Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Earth Is Spinning Backwards!?

Epicredeemer

So, I was out running bounties on the Plains, and noticed something.

At some point between now and whenever Warframe takes place, it seems that the Earth's direction of rotation has reversed.  I watched the sun set in the East, rather than the West.

DE, is this intentional?  Did the Orokin do their usual space magic and reverse the Earth's rotation without ripping the planet apart, or is this just a mistake that you thought nobody would pick up on?

Is this post even in the right place?

The sun wanted a change of scenery it was probably intentional or if it wasnt i think its neat 

also neat how the sky turns red and the moon stuff in the air lights up like a sun for abit and that makes the eidolons wake up from there hour long naps to be shot or annoyed by tenno 

30 minutes ago, Epicredeemer said:

I guess, there's two this can really come under. It's both a criticism of the level design and the compass itself. So whilst Missions and Levels is fine, I put my own thread in Art, Animation and UI since I focused more on the compass.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/961057-the-plains-of-eidolons-compass-is-backwards/

You get a pass.

But yeah, the Earth is apparently spinning backwards now...

26 minutes ago, allibound said:

Far more likely that the magnetic poles have reversed, something that we know has happened naturally a few times in Earth's past.

How would the poles reversing cause the Earth to spin in another direction...?

Unless you mean that the Earth would flip over, so the sun would appear to move across in the other direction. I'm pretty certain that's not what happens when the magnetic field reverses...

32 minutes ago, allibound said:

Far more likely that the magnetic poles have reversed, something that we know has happened naturally a few times in Earth's past.

This would only change the magnetic poles, not the physical poles or the Earth's rotation.

Pretty much you would look on a compass and see North on the South and South on the North.

Everything else would stay the same.

4 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Unless you mean that the Earth would flip over, so the sun would appear to move across in the other direction. I'm pretty certain that's not what happens when the magnetic field reverses...

1 minute ago, -SDM-NerevarCM said:

This would only change the magnetic poles, not the physical poles or the Earth's rotation.

Pretty much you would look on a compass and see North on the South and South on the North.

Reversing the magnetic poles means that a compass points in the opposite direction.
So if you don't change your compass, the sun will rise in the west.
And let's be honest, you on the Warframe-Earth would even bother with changing the compass? People have better things to do. Fighting Grineer, not getting killed by Eidolons...

We can't really know what happened when Lotus decided to move out the freakin' Moon from Earth's orbit though

1 hour ago, -SDM-NerevarCM said:

That kinda confirms the point of the OP here, we have no idea where the "North" markers on the Earth's minimaps are pointing towards.

Anyway I think nothing makes much sense on Earth, the Day/Night cycles on Eidolon are not the same length than everywhere else on Earth so...

Edited by Chewarette

1 minute ago, Chewarette said:

That kinda confirms the point of the OP here, we have no idea where the "North" markers on the Earth's minimaps are pointing towards.

DE wouldn't design the map and compass with pole reversion in mind, and then not mention it somewhere in the lore.

I mean, does Star Trek and other popular science fiction include an Earth with reversed poles and no explanation? That's not a sarky question, genuinely haven't actually watched that much Sci-Fi. Regardless I can't imagine so, I'd wager it's decidedly simpler to just leave Earths rotation as is, since that requires no explanation.

It's far more likely that DE fully intend North to represent the North that we know today and simply screwed up somewhere with the skybox or compass.

10 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Anyway I think nothing makes much sense on Earth, the Day/Night cycles on Eidolon are not the same length than everywhere else on Earth so...

so, not only did the Orokin reverse the rotation, they also accelerated it

13 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

It's far more likely that DE fully intend North to represent the North that we know today and simply screwed up somewhere with the skybox or compass.

I think this is the explanation: it's just a mistake that isn't worth fixing.

In actuality, it was probably a dev oversight. Oops.

But now that it's canon (well, been pointed out and not yet changed), I'm gonna bet the Orokin reversed it for kicks one day, possibly while drunk.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

15 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

Reversing the magnetic poles means that a compass points in the opposite direction.
So if you don't change your compass, the sun will rise in the west.
And let's be honest, you on the Warframe-Earth would even bother with changing the compass? People have better things to do. Fighting Grineer, not getting killed by Eidolons...

As I outlined later, it's pretty unlikely that the map and compass was designed with a pole flip and thus compass flip in mind.

:tongue:

14 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

DE wouldn't design the map and compass with pole reversion in mind, and then not mention it somewhere in the lore.

Lore, in the end, is mostly stuff made up by the community.
So why not make up why the sun rises in the west?
And why does it bother people anyways? As if it had any meaning for gameplay and stuff. If we went by realism, a lot of things would be different and less enjoyable.

12 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

Lore, in the end, is mostly stuff made up by the community.
So why not make up why the sun rises in the west?
And why does it bother people anyways? As if it had any meaning for gameplay and stuff. If we went by realism, a lot of things would be different and less enjoyable.

I don't see the compass actually being flipped as something that can bring any enjoyment to the game.

If there was actual lore about it, an interesting story to explain it, then sure. But until then it's a mistake and I'll treat it as such.

15 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

If they follow the magnetic direction as north, then flipping the poles would flip all of the cardinal directions. North/south, east/west would "reverse" so to speak.

Really though DE probably has a number wrong somewhere that either reversed the path the sun takes or rotated it's center of rotation by 180 degrees.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

3 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I was on the plains earlier today at night, and I watched the sun come up in the east, then after a minute, it warped to the west....so....make of that what you will....

tldr the sun is crazy.

Sleek programming

On 2018-06-19 at 9:29 AM, Epicredeemer said:

So, I was out running bounties on the Plains, and noticed something.

At some point between now and whenever Warframe takes place, it seems that the Earth's direction of rotation has reversed.  I watched the sun set in the East, rather than the West.

DE, is this intentional?  Did the Orokin do their usual space magic and reverse the Earth's rotation without ripping the planet apart, or is this just a mistake that you thought nobody would pick up on?

To simply say the game is set in future and our earth's axis has ever been slightly changing or moving so since we skipped let's say a 10000 decades or something cuz we see how human's have split up from earth and how they have created a new civilization in some other planet. The orokin's and corpus to be precise so of course you would see our sun setting in the East 

And moreover this seems entirely intentional cuz they only recently introduced the North point in POE

Edited by RoronoaAngleo

On 2018-06-18 at 10:48 PM, Chewarette said:

We can't really know what happened when Lotus decided to move out the freakin' Moon from Earth's orbit though

Thing is, I don't think she did. I think she did a version of what Limbo does: she banished it from sight. It was still there, its gravity was still there, but it was intangible and invisible