Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oxylus "scan matter" mod is useless and needs to be changed.

Makemap

Oxylus "scan matter" mod is useless and needs to be changed.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Oxylus

Scan matter doesn't sound right for what it does. What it should do instead of resource container, is auto scan collectible plants.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Plants

Later DE can add some plants in Cetus or Fortuna to craft items. This would be a much better idea for the mod change. Then people will use Oxylus more. Right now it is only used for fishing.

• Like 1

What that sentinel should do is just outright automatically mine and fish so that you never have to waste any of your time on those god-awful minigames ever again. It should do for fishing and mining what Helios did for scanning, which is to say effectively remove it from the game.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

What that sentinel should do is just outright automatically mine and fish so that you never have to waste any of your time on those god-awful minigames ever again. It should do for fishing and mining what Helios did for scanning, which is to say effectively remove it from the game.

Those aren't even remotely equivalent activities. Maybe if it destroyed 90% of what it got, that might be considered.

• I don't mind the fishing and the mining... Because exploiter orb removed the need to 😄
  • I don't mind fishing as much since I have a buddy who's been feeding me glappid baits.
  • I don't mind these things when I have a booster, an event weekend, and a running vallis bonus octupling my efforts. Then occasionaly my whimsical Smeeta will make it even better.

What I do mind..... is finding obscure plants in the middle of random generated tilesets in addition to doing whatever that tileset's objective is. I suffer enough from attention deficits, adding another one on top means I struggle greatly to ever get any traction on this aspect of the game.

So yes, I 100% agree with the idea of turning the precept "Scan Matter" into a precept that causes this sentinel, who by itself sacrifices many benefits that other pets bring which I think is the point of having cool unique pick and choose sentinels, into a precept that takes one aspect of the game and vastly improves it.

1. The sentinel takes Maximum rank with the Orb Vallis to obtain. So it already takes time and effort to obtain.
  2. The plants in question are an obscure aspect of the game many players will not know about until they begin to dive into the neat little ideas that Warframe has been accumulating.
  3. By equipping Oxylus, you are trading all of the potential of the companion away for some scanning, just like Helios (if you don't count the weak points helios makes)

• 3 years later...

Just got Oxylus, i'm a few years late because i procrastinated hard on making sentinels and companions other than Dethcube prime.

Tbh i like Oxylus...he's the only sentinel that has three precepts.

By my god is this mod useless, does it even work? I can't see it.

It needs to do something that would work in both Open world and normal missions...so Oxylus won't be solely used for Orb valis, plains or deimos.

Something like scanning Minerals, like Argon crystals containers for example, after scanning one, it will reveal all the other containers that have that item on the map.

This would be useful in farming specific resources.

Scan an Argon crystal container, and it will reveal them on the map.

What do you think?

The mod's useless because the sentinel takes several seconds to scan a single plant and needs line of sight throughout the entire process. That's not going to happen if you're moving around at anything approaching normal rates. So in normal gameplay, it does basically nothing. And if you slow down and stand in place to let the sentinel do its thing, you might as well just use a normal scanner and take a real sentinel which has useful combat abilities.

2 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

The mod's useless because the sentinel takes several seconds to scan a single plant and needs line of sight throughout the entire process.

That's Botanist, not Scan Matter.

It would be great if it were faster.  But I find even without slowing down to let it work, it's still a nice little passive resource collector in plant tilesets, in all but things like lightspeed trash capture missions.  Maybe even more than making it faster, I wish it were combined with one of the other mods.  Call it "Bioscientist" and merge it with Scan Aquatic maybe.

Scan Matter I don't think I've used.  But the low uptime makes me not even remotely interested.   If it were remade from scratch, a mining function would make a ton of sense.

10 hours ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

Tbh i like Oxylus...he's the only sentinel that has three precepts.

By my god is this mod useless, does it even work? I can't see it.

It needs to do something that would work in both Open world and normal missions...so Oxylus won't be solely used for Orb valis, plains or deimos.

Something like scanning Minerals, like Argon crystals containers for example, after scanning one, it will reveal all the other containers that have that item on the map.

This would be useful in farming specific resources.

Scan an Argon crystal container, and it will reveal them on the map.

What do you think?

If you want to see loot on map use animal instinct can use in addition to scan matter. And it is helpful on planets that require plants for certain apothics if you have botanist. 

4 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

The mod's useless because the sentinel takes several seconds to scan a single plant and needs line of sight throughout the entire process. 

Maxing out mod takes less than a few second I even run around on earth and other plants with wukong cloud form and it scans. 

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

That's Botanist, not Scan Matter.

It would be great if it were faster.  But I find even without slowing down to let it work, it's still a nice little passive resource collector in plant tilesets, in all but things like lightspeed trash capture missions.  Maybe even more than making it faster, I wish it were combined with one of the other mods.  Call it "Bioscientist" and merge it with Scan Aquatic maybe.

Scan Matter I don't think I've used.  But the low uptime makes me not even remotely interested.   If it were remade from scratch, a mining function would make a ton of sense.

I only use oxylus with wukong on speed runs and with Octavia for fishing. Scan Aquatic is far the best and makes fishing easier. Labels hotspots and unlimited luminous dye supply that only works if you have rod out. 

Well, for you who have all loot radar mods, then it's useless for you but for those who don't, it's a mod to use until you can use a better one

- Thief's wit requires 7 mod capacity on warframe which may be crucial for new players for early build mods like health or shield

- Loot detector comes from nightwave store which people would choose other auras for other utility or damage

- Animal instinct comes from nightmare missions where not every player has the access and the chance to get it is random

At best, it would be reducing the cooldown and mark the location with glows that you can see through walls and distance (wall hack loot seeker mod)