Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This game needs an auction house...

(PSN)patKaetzchen

So, after years of playing warframe, I finaly got into trading... and I have to say, its ridicolous how swingy prices for basicly everythinge are. Also, as someone not deep in the trading, its really hard to find good prices - you feel yourself ripped off so often, or get the feeling you rip someone else off equally often.

What warframe needs is, like other mmo's, a auction house, where tenno can just put items up and people will be bidding on those, with the item going to the highest bidder... this would also help to deinflate those ridicolous riven prices.

I play World of Warcraft and also played D3 when the auction house was on. It worked on warcraft. Diablo 3 failed and was eventually taken out cause it almost brought down the game with login numbers plummeting from players protesting against the auction house.

I for one will be against it. Imagine a impulse buyer seeing the item that they need/want in the auction house, they will be buying their plats with $ right there and then to buy that item. Players who buys the game micro transactions, should not have that kind of pressure on them. I understand limited time offer like prime access, but those type of offers last more than a month. Auction house on the other hand, last no longer than 48 hours, or less.

As soon as $ gets involved in online auction house, it will get messy. It will need to be moderated by staff members everyday, if not, 24 hours. DE is already having problems with people cancelling their credit cards after they traded with players. Imagine the same people buying 20+ items and then cancelling their credit card transaction.

Edit: Use the Warframe Market. I've gotten cheap items from buying their parts individually for less than 50 plats to make the set, when they usually go over 150 plats with whole set. Be a smart buyer :)

Edited by NZ_CodeBlue

Some form of asynchronous trading is definitely needed, yes. But I will never support a system that accepts only platinum transactions, and vehemently oppose any that will sort by "price".

A trading post where you can post an item (yes, just one, so as to not render in-person trades completely obsolete) with a short blurb about what you want in return (just in case someone wants to trade item-for-item) then pick which offer to accept, is my dream. All manual so you don't need to worry about bots "buying" all of something to drive up the price.

3 hours ago, Kintair said:

Some form of asynchronous trading is definitely needed, yes. But I will never support a system that accepts only platinum transactions, and vehemently oppose any that will sort by "price".

A trading post where you can post an item (yes, just one, so as to not render in-person trades completely obsolete) with a short blurb about what you want in return (just in case someone wants to trade item-for-item) then pick which offer to accept, is my dream. All manual so you don't need to worry about bots "buying" all of something to drive up the price.

An Item for Item barter post is not a bad idea at all. Something persistent maybe in Maroo's Bazaar, like a Barter console? You can put up the request for bartering in the Barter post and log off even. Items delivered to inboxes. No plat, no credits, just items for items plus a trading tax. And maybe restrict barters for materials only. No mods, bps, arcanes - those use the traditional market and trading systems. But perhaps allow for Forma/Potatoes?

Maybe also something for Clan to Clan bartering for dojo materials? Need that special yellow pigment? Put up a barter in the post. Maybe another clan is willing to trade dojo materials with you. 

Edited by (PS4)JayCeeV3

I agree some way of facilitating trade matching would be great. But an auction house, as mentioned already, is not the way to go. The glaring flaw with auction houses in games like WF is that sellers will severely outmatch buyers. It won't be long before prices either go through the floor, or platinum enters a cycle of hyperinflation. The economy will suffer.

A site like warframe.market is great already. Not much more is needed.

People are generally (and blissfully) unaware how profoundly efficient AH affects the game. Easy and absolute selling system would wreck this game economy. Trading is made difficult as deliberate choice by DE. This is on longterm smart move, for developers and players alike. That is why blizzard turned off the beautiful AH they had for diablo 3. In short - no, absolutely not. 

I would love the auction house but guess I can see where ppl comming from. I wouldnt mind selling my stuff cheaper tho just to avoid the hours of spamming as I refuse to link my account to another site so they get access to my game account. Maybe if the site belong to DE but its not.

I only use the market few times If something I really need to buy or if I find something worth while the hours of spam (nothing less then 100 plat worth). The rest normaly go to ducats.

20 hours ago, Nakrast said:

No. Auction houses are the reason games die.
KEEP IT OUT OF WF.

In what reality does that even approach being logical or reasonable?  WoW had an AH since its creation, and I don't know if you know this, but it peaked at 13 million active subs.  Clearly the AH killed it, right?

Here's the dilemma: The people who want an auction house are often different from the people who would use it the most. The people who would use the auction house the most, the people trading, already prefer the existing system because it makes prices more fluid. When an auction house is instituted, or any formal trading system, price ranges will immediately tighten and we will see a massive short-sell of high value parts, mods, etc. Considering the loose and largely anarchic economic model that exists within Warframe it would create temporary instability and the abstracted value of plat will fluctuate wildly before stabilizing and becoming more rigid.

The people who really lose in the current model, as OP suggests, are new players who are not acclimated to this trade environment and/or do not know the tools to use it properly. I empathize with this, but to be perfectly honest if you're spending large amounts of plat buying things from other players early on you're playing a little too fast and loose with your money in the first place. When one enters Warframe's economy one is competing with a lot of people who have accumulated a lot of plat, people who sometimes buy large amounts of plat with -75% off coupons, and no small amount of malicious shysters.

As it stands, I think inertia will kill any thoughts of a Warframe Auction House interface. There's too many people that like the system that already exists and the only acceptable solutions to them would be solutions that are practically identical to Warframe.Market.

a market system similar to star trek online would be better, it very simple to use, no need to interact with other players and you don't need to use an external website to use it, just put your item up along with your price and wait and see if it sells, simple and effective.

warframe's trade chat system is an archaic mess and no none should have to use and external website as an alternative.

2 hours ago, (PS4)shadowwraith_666 said:

a market system similar to star trek online would be better, it very simple to use, no need to interact with other players and you don't need to use an external website to use it, just put your item up along with your price and wait and see if it sells, simple and effective.

warframe's trade chat system is an archaic mess and no none should have to use and external website as an alternative.

I'd rather have EVE's Market.  EVE's market is the best way to do a market.  Probably because the whole game is about economics.

I'm not appreciating the fact that barely anybody is going into elaborating in detail on why an auction house is detrimental to warframe as there are many other MMO's such as WoW that had success with it. Convince the readers on why they are bad like how this gentleman has presented.

13 hours ago, Mints said:

Here's the dilemma: The people who want an auction house are often different from the people who would use it the most. The people who would use the auction house the most, the people trading, already prefer the existing system because it makes prices more fluid. When an auction house is instituted, or any formal trading system, price ranges will immediately tighten and we will see a massive short-sell of high value parts, mods, etc. Considering the loose and largely anarchic economic model that exists within Warframe it would create temporary instability and the abstracted value of plat will fluctuate wildly before stabilizing and becoming more rigid.

The people who really lose in the current model, as OP suggests, are new players who are not acclimated to this trade environment and/or do not know the tools to use it properly. I empathize with this, but to be perfectly honest if you're spending large amounts of plat buying things from other players early on you're playing a little too fast and loose with your money in the first place. When one enters Warframe's economy one is competing with a lot of people who have accumulated a lot of plat, people who sometimes buy large amounts of plat with -75% off coupons, and no small amount of malicious shysters.

As it stands, I think inertia will kill any thoughts of a Warframe Auction House interface. There's too many people that like the system that already exists and the only acceptable solutions to them would be solutions that are practically identical to Warframe.Market.

Edited by Im_a_Turtle