The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Queen is back (Nuker Saryn)

ThorienKELL

She never left really. When DE killed our beloved nuker saryn and made her way too complex for her own good, people just abandoned her in droves. You can see occasional saryn here or there but they were used clumsily and she was far from old kill counts, spitting that ridiculous spores on her molt. But then somebody somewhere discovered a synergy between explosive weapons and spores, which would spread them instantaneously. Thing worked best with hikou prime with concealed explosives but other secondaries like pox worked nicely. If you had gas weapon with lot of status you would get two status going which would as we know triple the damage. 

Was this deliberate or some bizarre bug - with DE man never knows really. So all was fine and well, in general populace was unaware of this and saryn remained under the radar. Mechanics was good but it lacked that final push and this happened lately with buff of beam weapons.

So - ignis wraith. With 60/60 status damage gas mod and crit build is formidable weapon by itself but with the range (and possibly primed shred and riven) this can spread spores safely, quickly and with just quick pull across the area, give gas status to everything and everybody. You just cast spores, pull the ignis across the screen and nuke with miasma. You can take proper secondary because of combo.

Build is somewhat demanding. You need really high damage and range, 200-250% and some efficiency (you can do low eff build but proper nuker must cast at will in my book, at least 130-140% eff) and some duration (70-80%). So 3-4 formas. Needles to say, zenurik and energize help a ton. This is endgame build, it can work earlier but not as well. 

This is eris osterus mission, first two rounds (AA rotation, zephyr relics farming). Other guy with some kills was ember. Quite solid imo. Happy poisoning.

0115B044FD120078DE6EAF4E6B4743A82185B801

As others said, she's been like this for a while. When played properly she can destroy lower level zones. That said, I prefer actually letting mobs spread her spores as when they shoot them off of molt they seem to work much more effectively. It's funny watching Saryns who need energy pizzas every few rounds because all they do is keep popping 2/4 and don't kill any faster for it.

And Torid is more efficient for taking care of spreading them from Molt and from enemies as well often.

Also this should be in the Warframe feedback section.

Edited by True_Naeblis

You don't spread from molt - that technique is unnecessary and obsolete. You spore enemy and shoot it with ignis or other explosive weapons. BAM spores spread in second on max range. That's the whole trick. All you use molt for is protection/distraction, when you need it or as bomb - when are lot of enemies around - both situations are rare with build I've described.

And "low level" somebody mentioned is not that low at all. Lvl 60, in some situations 80 enemies die fast. After equinox, this could be possibly strongest nuker frame in game atm. 

Edited by ThorienKELL

Saryn is still strong AF, she just needs a few more button presses. she still has arguably one of the best 1st abilities in game, she can heal herself easily with Regen Molt, deal DPS to entire rooms all at once, greatly increase your melee damage or just outright nuke everything.

as much as I love Frost and Volt, Saryn is best elemental caster in the game IMO.

So you've discovered AOE weapons + saryn about a year after the combination became pointless (well, not pointless but the synergy is greatly reduced). Spores have a 5 or so second cooldown on reinfection from popping (you can recast it directly on an enemy just fine though). Once you've popped the first spore, you get nothing out of popping more unless new enemies arrive. That means popping all the spores at once with an aoe weapon is no better than popping a couple of spores every few seconds.

Edited by schilds

My build for Saryn Prime goes:

Growing Power, Power Drift, Primed Continuity, Primed Flow, Quick Thinking, Contagion, Augur Reach, Stretch, Overextended, Blind Rage. 

I use a Plague Kripath or Plague Keewar Zaw (spec’d for Attack Speed with Ekwana Jai II and Seekalla) to go with this build. Necessary mods are Condition Overload, Blood Rush, Primed Pressure Point, Primed Fever Strike, Primed Reach, Drifting Contact, Voltaic Strike, Healing Return.

Things to account for: Cast Spore on enemy, cast Toxic Lash, keep meleeing enemies and keep popping Spores. Toxic Lash with Contagion procs a Toxin Cloud that helps to spread Spores. However, because Condition Overload is in effect, you get a damage boost from 6 potential status ailments: Toxin, Viral, Corrosive, Impact, Puncture, Slash. And Healing Return will be there to reap in the rewards from them.

Having an Arcane Energize set or two will keep you alive for Endless, or go in to have fun for Miasma casts and CC. If you want to use Regenerative Molt for a panic heal, it can be easily replaced with Augur Reach but not necessary. Use Molt with Spores on it as a Spore trap for enemies to aggro on. Otherwise, it’s just constant Spore casts on enemies, keeping Toxic Lash up, and meleeing enemies over and over to keep the combo counter consistent.

edit: To me, Saryn Prime is the Queen of consistent dps. She absolutely wrecks anyone and everyone she infects. ❤️

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23

8 hours ago, ThorienKELL said:

She never left really. When DE killed our beloved nuker saryn and made her way too complex for her own good, people just abandoned her in droves.

Warframe (and other games) have this mob mentality about things that are incredibly strong for minimal effort (or in Warframe, "press-4-to-win"). Many players flock to p42w tactics because they're easy and they make them feel good about themselves without trying too hard. When the change came to Saryn, her damage output wasn't reduced, but her effort demand was increased. This didn't ruin Saryn, just her p42w game. When players cried out against this, saying the change "ruined Saryn", these players didn't enjoy Saryn, just her p42w. The evidence here is that p42w is all Saryn was to them. They didn't see her effectiveness post-update if they couldn't press one button and win the game, despite her effectiveness still being very much alive. They then went on the find the next easiest p42w tactic.

Saryn can still nuke, only now it's harder to do. This is justified. Nuking shouldn't be the easiest thing to do unless everything your character does is a nuke.

1 hour ago, SenorClipClop said:

Warframe (and other games) have this mob mentality about things that are incredibly strong for minimal effort (or in Warframe, "press-4-to-win"). Many players flock to p42w tactics because they're easy and they make them feel good about themselves without trying too hard. When the change came to Saryn, her damage output wasn't reduced, but her effort demand was increased. This didn't ruin Saryn, just her p42w game. When players cried out against this, saying the change "ruined Saryn", these players didn't enjoy Saryn, just her p42w. The evidence here is that p42w is all Saryn was to them. They didn't see her effectiveness post-update if they couldn't press one button and win the game, despite her effectiveness still being very much alive. They then went on the find the next easiest p42w tactic.

Saryn can still nuke, only now it's harder to do. This is justified. Nuking shouldn't be the easiest thing to do unless everything your character does is a nuke.

This. I personally donot like 1buttontodominate characters and stand still game plays. One example for stand still gameplay is banshee. What is that? Player should run, press buttons and play actively. Of course there are circumstances for immobile gameplays but that should not be whole map dominating kind of thing. I think game should reward running, gunning, pressing button combinations, tactical gameplay much. So, I considered saryn's nerf as this kind of nerf. If game changes mould sporing into enemy sporing, then i donot consider this as a real nerf.

9 hours ago, schilds said:

So you've discovered AOE weapons + saryn about a year after the combination became pointless (well, not pointless but the synergy is greatly reduced). Spores have a 5 or so second cooldown on reinfection from popping (you can recast it directly on an enemy just fine though). Once you've popped the first spore, you get nothing out of popping more unless new enemies arrive. That means popping all the spores at once with an aoe weapon is no better than popping a couple of spores every few seconds.

I've "discovered" it weeks after the nerf, that was like years ago, as I've already said. I don't need to pop more spores, 1 is all I need to infect anything in 40m range (235% pwr range) then I just nuke. Spore> weapon hit> nuke. Rinse and repeat. I've explained everything but some ppl clearly like better to type then to read. 

9 hours ago, Threa said:

You listed your stats with mods but could you post a screen of your actual build? I'd like to give this a try. 

Spoiler

58B765AF89BF2904FE15DCD428A96B53DCD6155E

3 hours ago, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

He likely hit his cap unless he was killing 1100 level fives or something tbh. After like 10 waves of hydron i'm getting a few thousand on frame at least.

It was eris, osterus. 38-42 lvl enemies. No booster. 

7 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

My build for Saryn Prime goes:

Things to account for: Cast Spore on enemy, cast Toxic Lash, keep meleeing enemies and keep popping Spores.

I have no doubt this build is viable and powerful, however, melee in this game is so powerful that after that combo count starts to rise and weeping wounds /blood rush kick in, it doesn't really matter what you're using as frame or weapon, enemies melt anyway. I might try this just for fun thou, I do have melee build saryn myself but I haven't played it /updated build in ages. Also, zaw is cool and it can have nasty range but scoliac with some sick riven could take this to whole new level. Accidntally I might have one of those handy ... ;)

2 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

Agreed. Thing is this is far easier then DE originally planned, with that of dropping spores on molt. That was clumsy af. 

57 minutes ago, BaronKreight said:

What little gameplay of her I saw was her standing near defense objective spamming spores on her double. She belongs to that group with banshees and embers.

Repeat after me and you will get cured: This. Game. Needs. Nukers. 

8 hours ago, Threa said:

I'm testing her out on level 100 corrupted and it's not doing much to them. I must be doing something wrong? 

Damage is affected by Ability Strength, Toxin and Viral status effects, and Molt. Miasma deals an additional 100% damage to enemies affected by either Toxin or Viral status effects and an additional 200% damage to enemies affected by both. And additional damage (depending on molt's health) if in vicinity of molt. Also, corrupted enemies are toughest enemies in game by far. They are twice as tough as grineer and grineer are twice as though as everything else (even more on higher levels)

Edited by ThorienKELL

She was my first prime and is probably one of my favourite and most-used frames, despite my profile saying I've had some woefully small percentage of playtime with her (allegedly less than some frames I've leveled to 30 and never used again, lol).

I don't get why some people think she's not viable. She makes starchart missions a total breeze, and I regularly take her into sortie level missions and do the most damage and get the most kills with ease. Her only issue at those higher levels is sometimes being slightly squishy, but that's true of most casters and if you keep mobile you can stay alive.

I love her playstyle because it's active, not press 4 to win; to maximise your DPS you want to be running around attacking enemies and spreading those spores. Whoever compared her to RQ Banshee or WOF Ember is wrong, unless you're talking low level, in which case you might as well add in Mag, Mesa, and every other frame with abilities that can instakill starchart cannon fodder in a large area.

I rarely ever use Miasma on Saryn; when I use spore/toxic lash and a good condition overload melee, things die before I need to use miasma. Toxic lash spreads the spores, and also adds a toxic proc to go with spores' viral proc, while the condition overload benefits from those procs. While all that goes on, you gain energy back from every spored enemy you kill, so if you really wanted to, you could throw around some miasma.

On the topic of near afk Saryn nukes, most of that problem could be fixed with a change to make spores only applicable on molt once per cast of molt, and make the spores last there until they are spread.

If a newer player reads this and wants to know what is going on, know this: Saryn has some pretty deep synergies for some great dps, if you take the time to learn and use them.

1 gives and spreads viral procs, and will spread toxic procs if they are present

viral and toxin procs increase dmg from 4

1 can go on enemies or 2

2 blows up (and spreads a toxin proc) with a recast of 2 or a cast of 4 (the toxin proc from 2 blowing up happens first, then the dmg from 4)

3 spreads 1 and adds a toxin proc for 1, enemies affected by 1 give [2 energy] per spore popped by 3

4 hours ago, ThorienKELL said:

Agreed. Thing is this is far easier then DE originally planned, with that of dropping spores on molt. That was clumsy af.

I wouldn't call it clumsy, since it was definitely intended. Molt counts as a neutral object (or maaaaybe an NPC?), which normally don't take Spores, so DE had to specifically design Molt to do so. It's possible that it's more powerful than intended, but I have my doubts about that, since I'm pretty sure Saryn was untouched in the Warframe balance pass this year. Evidence suggests that they planned it to be this easy.

23 hours ago, (PS4)lhbuch said:

Melee is the way to maximize the dmg with saryn

This is what I ended up doing myself with her.  Slapped a Silva & Aegis Prime with Final Harbinger stance and Gas build.  Cast Spore and Toxic Lash once and go have a grand old time.  It's so fun and effective that I rarely bother with the other methods.  

Edited by DatDarkOne

On 3/30/2018 at 4:40 AM, nms. said:

That image also shows how f*cking depressing focus gains are during normal play.

Eidolon Lens on Saryn and Lesion

=> A few wave-20 hydron runs (2-3 games for me) and i've already capped the 250k (with a booster ofc). Not to mention couple trilodon hunts whoop. 400k down down down. 

By no means the focus system is perfect. Nothing is. Focus could use a bit more changing (remove the damn orb) but the gains itself are fine since its supposed to be longrun procesa taking up years to max. 

Edited by Daziri

Old news, she's not "back". You're speaking like this is a new discovered thing. Every Saryn I've seen excluding new players since the revamp years ago already know/does this. That and she's not "back" to her former godliness pressing one button to clear a room fast. Doesn't mean she's not good now, just not as good as she was in the past obviously.

7 hours ago, SunsetChaos said:

Old news, she's not "back". You're speaking like this is a new discovered thing. Every Saryn I've seen excluding new players since the revamp years ago already know/does this. That and she's not "back" to her former godliness pressing one button to clear a room fast. Doesn't mean she's not good now, just not as good as she was in the past obviously.

First sentence of my post "she never left actually" - so .... I am obviously not speaking as if this is some new discovered thing. My post was motivated by newly found and very effective status ignis /saryn synergy. It is also here to educate newbies and teach thing or two average players, not all players are pros like yourself. If you're so experienced as you claim to be you have certainly noticed that effective saryn players which kill tons are rare as summer snow - hence this post.