July 11Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Community Hot Topics July 11th  

1,904 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stats on Cosmetics
The dev team does not wish to explore stats on cosmetics any time soon, but players are frequently interested in discussing the pros and cons of having stats on cosmetic items. These topics often include discussions about what kinds of bonuses would be appropriate for cosmetics and how they would impact gameplay. Even though this is not an idea we intend to pursue at this time, vote in the poll to see what your fellow community members think! 

Please discuss this topic in the source thread:

ysMuPEs.png

Warframe Balance
Scott has mentioned several times that Oberon is next in line for a rework, so lets discuss what players are saying about him! We’ve read a lot of varying comments about how each of Oberon’s abilities should be changed. So, because this is such a broad topic, lets start by prioritizing which abilities you think need the most work (we can post discussions about other Warframes after Oberon is finished). We’ll discuss the top choices in the next Community Hot Topics. Please vote in the poll! 

YvqQkVQ.png

Challenge Level
Warframe’s difficulty is another broad topic category. A lot of players suggest ways to improve solo play, high-level play, and several other areas of play. The new T4 void missions have sparked discussions about what a proper challenge should feel like. The dev team has stated that it does not want to turn enemies into “meat bags” that can take a ludicrous amount of damage before they die, but a common complaint is that enemies hit so hard that there isn’t enough time to react before getting downed. Players have been offering plenty of varying suggestions on how to improve the challenge level.  Answer the poll to voice your opinion about Warframe’s challenge level, and we can discuss the results in a future Community Hot Topics. 

Please discuss this topic in the source threads:
aTUt4G0.png

Knockdown and Handspring
This topic has been around for awhile, and it is fairly straightforward: do you like the idea of a handspring mechanic to counter being knocked down? Spring to the top of the page to answer the poll!     

WUqTgrM.png

Parkour/ Mobility
Players have been suggesting ways to improve the movement mechanics in Warframe for a long time. Lets start this topic by figuring out how much improvement players think is needed, then we can discuss some suggestions in a future Community Hot Topics. Answer in the poll above. 

mYjRinL.png

Systemic Overhauls
Many dedicated players have posted in-depth and thoughtful overhauls for many aspects of Warframe, including stealth, mods, parkour, combat, missions, AI, and almost every other part of Warframe. The dev team works hard to ensure that each major update includes massive iterative improvements to Warframe (for example, the new player experience for our current issues with massive difficulty curve and lack of immersion, quests for goal oriented gameplay with set outcomes upon completion, and player ships in U14 for immersion and less overwhelming UI). After U14 launches, we can include some of those player suggestions in the Community Hot Topics so we can see how the community feels about the ideas presented by their fellow players. In the meantime, here are some handy threads you may not have had on your radar about.

jqZWtB8.png

after much deliberation (ok, much traveling and working), here are my thoughts on the New And Improved Hot-Topics.

Feedback on the New Format:

Thank you Drew, thank you Rebecca and thank you Devs, this format has much greater potential for selecting actual hot-topics and gathering feedback on those topics. It's a great footprint, and no-doubt a lot more work.

However, what happens in-between/after a Hot-Topics thread is even more important than the thread itself.

It Takes Two to Tango

A conversation requires two participants. The hot-topics system shouldn't just be a way to bring dev attention to player opinion/feedback.

As we've seen with the "better dumb enemies" devstream reply, a simple miscommunication can result in the unified opinion of hundreds (or thousands) of players being inadvertently brushed off.

A one sentence reply from nearly any player could have clarified the issue so that the Dev's could see how differently many of us experienced [an_issue] than they do. But there was no channel for that reply.

Feedback on Feedback (on feedback)

Getting dev replies to consolidated player feedback (polls and posts) from the prior hot-topics thread would be a solid start.

Sometimes their reply might be positive, other times, it may be a followup question, quoting one of the more "supported" comments in the feedback thread. Drew, you might even make a poll to let the community answer a Dev follow up question. "Why is Hallowed Ground most in need of rework?"

And if a dev doesn't agree with a poll or strongly supported player "movement", this would be a great opportunity to explain why. We're not expecting all of their time or resources, but a paragraph in reply to a "certified hot topic" which we could then reply to, would be a massive step forward.

This conversation would continue, once per 'hot topics' until the issue is sufficiently understood by both sides (whether at a consensus or not).

One In, One Out

For this to work, clearly there will have to be a finite number of hot-topics at a time. If they are popular enough, new topics could "bump" older topics out of the queue, to be brought up again when there aren't a lot of popular new topics.

Thoughts?

Edited by notionphil

In regards to the handspring mechanic. It should not be a mod, maybe with parkour 2.0 we can get some sort of training done which will allow us to do new moves in different situations after completing some training and challenge. That way it is skill based, something this game needs a bit more of

I can't believe that people have even suggested having stats on cosmetic items after everything that happened in regards to Arcane helmets. They're called cosmetics for a reason- they don't alter stats. You should spend Platinum (essentially real money) to look cooler, not to be more powerful than others. It's as if people WANT Warframe to become a pay-to-win game. On another note, thanks Drew for the new format, I like it a lot! The poll will be very useful for both the community and the devs.

Parkoor need a little bit of flow, to many animations starts and ends not in right place or time.

Cosmetics should add stats, but not as much as helmets did. not +30% or even 10%

Each piece shoud add +1-2% or +10 armor and decrease other stats and some should decrease armor, so by getting a  compleate pack of helmet\armor\syandana you will fulfill the designed pupose and get some buff as DE intended, but if you want to use them just for looks, combined randomly they wont make any big diffrence.

Whole set of cosmetics for Valkyr should add +5% armor and -5% shields, i am talking about clompleate set Chest Shoulder Legs Helmet Syandana. 1% each part, it woud be nice and can be used in some builds but wond make a lot of people who wont spent platinum angry. And if someone just like armor but want to use another helmet it wont ruin his build.

Voting system is kinda wrong, 

Some of questions are kinda wrong. Some challenges are hard when you starting, a lot of them could be cheater, you can rush thru any mission with starter loki, and a lot of challenges are not really balanced for "mid" game. 1x10rank user can carry 3x0rank noobs on T4 defence...

And Oberon powers can balanced as a whole, all his powers are weak, but if you will, for example, add corrosive status for Grounds power wich will make all enemies without armor(after some time on affected area) and will add viral damage type for his ultimate, it will make a lot of sence. and all damage numbers can be kept at same level. just from top of my had. and renewal can be just constant and ignore max hp of warframes, but slowly drain if exeeds max hp amount and depending on how much it exeeds maximum amount. And it should be spammable, so good oberon can add all teammates 1000hp every 1 min but it will drain at 100hp per second if it more that 200% of current max hp, and drain for a 10% per second if it near 150% of maximum health

Edited by GCoda

Great new format!! Parkour 2.0 is very needed (Stealth 2.0 too) & Oberon definitely needs some tweaks (Nekros too).

Still wondering : who voted against the knockdown recovery?... -_-

Edited by unknow99

I like the new system you guys have, though I would like some to have a "No Opinion" option, for example: I did vote on everything, however, I have no prior experience with Oberon whatsoever, so I have no real experience on his powers to have a proper opinion, so I had to pick one of the four to complete my vote.  Other than that, I'm liking the new system! Keep it up you guys.

Whole set of cosmetics for Valkyr should add +5% armor and -5% shields, i am talking about clompleate set Chest Shoulder Legs Helmet Syandana. 1% each part, it woud be nice and can be used in some builds but wond make a lot of people who wont spent platinum angry. And if someone just like armor but want to use another helmet it wont ruin his build.

This is a horrible idea, so to have the best stats I have to look a certain way? No thanks.

new format is ok, but only active forum users vote in the polls, this does not completely reflect the entire playerbase.

therefore, off it's possible, make a survey pop up after players log out of the game like once every three months.

also some questions could be phrased better, e.g. the difficulty question. I answered "too easy" because iig you always play lijn a squad of 4 (experienced players) the game is ridiculously easy. However if you play solo some missions are much harder and there is even a chance that you will die. So what answer to pick then?

Edited by Frostosti

I can't believe that people have even suggested having stats on cosmetic items after everything that happened in regards to Arcane helmets. They're called cosmetics for a reason- they don't alter stats. You should spend Platinum (essentially real money) to look cooler, not to be more powerful than others. It's as if people WANT Warframe to become a pay-to-win game. On another note, thanks Drew for the new format, I like it a lot! The poll will be very useful for both the community and the devs.

this^!

Cosmetics Should NOT! have stats on them, they are called cosmetic for a reason.

1. cos·met·ic
    käzˈmetik/  
    adjective
    adjective: cosmetic
    1. 1.
      involving or relating to treatment intended to restore or improve a person's appearance.
      "cosmetic surgery"
      • designed or serving to improve the appearance of the body, especially the face.
        "lens designs can improve the cosmetic effect of your glasses"
      • affecting only the appearance of something rather than its substance.
        "the reform package was merely a cosmetic exercise"
        synonyms: superficial, surface, skin-deep, outward, exterior, external More
        "most of the changes were merely cosmetic"
    noun
    noun: cosmetic; plural noun: cosmetics
    1. 1.
      a product applied to the body, especially the face, to improve its appearance.
      synonyms: makeup, beauty products, beauty aids; More
      informalwar paint;
      "a new range of cosmetics"

Cosmetics are only ment to make yourself look cooler, and only give yourself an edge by looking sexy, not giveing yourself a gameplay edge, that would turn this game into a pay to win.

New format looks good so far.

As for the handspring mechanic.

Similar to manual melee, i think this is something that should have been in the game a long time ago, like the beginning of open beta. Considering how many enemies in the game allready had a knockback attack and how many more were added over the course of open beta it amazes me how the devs could see nothing wrong with it?

What confused me more was that Loki in the open beta trailer actualy performs a quick jump up after getting knocked back by a Grineer (1.13).

But instead we have everything from Mag to Rhino having to slowly crawl back up without being able to do anything. Not very agile space-ninja like eh?

So yeah i hope they can make something cool but also simple with that and maybe some experiments with mods, like a mod that allows mid air recovery.

Voting system is kinda wrong, 

I actualy hope this isn't really a vote, as in deciding something. I rather hope this is about collecting our opinion. It's their right as devs to go against the majority of what people would like. But with these pools we can at least indicate what a general opinion among the players is thinking or prefering.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/245184-indie-approach-to-procedural-animation-clever-ways-to-animate-and-how-this-relates-to-wf/

That's how I feel about the Parcour-topic

I generally hate the rigid and stiff animations/movement we currently have. Often you can't move the way you'd expect to be able to...  and on other situations you are able to trigger quite ridiculous glitches/bugs/stuff because the char doesn't really adapt to it's surroundings. Aure7 has covered most of the problems quite well in his Megathread.

Cosmetics Should NOT! have stats on them, they are called cosmetic for a reason.

I'm with Senketsu on that topic.

Edited by MeduSalem

Is it just me, or did the hot topics turn from DE talking about plans for the future, fixes, and future content to just creating a whack of threads for the community to discuss things that already have/are already currently being discussed

This question is a bit tricky: Do you like the idea of a handspring mechanic when knocked down?

If you mean, do I like the idea of having a mod, called Handspring, for faster recovery, then my answer is 'No'.

If you mean wheter I like the idea in general for being able to get up faster, then the answer is 'Yes'.

In short, Handspring shouldn't be a mod, but an action executed on a well timed input, in my opinion.

EDIT: You can leave the mod ingame, off course, for those who don't want to be bothered with timed actions.

Edited by KingTaro

I must say I'm liking the changes to the format. It's much more interactive with the community and increase exposure not only on issues, but actual discussion brought by the community, while also giving exposure to concerned topics. Much appreciated from your parts. Thank you very much!

I don't think I'll add anything much in terms of feedback to the points since most people summed up a lot of what I wanted to say. But anyway, have a good weekend!

Do you think cosmetic items should modify stats?

No, BUT I have no objection to using cosmetic items - provided they're obtainable in-game, rather than enforcing Pay to Win - as a means of unlocking stat options independent of the cosmetics. It encourages working to improve your character.

For example, removing the stats from Arcane helmets and allowing players to activate the stats that were on them separately.

Which Oberon abilities do you think need to be changed the most?

All of them, although Reckoning is the lesser evil. Even so, Reckoning does have the issue of relying on RNG to heal players for very little, not to mention a bad habit of being spammed because it's the most efficient of his damaging skills (not to say the skill itself is terribly efficient - it gets spammed, after all). I wouldn't object to seeing the skill roll for health orbs on every cast, or even just dropping the orb mechanic for some kind of direct execution mechanic.

Hallowed Ground can't work without some kind of anti-mobility CC to enemies or buff to allies standing in the field; there's simply nothing to make anyone on either side stand in it. Some utility would seriously encourage its use, rather than just a narrow patch of damage.

Renewal is simply too weak for its cost - it could just as well be an instant heal, but it has travel time and an unnecessary duration. It could be a standard heal-over-time, but it breaks if you reach health cap and reduces its duration as it's improved, which also break its potential to buff allies. I'm a fan of the school of thought that it should be a toggled heal-over-time radiating a set distance from Oberon, rather than just giving it so many delaying elements.

Smite is just... awful. Not only does it have the precise targeting mechanics that made Soul Punch so annoying for Nekros, but the secondary projectiles it shoots are just too random; they initially aim at nearby enemies, but they move too slowly to actually hit them, instead hitting every wall and bouncing off in unpredictable directions. The bouncing projectiles just seem like an odd attachment.

Oberon also suffers from two issues that don't directly target his abilities: His unusual damage combo making his output rather niche, and the fact that he was advertised as a paladin (in spite of a lack of any mitigation, and his weakness against Infested). I'd recommend shifting his focus from Radiation/Impact to Radiation/Slash, and tweaking Radiation to be more anti-Infested (as they are made up of tumors).

All in all, Oberon needs to lose some weaknesses. As levels improve, all he brings to the table is that 2-second ragdoll on Reckoning; his other damage skills rely on enemies naturally being slow, he has little more survivability than the majority of casters, and his emphasis on flat damage values is executed in a way that gives him an early upper limit on all skills.

What do you think of Warframe’s Challenge level?

It faces both extremes, often at inopportune times. Nightmare Modes, for example: Reduced Gravity doesn't even register as a challenge (and actually makes coptering easier), but then you can have challenges like Shield Drain on an already squishy frame.

Suspicious Shipments is a good example: enemies died in one hit, but they could one-hit you as well.

Do you like the idea of a handspring mechanic when knocked down?

I think it's a good start to eliminating useless or gimmicky mods.

Edited by Archwizard