Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's First Paywall

Mad5cout

Can I just point out that the most recent update is one of the first times we have seen mainline content hidden behind a platinum paywall?  It is currently not possible to unlock Hildryn without paying platinum, creating a delayed release profit-making scheme that, to my knowledge, has not happened yet in Warframe.  Am I overstating this?  To me, this comes off like a major betrayal to the commitment DE has long made to its player base.  To me, this comes off as pay to win (first).  While we will all get access to the content eventually, this is a significant change to their content release practices.

Am I the only one seeing this?

• Like 5

Don't care enough about Hildryn to be bothered. She'll show up in the VS rewards soon enough. Sooner than I'll probably care when you get down to it. 

Waiting for the event(s) to run to obtain Hildryn is no different from farming up new prime warframes from their PA. 

You're under no obligation to buy anything from DE. It's entirely your choice. 

• Like 2

To me, would only be a paywall if they never give access it unless you pay money.

The "event" she is farmed in will be around every so often like Plague Star so its not "farm her during event or never get her without platinum for X number of years".

• Like 7

DE sets up new Frames like this:

1. Content/Grind that takes at least a Day to do
  2. Part's Blueprint takes 12 hours to craft (24 hours for some folks, who won't be online when it finishes and must wait till they're back online
  3. Once parts are finished, THREE DAYS for final build of Frame to finish. (Plus Frame Slot required to pull it out of Foundry)

This "Paywall" has always been there, and it's called "Pay now, Have now. Wait now, have later".

It seems DE has set it up for, once the community works together and cracks something open (Est. Time, next weekend), we will unlock the ability to farm the thing to get her.

• Like 1

Its more of a pay delay, than a pay wall, really. And that has always been a part of the game. To get a Frame without platinum, you have always had to wait for however long it takes to get the parts, plus the 3 1/2 days to build it.

The irritating thing with Hildryn, though, is that we can't even start trying to acquire her parts for about a week. So now you have a forced 10 1/2 day wait, plus grind? That's not very fun. It seriously killed most of my excitement for this update when I heard that. It also makes me really miss quest frames. At least with them, you got a cool mini story to play while you waited.

• Like 1

I agree; the Hildryn situation feels kind of gross. People who paid plat are using her immediately and there is all this hype about her, but those who choose not to pay plat simply cannot even start making any progress towards getting her. We don't even have the foggiest idea when we can start progress towards obtaining her. It's like those who choose not to pay plat are a lesser class of player, which is something DE seems to be careful to avoid in the past.

I have no inherent problem with paying for a frame, but I feel that doing missions to farm for stuff is quite literally the object of Warframe. If players just always bought everything, they would have far less motivation to run the different missions and events.

• Like 2

il y a 1 minute, Knowmad762 a dit :

I have no inherent problem with paying for a frame, but I feel that doing missions to farm for stuff is quite literally the object of Warframe. If players just always bought everything, they would have far less motivation to run the different missions and events.

Exactly. But there are a lot of players who buy the content. Even if they can farm for a frame on day one of its release. 

But it is still a choice to buy hyldrin or not. It's not like if she is there for a limited time. Is hyldrin mandatory to be able to keep playing? Of course not. I'm sure that many of those who point out the hyldrin situation still have a lot of other things to aquire. 

We should talk about players mentality more often and less about DE 's presumed intentions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad5cout said:

Can I just point out that the most recent update is one of the first times we have seen mainline content hidden behind a platinum paywall?  It is currently not possible to unlock Hildryn without paying platinum, creating a delayed release profit-making scheme that, to my knowledge, has not happened yet in Warframe.  Am I overstating this?  To me, this comes off like a major betrayal to the commitment DE has long made to its player base.  To me, this comes off as pay to win (first).  While we will all get access to the content eventually, this is a significant change to their content release practices.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Im confused I thought Nightwave and Nitain was the new paywall method halting progression specially for new players unless you go and buy the frames/weapons from the store, Hildron you can go buy for standing from Vox Solaris how on earth if that a paywall?

13 minutes ago, HexOmega111x said:

Exactly. But there are a lot of players who buy the content. Even if they can farm for a frame on day one of its release. 

But it is still a choice to buy hyldrin or not.

But Hildryn is different than virtually all other content. Look at Mesa Prime: players could buy her on day one, or players can start making progress on farming her on day one, either way they are progressing towards that goal. With Hildryn, players can buy her day one, but players simply do not have any option for farming her at all currently. The options presented to the player by DE are objectively different than usual, player mentality is irrelevant.

19 minutes ago, TheSkunkyMonk said:

Hildron you can go buy for standing from Vox Solaris how on earth if that a paywall?

Incorrect. You can purchase only the main blueprint from Solaris: the three individual part blueprints needed to build her are currently completely impossible to acquire.

19 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

Would you prefer the event were shortened by the part that is a global achievement?

They did not have to shorten the event, but they should have delayed the ability to buy Hildryn until such time that farming her is also a possibility. That way, her acquisition is more in line with virtually all previous content in the game, where there is more than simply one option to acquire.

3 minutes ago, Knowmad762 said:

Incorrect. You can purchase only the main blueprint from Solaris: the three individual part blueprints needed to build her are currently completely impossible to acquire.

Erm the Wiki states you can get the parts from the Exploiter Orb drops?

1 minute ago, TheSkunkyMonk said:

Erm the Wiki states you can get the parts from the Exploiter Orb drops?

That is what we have been told, yes. But immediately under that statement is the following: Advisory: (Currently the Exploiter Orb cannot be killed, and thus Hildryn cannot be crafted as of present).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Knowmad762 said:

That is what we have been told, yes. But immediately under that statement is the following: Advisory: (Currently the Exploiter Orb cannot be killed, and thus Hildryn cannot be crafted as of present).

haha now I get the upset... Lol was obvious really  after they removed the alerts and affinity bonuses the game was taking a different direction shame because I was havign a lot of fun up until Nightwave, and would of probably enjoyed Nightwave if it hadn't been put on a timer and replaced alerts.

It's not a Paywall but this isn't the first time a frame was time gated from players without purchasing.

Garuda was behind a Rep wall capped by daily rep.

Baruuk was behind a rep wall as well but also a Rep which was capped until a set period.

It's only because Fortuna itself was new this did not feel like a frame being time gated from players. To a new player I imagine Revanant feels similar as he requires Quills rep. While the validity of "Progress" in this type of event could be debated; it will eventually come. It's more of a PayGate than a Wall and this isn't considering plat can be gained freely without money.

Edited by Xzorn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tangent-Valley said:

DE sets up new Frames like this:

1. Content/Grind that takes at least a Day to do
  2. Part's Blueprint takes 12 hours to craft (24 hours for some folks, who won't be online when it finishes and must wait till they're back online
  3. Once parts are finished, THREE DAYS for final build of Frame to finish. (Plus Frame Slot required to pull it out of Foundry)

This "Paywall" has always been there, and it's called "Pay now, Have now. Wait now, have later".

It seems DE has set it up for, once the community works together and cracks something open (Est. Time, next weekend), we will unlock the ability to farm the thing to get her.

For anyone who hasn't done anything with Solaris United and Vox Solaris, it's more like Content/Grind that takes 5 or more days to do, and for those of us who aren't able to spend every waking moment on the game it's more like 10 days.

10 days of grinding. To me, that's absolutely unacceptable. There are so many better things i could do with my time, so as much as i would love to add another defense/support oriented frame to my arsenal, this is just too much.

il y a 52 minutes, Knowmad762 a dit :

But Hildryn is different than virtually all other content. Look at Mesa Prime: players could buy her on day one, or players can start making progress on farming her on day one, either way they are progressing towards that goal. With Hildryn, players can buy her day one, but players simply do not have any option for farming her at all currently. The options presented to the player by DE are objectively different than usual, player mentality is irrelevant.

I know, this is the reason of this topic. What I said is that I don't see any problem with this situation.

And my reasoning was the whole post, not just what you quoted. No matter how DE introduce this frame, we will all have it one day or another. The only thing that will change is the way we will aquire it. 

Now, indeed, if we see a pattern in the way DE will introduce future content, there will be a reason to be worried. But not after just one move. Even if it's a strange one.

Heavens forbid content is spread throughout the game and not immediately accessible by everyone. Obviously the argument of unfairness can be made here, perhaps selling Hildryn for platinum could have been delayed until she was at least obtainable through other means, but I don't see the need for so much hyperbole. Content is gated by progression, this event is just another form of that - community progression.

DE has built up enough of a positive rapport with me over the years that I am mostly unbothered by this. Time will tell if this is the beginning of a trend, though.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

While the validity of "Progress" in this type of event could be debated;

And this is the crux of the whole argument: players simply cannot make any progress towards earning Hildryn, through no fault of theirs.

Yes, Revenant, Garuda and Baruuk were all gated behind rep standing walls, but there was absolutely no solid gate stopping players from making progress towards them every time they played. Keep in mind that Hildryn's main blueprint was moved to Solaris rank 2: many players already bypassed rank 2 to acquire Baruuk's parts at Solaris rank 3. So many players can acquire Hildryn's blueprint immediately, and then they can do absolutely nothing more to progress.

Because they are making players wait, its a "paywall"?   Sounds a bit salty and jealous.   Players willing to pay to support the game should get their stuff early.   No problem with that.   As it stands, everything in the game barring some fashionframe can be earned in the game.  Nothing has changed.  The parts for will be available soon enough with more content release.  For myself, when I get it, I get it, just.  Till then I have other stuff to do.  But is it a paywall?   lol not hardly.   Delaywall, yeah, I'd agree with that.   Want progression, look at the clock, wherever you have one.   Each minute/hour is progression towards the next release and the parts coming out.   And its free.

• Like 3

I mean, shes just in the next part of the quest, so its not like its a huge wait.

Though is a huge grind if you arent already 100% done with Fortuna.

On 2019-03-09 at 9:00 PM, Steel_Rook said:

So if she's literally impossible to earn... Why is she in the Cash Shop? If fair's fair, why not hold off on releasing her for real money until she's actually earnable in-game?

Go do 100% of your scans and get everyone else to do so -- thats whats stopping us.

Shes not impossible to earn - the quest for her is literally there in our queue, but we, as a community, need to unlock it.

1 hour ago, _Vortus_ said:

Because they are making players wait, its a "paywall"?   Sounds a bit salty and jealous.   Players willing to pay to support the game should get their stuff early.   No problem with that.   As it stands, everything in the game barring some fashionframe can be earned in the game.  Nothing has changed.  The parts for will be available soon enough with more content release.  For myself, when I get it, I get it, just.  Till then I have other stuff to do.  But is it a paywall?   lol not hardly.   Delaywall, yeah, I'd agree with that.   Want progression, look at the clock, wherever you have one.   Each minute/hour is progression towards the next release and the parts coming out.   And its free.

If you've watched any of the devstreams lately, you know that the leaders at DE very often joke and mock other games for their use of pre-order bonuses, implying that Warframe is better than that. Then they release Hildryn, who is, for all intents and purposes, a pre-order bonus. Those who pay real money currency get early access to this frame, while it is impossible to acquire for others who prefer to earn it through gameplay. The irony is quite hilarious.

• Like 2

But why do you even care? Are you just seeing the bad in everything? She will be available in few days. DE put her in the shop already because they want to. It's a good thing for those who want to buy her anyway. 

Yes, this is definitely a question of mentality. You have to see in this something wrong from DE. The reality is that you have absolutely no idea why they release this frame like that. Just speculations.

Buy her or wait. Your problem.