Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can someone explain......

krome4284

Cross-play -  The only excuse I have seen that makes sense, and it is a greedy reason, is that they use PC as a hotbed for their new updates to create hotfixes for the update release of consoles. \Why not just pay for playtesters for their game in order to keep all platforms up to date simultaneously? I play on PC, and I give 2 sh*ts about being "ahead" on updates vs consoles if it means I cant play with my old console buds. With DE's hands are understandably tied when it comes to account transferring (console dictators MS and Sony), you would think that they would try their hardest to make cross-play a reality. Fortnite has shown that keeping all platforms up-to-date at the same time is possible. 

Hire some playtesters, delay the PC updates to match those on consoles, enable crossplay. PVP isnt even a concern in this game as much as it is on Fortnite, and Fortnite has already shown ways to do PVP with crossplay between platforms. 

If there is something I'm missing, someone please tell me in the comments with a FACTUAL argument. 

Because PC can be updated quickly, whereas consoles cannot. DE is not a large team, making a AAA-level independent game that's free to play with an extreme focus on consumer-friendliness. They only have so much money and time, and since PC as a test server is better than any playtesters they can hire, it's better in the long run for them to do it this way.

9 minutes ago, krome4284 said:

Cross-play -  The only excuse I have seen that makes sense, and it is a greedy reason, is that they use PC as a hotbed for their new updates to create hotfixes for the update release of consoles. \Why not just pay for playtesters for their game in order to keep all platforms up to date simultaneously? I play on PC, and I give 2 sh*ts about being "ahead" on updates vs consoles if it means I cant play with my old console buds. With DE's hands are understandably tied when it comes to account transferring (console dictators MS and Sony), you would think that they would try their hardest to make cross-play a reality. Fortnite has shown that keeping all platforms up-to-date at the same time is possible. 

Hire some playtesters, delay the PC updates to match those on consoles, enable crossplay. PVP isnt even a concern in this game as much as it is on Fortnite, and Fortnite has already shown ways to do PVP with crossplay between platforms. 

If there is something I'm missing, someone please tell me in the comments with a FACTUAL argument. 

For those that don't want to click that link From Letter13 who  is a Community Moderator:

Until DE says Crossplay is going to happen, crossplay is not going to happen.

"Hoping it could happen" is not confirmation that it will happen.

Moreover, crossplay between PC and consoles is simply not possible given DEs development method (release hotfixes and updates immediately on PC, whole compiling hotfixes and updates on consoles to release a large batch at once to streamline the certification process). As long as two platforms are running different versions/revisions of the game, crossplay is not possible between those platforms due to differences in game data. Consoles cannot catch up to the PC's revision level unless PC hotfixes and updates are delayed, which is something DE has promised will not happen (delaying PC hotfixes and updates also means that consoles will get a much buggier experience).

So does that give you a good enough reason why crossplay isn't here. And we've not even gone into the idea of the PC community wanting to be apart of the Console community which personally, I hope never happens, keep the cesspit on consoles please.

Edited by Joe_Barbarian

After a bit of research (on reddit), I believe the issue lies with the way Console updates are handled. The manufacturers (Microsoft and Sony) want to have everything right the first time, which means very few (if any) bugs. Of course, that just isn't how Warframe works, as you probably know. The issue lies with the fact that Warframe has a relatively small team, meaning they can't afford to host a PBR like other games, or bugfix the hell out of the patch before release. Thus, they just dump the update onto PC, hotfix all the major bugs, then deploy the now debugged version of the update to consoles later. It saves money at the cost of a little bit of player convenience.

This is the rather helpful article I read: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4pwedj/why_do_console_patches_take_so_much_time_and/

15 minutes ago, krome4284 said:

14 minutes ago, krome4284 said:

The only excuse I have seen that makes sense, and it is a greedy reason, is that [...]

You could hold yourself to the same standards and not speculate while demanding more from others.

36 minutes ago, (PS4)ChiefDevilEggs said:

I just want to be able to use my account on my Switch when it comes out...

...that is all I want.

This isn't out of the question since they allowed an account migration from PC to console when Warframe released on Xbox and PS, though it was a one time thing due to the builds being in sync.

Just now, Starfreak911 said:

This isn't out of the question since they allowed an account migration from PC to console when Warframe released on Xbox and PS, though it was a one time thing due to the builds being in sync.

38 minutes ago, (PS4)ChiefDevilEggs said:

I just want to be able to use my account on my Switch when it comes out...

...that is all I want.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but you'll be able to copy your PC account to Switch. Xbox and Sony have to do their own migration to the Switch so all that I know is it's just PC -> Switch.

What I mean copy is you'll get a complete copy of your account onto the switch and then it'll be it's own independent Switch account so you won't lose your PC account you'll have both to progress with.

8 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but you'll be able to copy your PC account to Switch. Xbox and Sony have to do their own migration to the Switch so all that I know is it's just PC -> Switch.

What I mean copy is you'll get a complete copy of your account onto the switch and then it'll be it's own independent Switch account so you won't lose your PC account you'll have both to progress with.

I would expect there to be some limitations, like I doubt Plat would transfer. But outside of that I would expect it to be an pretty strait copy to the Switch Warframe account. 

Could be completely unrelated, but not long after Sony announced cross play, something changed recently in the forums and I now show up as a PC user ( even thou I'm on PS4 ). Others noticed the same thing.

Fingers crossed that DE is already looking at this and preparing for cross platform 🙂

( one can hope .. )

11 minutes ago, (PS4)xtharbadx said:

Could be completely unrelated, but not long after Sony announced cross play, something changed recently in the forums and I now show up as a PC user ( even thou I'm on PS4 ). Others noticed the same thing.

Fingers crossed that DE is already looking at this and preparing for cross platform 🙂

( one can hope .. )

You still have (PS4) at the start of your name. All the Consoles may get linked together but they won't be linked with PC because of the stated reason in my first post here by Letter13.

1 hour ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

You still have (PS4) at the start of your name.

Yes, but below shows "PC Member", whereas before it showed "PSN membe"r ( most PS4 users still show PSN member, others show PC ). Something changed that's for sure. Likely completely unrelated, but a reason for us console bastards to hope for 🙂

they won't be linked with PC because of the stated reason in my first post here by Letter13.

The stated reason is basically because DE doesn't (or didn't) want to, not because it can't be done.

1 minute ago, (PS4)xtharbadx said:

The stated reason is basically because DE doesn't (or didn't) want to, not because it can't be done.

Yeah because pampering to the whims of "CROSS PLAY RIGHT MEOW" means everyone will get a even buggier version of bugwarframe. Also you then got to consider many different factors such as current player markets will be affected etc;

Also the question to ask is, does the PC community really want to be apart of the console community? I'm of the opinion that it's more consoles want to cross play with PC for the latest updates because they are too impatient for PC users to be their beta testers.

For you people who are petty, and dont want to play with console players, many crossplay games have options that allow playing with your platform only. This is a feature many people want, and it takes 1 google search to confirm the amount of repeated posts over this topic.

@Joe_Barbarian I gave a reason OTHERS have been spewing out. I, however, have YET to speculate anything. This post was made because I DO T KNOW WHY they havent released this feature. Learn to read boi. Give me a reason, that DE have given, that they cant hire a test team instead of using pc as a free source for testing their annoying buggy patches? It sure as hell isnt because they arent earning enough money, according to LeYou's annual report.

53 minutes ago, krome4284 said:

For you people who are petty, and dont want to play with console players, many crossplay games have options that allow playing with your platform only. This is a feature many people want, and it takes 1 google search to confirm the amount of repeated posts over this topic.

@Joe_Barbarian I gave a reason OTHERS have been spewing out. I, however, have YET to speculate anything. This post was made because I DO T KNOW WHY they havent released this feature. Learn to read boi. Give me a reason, that DE have given, that they cant hire a test team instead of using pc as a free source for testing their annoying buggy patches? It sure as hell isnt because they arent earning enough money, according to LeYou's annual report.

You asked a question people gave you an answer. You're not happy with that answer then that on you 'boi'. If you don't understand the difference between having over hundred thousand testers than hiring a small dedicated testing team (That would still miss stuff) Then are you sure you'll fully understand all the reasons warframe is why it is right now?

I'm sure there was something DE said about them not wanting to delay PC updates just to match consoles. If they were able to update consoles faster, they would, but the console cert is what's holding them up. While there are some "PC PLAYERS" (keyword) that wouldn't mind updates being delayed, that's not the majority of us.

18 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

I'm not sold on crossplay nor crossdressing, PC always act like they are the "Elite" force in gaming and have a natural arrogance to them. we all know as time goes on more and more companies will abandon pc, due to them being thieves 

You got PC and Console mixed up. 

@Joe_Barbarian The reasons are obvious pleb. After updating a game, there is always a plethora of game breaking bugs that they take hours or days to fix. Lmao its like if Toyota designed a safety bag, and instead of testing it out, they just mass produced them and then worked out the kinks after people started to complain. The crap is annoying to deal with every time updates get released. The solution is just simple. Hire playtesters, catch majority of bugs, release update on all platform, create another update with hotfix for straggler bugs. Noone has to go through game breaking trash for days before they can play again, and everyone can play with everyone. They are earning PLENTY of money to do this.

@LordOfScrugging You, and the rest of the people posting on this post, dont speak for the majority of the playerbase. I've noticed that the only reason pc players want the updates first is just because they think it makes PC superior vs the other platforms. Make a poll asking warframe players whether they want updates on PC first or if they can have crossplay, then get back to me.

2 hours ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

I'm not sold on crossplay nor crossdressing, PC always act like they are the "Elite" force in gaming and have a natural arrogance to them. we all know as time goes on more and more companies will abandon pc, due to them being thieves 

Well we ARE called The PC Master Race for a good reason. :tongue:

Also, hate to burst your bubble, but Sony recently announced the successor to the PS4, but also said it could be the last hardware they release, as the industry focus now is on cloud / server based services, such as Steam. Microsoft are also focusing more on software and services.

Fact is, console companies actually make a loss on the hardware they sell. The profit comes from the games and subscription services they offer.

My guess is that console-specific software will be phased out over time and new content will be made for PCs, tablets & phones.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

17 minutes ago, krome4284 said:

@Joe_Barbarian The reasons are obvious pleb. After updating a game, there is always a plethora of game breaking bugs that they take hours or days to fix. Lmao its like if Toyota designed a safety bag, and instead of testing it out, they just mass produced them and then worked out the kinks after people started to complain. The crap is annoying to deal with every time updates get released. The solution is just simple. Hire playtesters, catch majority of bugs, release update on all platform, create another update with hotfix for straggler bugs. Noone has to go through game breaking trash for days before they can play again, and everyone can play with everyone. They are earning PLENTY of money to do this.

@LordOfScrugging You, and the rest of the people posting on this post, dont speak for the majority of the playerbase. I've noticed that the only reason pc players want the updates first is just because they think it makes PC superior vs the other platforms. Make a poll asking warframe players whether they want updates on PC first or if they can have crossplay, then get back to me.

This right here tell us all that you don't understand how releasing patches and hotfixes work on consoles. For someone saying "The reasons are obvious pleb" they really weren't that obvious to you. do some research on Microsoft and Sony certification process and then come back to us and tell us all how easy it is. Maybe you should apply to work at DE so you can tell them all how to do their job?

This right here tell us all that you don't understand how releasing patches and hotfixes work on consoles. For someone saying "The reasons are obvious pleb" they really weren't that obvious to you. do some research on Microsoft and Sony certification process and then come back to us and tell us all how easy it is. Maybe you should apply to work at DE so you can tell them all how to do their job?

^

@Joe_Barbarian linked you the official statement by a Community moderator, @krome4284. If you don't want to accept DE's official answer, then there's not much we can do.