Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I don't like Equinox

JackHargreav

She has pretty good abilities and her design is also nice. I like her overall.

But she has range based abilities. Which is fine for a CC ability but I find It annoying on her 3rd, it's pretty much useless on the plains and more open tilesets.

I died with her a lot when I was doing bounties on the plains despite having my 3rd ability on. I tried to move as much as I could, but even that didn't help much. Is this just me not handling her bad?

1 minute ago, JackHargreav said:

it's pretty much useless on the plains and more open tilesets.

This is something that basically every Area-of-Effect ability in the game is going to have an issue with. I'm not sure that is much of a concern since you have access to ranged weaponry that is supposed to round out that weakness. 

Game design is also set up in a way intended for you to change loadouts according to the demand of the mission since not every weapon or every frame is supposed to be one that handles all problems themselves. If you have issues with the frame in that environment then you should use a different frame while in open world. Otherwise, you can use the alternate mod configurations to give you more durability in that scenario at the cost of your frame's offense. Flow+Quick Thinking(and sometimes +Rage) can be a good combination for less durable frames.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

This is something that basically every Area-of-Effect ability in the game is going to have an issue with. I'm not sure that is much of a concern since you have access to ranged weaponry that is supposed to round out that weakness. 

Game design is also set up in a way intended for you to change loadouts according to the demand of the mission since not every weapon or every frame is supposed to be one that handles all problems themselves. If you have issues with the frame in that environment then you should use a different frame while in open world. Otherwise, you can use the alternate mod configurations to give you more durability in that scenario at the cost of your frame's offense. Flow+Quick Thinking(and sometimes +Rage) can be a good combination for less durable frames.

While a good point, I'm just going to add that range is not in proportion with other missions. Normal mission if you max range, abilities can be stupid big and no enemy can be in LOS without being effected. Yet in Open world, most range based effects don't seem to go beyond melee range and with how far enemies can stand and shoot I understand OPs issue. 

I'm not saying that abilities have different ranges between the two, just the difference in close quarters vs open world can make the effectiveness of range worthless to some degree.

22 minutes ago, Zelmen said:

While a good point, I'm just going to add that range is not in proportion with other missions. Normal mission if you max range, abilities can be stupid big and no enemy can be in LOS without being effected. Yet in Open world, most range based effects don't seem to go beyond melee range and with how far enemies can stand and shoot I understand OPs issue.  

No, it's just a matter of perspective. The distances appear smaller in closed environments.

As for Equinox, she is quite squishy and her 3rd ability is only a small buff. It should not be used to tank.
Use Energy Transfer and stack Maim on the day form, then switch to night form to heal. Really, ET is a must-have mod for that frame (that should be a baseline ability).

Edited by Runiq
  • Like 1

You could make a Duality build where switching between forms can allow you to have a specter of the other that has perfect accuracy depending on the weapon held during the split. And the damage for the specter is increased a lot as well. Plus with duration and power strength when you switch to day form you gain a speed and damage buff of like 80%. And night form gives you more armor and shields. So she is capable of a little survivability. 

That is the only alternative that can I suggest for the plains. Bringing a fast shooting sniper or even opticor vandal would be OP since the specter never reloads and shoots non-stop till the enemies are dead. 

Equinox definitely isn't well-suited to open-world gameplay.
She only has average mobility, and her powers (as noted above) are range-based.

With that said, I think that's fine? There are plenty of frames who are ill-suited for open-world zones.
Ember, Mag, Khora, Harrow, Octavia, Vauban... just to name a few.

Not every frame has to be suited for every use case.
Likewise, not everyone has to like every frame. I absolutely loathe Nidus. And that's OK.

Embrace everything about her, thats what I did anyway, her night form heals and can become something of a tank. The main purpose for her is for you to be switching in between forms, but if you are just trying to stay with one form being a melee weapon you like with life strike to heal yourself.

7 minutes ago, auxy said:

Equinox definitely isn't well-suited to open-world gameplay.
She only has average mobility, and her powers (as noted above) are range-based.

"Only ranged based" Equinox is way more than her 2 and 4

36 minutes ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

Not liking her is something I can understand.  Your reasoning, however, is quite amusing. 

Alright. So me dying because her 3rd ability is range based and me not liking her for this reason is amusing.

I go a lot to the open world maps. If that helps to understand why I tried using her.

4 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Alright. So me dying because her 3rd ability is range based and me not liking her for this reason is amusing.

I go a lot to the open world maps. If that helps to understand why I tried using her.

switch to her night form Press 4 kill enemies press 4 again and heal, switch back to day.

leaving her 3 on all the time in night form and you barely even need healing - she's a beast.

building a max range day form is also devastatingly effective on the plains - but admittedly takes some forma and practice.

I think she is in a good place at the moment - the only thing I find frustrating is that a good night form build has different polarities than a good day form.  My day form equinox has 6 formas, my night has 4, and my prime has 2 as I debate which way to go knowing regardless I'll need another prime to take the other side.