Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Explain to me why the sun rises in the west?

CuChulainnWD

Global Warming? 

Seriously, I've wondered this too! I have other questions too! Why are the Plains of Eidolon called the "Plains" and not the "Hills"? Why is Uranus underwater? Why are there 50 minutes of night for specific parts of the planet while other parts have 4 hours?! 

Timey-Whimey, says I! 

14 minutes ago, Yuri_Doujinshi said:

I mean, the weather on the plains is far less than realistic as well. Thunderstorm with light cloud cover, anyone?

You haven't been to a lot of places then. It rains all the time where I live with the sun shining or there are barely any clouds.

14 minutes ago, (XB1)ZenithLord 42 said:

Why are there 50 minutes of night for specific parts of the planet while other parts have 4 hours?! 

You do realize that different parts of the Earth have different day/night cycles, right? 

3 minutes ago, Sablesword said:

You do realize that different parts of the Earth have different day/night cycles, right? 

Why are there 50 minutes of night for specific parts of the planet while other parts have 4 hours?! 

Game wise it makes sense to shorten the duration of day night cycles for challenge and fairness to players globally. That said there is differences through the seasons for day night cycle durration.

Now for my explanation for the sun rising in the west, perhaps the magnetic poles shifted? Unless this is an oversight on DE's part?

Edited by CuChulainnWD

They blundered, simple as that.

When plains premiered no allusions to cardinal directions were made (apart from what we could tell for ourselves). They proclaimed Cetus to be on the south most likely because when they previously made larger mini-map with labels and all that, they put it on the bottom instead of on the top, for some ungodly reason. And after that, when the time came to proclaim cardinal directions, they thought that since it's at the bottom of their map, that's where must be south. Whoever did that simply forgot/did not check that stuff on the plains is situated as if Cetus is actually to the North.

So yeah, it's just a #*!% up by DE, nothing else to it.

38 minutes ago, Sablesword said:

But the duration of a complete day/night cycle is the same everywhere.

To be more accurate, it's almost the same unless you are inside of a polar circle, and it changes during the year if you are.

Meanwhile in Warframe the complete light cycle on Earth takes 2.5 hours in Cetus and PoE and 8 hours everywhere else.

Edited by ToaMimrik
removing a rogue linebreak

Always funny seeing such threads made by someone who doesn't know enough.

Ever heard of geomagnetic reversal?
If we keep on using our compasses as they are now, then one day they will point to the geographic south. So east and west will switch aswell. And then the sun rises in the west.

magnetic polar reverse is a thing that scientist actually considering and theorizing, They can even take a guess on how many time the earth do this in the past. so it could explain the phenomenon without involving the orokin doing anything.

either that, or the label of "north" and "south" got swap over time.

2 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

If we keep on using our compasses as they are now, then one day they will point to the geographic south. So east and west will switch aswell. And then the sun rises in the west.

THANK YOU.

It's probably just an oversight by the devs, but if it's intentional and we need a plausible explanation for it, geomagnetic reversal fits perfectly. It happens on the scale of ~half a million years, and the last complete one happened for us about 780,000 years ago-- so it's entirely possible that the poles reversed again by the time WF's timeline begins.

7 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

5 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

THANK YOU.

It's probably just an oversight by the devs, but if it's intentional and we need a plausible explanation for it, geomagnetic reversal fits perfectly. It happens on the scale of ~half a million years, and the last complete one happened for us about 780,000 years ago-- so it's entirely possible that the poles reversed again by the time WF's timeline begins.

Pssst, if you read the entire thread, you may find I knew enough. Though it could still be an oversight by DE. It was kind of a rhetorical satire to draw attention to it to maybe get an answer from the devs.

The sun just felt like having a change of scenery or in this cast seeing the same stuff from the other direction?

idk i dont question the big ball of light in the sky it gives me the ability to grow strawberries in real life why would i question it in a video game?

10 hours ago, VisionAndVoice said:

They blundered, simple as that.

When plains premiered no allusions to cardinal directions were made (apart from what we could tell for ourselves). They proclaimed Cetus to be on the south most likely because when they previously made larger mini-map with labels and all that, they put it on the bottom instead of on the top, for some ungodly reason. And after that, when the time came to proclaim cardinal directions, they thought that since it's at the bottom of their map, that's where must be south. Whoever did that simply forgot/did not check that stuff on the plains is situated as if Cetus is actually to the North.

So yeah, it's just a #*!% up by DE, nothing else to it.

So, lore wise, the planet's rotation was reversed/axis was flipped. Mystery solved.

11 hours ago, (XB1)ZenithLord 42 said:

Global Warming? 

Seriously, I've wondered this too! I have other questions too! Why are the Plains of Eidolon called the "Plains" and not the "Hills"? Why is Uranus underwater? Why are there 50 minutes of night for specific parts of the planet while other parts have 4 hours?! 

Timey-Whimey, says I! 

The time thing is just because nobody wants to wait 4 hours to farm tridolon for the next 4 hours. Basically, the old earth day/night cycle is mostly antiquated because nobody cares.

For uranus, it's an ice giant. It's not unthinkable to suggest that part of harvesting the planet's resources involved heating it, seeing as temps can be as low as -224c, which would create large bodies of liquid water, wherein harvesting operations could take place.

I mean, there's active life on mars, which cannot currently sustain complex life due to low amounts of liquid water. Obviously it's some orokin #*!%ery, and water on uranus isn't the most unreasonable thing.

14 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

There is a difference between north & magnetic north, and magnetic north changin won't change what we call north, we would just change what's written on compasses.

1 minute ago, Meri_ said:

There is a difference between north & magnetic north, and magnetic north changin won't change what we call north, we would just change what's written on compasses.

Thank god, you didn't read what I wrote.
This way, you get to get lectured.
I wrote "if we keep on using our compasses as they are now", implying we don't change what's written on them.
And if you take a look at Cetus, people there don't really care about cardinal directions. And the Orokin didn't care about them either. They basically lived in space.
So nobody would change, what's written on compasses.
So yeah, I have no clue, why you wanted to make your comment. 

To be honest, it is all just Semantics.

Sure, I can say Antarctica is the North and the current Arctic Ocean is the South. If enough people buy my viewpoint and it goes across the world, then North, South, East and West can all be changed.

Words are just ... words.