Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

That deluxe skin looks more appropriate for Saryn than Khora

Jarriaga

1 hour ago, Ced23Ric said:

Fool, please. Titania?!

I feel like the plant vibe could be stronger but I'd totally dig a more floral skin for her eventually. Saryn is a Pitcher Plant, Oberon is a Tree, Khora is getting Rose vibes. Titania ought to be something like a lily maybe.

9 hours ago, EmberStar said:

Did you even look at the design?  Her arms and legs have overlapping scales that look a lot like flower petals or thick spiny leaves (like an agave plant.)  There's a similar motif across the chest.  Saryn is generally considered to be the plant/poison based Waframe.  Khora's theme seems to loosely be whips, chains, and spiders with a random side helping of crazy cat lady.  (I'm pretty sure the overall body shape is meant to suggest a spider, and she has a unique syandanna option that adds four small projections to her back that could easily be seen as symbolic / vestigial spider legs.)  Since the Deluxe skin seems to have a "flowers and leaves" motif, it seems kind of out of left field to give it to Khora.

Saryns more of a plague and disease Warframe is she not? I always saw her abilities as having more of a fungal theme than a plant one, what with the spores and whatnot and the "petals" that you're talking about look to me more like the ribbing you get on certain tree mushrooms. Her deluxe is definitely plants, but he standard and alts have way more of a fungal vibe than a plant one.

And yeah Khora seems to be crazy cat lady spidey-domme but depending on how it's designed this new one can represent that as well from an eastern aesthetic. I don't know where liger is from but this costume seems to take a lot of cues from more traditional japanese mediums in a similar vein as Monster Hunter does and the thorns, violence, and dominance motif still plays a role in it (if not the spider part).

2 hours ago, (PS4)FatMacBrbn said:

Maybe had those petals and flower stuff been replaced with some BDSM accessory stuff.

I'd buy that skin. >.>

2 hours ago, (PS4)FatMacBrbn said:

And some fur trim perhaps as well. I also say that cause I wonder how the game would handle fur texture on a frame.

Clearly it would handle it better than the Sonic movie xD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't saryn's theme infestation/virus? her default skin and even her ability have little to do with plants. She does have a flower themed deluxe, but c'mon, like this is also a deluxe.

I agree to say that Khora don't fit the flower theme tho. non-thematic skins should be left to the tenno-gens, and deluxes should be, you know, a deluxe version of the regular appearance.

EDIT: I worry about how good it'll look in game tho, Atlas was a good example, the textures and lighting are very hard to pull-off. Particularly the colour gradient might be lost in the process. Also Vauban-ass issue might occur here too, and we'll get stretchy ass-basket.

Edited by Showerwalker

I mean, I get where the artist is coming from. Chinese Mythology has a the case of "Yao Jing" or "Jing Ling", which are spirits that were formally animals/objects, but gained sentience and powers through self refinement (there's many ways of self refinement). Such spirits are normally beautiful women, be it the good or evil kind. Things you may have heard of include the Nine Tailed Fox from the Investiture of the Gods (Fengshen Yanyi) or the White Snake from Madame White Snake (Bai She Zhuan). Or maybe the various spider demons and white bone demon from Journey to the West (Xiyou Ji) which coincidentally contains Nezha and Wukong.

In this case, I think the artist is trying to depict Khora as a "Flower Spirit/Flower Demon", which is to say, a plant which has refined its power until it can take on a human body. The whole "refined Chinese princess" aesthetic (yeah, even including the cloth around her waist which is what you see in Xianxia/Wuxia costumes if you watch those) plus the flower theme seems to go along that line, especially with the hair accessories. While I personally love Chinese stuff in general, this skin doesn't quite cut it, because I think the flower half of the aesthetic is quite overdone. There is too much emphasis on the flowers.

Then comes the Zettai Ryouki, the arm gloves and fishnets on the butt, which kind of suggests the typical fanservice anime Kunoichi, but you don't see that anywhere else on the skin. The whole effect comes off as a horrible looking mash up of mythology and conflicting fanservice elements - are you trying to make a Chinese Ojou Sama or a hot Kunoichi? They DO NOT work together because one is necessarily refined, the other basal fanservice. Never have I seen a "Yao Jing" wearing fishnets except in a low budget Chinese Drama to make her look like a typical brothel owner. Of course, the flowery thing on the breast is another irksome thing - it looks like some tryhard anime evil demon girl's metal bikini with edginess and spikes for no reason, when you would expect something smoother, like maybe a frilled silk camisole like design. The added flowers above the scaly metal bra, for lack of a better description, add nothing visually except unnecessary, unrefined clutter.

My verdict, as someone who loves anime, fanservice, Chinese Mythology and Xianxia/Wuxia is that this takes a lot of good basis, be it fanservice or Chinese Mythos inspiration and combines in a an utterly wrong fashion. Instead of creating something that is desirable, the overall clash in elements actually render the skin overly cluttered and destroys the inherent beauty that comes from such inspirational backgrounds. The overall visual clutter just isn't doing the skin any justice. I'm not saying Liger is a bad artist, since I do think his art for Nezha and Nidus is on point and good (Atlas is pretty meh for me, too bulky), but I think he was aiming for far too much in the case of Khora and ended up with a mess.

It's a bit like combining Ice Cream and Whisky Barrel Smoked Bacon (yeah you can get that if you know where to find it) - they are both delicious separately, but they don't mix for most and generally only someone of weird taste would enjoy it together.

I really don't understand this plant-fashion. Who even make these suits? Not enough gold for Baro, lol. 

The art and all is of course cool, but I just don't see how it fit in this game. This is also a nightmare from a technical view, unnecessary work. There will be a lot of clipping, with the skin itself and with any attachments. But yea judging by recent frames designs DE don't seem to care about that kind of compatibility anymore though.

Im been playing Khora mainly since she came out and I hate this deluxe skin, the helmet and the torso looks overly design in my opinion, I think their Idea was some kind of japanese geisha, but is way to much, this is one deluxe skin I won't be buying, Im more hype for Khora mithra than this.

Edited by -NightmareMoon-

On 2019-05-05 at 9:49 AM, SirTobe said:

I really don't understand this plant-fashion. Who even make these suits? Not enough gold for Baro, lol. 

The art and all is of course cool, but I just don't see how it fit in this game. This is also a nightmare from a technical view, unnecessary work. There will be a lot of clipping, with the skin itself and with any attachments. But yea judging by recent frames designs DE don't seem to care about that kind of compatibility anymore though.

Deluxe skins are from a point of design. The lore doesn't matter. And this frame will have alot less clipping than Nidus deluxe skin.

On 2019-05-05 at 12:01 AM, Jarriaga said:

While I am certain they won't scrap it and modeling has begun, I see no reason why they can't assign it to Saryn or Wisp or a future plant frame. My issue is not with the design per se, but rather who it is tied to. Khora should have a spider themed skin.

And I'm saying they won't. If the design is for a specific theme (regardless of your opinion on the matter) DE do not change these things.

• Like 1

On 2019-05-05 at 2:49 PM, SirTobe said:

Given what we know from The Silver Grove they are probably alternate designs from Sylvana, an infestation Biologist who is also a Biosphere Engineer. Also remember that the Infestation isn't exclusively a virus of the flesh, the lotus used to tell us it was a "plant-like life form"

Edited by SilentMobius

19 hours ago, ShadowExodus said:

Deluxe skins are from a point of design. The lore doesn't matter. 

That's what I meant, it makes no sense. Why spend time and effort into something that doesn't fit the game, when lack of time is what they always blame for all the things they don't do? It wouild be more acceptable for Tennogen though.

13 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

Given what we know from The Silver Grove they are probably alternate designs from Sylvana, an infestation Biologist who is also a Biosphere Engineer. Also remember that the Infestation isn't exclusively a virus of the flesh, it originated in plant matter.

That would make more sense. Maybe a long stretch for most frames, but I'll accept it to ease my mind 😄

• Like 1

Perhaps its the climate I live in but I'm not seeing the Rose/thorns vibe everyone is going on about for Khoras deluxe. To me it appears more like a succulent/Cactus. Now that said a spider theme for Khora would have been incredible and I'm saddened that the artist providing the concept didn't go that route however I don't see Sayrn in the design at all.

When I think of Sayrn with the exception of her orchid outfit I don't think of flowers. I get why people want her to look pretty but to me that just doesn't fit her design. Elegance isn't a part of what she is or what she does. She doesn't seam like she is meant to lure you in, she knows what she does and she isn't going to try to deceive and hide that. When I look at her I think of fungus I think of the spores and how from the moment you see her its already too late.

With Khora I think beauty but in a deadly manner. Spiders, Flytraps, Jelly fish, anything that might trap and ensnare. Succulents/Roses fall under the beautiful but dangerous vibe so in that way I feel the deluxe suits her. Would a spider them have been better, a million times yes but it still works for Khora. The Vinari design is also well enough done that it doesn't feel like stretching too far. You know who its suppose to be when you see the pair of them. Another option that I would have liked to see would be something akin to a lion tamers attire though there is little doubt that it would clash with the overall game theme.

I feel if anyone deserves a flower them then Tittania should be it. Her quest revolves around the various flowers you can find in game and her concept of the fae queen would fit nicely. Though it will more then likely won't happen due to how the bug like aspect of her design is pushed more then anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-05-07 at 3:20 PM, SirTobe said:

That's what I meant, it makes no sense. Why spend time and effort into something that doesn't fit the game, when lack of time is what they always blame for all the things they don't do? It wouild be more acceptable for Tennogen though.

Take note that designers, gameplay programmers and etc are different teams. The lack of time to do things is more or less from the addition of content to the game. Quests, Railjack, and all the big stuff are on Steve's side of the job and people under him. 

8 hours ago, ShadowExodus said:

Take note that designers, gameplay programmers and etc are different teams. The lack of time to do things is more or less from the addition of content to the game. Quests, Railjack, and all the big stuff are on Steve's side of the job and people under him. 

Of course, but that's irrelevant in this case. The "quests, railjack, and all the big stuff" are being done as we speak either way, while these designers and artists are working on a skin that barely fit the game. There are usually style-guides available to keep different designers within a theme, but which seems to have been ignored. We have Tenno, Orokin, Sentient, Corpus, Grineer, Infested, and soon even new faction, all with very unique and distinct styles, but for some reason they go for.. plants?

I mean we all know by now how long they can take to make a deluxe skin, and I would prefer to see that time spent on something that at least fit the game, not something that someone just thought looked cool for whatever reason. Even the Norg-hat is more lore-friendly than this, lol.

On 2019-05-22 at 12:25 AM, SirTobe said:

Of course, but that's irrelevant in this case. The "quests, railjack, and all the big stuff" are being done as we speak either way, while these designers and artists are working on a skin that barely fit the game. There are usually style-guides available to keep different designers within a theme, but which seems to have been ignored. We have Tenno, Orokin, Sentient, Corpus, Grineer, Infested, and soon even new faction, all with very unique and distinct styles, but for some reason they go for.. plants?

I mean we all know by now how long they can take to make a deluxe skin, and I would prefer to see that time spent on something that at least fit the game, not something that someone just thought looked cool for whatever reason. Even the Norg-hat is more lore-friendly than this, lol.

I will never understand the whole "this doesn't fit the game" schtick. Especially with the kind of tennogen that gets approved time and time again. How does one know if that the art created doesn't fit the game? I'm pretty sure the developers themselves have a say on what fits the game or not since they're literally the creators. How does an onlooker tell a creator how their art is supposed to look? How do you know if the new faction even fits the warframe theme? What defines that idea in your head to say what fits or doesn't fit in the game? It makes no sense if DE themselves are fine with the skin then who are we to tell them otherwise? Plus there's already Saryn Orchid, so there is already a plant-like deluxe skin in the game already.

And I'm pretty sure that they stopped making lore related deluxe skins after Valkyr Gersemi. Actually Valkyr Gersemi and to an extent Excalibur Proto-Armor are the only lore deluxe skins. All other deluxe skins henceforth are just cosmetic options with no relation to the lore.

• Like 1