ur attempt suit me Into the"bad guy" role though. ;) Try harder though 

So what was it that he "presented"?

I don't need to try at all to "suit" you into anything. You're doing a nice job on it yourself.

11 hours ago, (PS4)slicemanimbowill said:

I've been an Oberon main for about 3 years, months before the rework or focus, while I enjoyed his vast amount of utility with his tool-making, a lot of people HATED, yes hated Oberon, claiming that he was to frail for anything over lvl 50 or that his abilities were too weak, giving him the very overused tittle of "jack of trades master uv nun" I found it odd as I had loved the overall concept of the frame and saw that he was a more than capable frame when others at the time were really only interested in tanks or dps frames. So it does kind of make me cringe when I see a majority of the player base walking around with obbies and obbie primes post rework as if they deserve to brandish it's skin, saying things like "they finally fixed him". When I'm truth the real problem was the incompetence of the players. But I do love the rework, but not the swag%&^s that once ridiculed him that came with him. Thoughts

I agree with MrForz, you have some issues. You seem like a teenager with "I did it before it was cool" attitude, which is actually cringy, I see no cringe on people using a Warframe that used to be mediocre now that it is actually useful, his armor reductions allow me to play solo or with low numbers the highest level bounties, before those changes, he would have just got erased in matter of minutes by those level 60 mobs with armor equivalent to level 140.

Sorry, but he WAS mediocre and bad. You ain't "truth" (maybe you meant "aware"?) to anything, You are just being 100% emotional and (SURPRISE!) cringy about it. Now he gets work done and more people use it. Again, just another case of "I'm special and you're not" syndrome. You will laugh about your post in a few years when you get older.

Edited by -CM-Machete

Oberon is one of the most powerful frames in the game right now. The mix of healing, armor boost and radiation proc allows him to basically die only at levels where you start to get one shot. At those levels oberon should not be build for tank but for range keeping everybody with radiation proc and using his healing as a back up. 

Let's go over Oberon before.

His first ability was actually really good (it's better now though) able to spread radiation procs quite well and a small amount of cc.

His second ability was S#&$. Pure S#&$. The carpet was far too small (even when modded for range), the duration was to short to spam around the room (and it would cost way to much energy for a frame that at the time has trouble using rage effectively), and didn't really fit in his kit.

His third ability was the worst of the bunch. It would stop healing people when they reached full health (making the augment less than useless since you couldn't reaction heal either), it took forever to reach people (you all remember that little orb that can't catch up to anyone that was parkouring), if you wanted the heal to stay on them longer you had to build negative duration to keep the heal lower but if you built negative duration every other ability suffered so you had to decide whether to build a heal Oberon with negative duration or a still subpar frame with positive.

His last ability provides mediocre cc (if you wanted to use him for cc just grab Vauban or Rhino) that was not worth a hundred energy.

So please tell me why it's bad that I like Oberon more after his rekit then the broken mess we had before?

Edited by (PS4)Chris_Robet

No self respecting Oberon main would imply that Oberon was then, or is now, anything more than a jack of all trades and master of none. That's the entire point of his kit. It has a little bit of everything-- area denial, cc, damage, and healing.

Yes, I'm just as annoyed with all of the people who vehemently hated his kit before and suddenly love him now even though all he got was a range increase on his 2 and a constant heal effect on his 3 (and scaling damage on Smite but it's almost the same, functionally). I get annoyed with that on every new Prime release/frame rebalance, though, because I get annoyed with bandwagons on principle.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

His last ability provides mediocre cc (if you wanted to use him for cc just grab Vauban or Rhino) that was not worth a hundred energy.

If you're not including the AoE radiation procs that nullifiers can't dispel in that CC then you're underselling the ability. Reckoning was, and still is, meant to give you a bit of breathing room by giving you a short immediate opening and a soft control effect by causing every enemy hit to become a potential target for all of the other enemies. It was fine then and it's fine now.

It was the same with Ember in a way. Before they turned WoF into a toggle, people were insistent that she was the WORSE frame in the game. But before the rework a good ember player was able to spam WoF all the time, so it pretty much had the same effect- biggest difference was that you needed to hit 4 when there was a group of enemies. 

They turn her 4 into easy mode and all of a sudden Ember is a great frame for many people, that needs to be nerfed. 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb (PS4)Chris_Robet:

Let's go over Oberon before.

His first ability was actually really good (it's better now though) able to spread radiation procs quite well and a small amount of cc.

It didn't even do that. It allways did the same thing it does now....radiate one enemy and spread puncture to the others. It was still Cc in a way since they've been tending to attack the radiated enemy same way they do now but definite Cc it hardly was.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Zephyr main is depressed by lack of changes and would genuinely welcome seeing players come to the frame after a rework saying 'they finally fixed her', because it would mean that they actually had fixed her at that point.

Oberon was an okay frame. He just didn't do what he could do very well, and many other frames did at least two, if not three of the things he did better. Now that he's been buffed to do the things that the abilities should have done all along of course you're getting the influx of people.

Just because you were the type of person to love a frame before the rework and played them anyway despite their flaws, does not give you the position to judge others for playing that frame now.

Be glad that players are saying 'he's good now' and stop trying to spread crap because they also say 'because he was so bad before'. Their opinion is as valid as yours.

Opinions only gain weight because of reasons, not because of the amount of time you've held them, the same way that a brick doesn't get any heavier while you hold it, your arms just get tired.

On 12/25/2017 at 11:44 PM, (PS4)slicemanimbowill said:

The only thing I missed about old Oberon is the global Heals. Those were the days.

22 hours ago, Thaylien said:

they also say 'because he was so bad before'. Their opinion is as valid as yours.

Opinions only gain weight because of reasons, not because of the amount of time you've held them, the same way that a brick doesn't get any heavier while you hold it, your arms just get tired.

I don't find this is true sometimes. The forum is full of posters that just repeat an echo chamber regardless of if it's accurate or not. 

Sometimes all people need to do is actually try to play a frame/mod/weapon before deeming it useless. 

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I don't find this is true sometimes. The forum is full of posters that just repeat an echo chamber regardless of if it's accurate or not. 

Sometimes all people need to do is actually try to play a frame/mod/weapon before deeming it useless. 

That's absolutely true, and that's what we call not having a reason to back up your opinions.

Saying 'Oberon was good before the change' is an opinion. Same as saying 'Oberon was bad'. The value comes from the Why. Why was he good? Why was he bad? Does the good outweigh the bad? Or is it the other way around? Would players that did try him and did like his old skill set also admit there were glaring weaknesses in that skill set? Would players that did try him and didn't like him say that there were things he did better than other frames or that his combination couldn't be done by other frames?

All opinions have the same weight unless you can give reasons for it to have more. And there are good reasons and bad reasons, which can be discussed and debated like rational people.

Until you have a reason for your opinion, that's all it is, and that's all the value it ever has.

19 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

That's absolutely true, and that's what we call not having a reason to back up your opinions.

Saying 'Oberon was good before the change' is an opinion. Same as saying 'Oberon was bad'. The value comes from the Why. Why was he good? Why was he bad? Does the good outweigh the bad? Or is it the other way around? Would players that did try him and did like his old skill set also admit there were glaring weaknesses in that skill set? Would players that did try him and didn't like him say that there were things he did better than other frames or that his combination couldn't be done by other frames?

All opinions have the same weight unless you can give reasons for it to have more. And there are good reasons and bad reasons, which can be discussed and debated like rational people.

Until you have a reason for your opinion, that's all it is, and that's all the value it ever has.

good is subjective...i usually like to say viable. Oberon was more than viable for all content. Meaning, he can be used effectively. I was able to use him effectively. A frame can have flaws, but still be viable. Some tend to exaggerate the flaws, others can downplay them. For the most part, while a frame may not be perfect, they are all viable and a dedicated user willing to learn how to use a frame can be successful. I dont think DE ever released a useless frame. There are just frames that may lack polish, but most all frames can do extremely well in all content.

Edited by Hypernaut1

52 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I was able to use him effectively.

And this is where we come to an interesting point in any discussion about frames. Or weapons, for that matter.

People seem to believe that in Warframe it's 90% about the gear and 10% knowing what to do with it, since all the power creep and modding options and Focus and the reorganisation of the star chart and the change for Relics instead of Keys and the death of the 4 hour T4 Survival teams... When in reality it's always been 30% the gear and 70% knowing what to do with it.

A lovely little example I like to keep around:

Spoiler

84BEA67DF00AF2E876310C277EC4439C9DB267F6

This lovely little screenshot is of Tier 2 Sortie Defense (the operative defense, not pod defense) where I took Zephyr for the mobile bullet-shield on the Operative. The condition was 'bow only', so I thought I'd be funny and take my multi-forma'd Mk1-Paris.

Now as you can see, the Mk-1 Paris did not lead me to top scoring in anything except Headshot Kills and because I was standing around the Operative the entire time I actually took a lot of damage due to Melee enemies. But.

It helps if you put into context that the person known as Shift-frame over there that top-damaged and top-killed was a Nova player. A frame known for doing massive ability damage. And me as a Zephyr with the most unreliable damage abilities in game, to the point where I didn't bother using them.

My target acquisition and knowledge of the game allowed me to kill almost as many enemies and score within 2% of his damage, purely with the bow and a bit of Sentinel damage on the side.

Basically this is my little piece of proof that it's not the gear, it's the player.

My point in all this is that I made Oberon work, just like you, that I make Zephyr work, that I make Mk-1 weapons able to take on Sorties and Kuva Floods, not because the kit is the best out there, but because I have that ability.

Now this is not a bad thing. This fact that it's the player that makes the gear good is a wonderful and balanced part of the game. And hear me loud and clear when I say that no frame should be good if the player is terrible. Bad players should be punished by game play and be unable to progress until they learn how to be better players (or they leave, but that's their deal, not mine).

But. If this is the argument you would use to say that Oberon was viable before the change, then it's a bit of a flawed argument. Wouldn't you say?

Because if the only way that a frame or weapon is good is if it's in the hands of a good player, and that anyone less than a good player will struggle and fail to use the frame correctly because of the flaws that the frame has... then that's a solid argument that the frame needs improvement. To me, at least.

I am 100% for all the changes to Oberon, not because they just 'fixed' him, but because they made him better at being Oberon. He heals better, he damages better, he debuffs and buffs better, he CC's better, and all his abilities mesh so that when he sets up combo functions, they actually function. Oberon is more Oberon with the changes, and if that brings in all the ridiculous fans that say 'Oh, they fixed him, I can enjoy him at last' then that's okay too.

Like I said, I'm a Zephyr player, I've been waiting on this kind of update to my frame since... well pretty much the entirety of the last four years. So I look on over at Oberon players and think 'Wow... I'd kill to have problems like that...' XD

On 12/27/2017 at 5:12 AM, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

It didn't even do that. It allways did the same thing it does now....radiate one enemy and spread puncture to the others

It has literally always had a chance to proc radiation on the wisps along with the guaranteed puncture.

On 12/25/2017 at 11:44 PM, (PS4)slicemanimbowill said:

"as if they deserve to brandish it's skin..."

I wonder how many people you'd execute if you were made emperor of the universe. :P