Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mirage's Eclipse dependency on light intensity.

[DE]Grzegorz

Standing in light, Mirage deals heavy damage, while the shadows make Mirage difficult to track and even harder to hurt.

However as it stands, there's a very important trait of the ability:

The actual buff percentage is heavily dependent on the intensity of the light or darkness.

This mechanic is mentioned literally nowhere in the game, the UI percentages do not reflect the actual effects of the ability, instead it always displays the maximum values for particular lighting conditions which is highly misleading.

That all on top of the extremely arbitrary dependence on lighting conditions that often times do not match the environments (getting damage buff while in shadows or reduction while in light).

As such, few things could be done:

• The ability should reflect the actual buff values in the UI OR the scaling mechanic should be removed to always provide maximum buff regardless of light intensity.
  • The ability should receive improvements to its ability to distinguish light from darkness OR the control should be given to the player, turning Eclipse into tap/hold ability to switch modes or activate it.
  • Like 1

Tbh, the light/dark mechanic is completely out of place and could be used as another theme for a future frame.

Rebalance the values, remove dark/light mechanic, that's it.

Make her eclipse switch forms through a certain action. (Like a circle shrinking towards her when crouching or something, then when it finishes, change form). Maybe have buffs scale by repeatedly switching forms, on a short cooldown.

WAIT WHAT IT WASN'T AT MAX!? 

ffs I was used to standing near geometry where the light and dark get close so I could jump into the dark if need be so, does this mean i haven't been getting my 500% damage buff :((

This just really shows the problem with eclipse then, close to 875 hours in warframe and I still didn't know.

I would prefer the buff be governed by a sliding scale of your energy color's brightness. For example: 

• Dark colors increases damage more than DR
  • Light colors increases DR more than damage
  • And everything in between, sliding one way or the other depending on the brightness of your chosen energy color.

The only control it needs: An augment for her 4 that lets you invert the buffs when you use the blind from it.

Other than that, changing the Light/Dark effect to simply be binary instead of a sliding scale based on the light intensity of where your standing should be done -or- the strength of the buff on hand should show the scaled effect.

Anything else just boils down to l2p, and if you can't, maybe give Rhino or Saryn a try, might be more your speed.

Instead of being a single-use mine, perhaps they could change her Sleight of Hand into a beacon that either gives off or absorbs light (hold to swap between modes), allowing you to manually override and control the light/dark in an area in exchange for an extra bit of energy (the core ability to just rely on the environment would remain intact).

At the very least, it would be nice if they added some visual element(s) to make light and dark areas more more defined while Eclipse is active, since the visuals for what counts as a light/dark area don't always seem to match up with what the ability considers them to be (not to mention I'm fairly sure one's graphics settings can further muddle things up).

I wasn't aware this is how eclipse works. But mirage is probably my least liked frame so whatever. Honestly I just don't get why she is liked at all.

Eclipse is awkward, the little trap ability is awkward, the disco ball bounces around like crazy and is generally awkward and aiming with her clones is awkward.

She just feels really... awkward... to me. I get that her clones make for some great combos but she just isn't fun for me. 

Maybe someone can change my mind, I dunno. I have been trying to get good with all the frames but mirage just hasn't clicked. 

Something has to be done, Seeing her kit got me so excited, having 580% damage on her eclipse yet only doing about double my actual damage on the other hand did not, for now i'm going to bench her as it's just too random for my taste. Maybe if it was actually dynamic and the buff numbers changed, at least that way we could look at it from time to time and see how much it actually gave us in the different tilesets because I've yet to see my damage be even remotely close to the max, makes me wonder if there's even a single location in the game where the light levels are considered max and you get the damage it says you get.

On 2018-09-10 at 12:53 AM, felixsylvaris said:

It would be great if we can cach the light or darkness and keep the buff, not being so dependant of map tile.

Need to find shaddy or lit place is enought gimmick.

This would be nice, cast in a light area for damage or dark for Dr and keep it u til the ability expires.

On 2018-09-09 at 8:19 AM, JuicyButthurt said:

However as it stands, there's a very important trait of the ability:

The actual buff percentage is heavily dependent on the intensity of the light or darkness.

This mechanic is mentioned literally nowhere in the game, the UI percentages do not reflect the actual effects of the ability, instead it always displays the maximum values for particular lighting conditions which is highly misleading.

That all on top of the extremely arbitrary dependence on lighting conditions that often times do not match the environments (getting damage buff while in shadows or reduction while in light).

As such, few things could be done:

• The ability should reflect the actual buff values in the UI OR the scaling mechanic should be removed to always provide maximum buff regardless of light intensity.
  • The ability should receive improvements to its ability to distinguish light from darkness OR the control should be given to the player, turning Eclipse into tap/hold ability to switch modes or activate it.

Welcome to nearly a year of complaints about this:

Here's a post with screenshots in Simulacrum in which 508% power strength only gives you around 2.5x in damage boost. If you don't get max light values in Simulacrum despite being nearly blinding in there then I don't think it's achievable in a reliable or consistent way. She's extremely fragile and can't even use her abilities properly/reliably no matter how hard you push for ability strength.

Edited by Jarriaga

Well now ik that all mirage has is her clones, eclipse is still the second best ability in her kit but now ik its not as good as the UI advertises, lighting in warframe isn't even that accurate if I can stand in the bright as hell simulacrum and only get a buff of around 2.5x when my UI buff says it should be near 550%

19 minutes ago, birdobash said:

Well now ik that all mirage has is her clones, eclipse is still the second best ability in her kit but now ik its not as good as the UI advertises, lighting in warframe isn't even that accurate if I can stand in the bright as hell simulacrum and only get a buff of around 2.5x when my UI buff says it should be near 550%

Indeed. And I think the main problem is that adding more ability strength only adds to the maximum theoretical buff, but it doesn't close the gap by increasing the minimum buff. I'm using her less and less now because of this.

2 hours ago, DarkwarriorJ said:

Mirage needs a full rework when it comes to light/dark effects and her abilities. I mean, it'd be bad enough if it was situationally binary, but that it isn't even that? It's absurd. She's a warframe that I really, really, really want to like and use... but I just don't.

This is so sad, alexa, play despacito 2.

But srsly, it is pretty disappointing, although I guess you can still try and play her with the knowledge that her eclipse is false in the UI. I mean the fact that I never noticed means shes not "awful" just not as good as advertised.

Shes still a great weapon buffer and its always fun to shoot 2 extra guns, just means shes like 40% less or something.

7 hours ago, birdobash said:

This is so sad, alexa, play despacito 2.

But srsly, it is pretty disappointing, although I guess you can still try and play her with the knowledge that her eclipse is false in the UI. I mean the fact that I never noticed means shes not "awful" just not as good as advertised.

Shes still a great weapon buffer and its always fun to shoot 2 extra guns, just means shes like 40% less or something.

The eclipse buff problem applies to dark zones as well. I'm constantly one-shot in the plains at night, so 95% damage reduction is far from the truth.

Edited by Jarriaga

It used to be quite useful when the Void was the staple of content, before buffers became dime a dozen (and didn't require light or standing in each other's armpits to buff).

This mechanic might be revamped at some point because IMO no control, means no fun.

Edited by Synpai