Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Afraid to play.

Psianide73

When I first started playing, I was an idiot and bought a couple of Prime Access packs from someone other than DE.

Once I discovered he was doing chargebacks on everything he sold, I stopped spending any plat, and largely stopped playing, as my account felt tainted.

I began playing regularly again a couple of weeks ago, and upon logging in last Saturday, received a message that items obtained from Steam were removed from my account. My plat dropped from 7k to -3.7k.

I knew why this had happened, and understood completely. I immediately bought the Mesa prime pack to bring my plat back up to 260 so I could play again 

The problem is, I don't feel that I want to. I love the game, but having read various stories of people going negative plat, just from selling items, or receiving gifts, I'm afraid to put any more time or money in.

During my time in the game, I've bought, sold, traded and gifted various items. How am I to know if any of those trades were tainted? It took 8 months for DE to remove the stolen Prime Packs from my account (again, not bitter they removed them, understand completely), so anything I do or pay for the next year could be wasted if somewhere along the line, tainted plat entered the equation.

To clarify, I have no intention of buying plat or packs from anyone other than DE, but I do enjoy trading, and that could get me locked out again, which leaves me cold.

Sorry for the long post, just not sure what to do. And yes, I opened a ticket, 2 days ago. But now that I've paid to bring my plat into the positive, I'm not sure there's anything DE can or will say.

• Like 1

Make only small trades. People tend to scam less in small trades. Also, always ensure you have a plat reserve in case things really go south. It helps if you don't immediately spend any plat you traded for.

But it is ok to play other games and not touch Warframe, honestly. The game is starting to show its age anyway, so if you have no sunk cost fallacy about it, it's not hard to uproot and leave.

22 minutes ago, Psianide73 said:

The problem is, I don't feel that I want to. I love the game, but having read various stories of people going negative plat, just from selling items, or receiving gifts, I'm afraid to put any more time or money in.

A lot of traders have posited that sentiments would swing in this direction long-term if things didn't change.

I completely understand why you would be hesitant and would just suggest you choose to play but plug no additional money into the game.

Follow @Datam4ss's advice for trading as it seems really sound.

If your account goes negative due to fraud or a chargeback...Leave and cut your losses. 

The only other thing you can do is buy enough plat to cover every plat you've ever traded for...which, imo, is a slightly insane course of action.  

• Like 3

also, check the mastery rank and play time if players you're trading with.

if someone is selling or buying crazy rare mods or prime parts and he's mr 0~5, it probably means he's got fake plat or stolen items with him. It's NOT guaranteed that he/she is indeed breaking the rules of warframe, but usually when someone is trying to do something illegal, they tend to use fresh accounts instead of risking their main accounts.

Right now the best you can do is (and you've said you did send a ticket), ask DE through support if everything is fine with your account. Incase they say "Yes, your account is fine" but you are still feeling troubled, feel free to save the ticket number, you can even take a screenshot of it, and incase something ever happens to your account you will have proof from the support that your account is safe and they can't throw stuff at you from the past.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Psianide73 said:

Snip

I would advise you every time you do a trade over 100 plat that you ScreenShot the trade window and the chat with the person you are trading, this way it acts as evidence in case you get Schemed and may help you recover your account without having to pay anything.

26 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

But it is ok to play other games and not touch Warframe, honestly. The game is starting to show its age anyway, so if you have no sunk cost fallacy about it, it's not hard to uproot and leave.

Thats not really helpful towards the game and im asking my self where you got that idea that the game is aging considering they are always improving the game quality and graphics?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Thats not really helpful towards the game and im asking my self where you got that idea that the game is aging considering they are always improving the game quality and graphics?

I shouldn't discuss this on this thread, so let's just leave it as "the passion I had for the game that had burned bright for the past three years has finally died out ... permanently." Except that I am not the only one. I mean if you want to continue playing, sure. But I am sure I personally stay on for the daily Sortie ONLY because I foolishly trap myself with the sunk cost fallacy.

As for the OP, one more thing regarding trades - do check Warframe Market all the time, even when doing small trades. If someone is offering a suspiciously high price for any item (Rivens can be hard to judge and are mostly high value trades anyway, so this sector of trading is always a risk heavy market), chances are they are using hacked plat/chargebacked plat that they can spend recklessly and are desperate to get rid of it. In this case, it is best to just politely decline.

Sometimes, it may be worth it to perform non plat trades, like Mod A for Mod B or Part C for Riven D etc.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

The core mechanics of the game are utterly flawed, wonky stealth mechanics, A.I. that's outdone by games decades older than Warframe, no content for long time players, no real challenge, no game balance, no incentives to play other than maybe trying the riven slot machine or grind for arcanes you don't even need because there is no content where they are really needed, to top it all off the devs don't fix these because it's not as profitable as making semi-broken new content, gear checks (some only favoring a certain meta, like Fortuna) and time gates as 'challenge', bullet sponge mobs and broken EHP frames, cheese (for everyone!), a community that's content with all this and doesn't want changes.

It's not hard to see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Psianide73 said:

When I first started playing, I was an idiot and bought a couple of Prime Access packs from someone other than DE.

Once I discovered he was doing chargebacks on everything he sold, I stopped spending any plat, and largely stopped playing, as my account felt tainted.

I began playing regularly again a couple of weeks ago, and upon logging in last Saturday, received a message that items obtained from Steam were removed from my account. My plat dropped from 7k to -3.7k.

I knew why this had happened, and understood completely. I immediately bought the Mesa prime pack to bring my plat back up to 260 so I could play again 

During my time in the game, I've bought, sold, traded and gifted various items. How am I to know if any of those trades were tainted? It took 8 months for DE to remove the stolen Prime Packs from my account (again, not bitter they removed them, understand completely), so anything I do or pay for the next year could be wasted if somewhere along the line, tainted plat entered the equation.

To clarify, I have no intention of buying plat or packs from anyone other than DE, but I do enjoy trading, and that could get me locked out again, which leaves me cold.

Sorry for the long post, just not sure what to do. And yes, I opened a ticket, 2 days ago. But now that I've paid to bring my plat into the positive, I'm not sure there's anything DE can or will say.

I've read a few stories on here similar to yours.

Personally I've always made a point of avoiding player-to-player trades. I only ever buy from official sources (in-game shops, authorised partners etc.)

You don't have to be scared...just sensible. Remember Fox Mulder's motto: "Trust No One"... :wink:

And if something seems too good to be true...it probably is.

hace 1 hora, Psianide73 dijo:

Consider yourself extremely lucky " I was an idiot and bought a couple of Prime Access packs from someone other than DE " That alone should have your account banned .

2 minutes ago, spirit_of_76 said:

not to much help on switch as the migrated PC players are scamming the entire switch community due to the newfound shortage of things. the difference is the level of the scam. they are not scamming DE and then the player but just scamming the player.  

Wait, they have all their items duplicated, including their unbuilt prime parts, arcanes, everything? (except rivens)

Oh boi. :^)

3 minutes ago, Psianide73 said:

Thanks for your input so far guys.

It seems a shame to have to live in fear while trying to enjoy a game... It is what it is I guess.

Hopefully I'll regain my passion for the game once this sour taste wears off.

I haven't been in a situation such as yours, but let me tell you this: play the game because you want to play the game. If you enjoy the core elements of it, just do the regular stuff i.e. star chart clearing, quests, daily missions, sorties, open world areas etc. and then start thinking about trading. IMO, trading should be the by-product activity of something you enjoy.

If you really want something or want to support DE, get one of their packs, directly from them. But again, only once you feel enjoyment from the game. I spent money on this game because I felt that it deserved to. I started thinking about trading way, way into it, and only as a side-activity for some extra platinum.

Well according to what you said it isnt really a game issues if you bought Prime Access from someone else than DE/Steam. You cant buy those from other players in game, you can only buy those straight from DE or Steam.

You cant get negative plat by buying items for plat in the game, you can only get negative plat by selling to others, since you might obtain tainted plat from them that you spend shortly after. Neither is the case with Prime Access since it must have been bought in some very wierd way outside of the game.

edit: Also, turn of gifting in the options if you wanna be on the safe side.

Edited by SneakyErvin

14 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Well according to what you said it isnt really a game issues if you bought Prime Access from someone else than DE/Steam. You cant buy those from other players in game, you can only buy those straight from DE or Steam.

You cant get negative plat by buying items for plat in the game, you can only get negative plat by selling to others, since you might obtain tainted plat from them that you spend shortly after. Neither is the case with Prime Access since it must have been bought in some very wierd way outside of the game.

edit: Also, turn of gifting in the options if you wanna be on the safe side.

The guy selling the packs told me he would gift it to me on Steam, and the reason he could do it cheaper is because he bought Steam accounts that contained items that could be sold on the Steam marketplace for Steam wallet cash.

It sounded plausible at the time, as I had downloaded Warframe via Steam and had bought and sold in game items on the Steam marketplace myself, including an in-game beanie for H1Z1 for almost 300 pounds.

I obviously know better now.

3 hours ago, kgabor said:

Wait, they have all their items duplicated, including their unbuilt prime parts, arcanes, everything? (except rivens)

Oh boi. :^)

Definitely not sure about arcanes, but yes. My Switch account has all the unbuilt prime parts I had before leaving the game years ago, and only came back when I migrated to Switch. Lots of vaulted items that I could trade if I wanted to, but I don't like trading, so I don't.

8 hours ago, Psianide73 said:

Just don't buy anything from outside of DE. As for trading, most vets like myself keep on playing exactly because we can trade almost anything. I am not even talking about trying to become a plat billionaire, just the fact that I can jump into game after a few days/ weeks/ months, and if there was something out I like, I can get it right away..

I can play what I like, while buying other stuff I want that's hidden behind a grind I am not willing to do anymore.. So I can make plat while having fun, and get with it stuff I want that I don't want to grind for..

I would go as far to say trading and especially rivens are what kept me in game last two years.

I have yet to get scammed and I sold and bought without exaggeration 100s of rivens.. You are only at risk when receiving plat.Just use common sense.. And never sell something for more plat then you already own. Getting cheated with charge back is so damn rare. If you come to forums, sure it will seem like it happens a lot, because only the people that it has happen to tell about it.. 

You just don't hear about millions of trades that went fine.. Don't be scarred.  

Purchasing Platinum, Prime Access, or other in game goods from unauthorized third parties (i.e. not from DE or official services like the Steam store) is a violation of the EULA. 

Unfortunately, had you purchased these things through a legitimate source, all of your grief could have been avoided.

The only way you can go negative platinum is if you violate the EULA by purchasing goods from an unauthorized source, perform a chargeback on your credit card you used to purchase platinum (after you already spent said platinum), or receive and spend fraudulent platinum from another player.