The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does the game need a cover system?

Tellakey

One of the problems I see popping up in high-level gameplay is the inability to steer clear of enemy bullets. Even when constantly dodging around nonstop you'll be hit by a stray and quickly lose HP. That, in my opinion, is why Rhino's Iron Skin is so popular. It simply bypasses the issue. Another upcoming partial remedy is shield-gating, which if not completely solve the issue, will at least tone it down.

What do you think about a classic cover system? Or maybe a different answer to the issue?

No no no no no, never ever implement a cover system to Warframe. It'd just slow down the game. 

There are enough corners and pillars to hide behind if u want to lay low, but u can honestly dodge most stuff with parkour. 

Please no cover. I like killing hordes in my horde shooter. Cover system will slow down gameplay. Main reason I dislike maps like Earth defense and similar that has complicated AI routing. It takes forever to complete waves and dissatisfying halt to killing when you need to search for the mobs. 

Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName

The game already has a natural cover system. Notice all the waist-high guard rails on corpus, grineer and orokin tile sets? Go up to one and crouch. 

If you're talking about standing cover, you can press H to switch your camera to left/right, and this of course can be rebinded.

Edited by Legion-Shields

People... just because they would add a stick cover system doesn't mean you have to use it.

Yes, a cover system would come in handy when the enemies are ridiculously high level and one bullet that randomly hits you kills you.

Once again: Just because its there DOESNT MEAN you would have to use it, its just another option.

24 minutes ago, NPC said:

No no no no no, never ever implement a cover system to Warframe. It'd just slow down the game. 

There are enough corners and pillars to hide behind if u want to lay low, but u can honestly dodge most stuff with parkour. 

The game doesn't offer a way to fluidly shoot around those corners without getting instantly shot, there's nothing wrong with adding something like that.

I could imagine something fluid and lighweight, like running against a wall would make you lean against it and if your standing close to a corner aiming past it would make you lean out of cover. I think Crysis 2 had something like this and it felt pretty good.

that would be a nice touch and allow you to quickly enter and leave cover without pressing a dedicated button.

Also cover can fit into a fast paced game. Vanquish has a cover system and that game is still fast as hell.

If you can crouch, that's pretty much already the best cover system. Dedicated cover system often becomes annoyances because of their forced "stickiness". I can already imagine a scenario where a bombard spawn in a room behind me, i want to move, but the cover system make me stick to the wall and i ended up eating rockets when i can freely bullet jump away in normal warframe scenario.

People saying you don't have to use it, it's just another option: hell no.

Every cover system in every game ranges from slightly cumbersome to incredibly slow. There is not a single one you could feasibly implement that wouldn't be mind-numbingly annoying. I don't think I need to explain why a context action is a horrible idea. And even if it was something fluid where moving to a wall makes it happen automatically; it still in practice is awkward and not fit for Warframe. 

The animations on those systems are poor at best and downright annoying at worst. They almost always look bad, they almost always FEEL bad (except in games built for them as a core feature), and they just aren't needed here. 

If you need cover, stand behind a wall. It's much easier than you think. You just might need a little practice. :clem:

And if you need even more cover, we've got abilities for that.

39 minutes ago, puciate said:

This is a fast paced ninja action shoter game. the cover system wouldn't really work here... shield gate and armor scalling is what community has always been asking for

Because Ninjas were known to run through Japan guns blazing taking out hordes of sold...oh wait.

1 minute ago, Azlen said:

People saying you don't have to use it, it's just another option: hell no.

Every cover system in every game ranges from slightly cumbersome to incredibly slow. There is not a single one you could feasibly implement that wouldn't be mind-numbingly annoying. I don't think I need to explain why a context action is a horrible idea. And even if it was something fluid where moving to a wall makes it happen automatically; it still in practice is awkward and not fit for Warframe. 

The animations on those systems are poor at best and downright annoying at worst. They almost always look bad, they almost always FEEL bad (except in games built for them as a core feature), and they just aren't needed here. 

If you need cover, stand behind a wall. It's much easier than you think. You just might need a little practice. :clem:

And if you need even more cover, we've got abilities for that.

Played Division PvP for 2 years and 2000+ hours. Say what you want about The Division, but its cover system was stupidly fluid to get in and out of and very rarely did you end up in cover when you didn't want to be. So, in short your wrong, cover systems can be done and moving in and out of cover could be done smoothly here. The biggest problem isn't that it wouldn't work, the problem is it wouldn't be useful until the enemies actually do enough damage to make it useful.

31 minutes ago, Sader said:

Because Ninjas were known to run through Japan guns blazing taking out hordes of sold...oh wait.

YES!

also, we're in space and our space-mom tells us it's okay...

Edited by puciate