The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I feel like melee is severely underpowered and slightly useless.

AzureScion

On 2019-01-21 at 5:11 PM, AzureScion said:

I find it difficult to utilize melee weapons to deal considerable amount of damage to Hydron-level enemies with melee weapons no matter what weapons/frames I use.

Your problem there is that basically any non-starter weapon with a full build has no trouble with enemies, so the weakness of melee is that they have a tiny range as opposed to ranged weapons. The difference in making melee effective is in efficiently closing the gap between you and your target, which is done by dextrous use of the movement system. You have to go ham, but if you do, your melee can usually keep up with someone else's guns.

If you're looking for a good melee frame, try out Gara. Near-permanent 90% DR, above-average sprint speed and a short-range damage nova, plus occasionally she opens up nearby enemies to finishers for more melee beatdown. Pretty much any melee works, but I find Rapiers (Vulpine Mask) to be a really strong and flexible option.

1 hour ago, Furybone said:

Problems is that grineer have both ferrite and alloy armor types depending on the unit. This makes corrosive great against some of them but it doesn't help you against the ones that matter.

If my Galatine wasn't modded for corrosive that mission would have taken even longer, you are right about that...though I think this is more of a Grinner issue than a melee one.

4 hours ago, Furybone said:

In a lot of ways melee isn't that useful. up to around level 100 mobs ignis does just fine with viral/heat if you have combustion beam on it. Plenty of weapons do just fine into very high levels if you know your frames abilities. This means that by the time melee is needed the mission is pretty much over anyway. It does great in long survivals where other weapons start falling off or running out of ammo which is about an hour into it. If you want to push for more than that your going to need a good melee weapon. Granted, there is literally no reason to care about going hard because the game refuses to reward people that study the game, or actually try to push limits.

you mean hunter munitions.  

2 hours ago, Aldain said:

If my Galatine wasn't modded for corrosive that mission would have taken even longer, you are right about that...though I think this is more of a Grinner issue than a melee one.

for grinner and Eso unless you can just deal out massive crits or have CO add cold damage to the weapon.  It has +25% effectiveness aginst alloy armor.  also against the grineer the almost pure slash stat on the galantine hurts you unless you have the status chance to proc slash as the weapon is to slow to slow to proc enough corrosive to do a whole heck of a lot.  

9 minutes ago, spirit_of_76 said:

for grinner and Eso unless you can just deal out massive crits or have CO add cold damage to the weapon.  It has +25% effectiveness aginst alloy armor.  also against the grineer the almost pure slash stat on the galantine hurts you unless you have the status chance to proc slash as the weapon is to slow to slow to proc enough corrosive to do a whole heck of a lot.  

eso is just saryn's playground.

for everything else theres mastercard.

i mean corrosive projection.

On 2019-01-21 at 11:11 AM, AzureScion said:

Just going to let out my one-bits opinion about melee weapon types. I feel like this weapon is severely underpowered. I find it difficult to utilize melee weapons to deal considerable amount of damage to Hydron-level enemies with melee weapons no matter what weapons/frames I use. Some of the stances feels stiff, wonky, and either plants you into one spot so by the time you finish your combo there are no enemies within range or has too much mobility to even hit anything. Yes I only have limited amounts of melee mods (staple ones like damage, crit chance, crit damage, range, elemental damage, etc and I even have condition overload) but that's also the case for all other weapon types but the others prove to be quite devastating even with whatever mods I have.

Some people suggested me to use whips like Atterax. I did not like it. Even after putting a catalyst and 2 formas in it, it still got outperformed by my other non-catalyst no-forma guns. Spamming E plants me in one position until the combo ends. Sliding attacks also feel weird and too gimmick to be used effectively. 

Most people that destroys with melee weapons has tweaked to death, very powerful Zaw weapons with Maiming Strike on it, which I consider very hard to get at my current position in the game. I'm also in no position to acquire a Zaw weapons because Plains is just too heavy for my computer to handle.

So is this what melee has become? Use Zaw+Maiming Strike or be useless? If so then what's the point of the countless other melee weapons that we have? I don't use melee weapons 80% of my missions (Unless I'm playing Inaros but then again the melee weapons are just there to regain health back with finishers) and I do just fine. I consider melee weapons to be a cosmetic item now, only there to make your frame looks a tad bit cooler. At this point I might just unbind my E from the melee attack trigger because why melee if you can destroy more enemies with your Plasmor or Staticor?

I love close quarter combats but I don't like how melee weapons work in this game.

What do you think of the current state of melee weapons?

If all else fails you could use reddeemer Prime as a "melee" 

3 minutes ago, Furybone said:

i mean corrosive projection

why would I waste 6 drain and 1 form on my Umbral Valk to add a mod that is only useful after Lv 75, and even then is not that useful on the frames/builds I use.  that and there is almost always a saryn

Edited by spirit_of_76

I'm not of the spin-to-win faction and I still think melee works quite well in high levels, but just under one condition: Keeping the combo-counter up.

For that, you'll need  Body Count, Driting Contact, or one of the Gladiator mods and (spoiler for Second Dream quest, which should be no problem, speaking about Sorties)

Naramon as primary Operator skill

. With that, some pretty standard Weapons such as an Orthos Prime work pretty good on Sortie levels, making "Melee only" a breeze even without Rivens("Enhanced Armor" with Grineer might be a different story and that story is, thar armor scaling is crap, regardless of melee or firearms).

However, since this are pretty restrictive circumstances on "melee works on high levels", yeah, Melee could need a boost. I hope they get it right with Melee 3.0 and the planned ditching of the combo-counter.

4 minutes ago, spirit_of_76 said:

why would I waste 6 drain and 1 form on my Umbral Valk to add a mod that is only useful after Lv 75, and even then is not that useful on the frames/builds I use.  that and there is almost always a saryn

eso is its own thing. saryn kills everything. places other than eso when you don't have a saryn is when you want to use CP.

28 minutes ago, Furybone said:

eso is its own thing. saryn kills everything. places other than eso when you don't have a saryn is when you want to use CP.

Depending on the frame, weapons, and builds used CP is not always needed.  For example, a solo Ivara doesn't really benefit from CP at all or needs it.  Then there are frames like Oberon, Ash, and Mag who can either strip armor or make it irrelevant.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DatDarkOne said:

Depending on the frame, weapons, and builds used CP is not always needed.  For example, a solo Ivara doesn't really benefit from CP at all or needs it.  Then there are frames like Oberon, Ash, and Mag who can either strip armor or make it irrelevant.  

thats why i said "for everything else"

Blood Rush or Condition Overload (ideally both, but just one is fine) are a pretty core part of Melee for the time being.
these Mods will be a feature part of all of your Melee Weapons, as well as the mechanics that they work around.

Melee generally outperforms everything at higher Levels, since it doesn't have Ammo, and by far has the most Multipliers you can add to your Damage. Guns are good too, though.

9 hours ago, spirit_of_76 said:

8 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

this would generally be from the point of view that a Mod Slot on your Warframe is more valuable than the Aura Slot, so if making Armor a completely unimportant thing can be done with just the Aura Slot (when in MP, doesn't make much of a difference Solo, agreed) rather than losing some Ability Stats or Et Cetera - that as such is preferable.

11 minutes ago, DanteYoda said:

Add any ping time over 200 and melee becomes useless.

er, Enemies are Damaged and/or Killed Clientside, you can Kill an Enemy with anything you want and it'll be dead for you even if the Host is extremely laggy.

Edited by taiiat

В 21.01.2019 в 12:11, AzureScion сказал:

I don't use melee weapons 80% of my missions (Unless I'm playing Inaros but then again the melee weapons are just there to regain health back with finishers) and I do just fine. I consider melee weapons to be a cosmetic item now, only there to make your frame looks a tad bit cooler. At this point I might just unbind my E from the melee attack trigger because why melee if you can destroy more enemies with your Plasmor or Staticor?

I completely agree.

19 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

I'm actually jealous you guys can just casually walk up with a dagger and end the conversation so easily 😄