Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kick/Unreward AFK Players

(PSN)chris1pat8twins

Before I start:

1) No grammar police. That is a sign of no facts or evidence. Just pure insults.

2) I’m pretty sure this was discussed before but I’m NOT gonna search for this discussion.

3) Only use facts to back up any and all disagreements or else your “opinion” doesn’t matter. Due to some comments let me try to make it clearer. Your INSULTS have no meaning. There is a difference between disagreeing and insulting and one of the main differences is that disagreeing requires facts. Such as “this idea wouldn’t work because...” vs an insult such as “this idea sucks”. No reasons or why. If this offends you then I don’t know what else to say but I’m done apologizing to people who only insult me then get upset cause their insults have no effect.

4) Do not use the solo player excuse. This is a MULTIPLAYER game and sometimes having more than one player is definitely needed. Like the Eidolon capture for example. Players should not have to be forced to play solo because of the chance an AFK may join. 

Now lets begin. I’ve encountered many AFK players and it is starting to get out of hand. The more players there are, the more enemies I or we face. The worst part is rewarding those players for OUR hard work and affinity.

I believe there needs to be some sort of AFK timer that starts after every 30 seconds and creates like a field or zone kind of like the yellow or red for stages in a bounty or the new green for extraction. Maybe this could be blue? Maybe this field shows up to warn the players or maybe it doesn’t so players will have to learn to play. Depending on where they are AFK determines how it works. If it is mobile defense or defense then they will have a field that basically allows AFK surrounding them but no rewards if the player does nothing. Outside of it will result in a timer. If a player is AFK for no more than 2 minutes then they should be kicked out for inactivity. Even if players like banshee just use sound quake the entire time but doesn’t stop after 30 or so seconds then they gain no rewards, no XP, no affinity, nada. Only exception is in mobile defense with those kind of abilities, since banshee is usually a strategy to keep the enemies back. 

The trickier part would be to separate every area of every map into pieces that if a player sits in the same room or enemy spawn point for too long then it will count as AFK and they will be kicked. I did a defense once and a Loki did nothing but hid in one of the rooms where no enemy would target them nor spawn in the room. So I used my disarming Loki to switch teleport him in the middle of the enemies which he clearly didn’t like as he left the game. So spawn rooms should have an AFK zone around them that only appears if you are sitting close enough where enemies don’t spawn. 

Now some missions like survival or extraction are different and I think that enemies should spawn either where the target/s is or where most of the players are. So if a player is hiding, let’s say, in the spawn or extraction and not killing at least 1 enemy every 10-30 seconds then the timer will start. 

Basically:

30 seconds(most) = AFK timer

1 minute = AFK will result to no rewards. 

2 minutes = AFK will result in being kicked. 

The zone or field I mentioned is so they can’t be slick and move just a few inches or feet. Another tricky part would be how often they enter into this AFK zone. If they enter into an AFK zone multiple times then there will be no rewards nor progress. So the whole mission would have been a waste and they will have to redo it but that is the consequences of doing nothing. “Those who do not work, don’t get to eat Cetus fish”(Hai-Luk). 

For missions like survival or extraction they would have to kill at least one enemy per 10-30 seconds and enemies should spawn where most players or targets are so there would be no excuse. “No enemy spawned near me”. As long as they are moving around with other players the AFK zones should not appear even if they don’t get a kills. 

For defense the enemy spawn rooms should be off limits. If you stay in them they will create a AFK zone. If you do nothing while standing near the defense then you get no rewards at all nor any progress. 

Mobile defense is like the survival but the consoles are basically non-AFK zones that will allow players to not have to move much but like the defense if they do nothing then no rewards or progress at the end. 

Spys and rescues are definitely exceptions since not all players are good at hacking consoles however they still have to move around and at least kill some enemies while they wait for the professionals to hack. Otherwise they will be kicked out for AFK. 

Assassinations should have a 30(no more) second timer where players go to fight the boss and those who haven’t arrived are teleported to them, similar to extraction. Cause I can’t tell you how many times an AFK made me and other players wait 10 minutes to fight the bosses. 

If the mission is completed and extraction is available then standing on the extraction counts as a non-AFK and if at least 1 player gets to the extraction then they will all extract. This whole 2-players-need-to-be-at-the-extraction-to-leave is stupid cause sometimes 2 players like to lollygag. 

For endless missions like survival the player or players that get to extraction are the ones that leave while the others are left behind. So that a player doesn’t have to wait till 80 minutes for the others to leave while those who want to keep going will get to keep going.

If players stay dead for too long then it is AFK and would be kicked. If they respond all 4 times and die again then they get no progress. Which means they better be careful about rushing to revive themselves. And they might wanna get better at the game and not force other players to carry them.

Maybe create a rank pairing system 0-9, 10-19, 20-25(currently) so new players won’t be paired up with veteran players. So the debate about veterans “taking all the kills” vs new players “failing the missions” won’t happen. At least not as much. New players are usually the ones with the issue about ember “taking all the kills” while expert/veteran/experienced players are usually the ones who have issues with new players causing them to fail missions like the sortie.

Last the doors that require 2 players to open should have a 1 player open if the player clicks on the door a certain number of times. Cause there are cases where another player will refuse to help open the door. I’ve had to abort many missions because of that. So if I press the button like 30 times then it should open. Period. 

Sorry for some of the warframe puns. Kind of can’t help myself with that. I’m sure there will be loop holes that some nerds will exploit but at least this way being AFK won’t be easy for them. The PoE has helped with some of these ideas especially the extraction part. Let me know if I possibly missed anything cause this was a lot. I know if DE were to decide to take this idea into consideration it will obviously take some time to implement. 

Again if you disagree then EXPLAIN YOURSELF so that I can fix it. Otherwise your opinion has no meaning and you’re just proving to “veteran” players and DE that you’re an AFK. 

One more time. I don’t have a problem with disagreements so stop misusing words. I have a problem with people just commenting insults with no reason. A disagreement at least has a reason and not someone’s personal feelings. Some of you have actually discussed why y’all disagreed even though y’all also criticized my post because of yalls own personal feelings. Some are even resorting to foul language. It’s nice to have a little support. Just sad everybody keeps commenting about me asking to basically keep an open mind and discuss reasons for why y’all would disagree. Instead y’all just prove my point as to why I typed the list in the first place. How about focusing on the point of the post instead of name calling and judgement and actually discuss why this should or should not be done. From now on anymore comments ignoring the point of the post and going straight to insults about who I am is gonna be ignored. Have a good day.

Thanks.

Edited by (PS4)chris1pat8twins
Possible misunderstandings

8 minutes ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Otherwise your opinion has no meaning and you’re just proving to “veteran” players and DE that you’re an AFK. 

You shouldn't write such a topic while being so full of rage....

7 minutes ago, Kyoresh said:

You shouldn't write such a topic while being so full of rage....

Not full of rage at all. I’m actually as calm as calm can be. I’m just stating a fact that your opinion has no meaning if it isn’t backed by facts. Just like your comment for example completely ignores the point of the post and goes straight to your opinion about my mindset. Bet you didn’t even really read the post. And telling me otherwise won’t persuade me. You only just proved one of my points. 

You know, i tend to enjoy open discussions.

But if you start the topic with:

21 minutes ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Before I start:

1) No grammar police. That is a sign of no facts or evidence. Just pure insults.

2) I’m pretty sure this was discussed before but I’m NOT gonna search for this discussion.

3) Only use facts to back up any and all disagreements or else your “opinion” doesn’t matter.

Then i'm sorry, you just sound so cocky, that it annoys me.

PS: Afk players don't get rewarded already, even though it's easy to bypass.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Not full of rage at all. I’m actually as calm as calm can be. I’m just stating a fact that your opinion has no meaning if it isn’t backed by facts. Just like your comment for example completely ignores the point of the post and goes straight to your opinion about my mindset. Bet you didn’t even really read the post. And telling me otherwise won’t persuade me. You only just proved one of my points. 

People are free to share their opinion, it's called the internet forums.

OP: I believe matchmaking is an issue and should be changes, but AFK players is just the surface of public matchmaking. If you are AFK, you should be kicked after a period of time if on public, but not invite only. Coordinated groups have people AFK sometimes if things come up. I believe that DE should take a deep look at matchmaking as a whole and look into Leeching, AFK, and general matchmaking issues.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

38 minutes ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

3) Only use facts to back up any and all disagreements or else your “opinion” doesn’t matter.

Funny how you type this out and then proceed to deliver several paragraphs containing nothing but opinions on how you think the game should be...

As for the post itself... there already is an AFK punishment system in place, one that has a timer that counts down from how long the player's been standing still (idling), and how long the player has not killed an enemy. It's not perfect, but what you're proposing is fairly ridiculous because it's mostly the same thing but more complicated and unreasonably harsher by several magnitudes.
Constantly spawning AFK zones? there's punishing idling and then there's forcing the player to jump around the map under fear of getting penalized. Not to mention it's needlessly punishing anyone who decides to take a defensive position on any map for whatever reason. 
Not killing any enemies for 10-30 seconds? seriously? some people like to, you know, explore maps, find hidden rooms (they're there for a reason), do obstacle courses in void tilesets, collect resources... not everyone's a rusher that just blazes through enemies and runs straight to extraction, mate.

If all you want is just rush missions and can't stand other players making you wait... don't play on pug, get a group of rushers and do it that way or... wait for it... play SOLO. Yeah this is a multiplayer game, but honestly if you are so picky about who you get in your group then friends-only is the only way I see for you to go. And if you can't be bothered with that then single player's the answer, instead of asking for stupidly restrictive rules and harsh punishments that will affect not only AFK-ers but normal players too.

PS: Also... "Otherwise your opinion has no meaning and you’re just proving to “veteran” players and DE that you’re an AFK. " ... the hell kind of reasoning is that, dude?

Edited by Grander.Alderman
Post Scriptum

There are many other players who would like to have some sort of kick/ban function when hosting a "Public" game, but the only reasoning for not having one is that there would be players who would misuse it.

[ Personally, I would like to have a in-game function to become hostile to a player in-game who is AFK or not contributing to the success of the mission objective.]

Maybe if they AFK for too long, their frame turns into a specter that your team can press x to follow and fight or stay behind somewhere. That AFK player won't receive Affinity or rewards and gets thrown into a spectator mode until he/she decides to rejoin the fight (for a penalty of some kind?).

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear enough. I’m saying if they sit still. Like they basically put the controller down to go smoke or something. Standing still creates the zone in certain missions that requires you to not so much as rush but to progress forward. Like exterminate. Since survival requires surviving I can see why they may find a camping spot but that camping spot would also require killing the enemies. Do I need to post videos of people sitting around for 5-10 minutes to show y’all what I mean? The key words is SITTING STILL. You need to actually move a little or kill something to not be considered inactive and I’ve given a few examples to why I believe this deserves AFK kick so I don’t know what y’all been reading but clearly as some of you said, y’all didnt read. 

Edited by (PS4)chris1pat8twins

Please believe that people who are asking you to take it easy are just trying to help. The wording of the initial post is a little strong and can be misconstrued as not open to discussion. Discussion of ideas is the point of this board, and unfriendly/aggressive responses from the author to the posters, or posters to the author, will only elicit further anger, and will likely result in the topic dying off to angry bickering, the idea left undiscussed and tossed in the wastebin.

2 hours ago, xV3NOMx said:

There are many other players who would like to have some sort of kick/ban function when hosting a "Public" game, but the only reasoning for not having one is that there would be players who would misuse it.

[ Personally, I would like to have a in-game function to become hostile to a player in-game who is AFK or not contributing to the success of the mission objective.]

What I meant by AFK was the player sitting still like they just put the controller down. 1-2 minutes is too long to come back and most players who are AFK take 5-10 minutes. 30 seconds is all it should take to get a drink or something otherwise you shouldn’t hop into a game knowing you’re gonna be AFK. I had one dude stand at the PoE door the entire bounty. Not moving even once. For some missions there will obviously be exceptions. 

4 minutes ago, Rainbow_Waffle said:

Please believe that people who are asking you to take it easy are just trying to help. The wording of the initial post is a little strong and can be misconstrued as not open to discussion. Discussion of ideas is the point of this board, and unfriendly/aggressive responses from the author to the posters, or posters to the author, will only elicit further anger, and will likely result in the topic dying off to angry bickering, the idea left undiscussed and tossed in the wastebin.

Sorry but I’ve made many posts and comments before but just like a couple above, all I got were insults. Nothing else. No reason or why. Just insults. I shouldn’t have to ask why every time someone says “your idea sucks”(putting it mildly). Then not get a response. So I went ahead and said to list facts. I do it all the time when I disagree so why is it so hard for other players to do the same? If you were to talk to me in person you would noticed a huge difference between my use of words compared to my actual personality. And I’m not trying to give my life story. It is natural to feel attacked but that doesn’t mean they should attack unless they actually know. I don’t. 

I’m open for discussion but that is it. DISCUSSION. Not plain old insults. To discuss something involves stating ideas or disagreements and listing why. Key word, WHY. And all I said is if you disagree then tell me why. Otherwise your response is nothing more than an insult that I will not take seriously. Your insults have no meaning to me. I’ve been insulted enough in my life to not care. If you explain why you disagree then maybe I can see what you mean and change or improve my view. Otherwise your words are nothing but insults. I hope I made that clearer for y’all.

19 minutes ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

I’m open for discussion but that is it. DISCUSSION. Not plain old insults. To discuss something involves stating ideas or disagreements and listing why. Key word, WHY. And all I said is if you disagree then tell me why. Otherwise your response is nothing more than an insult that I will not take seriously. Your insults have no meaning to me. I’ve been insulted enough in my life to not care. If you explain why you disagree then maybe I can see what you mean and change or improve my view. Otherwise your words are nothing but insults. I hope I made that clearer for y’all.

For someone "open to discussion", you seem to be only focusing on what you call insults instead of the valid ideas.

4 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Before I start:

3) Only use facts to back up any and all disagreements or else your “opinion” doesn’t matter. Due to some comments let me try to make it clearer. Your INSULTS have no meaning. There is a difference between disagreeing and insulting and one of the main differences is that disagreeing requires facts. Such as “this idea wouldn’t work because...” vs an insult such as “this idea sucks”. No reasons or why. If this offends you then I don’t know what else to say but I’m done apologizing to people who only insult me then get upset cause their insults have no effect.

4) Do not use the solo player excuse. This is a MULTIPLAYER game and sometimes having more than one player is definitely needed. Like the Eidolon capture for example. Players should not have to be forced to play solo because of the chance an AFK may join. 

Again if you disagree then EXPLAIN YOURSELF so that I can fix it. Otherwise your opinion has no meaning and you’re just proving to “veteran” players and DE that you’re an AFK.

TL;DR

1)Don't give me rules to your thread, you're no forum moderator.

2)Don't necro threads, if there is a current one on the first 5 pages or so... good job on spamming topics?

3)Very defensive, almost as if this is a set up to imply that anyone disagreeing with you is in fact insulting you.  No one was offended or insulted, they haven't even read your thread yet.

4)People do Eidelons solo.  This is not anyone's excuse to allow other people to AFK in MP matches.  Stop making straw-man arguments before you even explain your problem/idea

5)Your opinion has no meaning, and you're just proving to all players and DE that you're highly aggravated and prone to using accusatory language and straw-man arguments to pump yourself full of that sweet righteous EGO.

1 hour ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

If you don’t give a “#*!%” then why are you commenting on this post? I haven’t once commented on a post that I didn’t give a “#*!%” nor have talked “#*!%” about not giving “#*!%”. So clearly you do give a “#*!%” or else you wouldn’t talk “#*!%”. See already contradicting yourself which is another reason your opinion doesn’t matter cause all it is, is you talking “#*!%” about not giving a “#*!%”.

Mimimimi crying because you started a dumb post. If you are a noob and can't carry an afk, stfu.

Edited by DarkSkysz

I’m just going to ignore your pretentiousness in this post and give my two cents.

Earlier today I had to AFK mid-mission to do something away from the game for about five minutes, midway through a Mobile Defense alert.

I didn’t save the recording or anything but when I checked ‘Alerts’ afterward - and the mission was successful btw, squad told me - the Alert was still there as if I hadn’t completed it.

Again, I didn’t check the mission rewards, and besides which, an Excalibur Mordred Helmet BP was the least of my worries, but I was AFK long enough that the game didn’t give me the Alert reward.

If I were a leecher who stays beside the game as I idle at the starting area, I would be easily able to move the slightest bit to circumvent the extremely basic anti-AFK, that does already exist to an extent

Besides which, your idea of there being an evac area for staying in the same place for 30 seconds can also be circumvented just as easily by doing the same thing every 29 seconds - slight movements, resets the timer.

This would also badly affect the stealth gameplay of newer players who don’t know when it’s safe to move when an enemy is walking past them, probably being stuck there for 30 seconds and being unable to move as far as they need to before they get kicked out of their session.

Stealth gameplay is rewarding, by the way - 5x Affinity is great.

I’d have personally suggested that there be at least a threshold for mission efforts that every player must do - IE, get a certain percentage of kills or something - to get their rewards, but then there’d be greedy RQ, 300% Ability Range + Strength Banshee Primes everywhere spamming their ult to instakill everything and stop people from getting their rewards.

Hell, even I as a player whose most used Warframe is Mesa, could accidentally do that without intending to no matter what I do - Regulators with Intensify and Streamline, plus Aklex Prime with full damage-only mods, can one-shot enemies with the Regulators up to level 60-80 and if they don’t die just like that, Mesa fires fast enough to take them down before a second passes anyway.

Mesa’s ult clears entire rooms, so effectively that most other players have no choice but to run around and grab loot while they wait for Mesa to run out of energy so she has to manually shoot.

Banshee’s the same way but it can spread to beyond the map, especially when the Warframe is Corrupted by opening Relics (Corruption status effect when it triggers on a Warframe boosts ability range and strength) where she can spam Sound Quake augmented with Resonating Quake and knockdown spam and kill everything.

To get back on topic with the movement timer, both Warframes are rooted to their positions when they use their Ultimate abilities, and a Banshee can sustain her SQ for entire cycles in Survival and full rounds of Defense consistently, which is much more efficient than toggling it just to jump about the map to leave the ‘clear zone’ and go right back in there, still getting rewards whether they AFK or not.

Mesa can toggle her ult on and off to reset the reticle size to full and start obliterating everything again without having to move.

Other Warframes I don’t know about will be extremely disbenefitted by this ‘30 second warning’, but at least it’d probably force Banshees to actually play and stop SQ spamming... for any longer than 29 seconds.

I don’t know whether you’re a vet, or a newbie, or otherwise... but honestly get over it. Leeching isn’t really that bad, the only problem with leeching is the complaints on the forums about it.

This game is a huge grindfest of a thing and we love it a lot in spite of that, but sometimes it can get so grindy that people just don’t want to put in work for maybe one or two missions out of the thousands that they have already done.

Or have you not stood back and watched a Banshee or Mesa kill everything, or stuck around at the beginning of the map or bolted straight for extraction, even once?

Have you never once just followed after the squad of 7 other Tenno in The Law of Retribution raid, because you couldn’t be bothered to play a Level 80+ mission that’s even tougher than a Sortie?

Some people don’t have the dedication to constantly do the same missions over and over and over again, so maybe it’s alright that they catch a break sometimes.

This is coming from someone who has seen leechers in multiple Alerts and hasn’t once cared enough about it to create a complaint post about them.

Edited by (PS4)Aerik93

3 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

What I meant by AFK was the player sitting still like they just put the controller down. 1-2 minutes is too long to come back and most players who are AFK take 5-10 minutes. 30 seconds is all it should take to get a drink or something otherwise you shouldn’t hop into a game knowing you’re gonna be AFK. I had one dude stand at the PoE door the entire bounty. Not moving even once. For some missions there will obviously be exceptions. 

There is no need to explain in detail, I have encountered players who have joined a "Public" game and was idle throughout the mission.

[ Players that make no effort during a mission or purposely tries to troll others with Limbo's Banish ability deserve to be kicked from the game session.]

*Although you are not the first or last player who wishes for this game function, it will never happen due to other players willing to misuse this feature. 

I'd say there's no need to develop any sophisticated anti-afk timers. Implement votekick.

Naturally, some people will abuse it. However the odds of running into 3 people plotting to kick you for fun are significantly lower than running into a lonely player who afks just because there's nothing you can do about it.

Edited by SeaUrchins

I have to agree with most people here, actually with everyone here, you have come across as a very angry and pretentious person, basically giving the impression that, those who dont agree with you are wrong and therefore should be ignored. Not gonna get you very far mr. 

Regarding the topic, I agree AFK players can be a pain, and I personally hate it, but I am not easy to judge, I ask that player is he is playing or not, and if I see no respond I either leave or stay, depending on my mood, I dont like carrying people tbh but sometimes it really doesnt matter to me since most missions in Warframe are trivial anyway. 

But, sometimes I get someone saying, dont worry about him he is in the toilet, or having a smoke, etc which doesnt really matter much to me since we really dont need his help, I could have a problem if it was a sortie or something like that and he we were struggling but that rarely happens. 

There is also a reward lockdown when the player does not move for a certain amount of time, and while they always get the end game rewards they dont game the in game ones. I know this because I have 2 accounts, and always play solo mode (or friend only mode) and mostly when I need a taxi somewhere, and I can guarantee you that, at least for survival and defense missions if one of my account does not move for a certain amount of time it will not get in game rewards (such as relics, mods, etc). This was very common when using banshee, didn matter I got 99% of the damage (even in pubs) if I didnt move for a while i will get no rewards. 

There is no easy solution tbh, AFK players can adapt to this movement restrictions by leaving the controller on forward mode and constantly running against the wall, using ivaras invisibility for example, so your solutions wont really work in that example. You could also not give rewards to those players who have very little kills but this will affect those players who are running support frames and are in tremendous disadvantage against other frames with high damage outputs, such as volt, banshee, equinox, ember, etc. If you are in a team of 3 volt running in hydron and you are running a frame such as ivara you will be getting very few kills even if you are running around the map doing your best. In fact, I can guarantee that if a player is with me in hydron while I am using volt or a similar frame you are likely to get 0 to 1% of the total damage unless you are running a high output frame which means you might get up to 10% if you move around the map fast enough. Also if you are a relatively new player or have a frame that you are levelling up (which is what you would normally encounter in places such as hydron) since your abilities will be locked you will also have issues killing enemies, specially if you are weapons are level 0 or similar. Not too much of a problem for MR15 and higher but a struggle for those with lower MR.

Basically the solutions you imply will not work, DE need to find a formula to figure out who is AFK and who isnt but yours isnt.

Edited by (PS4)El_Senior_Fats

Here's a secret and extremely unheard of solution to afkers...abort the mission. Mindblown right? You're 1-2 minutes in a mission and you're spotting someone afk leeching / doing nothing. Ignore that player so you won't have to deal with them again in Recruit, abort the mission so they get nothing and start a new one, you just lost 2 minutes. It took you 10+ minutes to write this entire thing, guess what is more efficient.

Edited by Serdinor_Darkrose
fixed a typo

14 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Stopped reading right here. You won't even put in the effort to see the previous thoughts on this subject you seem to have such a problem with? Stop being lazy. Maybe if you did you'd know there's already an implemented punishment for players that AFK. Not only that but in some cases it even hurts players who just need to step away for a bathroom break or something because of how easily its triggered.

29 minutes ago, Serdinor_Darkrose said:

Here's a secret and extremely unheard of solution to afkers...abort the mission. Mindblown right? You're 1-2 minutes in a mission and you're spotting someone afk leeching / doing nothing. Ignore that player so you won't have to deal with them again in Recruit, abort the mission so they get nothing and start a new one, you just lost 2 minutes. It took you 10+ minutes to write this entire thing, guess what is more efficient.

Or instead of punishing yourself over and over (this becomes logged in your profile stats), you simply complete the mission and report.

Reporting works, leaving the mission means the player will continue to afk.