Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Minor Gripe] Melee attacks didn't use to un-equip the mining tool, Synthesis scanner... and it was better that way.

SkuLLtheDread

When searching for Simaris' targets, I used to equip the Synthesis scanner and then fly through the level, killing things with my melee weapon and occasionally right-clicking (aim) to bring up the scanner, to "check for traces of the target". Now, right-clicking will automatically hide the scanner and bring up my ranged weapon instead. If I want the scanner back, I have to select it again from the infinite zooming wheel thing (or keyboard shortcut).

This was also an extremely helpful feature when it came to mining - you could kill that one annoying enemy with your melee and then go straight back into mining. It was much faster and less tedious to smack that one annoying enemy in the cave and continue mining.

It's not a huge game-breaking inconvenience, but I did notice that when I was doing a mining run for Nightwave ("X rare minerals from Orb Vallis") I had to constantly re-equip the mining tool after every random little spider I squished. I ended up manually equipping it dozens of times for that one challenge.

At the risk of getting told to get over it, or how my problem is not a problem and how dare I waste DE's time with it, etc... I still wanted to post it to see if anyone feels the same. My suggestion would be to change it so that "aiming" with Melee equipped doesn't immediately throw you into your Primary or Secondary weapon, but to the last thing you actually "aimed" with.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

I'm with you, it was a nice QoL thing that had no reason to be removed, on consoles is even harder to find a button to add as shortcut to be faster on reequip, expecially for something you are not gonna use every mission like the mining tool

Honestly i agree that some fixes need to occur. having to constantly re equip the scanner every time i have to melee kill a enemy that is pestering me when i was hunting around for plants for silver grove specter challenge was rather annoying.

Edited by Avienas

Yeah, DE never really did clean up all the melee auto-equip bugs, did they? I'm in full agreement. Hitting Fire or ADS after using a melee attack should switch back to whatever weapon or tool you had equipped previously, rather than back to guns. I'd go one further and suggest DE entirely retool their weapon-handling system to NOT equip melee weapons at all, and just temporarily replace your gun/tool with the melee weapon visually. It's what Space Marine does. It would solve most of these weapon swap issues, and hopefully prevent me from unequipping all of my weapons on accident and being unable to fight.

While we're at it, actually - do the same with Gear items. If I have a gear item equipped and I hit weapon swap, bring me back to whatever weapon I had equipped previously, rather than always to my pistol. It's annoying. Oh, and stop using the ground equip animation for Archguns if I happen to swap to a Scanner and back to my Archgun during an ARCHWING mission. I have no reason to summon the weapon from above when it's attached to my actual Archwing.

It's annoying. I've started taking Wukong and Helios Prime when I want to scan, fish or mine. Letting Celestial Twin and Helios deal with the enemies that come to close to me. It wouldn't break my heart if they changed it back. 

23 hours ago, SkuLLtheDread said:

At the risk of getting told to get over it, or how my problem is not a problem and how dare I waste DE's time with it, etc... I still wanted to post it to see if anyone feels the same. My suggestion would be to change it so that "aiming" with Melee equipped doesn't immediately throw you into your Primary or Secondary weapon, but to the last thing you actually "aimed" with.

No, you are definitely not the only one who hates this change. It made the Jupiter tileset change an utterly enormous pain in the arse, with all the new things that needed scanning.