Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Options to make matchmaking in public games better

Atekron

Give players ability to choose those option before match, and then combine party acordingly

1. Choose a role (especially necessary for eidolons hunt):

• DPS
  • Healer
  • Buff
  • CC
  • Any

2. Declare your intent (depending of mission type):

• how many waves/rounds you going to play in defence/interception/onslaught/excavation
  • how much time you going to spend in survival

and, to fix problem with leechers in bounties give standing and rewards only to those players who in some range near mission objective

Buddy, you're looking for TF2 if you want this. Secondly, Conclave is competitive enough and with the mechanics of Warframe, no body will be healed quickly enough to get back into battle.

It all depends on what you bring to the table for your team. 

Say for example, if you're a warrior, you'd fight offensively to win the objective. If you're a sniper, you'll be at the highest places shooting shields down for others to finish them off. If you're the healer, you'd be on the back lines, healing your team for battle.

What you tried doing is make Conclave to a refined Overwatch.

22 minutes ago, Talinthis said:

give me the option to never join a players game.. like 40% of the time its just a laggy mess.. i got perfect fiber optics i want to host all the time 😑

Agreed, give option to always host or always not become host. I have a bad internet so giving option to not become host is a good thing for me.

30 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

This could end up beeing used for player discrimination , Il say a big NO to this

Yep, i'll forever be against any mechanic that can be exploited to discourage players and enforce elitism and toxicity.

PUG is actually fine if you don't expect others to magically feel your wishes. Want to see really bad PUG matchmaking? Go check Vermintide 2 for example.

38 minutes ago, Atekron said:

1. Choose a role (especially necessary for eidolons hunt):

• DPS
  • Healer
  • Buff
  • CC
  • Any

Nobody can expect to punish a player if one doesn't suit the chosen role perfectly. So 99.9% choose 'Any' just to get to the mission faster and here we are back to the start.

42 minutes ago, Atekron said:

2. Declare your intent (depending of mission type):

• how many waves/rounds you going to play in defence/interception/onslaught/excavation
  • how much time you going to spend in survival

Declare like 10 waves to start faster, extract after 5 cause bad team composition happened. Or use chat during mission to communicate. It's not that hard to type few words from time to time even in the heat of battle. So what's my point? Waste of time for both devs and players.

50 minutes ago, Atekron said:

to fix problem with leechers in bounties give standing and rewards only to those players who in some range near mission objective

1. Imagine next objective 1000+ metres away and it's just hostage rescue. Titania with augmented Razorwing can be there even before others get their archwings dropped. And the player has to choose either to save the poor ostron now and get ready to go to the next objective or wait for a minute while others catch up so other's won't lose reward. That's an example of punishing players who are actively participating.
  2. Loki running close to the team doing nothing but mining still gets rewards. Oops.

So this change can't guarantee that leechers don't get reward and at the same time can punish players who aren't leeching. Sorry, but I say 'No' for this too.

36 minutes ago, Syasob said:

PUG is actually fine if you don't expect others to magically feel your wishes. Want to see really bad PUG matchmaking? Go check Vermintide 2 for example.

Yes with literal virtual racism in the form of hating on the Elf. There was one chap who was rather unhinged.

42 minutes ago, Syasob said:

Nobody can expect to punish a player if one doesn't suit the chosen role perfectly. So 99.9% choose 'Any' just to get to the mission faster and here we are back to the start.

well, if player choose "any" game will much you with others who choose "any", like it match you now, but if you hunt eidolon and want decent team comp you can querry as healer and ecspect to game much you with dps and buff

46 minutes ago, Syasob said:

Declare like 10 waves to start faster, extract after 5 cause bad team composition happened. Or use chat during mission to communicate. It's not that hard to type few words from time to time even in the heat of battle. So what's my point? Waste of time for both devs and players.

ez, players that did not specify intent will be much as it is now, but if you specify 20 waves and leave at 10 you will not receive any rewards or xp

49 minutes ago, Syasob said:

So this change can't guarantee that leechers don't get reward and at the same time can punish players who aren't leeching. Sorry, but I say 'No' for this too.

well, there sould be some window of time like 3-5 min, and yeah some players will receive rewords without contributing much, but this is targeted to eliminate ppl who stand near gates and do absolutly nothing

I don't know why to much hate to the current matchmaking. If you want a "true team" just go to recruit chat. When i set PUB i only expect join with another 3 people that increase the number of enemies spawn (increasing affinity and loot) and serves as a decoy for some enemies. For me is like play me + 3 random spectres. If once the game start we have a cool composition with 4x cp and maxed gear, great. If not, i always bring a frame or weapon that is able to carry my game.

Lag issues are another topic. I agree with the option for "prefer host" and "prefer client".

Edited by Dragoncroac

30 minutes ago, Dragoncroac said:

I don't know why to much hate to the current matchmaking. If you want a "true team" just go to recruit chat. When i set PUB i only expect join with another 3 people that increase the number of enemies spawn (increasing affinity and loot) and serves as a decoy for some enemies. For me is like play me + 3 random spectres. If once the game start we have a cool composition with 4x cp and maxed gear, great. If not, i always bring a frame or weapon that is able to carry my game.

Lag issues are another topic. I agree with the option for "prefer host" and "prefer client".

i don't hate it, i just think that some recent content, like eidolon hunt and in in less extend ESO, requaire specific team copmposition to not be frustarated with game outcome, consider it like autmated alternative to loking for group in a chat

42 minutes ago, Orblit said:

It should not let that one host have under 200 ping at loading screen, then jump to teleporting enemies levels of lag in-game.

but you already can specify max ping for matchmaking in game options

33 minutes ago, LupisV0lk said:

Yes with literal virtual racism in the form of hating on the Elf. There was one chap who was rather unhinged.

Offtop here:

Spoiler

That's only the top of an iceberg. Kerillian just has too much pros with little cons. OP characters tend to be hated by those who don't play 'em (Link-Trinity says 'hi').

Much worse are quickgame lobby with afk host, where the game puts you every time so you literally have no way to play. Host migration brings you back the the start etc

27 minutes ago, Atekron said:

well, if player choose "any" game will much you with others who choose "any", like it match you now, but if you hunt eidolon and want decent team comp you can querry as healer and ecspect to game much you with dps and buff

Try using Recruiting chat. Equinox can be healer but you hope to see Trinity or Harrow to save your lives from angry Eidolon, right? Not to mention 'human factor': choosing wrong role, have wrong build (or the build others see as wrong) etc. So this results in insignificant 'quality' increase for PUG Eidolon hunting especially compared to implementing complicated squad-finding system.

34 minutes ago, Atekron said:

ez, players that did not specify intent will be much as it is now, but if you specify 20 waves and leave at 10 you will not receive any rewards or xp

Great. Everyone will play either with 5 intended waves or won't specify it at all (just like it is now, see?). Hope I don't have to explain why.

40 minutes ago, Atekron said:

well, there sould be some window of time like 3-5 min, and yeah some players will receive rewords without contributing much, but this is targeted to eliminate ppl who stand near gates and do absolutly nothing

Looks like building a space ship to travel to a town 5 miles away. It's like 100th topic about fighting leeching behavior and I'm against anything that can possibly count you leeching if you actually don't, cause if one want to leech... fine, let the Lotus judge him, I'll just blacklist the player and forget about one's existence, but if some mindless bot will count me leeching if I, for example, don't do enough damage, went too far from the others etc it will actually hurt me much harder.

4 hours ago, Atekron said:

Choose a role (especially necessary for eidolons hunt):

• DPS
  • Healer
  • Buff
  • CC
  • Any

First thing: That's what recruit chat is for.
You want a balanced team of specific composition?  Then use recruit chat and be done in 5 to 10 minutes at the most.
If you're pugging then expect randomness and not the perfect team comp.

Also who defines what?
For instance is Rhino DPS, Buff, or CC?
What about Equinox?  Healer or DPS?
From experience I would think that when people think healer in the terms of eidolon fighting they are expecting a Trinity or Harrow.  What would happen if an Equinox pops into the squad?

This wouldn't really do much to improve team composition at all, and people could easily use it to troll by say signing up an Excalibur as a healer because they have healing pads.

Finally this goes against the freedom of a lot of frames in this game.  DE made a lot of frames that simply don't fit into the "holy trinity" of archetypes.

2 hours ago, Atekron said:

Oh yes, lets just punish players if the hosts internet connection drops them out!  Such a great system!

With how many bad hosts there are all this would lead to is repeatedly losing all rewards and affinity gains because the host drops out and you're kicked back to Liset.
Way too punishing, and for absolutely no reason.

And again, if you want to find a group that is going to go 10/20/40 waves or whatever then use recruiting chat.
Its almost like you already have the tools to deal with all of your problems right there...

1 minute ago, Tsukinoki said:

First thing: That's what recruit chat is for.
You want a balanced team of specific composition?  Then use recruit chat and be done in 5 to 10 minutes at the most.
If you're pugging then expect randomness and not the perfect team comp.

Also who defines what?
For instance is Rhino DPS, Buff, or CC?
What about Equinox?  Healer or DPS?
From experience I would think that when people think healer in the terms of eidolon fighting they are expecting a Trinity or Harrow.  What would happen if an Equinox pops into the squad?

This wouldn't really do much to improve team composition at all, and people could easily use it to troll by say signing up an Excalibur as a healer because they have healing pads.

Finally this goes against the freedom of a lot of frames in this game.  DE made a lot of frames that simply don't fit into the "holy trinity" of archetypes.

Oh yes, lets just punish players if the hosts internet connection drops them out!  Such a great system!

With how many bad hosts there are all this would lead to is repeatedly losing all rewards and affinity gains because the host drops out and you're kicked back to Liset.
Way too punishing, and for absolutely no reason.

And again, if you want to find a group that is going to go 10/20/40 waves or whatever then use recruiting chat.
Its almost like you already have the tools to deal with all of your problems right there...

It's almost like using recruiting chat fixes 90% of his problems.

This is not Overwatch.

The very few activities (Triple Eidolon captures, dedicated farm groups, extreme endless missions) that require a more thoughtful team setup - or a team at all - can be handled perfectly with recruiting chat.

For everything else random is totally fine with me. On the contrary: a matchmaking tool would increase general waiting times.

It's hard enough for new players to find parties on some nodes already. This would basically be the end of the line for them.

If you say "It should be optional", then you kinda kill the idea since chat exists and if you have such specific needs then you're probably ok giving that a shot. If not, you probably don't care that much anyway. 

Matchmaking needs improving for sure, but not to be more granular. Matchmaking needs to give purpose to the 95% of the solar map nodes that become completely useless after you complete them for the first time. Alerts help but they aren't there all the time. This should also be something to benefit the new player experience which can suck at times with nodes sometimes being empty for a long time. (As a new player, good luck completing an Interception mission on your own) 

Having something like a "Guardian" system would be a great addition to matchmaking. You queue up and get paired with people doing a random node they haven't completed on their solar map.

• Opt-in for both parties
  • Unlocks at MR 10+ (For you to join them)
  • At the end you get a small reward for helping (Endo, Uncommon Resources, etc)

Hell... even a Random mission button would be AWESOME. It could use the same matchmaking pool for everyone using it in addition to people on empty nodes or nodes without full parties.

I'd like to see these options to specify intent:

Overall: Matchmaking (perhaps theme the terminology around Tenno or syndicate mission assigning concepts - so there could be better terms used to describe the options, to keep with the atmosphere and less like "game options")  This setting would be used regardless of all the other options provided.
with sub-options:

* Strict Matching: Yes/No (only use this guideline regardless of matchmaking time, or open the search up if the standard cannot be met in a timely manner)

* "Standard Formation": Match me with similar Mastery Rank / Hours Played
* "Offer Your Assistance": Match me with lower Mastery Rank / Hours Played  Up to 2 of 4 can be from this group when mixing with the next option:
* "Need More Experienced Team": Match me with those with higher Mastery Rank / Hours played. Especially picks from those choosing the above "offer your assistance" people. Matching will try to fill the team with at least 2 of the 4 with higher mastery ranked players choosing to group with lower ranked players.

(The following options are not all mutually exclusive - the matchmaking system would try to match you with people with similar settings) I'd also make this list of options available in a searchable manner like FFXI... with a section to put a comment as well. This would allow for searching for groups in an organized way, less chaotic than a chat channel... if you want to put a group together manually.

It occurred to me that a very general "Mission Objective Only / Rank Up / Resource Gathering" type setting could be put in to specify your overall objective, but I'll leave the more detailed options here:

* "Clear Node" - shows you're there for a specific objective and no more
with sub-options:

"Starchart node" (says you're not necessarily experienced with the map/difficulty expected, but want to just get through to clear it and move on)
"Clear Alert" (You want the reward for the alert, not extra stuff or more waves than needed)
"Clear Nightmare mode" (again, focused reason for going)
"Eidolon Hunt" (very specific... though I think this one deserves a separate option)
"Bounty" (keeping it less specific opens this to other "open world" bounty quests with Venus on the way.
etc.

* "Ranking up" - your purpose is to rank something up, so people know you're bringing less than perfect gear for a reason, and you don't intend to stay in endless missions once that stuff is ranked up to current maximum.

* "Gathering Resources" : Tells people that you are searching out crates and thoroughly wiping out the enemies in order to gather resources. You're not flying through the mission just to reach the objective. You're likely to appreciate people using frames/companions that increase drops.

* "Endless Limit" A selection of various time limits on how long you intend to stay. (for Survival/Defense/Excavation stuff) Maybe shorthand like "full rotation" for reward patterns, with help/explanation on screen.

* For Fissures: The Relic you desire to crack and if you require "radiant"/upgraded relics. (some just need the base level)
Sub-option: Minimum/Maximum "# of relics" in the case of endless missions where you can open more during the mission. This should lock those relics into being used when you que up, so everyone uses the same relics they say they will, at the right "radiance".  Setting a minimum number would obviously weed out only those with 1 relic if you want to crack at least 2, for instance; while setting a maximum will let people know how many you can bring to the table and not to expect you to go longer in an endless fissure.

Potentially:
* Host/Do not host (for people with exceptionally good or bad connections, that they are aware of)

Options that wouldn't help (me) at all:
* "Role" you want to play in a group. Too subjective and frames can handle multiple roles in different ways...

I may update this list at a later time.

Edited by (PS4)AyinDygra
Added the comments about FFXI's search system.