Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A level 75 demo of each Archgun for those who only want to Gravimag 1 or 2

boo425

So earlier today I finally got a hold of the last two Gravimags needed to have my entire arsenal available for atmospheric combat, and needless to say some of them felt like a waste of time/platinum given drawbacks of a couple of the weapons. So to help others pick the right Archgun for general use (I assume its general knowledge by now that Imperator Vandal, Velocitus and Grattler are the go-to's for the fight) I've run a quick demo of each weapon against a few level 75 corrupted heavy gunners and butchers to give a brief idea of the time to kill for each weapon with varying amounts of investment.

Corvas

Worth noting with the Corvas in particular is that you will be staggered in an identical fashion to when you fire a charged shot with the Velocitus if you fire a charged shot with the Corvas, with the animation basically locking you in place for ~1 second. Thankfully however the Corvas' uncharged fire is actually viable so in the case of the demo I found it best to ignore the fact you can charge a shot at all unlike in regular Archwing play. Due to the fact that the Corvas is a shotgun on the other hand the tiny ammo pool likely won't suffice even for a mid level exterminate, so if you plan on using it just for the heck of it then don't plan on killing excessive amounts of enemies with it.

Cyngas

The Cyngas is actually a pretty solid weapon for regular play, with an ammo pool large enough to run through a mid level exterminate without running out of ammo however you’ll experience a large amount of wasted ammo if you consistently headshot thanks to its burst fire nature. I’ve heard its also okay for the PT fight, but I doubt it can hold up to the more powerful Archguns when it comes to the limb kill time. Admittedly my build could be far better since its missing the other dual stat mods and Sabot rounds from the build so the TTK could be fast faster with a better build of course and taking frame buffs into account.

Dual Decurions

Surprisingly the Decurions are actually really good on ground but in Archwing itself are still utter trash thanks to the painful recoil. My build is currently far from optimised thanks to the aforementioned “they suck in archwing” part since adding more Forma would have cost more sanity than time. That said, even with one or two dual stats and Sabot rounds missing from the build, the time to kill is ridiculously low in the demo and the ammo pool is high enough to complete a mid level exterminate without running out of ammo, although live every other Archgun missed shots will be punished thanks to the lack of ammo regeneration and the smaller magazine size. I’m not sure if they’d be viable to the PT fight due to the tiny magazine, but in regular play they are actually a very solid choice. Now if only adding forma wasn’t so painful.

Fluctus

There isn’t much to say. The Fluctus is still the Fluctus and can clear 1-2 rooms in a couple of shots. It struggles with armour a little bit but with a bit more forma and adding frame buffs to the equation it is more than viable for just about everything with the ammo pool being large enough to do a sortie without running out of ammo.

Grattler

So – definitely worth noting: If you hit a nearby wall by accident – You. Will. Die… Seriously. I’ve accidentally 1-2 shot my Frost with this thing because I aimed a little too low and hit the ground through an enemy with the innate punch through. Another thing to note: my build is missing Automatic Trigger since the Grattler’s ammo economy is horrid in regular Archwing so I didn’t add it fore regular play either. The Ammo economy on the ground on the other hand is comparable to the Fluctus although it doesn’t nearly struggle as badly with armour as the Fluctus. That said, the Gratter is free, you get if from research, is gud for what you invest in it.

Imperator Vandal

Once again there isn’t much to say – the Imperator Vandal is probably the highest sustained DPS Archgun and furthermore amazing for the PT fight. The only problem with the Imperator Vandal is the fire rate is so high with my current build that I run out of ammo in regular missions within a minute, however, if you were to add Ammo chain for extended reserves it may be possible to clear a high level mission without running out of ammo, although it requires a bit more Forma investment.

Regular Imperator

It's the regular Imperator. Don't do this to yourself. I regret spending the 20p.

Phaedra

The Phaedra honestly sits in kind of an awkward spot within the Archgun ladder since it fills the gap between the regular Imperator and the Imperator Vandal for the spool up weapons but suffers from poor accuracy in regular Archwing. However, on the ground its accuracy increases with the fire with the fire five or so shots being wildly inaccurate to the point of bullets appearing 2-3m from the crosshair and the rest of the shots after the spool up being as accurate the Imperator series. Once again, like the Imperator vandal in regular play you’ll run out of ammo within a minute or two and definitely can’t finish a mid to high level exterminate without running out of ammo since the whole purpose of the absurdly high fire rate of the spool up weapons was compensated by the high ammo regen, so regardless of your ammo pool – it isn’t going to help.

The Phaedra is also one of maybe three Archguns that suffers an animation bug where the weapon resets after every time you fire… and it gets really annoying.

Velocitus

The Velocitus personally is one of the biggest let downs of the update as the stagger that occurs whenever you fire a charged shot… which in regular Archwing you were supposed to fire charged shots… is absurdly infuriating when you try to run this weapon for an extended period of time – which I personally made the mistake of adding Forma via Adaro rather than Salacia. Other than the abhorrent stagger, the ammo pool is once again far too low to clear a mid level exterminate and honestly any mission where you’d expect to kill in excess of a hundred enemies since the punch through is also bugged and you can’t punch through even a butcher.

Edited by boo425
I am the sadness
  • Like 9

This will be helpful in deciding which archguns to plan for (at least for me). Thanks!

Just now, Leyers_of_facade said:

Spoilers in spoilers in spoilers....

Thanks for the info, it will be pretty useful for everyone... but yeah your format didn't work 😛

Probably the spoiler tag got mixed up. A little bit of polishing is what it needs.

2 minutes ago, OvisCaedo said:

Honestly, props for choosing to use a level range that's closer to having actual relevance to anyone.

Yeah, when I decided to do this demo run I figured I'd choose above 50 but when I noticed some of my setups struggling with level 100+ I decided just to settle for the mid point.

Stellar work there OP! I went with my gut and Gravimagged only the arch guns I have more than 3 forma in I.E. the Velocitus and Imperator Vandal. Really happy with both (more so with the Vandal). I was gonna go the path of not spending plat for the second gravimag but after I saw it takes 3 days to build after the 3 days dojo research (1 day left on that one btw) suddenly 20 plat seemed like a killer bargain.

1 minute ago, EDM774 said:

Stellar work there OP! I went with my gut and Gravimagged only the arch guns I have more than 3 forma in I.E. the Velocitus and Imperator Vandal. Really happy with both (more so with the Vandal). I was gonna go the path of not spending plat for the second gravimag but after I saw it takes 3 days to build after the 3 days dojo research (1 day left on that one btw) suddenly 20 plat seemed like a killer bargain.

Yeah I figured the same thing when I saw that the market version was 20p. 3 days just to unlock one Archgun doesn't quite seem the fair trade, but hopefully that gets changed along with some other nuisances that Archguns are still facing at the moment when DE gets back from holiday.

But yeah, I had the goal of unlocking the whole set from the beginning although I kinda flipped the coin on the standard Imperator. Still some hanging regrets on that coin flip now.

7 minutes ago, boo425 said:

Yeah, when I decided to do this demo run I figured I'd choose above 50 but when I noticed some of my setups struggling with level 100+ I decided just to settle for the mid point.

That's the funniest thing to me, the Archweapons struggle with level 100 enemies, where the standard for testing normal weapons is like 150.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ReshyShira said:

That's the funniest thing to me, the Archweapons struggle with level 100 enemies, where the standard for testing normal weapons is like 150.

Yeah the weapons in particular that struggled were my Corvas and Velocitus since both have no means of armour strip without outside input (kavats, CP, etc.), whilst my full auto weapons could kill - they took such a ridiculous amount of bullets it just seemed impractical.

4 minutes ago, boo425 said:

Yeah the weapons in particular that struggled were my Corvas and Velocitus since both have no means of armour strip without outside input (kavats, CP, etc.), whilst my full auto weapons could kill - they took such a ridiculous amount of bullets it just seemed impractical.

How did you get an Imperator Vandal to get such a high crit rate? Checking in archwing it only has a 20% crit rate with a generic x2 multiplier.

Side not how is the Fluctus for the PT fight?

Edited by ReshyShira

3 minutes ago, ReshyShira said:

How did you get an Imperator Vandal to get such a high crit rate? Checking in archwing it only has a 20% crit rate with a generic x2 multiplier.

many of the archguns were given buffed stats on their ground versions, for no clear reason. velocitus got a 33% base damage nerf instead in exchange for slightly higher crit chance.

edit: though really the reason IS clear: they were not actually going to be very strong at all without buffs. the unclear part is why they didn't just let the space versions get number increases too, but maybe they're still clinging onto some vague silly hope of maintaining the separate archwing number balance environment.

Edited by OvisCaedo

7 minutes ago, OvisCaedo said:

many of the archguns were given buffed stats on their ground versions, for no clear reason. velocitus got a 33% base damage nerf instead in exchange for slightly higher crit chance.

edit: though really the reason IS clear: they were not actually going to be very strong at all without buffs. the unclear part is why they didn't just let the space versions get number increases too, but maybe they're still clinging onto some vague silly hope of maintaining the separate archwing number balance environment.

Wow what, the Velocitus got nerfed on the ground?  Why?  How can you even make an informed decision on what to add a grav mag to when the stats are completely different on the ground?

Edited by ReshyShira

2 minutes ago, OvisCaedo said:

You make an informed decision by going onto the forums and digging to find the patch notes from whatever patch the system was added in, even in a few months or a year when that will be long buried, duh!

That's a pretty terrible way to do things, like how nullifiers are a bad game mechanic, and then they went added them to enemies on terra randomly at high alerts.

12 minutes ago, ReshyShira said:

Wow what, the Velocitus got nerfed on the ground?  Why?  How can you even make an informed decision on what to add a grav mag to when the stats are completely different on the ground?

I think the Velocitus got a slight nerf on the ground since there was a bit of theory crafting about it Vs Eidolons before we really knew much about the heavy weapons changes. Then again, apart from the initial reveal we were told next to nothing about the final version.

17 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

With Ammo Chain you get 2400 ammo with Imperator Vandal. Can easily sustain a whole sortie mission and the DPS loss is not really noticeable.

I'll give it some thought when I put the next two forma into my Imperator Vandal to fit Sabot Rounds. My current forma'd setup is mostly for endurance Caelus runs since every now and then I get bored enough to go through to round 40 or so, so most of my builds are bit out of date.

EDIT: Yeah I just looked through my build then since I'm prepping for another PT farm for my last two Dual stats and if I swap out Hollowed Bullets for Sabot Rounds and put Contaminated Casing instead of Venomous Clip I can add Ammo Chain in the place of Magma chamber to make the build work with minimal DPS loss as you said. 

Edited by boo425

I wish there wasn't a stagger from the charge up archguns, it doesn't make the gun seem any more powerful, it's just annoying. If they wanted to make the gun seem like it had a lot of kick they could've made it so it had intense recoil even stronger than the grakatas, but you weren't staggered.

1 hour ago, CriticalFumble said:

So does Resolute Focus keep your charged shots from staggering you? 

Doubt it would make the Corvas have parity with the I.V. on any level, but the reduced spread might work well on it as well. 

No, even with resolute focus on you get staggered. I tried, cried a bit and quickly came to the conclusion it exists as a fodder mod only.