Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid without Pilfering Swarm useless?

Misfit53

I just got Hydroid Prime. Started playing him and having a lot of fun with his kit, I've only played him for less than a day and he's already climbing up to the 1rst place of my favorite ones. I'm a CC kind of guy, and even though most if not every Warframe has some form of CC to an extent, I find Hydroid really good at it. Each one of his abilities has a form of CC, making him perfect for my kind of playstyle.

But, as I wanted to go on Ophelia, Uranus, I came across 3 guys who happened to be there to farm, not casually do the mission. I'm not going to give their names, of course, because why would I, I'm just curious about my Warframe.

And there's my problem. I don't have the augment Pilfering Swarm, simply because I don't want it. So 2 of these guys were saying I just have to AFK and wait for 20 minutes because I don't have the mod. But why? Because I don't have the proper mod?

Like I told them, I know it's a gigantic mod for farming purposes, but I don't want it. I didn't build Hydroid just for farming, I did because I looked at his kit on Wiki and thought he would be perfect for me. I find building a Warframe just to farm with it pointless, I just want to have fun.

So that said, I have a few simple questions for more experienced players about Hydroid:

Did I really build Hydroid for nothing, unless I'm going to buy the augment? 

Can't Hydroid be played in a CC heavy role? And be good at it?

If Pilfering Swarm is the only good augment on Hydroid, why are there others available to him?

If the answer to the first question is yes, then Rip my Hydroid, I guess.

PS: No stupid replies please, I'm actually wanting to know if I can be useful to my team as Hydroid with my playstyle. Don't care if I'm right or wrong. It's not the point here.

Hydroid is a fine CC frame. People take farming too seriously sometimes. To tell you to AFK for 20minutes is just unnecessary and rude. Using him without the mod would NOT have made it harder for them to farm, they're just being butthurt tryhards who are too stupid to form a group or make the squad private.

Edited by AXCrusnik

Hydroid is very versatile. I personally love to use his curative undertow. With it you can heal up any damage you were given right back to full health and become a damage sponge for your team as well as being able to just suck up enemies for a while / heal members of your team that need it.

um i do have pilfering swarm but i hardly EVER use it personally of your looking for an augment you can use on my list i would use Curative undertow since the heal is always gonna cost 5 energy a tick and its i think 30% of hp for allies standing on you and 10% for your self for the same cost it helps you survive and it pulls your companion in too and if there a cat or dog and touching your puddle when you dived heals them too since if you being tied up by melee units use it you will heal and they will drown and if they do survive when you come back up there open to ground finishers

Don't let people dictate how you play hydroid augment or not he does good in the land of CC knock down galore though granted all his augments fill a supportive role now that i look at it 1 is free corrosive procs 2 is negative status removing 3 is healing 4 is looting. Just because Pilfering is The Metatm for farming doesn't mean your forced to follow it 24/7 cuz i don't and i have a blast pretending to be a space pirate with the zarr twin rogga and nami skyla prime the meta isnt a set of rules its a bunch of suggestions for if you want efficiency  

Edited by seprent
spelling mistakes

> just got my Hydroid P too, and this refresher got me leveling the right way 

> on console I’ve encountered a toxic (no other way to put it) Hydroid that wants to display his prowess. He verbally abused me for not following his lead. The abuse was so bad, worse than a botched spy sortie, so I see why this topic came about. Just let the salt pass from your body. 

> nothing is useless once you learn how to cosplay/ fashion your frame. because a relic run can turn into an exciting adventure.

some Hydroid ideas: 

https://imgur.com/gallery/xwjhzFk

Had fun cosplaying Mortal Kombat’s Shao Khan with the grineer hammer. You can also use the the grineer trident for Poseidon/Aquaman. The swords for pirate etc.

Hydroid is usless unless your using him solo, otherwise it relies way to much on having a good connection to the host to actualy have his abilitys do anything good other then getting enemys near you looking at you as if they are saying, "Are you dumb? Im not walking in that trap!! F you!!".

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Chel-El said:

> just got my Hydroid P too, and this refresher got me leveling the right way 

> on console I’ve encountered a toxic (no other way to put it) Hydroid that wants to display his prowess. He verbally abused me for not following his lead. The abuse was so bad, worse than a botched spy sortie, so I see why this topic came about. Just let the salt pass from your body. 

> nothing is useless once you learn how to cosplay/ fashion your frame. because a relic run can turn into an exciting adventure.

some Hydroid ideas: 

https://imgur.com/gallery/xwjhzFk

Had fun cosplaying Mortal Kombat’s Shao Khan with the grineer hammer. You can also use the the grineer trident for Poseidon/Aquaman. The swords for pirate etc.

Chel, you are an inspiration and a treasure.

Just now, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

This is the most accurate definition I've ever seen. +1 for that.

TBH i kinda ripped it from the game Warhammer 40k space marine i just twisted it alot said it once and it really fit so i kept it noted down for when people try to argue meta with me

and the quote i ripped it from is below

The Codex Astartes is a set of rules. They guide us. Shape us as Ultramarines. Teach us how to hold duty and honor sacred above all. But how we live with those rules is the true test of a Space Marine

So you went to a farming node and now you're complaining because you decided not to take the pilfer mod on hydroid. this is why you have a farming build and a general CC-build, take the pilfer on the efficient farming build and have it off for the CC-build. The Only reason to take hydroid to a resource farm node is to be a pilfer hydroid. Its like taking an ember to a farming node and having a full farming squad, its basically not effective.

Pilfering Swarm is a bonus if you're drop farming, and nothing more; Hydroid is plenty useful without it. Without knowing the full context, it sounds to me like they were annoyed that you weren't running the exact perfect setup for drop farming, which...strikes me as a little unreasonable to expect in a public game. So I say screw them.

3 minutes ago, NinthAria said:

Pilfering Swarm is a bonus if you're drop farming, and nothing more; Hydroid is plenty useful without it. Without knowing the full context, it sounds to me like they were annoyed that you weren't running the exact perfect setup for drop farming, which...strikes me as a little unreasonable to expect in a public game. So I say screw them.

“This is a public match” was exactly my response to the bully Hydroid 

If one wants a dedicated squad that will camp with the Hydroid setup then find one in recruiting chat, amirite? 

It’s unfair for those who came with their own set up to become a lackey to efficiency without their permission 

Alright, I didn't expect that many answers after just an hour. Welp. 

I'm glad to know Hydroid doesn't exist JUST for Pilfering swarm. I'll look more into wiki to know his numbers, some tips and tricks with him and such.

il y a 26 minutes, JaycemeSwain a dit :

So you went to a farming node and now you're complaining because you decided not to take the pilfer mod on hydroid. this is why you have a farming build and a general CC-build, take the pilfer on the efficient farming build and have it off for the CC-build. The Only reason to take hydroid to a resource farm node is to be a pilfer hydroid. Its like taking an ember to a farming node and having a full farming squad, its basically not effective.

No, I went on this node because I wanted to complete the mission and move to the next. I didn't want to farm, and I'm not confident enough to play alone in a survival mission, even for 5 minutes, hence the public matchmaking setting.

Edited by Misfit53

1 minute ago, Misfit53 said:

No, I went on this node because I wanted to complete the mission and move to the next. I didn't want to farm

So then do the node solo, Ophelia & Assur on Uranus are FARMING nodes. So don't complain because you took a non farming build to a well known farming node just to complete the mission. This problem is more a you problem and not a community problem.

il y a 1 minute, JaycemeSwain a dit :

So then do the node solo, Ophelia & Assur on Uranus are FARMING nodes. So don't complain because you took a non farming build to a well known farming node just to complete the mission. This problem is more a you problem and not a community problem.

I don't know all the farming nodes yet, simply because I don't have enough experience in the game. I just unlocked Uranus.

5 minutes ago, JaycemeSwain said:

Looks like i've been playing the game wrong from the beginning, i didn't know that if I just started out the first thing i should do is look up whether or not the node is a "FARMING" node. woopsies totes a noobie mistake.

sarcasm intensifies

Edited by Xico.xide
Typo

1 hour ago, Misfit53 said:

I just got Hydroid Prime. Started playing him and having a lot of fun with his kit, I've only played him for less than a day and he's already climbing up to the 1rst place of my favorite ones. I'm a CC kind of guy, and even though most if not every Warframe has some form of CC to an extent, I find Hydroid really good at it. Each one of his abilities has a form of CC, making him perfect for my kind of playstyle.

But, as I wanted to go on Ophelia, Uranus, I came across 3 guys who happened to be there to farm, not casually do the mission. I'm not going to give their names, of course, because why would I, I'm just curious about my Warframe.

And there's my problem. I don't have the augment Pilfering Swarm, simply because I don't want it. So 2 of these guys were saying I just have to AFK and wait for 20 minutes because I don't have the mod. But why? Because I don't have the proper mod?

Like I told them, I know it's a gigantic mod for farming purposes, but I don't want it. I didn't build Hydroid just for farming, I did because I looked at his kit on Wiki and thought he would be perfect for me. I find building a Warframe just to farm with it pointless, I just want to have fun.

So that said, I have a few simple questions for more experienced players about Hydroid:

Did I really build Hydroid for nothing, unless I'm going to buy the augment? 

Can't Hydroid be played in a CC heavy role? And be good at it?

If Pilfering Swarm is the only good augment on Hydroid, why are there others available to him?

If the answer to the first question is yes, then Rip my Hydroid, I guess.

PS: No stupid replies please, I'm actually wanting to know if I can be useful to my team as Hydroid with my playstyle. Don't care if I'm right or wrong. It's not the point here.

The issue is that mostly Hydroid doesn't have a niche without his augments, which does lose him progression mods due to his design. You are going to be so-so crowd control without augments like Pilfering Swarm which opens Hydroid to being a looter enabler; Curative Undertow, which makes Hydroid a life percentage based short range healer; and Corrosive Barrage to be a debuffer. Hydroid can still be a decent warframe at such crowd control without, but in a team environment, players are going to want players to either fit a role or be able to dip their toes into several niches a little to help. An extra gun is always handy, and in that aspect, I think your team was being uncouth to suggest you go afk; but due to the way DE has designed Hydroid, he can't actually do what his moves need to without taking a dive into augments.

9 minutes ago, Misfit53 said:

Alright, I didn't expect that many answers after just an hour. Welp. 

I'm glad to know Hydroid doesn't exist JUST for Pilfering swarm. I'll look more into wiki to know his numbers, some tips and tricks with him and such.

No, I went on this node because I wanted to complete the mission and move to the next. I didn't want to farm, and I'm not confident enough to play alone in a survival mission, even for 5 minutes, hence the public matchmaking setting.

Nothing wrong with any of that; a node is a node and not all missions are that easy to do solo with any off the top; just make sure when you team to ask the other players what they are going for, just because you are a Hydroid doesn't mean you have the mod points, mod, or slots for such a build - and not all Hydroids are Pilfering! - just make sure to talk to the random allies you have been given and often enough, players will understand that Random is not an optimized type situation and just run the run. Even though Hydroid does lack at his roles without augments, it doesn't mean you have to build him with augments or should feel forced by others to do so, play the warframes that you like, or the way you like them.

il y a 2 minutes, Urlan a dit :

Nothing wrong with any of that; a node is a node and not all missions are that easy to do solo with any off the top; just make sure when you team to ask the other players what they are going for, just because you are a Hydroid doesn't mean you have the mod points, mod, or slots for such a build - and not all Hydroids are Pilfering! - just make sure to talk to the random allies you have been given and often enough, players will understand that Random is not an optimized type situation and just run the run. Even though Hydroid does lack at his roles without augments, it doesn't mean you have to build him with augments or should feel forced by others to do so, play the warframes that you like, or the way you like them.

The problem is that when I clicked on the node, it made me join an already started game, so no time to change to another Warframe.

And I forgot to reply to someone:

il y a une heure, seprent a dit :

i have a blast pretending to be a space pirate with the zarr twin rogga and nami skyla prime

I'll be honest. I listen to Alestorm (pirate metal) and when I saw him I just felt like a child who was going to have a pirate costume. I also called my loadout "Yarrrrr" as soon as I equipped him for the first time.

2 hours ago, JaycemeSwain said:

No, you're a good example of why it's a community problem. 

How is a new player supposed to know those are farming nodes? 

There are no signs posted in mission, no disclaimer pip up when someone selects it.  It's just known by vets that those are good farming points. 

Instead of the people who use it as a farming node going solo to prevent situations like this, somehow, new players are magically supposed to know to go solo instead? 

Naw. Take responsibility and think before telling someone how to play.

Games aren't a job.  This is leisure time.

you shouldn't play the most EFFICIENT way possible; you should be playing the FUNNEST way possible.

for some people, they're the same thing, and that's fine.  but to each their own.

edit: inb4 'Funnest isn't a word.'  lots of words weren't words before we used them.

Edited by LarryYourWaiter

Hydroid can tank, strip armor, CC, heal, cleanse and DPS, he's far from useless outside of farming.

A better example of a useless frame would be Wukong, but even he can do some meme stufff with an Arca Titron. 

Edited by cowpunter
remembered more to say