Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Void Keys as an event ?

Makunogo

so a clan mate was talking about how cool it was doing keys and i thought. wibci (wouldn't it be cool if) DE did this as an event 

since i have noticed that we dont really have a lot of events in warframe.

of course any saved relics specifically used for this would be deleted after the event was done (if that was necessary ? not sure)

i have never done the old relic farm system and there is a chunk of players who i have seen who enjoy it. 

so what are your thoughts on pitching DE to have this as an event? 

would you support the idea? what are drawbacks? is it worth the time to reintroduce it? should it just stay as nostalgia? 

of course since its an event it could have some added twists like instead of the normal 5 items it could have 10 or something.

milestones for hitting a certain amount of time/waves/ ect 

exclusive rare drops like a new emphera for hitting all the milestones ( vs a trash drop rate so everyone has a chance at getting it)

give me your thoughts and opinions - 

also if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

• Like 1

There are no good reasons to make such event considering we have relics for the prime items. Void key farming was tedious and the grind for the prime parts even more as you had to stay for as long as you could in endless void missions to make your key worth the grind, for slim chances to get the prime part you needed at a certain rotation.
I can see your idea, making event nodes of certain void missions requiring a key to access them, pretty much like it works for razorback armada and balor fomorian, and in the special mission node be able to obtain prime parts at a certain rotation, of course there isnt much appeal on doing this unless you put vaulted item in the rewards, which would beat the purpose of Prime Unvault periods. Not sure how much of the playerbase would prefer this method over the regular unvaulting with relics put in void missions/bounties.

• Like 2

The relics are way more efficient at farming certain parts but IMO the void keys were much more fun.  The void is a great tileset and just being in there was fun.  Teaming up with people and going for as long as you could earning different parts was fun.  Seeing that elusive part pop up as everyone celebrated their small victory together.  I still have a huge amount of cryotic from Pluto excavations farming T3 and T4 keys back then.  Ahh the good ole days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diavoros said:

There are no good reasons to make such event considering we have relics for the prime items. Void key farming was tedious and the grind for the prime parts even more as you had to stay for as long as you could in endless void missions to make your key worth the grind, for slim chances to get the prime part you needed at a certain rotation.
I can see your idea, making event nodes of certain void missions requiring a key to access them, pretty much like it works for razorback armada and balor fomorian, and in the special mission node be able to obtain prime parts at a certain rotation, of course there isnt much appeal on doing this unless you put vaulted item in the rewards, which would beat the purpose of Prime Unvault periods. Not sure how much of the playerbase would prefer this method over the regular unvaulting with relics put in void missions/bounties.

Sadly, there is no "dislike", only 5 "succ" buttons when reacting to posts... bcs void keys were better as ppl would actualy stay longer than few rounds of nuking entire map for 20 minutes. But then again, there were less cheese as operators, free ressurects, catchmoons etc so propably would not make a change now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, XzWasPzX said:

I´d like to try the keys system. Personally I dont understand when a squad decides to leave a fissure after first 5 mins so... it would be interesting to seek a bit of endurance.

Its called "Recruit chat". No, I'm not being condensing. It was exactly that.

The only reason keys were "endurance" was for 2 things:

• It was to maximize the number of drops in roataions to get the most out of the key (And there was a VERY good chance the drops would be Orokin Cells and Fusion Core (Endo), and MAYBE a prime part on Rotation C (20 Minutes/Wave 4th Round)
  • It was INVITE ONLY. So those who ever got into the mission were ALWAYS like minded people that had to use Recruiting chat reguardless. If the Host wanted to go 5 minutes, he would get people who would go 5 minutes asking for Invites; if it was 60 minutes, he would get people asking to go with that. If it was "As long as possible" He would GET people asking for that.

Its no different. You burn Relics faster, but have a chance for it to be always a prime part or a Forma that is in some relics. But you also get Relics easier than you did back when Keys were here.

"Endurance" still exists here. But since getting parts is easier now, people dont see the need to waste themselves.

Ugh the keys weren't "cool" it was the feeling that people got from being able to "beat the system" which gave them a "reason" to spend endless time in endless missions. 

Since they can still spend endless time in functionally the same endless missions (the void didn't actually go anywhere) but choose not to, it seems like it was more the "beat the system" aspect that they "loved" vs the actual time spent/gameplay angle. 

Edited by Oreades
  • Like 1

Man, I gotta be one of the rare few who hated the keys since it was such a hassle to camp in a tunnel behind a Booben during survival while using Nekros, only pressing 3 (because you know desecrate was different back then). All while everyone was spraying weapons into the Vortex.

So much for the endurance aspect.

There are a lot of misconceptions about the void key system, and more cautios part of me actually might even see some of them as parts of some bigger picture. Since some of them are present in the topic, I'm going to use the corresponding quotes.

10 hours ago, Diavoros said:

Void key farming was tedious

Not true. Because of how system worked, you could accumulate the keys over time by playing the game and leveling things on endless nodes. When the new primes dropped, chances are, you already had plenty of keys for them.
Double not true if you had friends to play with. Every key you got from any mission turned into into not 1 but 1+X runs in the void where X is the amount of friends/clanmates you had on the mission with you at the time. Often, when the new prime dropped, we gathered up, opened the drop locations (discovering which or waiting for others to post them was a small game in itself) and compared our inventories to see what missions we can run right off the bat.
Now, with new primes, it's like "Can't wait to farm more relics." "Yay!" <-- Said no friend of mine and not a single person in the clan ever.
(Also that quote is triple not true for some time for T4, because we had quite a few weeks/months where T4 key packs were 5k syndicate offerings.)

1 hour ago, Kaotyke said:

It was to maximize the number of drops in roataions to get the most out of the key (And there was a VERY good chance the drops would be Orokin Cells and Fusion Core (Endo), and MAYBE a prime part on Rotation C (20 Minutes/Wave 4th Round)

Another common... wouldn't say myth since it did happen, but only by the 2nd half of Void Key's life cycle. Originally, and for quite a while, the only drops you could get were prime parts, keys from Tier 1, forma BPs and built formas.
At some point, however, DE specifically introduced cells, cores (mostly for endless) and removed the built forma from the rewards table. It is like they were trying to specifically bloat the drops and make the system as unappealing and annoying as possible. Then there were talks about how drop tables were "diluted". That in turn led to the Prime Vault being a thing in the first place. More sensible people suggested to remove the trash from rotations and mission rewards. But in the end, we got what we got, with several A4 pages worth of relics and their chaotic loot spread.

Relics seem more efficient, yes. But personally, they killed anything even remotely special Warframe had to offer when getting the new prime parts. Instead of a special tileset for it, you get all the same locations from the rest of the star chart. Instead of going to T4 with friends to face harder-hitting enemies and Captain "I won't ever shut up even if you kill me" Vor to get some prime bits, you just... well, go to the usual nodes and fight the usual enemies. Idk. It just feels soooo mundane now.

Edited by EvilChaosKnight

il y a 46 minutes, Oreades a dit :

Ugh the keys weren't "cool" it was the feeling that people got from being able to "beat the system" which gave them a "reason" to spend endless time in endless missions. 

Since they can still spend endless time in functionally the same endless missions (the void didn't actually go anywhere) but choose not to, it seems like it was more the "beat the system" aspect that they "loved" vs the actual time spent/gameplay angle. 

It's not about being cool or uncool. It was about incentiving people to push themselves. It was still available to players that werent advanced or anything but still allowed the more advanced players to benefit more from their key. 

We might not have the same definition of "Beat the system", but for me beating the system would be some kind of exploit use or something similar, which it wasnt since it was used as designed.

As much as player like myself loves endless gameplay, if there is no incentive behind it, it's less likely to be  done since we all have a life and endless is time consuming, at least more than doing capture fissures.

I would say it's actually not cool back in the void key era because of this

Endless missions like T4 survival drop more keys than prime parts, even worse you may have tons of keys, numerous forma blueprints and common prime parts but not a single one of what you want. I had one T4 defense for ash prime blueprint with a random squad, 60 waves and we didn't get it so we push to wave 80. You weren't this strong back at that time and T4 has 3x damage boost on enemies so they hit 3 times harder. Long struggle and what do you get? More keys and common parts. Maybe you can get more from one key compared to relics but it's very dependent on RNG so if you like playing ESO with that kind of loot table, you will like the keys

15 hours ago, Makunogo said:

i have never done the old relic farm system and there is a chunk of players who i have seen who enjoy it. 

Good news, I have a way for you to simulate the joys of the old system in modern day Warframe!

1) Have each member of the group that's going to participate in this historical reenactment all build a few Orokin Derelict Survival keys.

2) Take turns using keys to run ODS so that each person can experience the joy of key sharing.

3) After every rotation C, enter 😞 into chat to express your displeasure at not getting Nova prime (chassis?) just like in the old days.

4) Stay at least 60 minutes before extracting, gotta get the most out of those keys!

5) Repeat process until you start to hate yourself.

* The old system was fine for having something to do and amassing a large collection of extra prime stuff...it wasn't as good as what we have today for getting the new shiny, I don't miss it. The long survivals and defense missions didn't bother me as much as the T3/T4 exterminates...those keys were hard to come by and you burned through so many running a mission that wasn't much fun.

5 hours ago, TrixieLulamoonn said:

... bcs void keys were better as ppl would actualy stay longer than few rounds of nuking entire map for 20 minutes. 

Except it wasn't. 

Rarely did people stay all that long. There was frequently That Guy. They'd leave early (without using a key, of course). They'd lie about having keys. They'd be a boat anchor, key or no, making things much harder, especially if you did reach past 45min. There was all sorts of bad behavior with key runs--and it was frequent. 

I kinda miss the Void being the high end (such as it was) of gameplay, but I do not miss the keys. Not a bit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

Except it wasn't. 

Rarely did people stay all that long. There was frequently That Guy. They'd leave early (without using a key, of course). They'd lie about having keys. They'd be a boat anchor, key or no, making things much harder, especially if you did reach past 45min. There was all sorts of bad behavior with key runs--and it was frequent. 

I kinda miss the Void being the high end (such as it was) of gameplay, but I do not miss the keys. Not a bit. 

They were grindy, will give that, relics in terms of getting what we want are so many times better, the amount of painfull hours that spent in those missions.... could be spent better. But atleast it incentivized ppl to stay longer bcs key gave rewards forever as long as we endured the fight and also getting keys was much harder than now getting relics literaly everywhere. Also did not meet ever those "bad ppl" on void keys, usualy was the host, on relics tho, all the time.

Edited by TrixieLulamoonn
  • Like 1

Another benefit of void keys over relics that never gets mentioned is how relics force you to sit and wait until the enemies are glowing to get your 10 reactant. In practically every game mode if you kill the enemies too fast, you run the risk of not getting enough reactant which kills any motivation to continue the run knowing you're a rotation behind. Either make everything glow or just remove this mechanic because all it does is slow down gameplay.

My worst experience was in survival where even when we waited for the enemies to glow nothing would happen and enough time was wasted that there was literally 3 seconds on the clock to pick up the 10th reactant that had just dropped.

Edited by (PS4)Double991
  • Like 1