Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why can't people doing higher Eidolon Quests calm down?

Usei_Prime

Question

Hello,

Look I play Warframe to let off steam after a hard day at work.  I play a game. So why do people treat the higher Eidolon quest hunt as something akin to playing a 100,000 dollar contest?

I have played a couple of the higher quests before, but this one was bad.  First off in the other games I've played, the Eidolon shard that comes from the first battle are on the plains, not in the lake.  Second, I am an older adult so my finger work on a keyboard sometimes fails me.  I treat it as part of the fun.  It is not fun to be reported for "not helping", especially when the Teralyst are targeting me with everything they've got. 

The entire point is to play the game and have fun.  That's it.  Not turning it into something like a competition or worse, work.  I am just...just trying to get this off my chest, because I usually can't say what I would like to say to some of the customers at my job, and I said I use Warframe to calm down and have fun.  Why is that so hard to understand?

Thanks

• Like 11

On 2019-07-26 at 7:42 AM, Lutesque said:

To be honest with you.... This is not just an issue with other players.... even DE seem to forget what the purpose of Games are... to have fun and relax.... and even with a friendly and patient squad these Eidolon Hunts are frustrating as all hell.... by design it seems.... I can't imagine the guy/team who designed and coded the Terralyst to Fire Homing Sprinklers that can't be Avoided..

Unfortunately this.  If you watched that video with the EA (?) exec talking about how to milk people for micro-transactions, one of his points is to make something that not everyone has time to do and let the hardcore players "shame" other people into using real world currency to remain competitive.  I admit, there's not too much of that in Warframe, and DE are a lot better than their competition, but as the game gets older its only natural that there's going to be more squeeze.  Look at how rare Potatoes are now.  You used to be able to get 2-3 a week, and Gift of the Lotus almost always had one or two, but outside of Nightwave it's super rare to see any type of potato, to the point where I have 40 weapons crafted but no Catalyst for them.  The long time players don't notice this because they have all the potatoes they need.

I still haven't killed a teralyst.  I grinded a tier 2 amp (212) by mining and making Exceptional Eidolon Cores for standing.  I can't get in a group because people ask if you have Void Strike or Wisp and I haven't even opened up Madurai or Unaru yet.  Maybe I'm trying to do it too early, before I have tons of focus abilities, but it's the only way to get arcanes and once you have the star chart opened up those arcanes are recommended for doing almost anything.  My point is, first time I take one down is going to be solo, and it's going to be a long time before I can get the higher tier eidolons.

11 hours ago, limorkil said:

I still haven't killed a teralyst.  I grinded a tier 2 amp (212) by mining and making Exceptional Eidolon Cores for standing.  I can't get in a group because people ask if you have Void Strike or Wisp and I haven't even opened up Madurai or Unaru yet.  Maybe I'm trying to do it too early, before I have tons of focus abilities, but it's the only way to get arcanes and once you have the star chart opened up those arcanes are recommended for doing almost anything.  My point is, first time I take one down is going to be solo, and it's going to be a long time before I can get the higher tier eidolons.

The early days are the worst. The best way to get focus exp to buff your operator is to do hydrolyst captures, which counter-intuitively requires a pretty buff operator to do cleanly.

I wouldn't worry about joining Konzu pugs and chilldolons in recruitment chat and essentially leeching for sentient cores and focus shards. That doesn't mean you should afk though. Its a learning opportunity so pay attention and if your carry asks you to do something, do it. Ask if you don't understand, so you can learn the how and the why. If the run fails and 1 or more players blame you for it, I wouldn't take them very seriously. The reality is if they can't carry a 2x3 by themselves, they need to do a lot of self improvement before they can talk down someone else for messing up.

Edited by Lolacrayola

I really suggest not playing tridolons in pub, the toxicity at times can be really annoying, one of the reasons why I stopped playing it once I maxed my focus (only play when NW needs it). 

If you still want to play, use recruit and make it clear you are a casual and will not be rushing it. 

The reason for the toxicity is the limited time and the value of the rewards, it's just the kind of people it attracts I guess. 

There are tons of more fun things to do in warframe than that sad epilepsy simulator. 

On ‎2019‎-‎07‎-‎26 at 2:42 PM, Lutesque said:

Because Time Is Platinum... and as we already know.... being rich in a fake currency in a video game is of the Utmost Importance....

This is spot on. Check the plat prices for rank 3 Legendary Arcanes and you will understand where the stress comes from. Doesn't excuse any bad behaviour of course, and let's not get into the meaningfulness of it all. But the difference between 3 and 4 Hydrolyst captures (per night) is 25%, the drop chance of Legendary is 5% and you need 10 to make a rank 3...

Feel free to play non-meta, chill and have fun and whatever casual excuses you have for not playing efficiently. But do so solo or in premade groups of friends.

If you are joining  random people you are expected to reach some standarts. Failing to reach those may cause other people frustration.

14 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

The reason for the toxicity is the limited time and the value of the rewards, it's just the kind of people it attracts I guess. 

No. The reason for toxicity is the same in every game. Hardcore gamers meeting casuals. These groups have completely different definition of fun.

As for the definition of casual. I do not mean someone who plays less often, I mean someone who does not learn and/or does not want to learn or put the time or effort to learn and will play in various ways that are inefficient, while attacking anyone that even dares to criticise.

1. Casual has fun whatever happens on the screen.
  2. Hardcore gamer wants to understand mechanics and act accordingly, while doing things in most efficient manner. Many hardcore gamers refuse to "carry" freeloaders. I mean as Heinlein used to say: "There is no such thing as free lunch." Hardcore gamer has fun by playing good (or at least attempting to play good) and often having casuals in the team destroys that fun and causes frustration.

Of course there are people slightly in between depending on mood etc.

Edited by Zakkhar

Delving into yet another rant about armchair psychology from me: people like that are a product of this game. Well, not specifically "all their actions are because the game is like this", but I'm sure many people here have noticed the mentality that surrounds public lobbies and certain premade groups: people don't want to play the game. They optimize their loadouts to have the smallest opposition possible from the enemy and to do the mission in the shortest time they can. I will stress time after time that the end goal of the game is to not play it. Given that information, people will be pissed off that they are staying longer than they planned, and sometimes it's an understandable thing, specially for a day/night cycle making it not available all the time. There's not really an excuse for people to be acting like absolute douchebags towards some random person they expected to be magically mentally connected with or something, but I will also say that there is a pretty good (set of) excuse(s) for people to be inclined towards behaving like that; after all, we are shaped by the environment we're in. Personally, I started Neverwinter's dungeons going for some extra loot chests and all that funky exploration stuff, but the rewards for that quickly became obsolete to me and I just ended up starting a dungeon aiming for the end of it, not the middle of it.

4 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

If you are joining  random people you are expected to reach some standarts

It's kinda sorta the opposite: if you're doing some of them super serious meta 100% efficiency no-hit any% speedruns on a public lobby, you're subjecting yourself to pretty much anything that gets in there, and calling people out for not having something that you, yourself, deemed necessary is nothing short of being a prick. If I don't want two Trinities on my Eidolon lobby, I might as well use the chat to get a group that has one Trinity. Matter of fact, that's why I have "see all lobbies w/ info" written in black on my whiteboard right now: it's a lot easier to prepare for something you can see, instead of the game going "hey, you got put with three random people, we're starting now". Anyway, main point: if you're joining random people, you scream "I have no standards".

7 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

.If you are joining  random people you are expected to reach some standards. Failing to reach those may cause other people frustration.

Having any expectation when joining Pub is a mistake, it is frustrating for both parties not just one, especially when the "hardcore" player starts berating someone for being inefficient,

A hardcore player joining pub, as per your description is inefficient itself. 

Do not join pub if you have any expectation, make a squad whether "hardcore" or casual, no party can be blamed if they do not match up to any standards. 

I've done hundreds of tricaps, most of them in meta recruitment pugs and its really not that toxic. I have seen people who are inarticulate and/or curt, people who are stubbornly uncooperative and people who are incapable of self criticism/incapable of taking constructive criticism from others. Most of the time people are just silent and only say something if its particularly funny or particularly badly executed.

I have never seen someone lose it and berate another player for making a mistake, even a serious one like an accidental Gantulyst/Hydrolyst kill. I have never been berated by another player for making a mistake and I've made a lot of them. Stuff like that happens from time to time, even in 5x3 pugs with 200+ tricaps required to even join. Its not the end of the world if you only make 4 and that seems to be the prevailing attitude in my experience.

Edited by Lolacrayola

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Having any expectation when joining Pub is a mistake, it is frustrating for both parties not just one, especially when the "hardcore" player starts berating someone for being inefficient,

A hardcore player joining pub, as per your description is inefficient itself. 

Do not join pub if you have any expectation, make a squad whether "hardcore" or casual, no party can be blamed if they do not match up to any standards.

You are misunderstanding. I am aware that there are people at various stages of the game and game knowledge and I am willing to help/carry such people as long as they are willing to be helpful and be helped.

Having an expectation of your players to meet MINIMUM standarts and at least TRY TO contribute is not a mistake. People joining any public groups without meeting those and without any clue or/and willingness to contribute are. Typical example would be a player joining Tridolon as their first possible Eidolon experience without completely any idea (Wiki is your friend) and than after first one is killed we are just waiting because nobody is willing to say anything. And we are waiting and waiting, and after a while we are asking who did not pay. And we find out the "new guy" did not pay (and he doesnt know where and he did not know that he needs to manually loot it). The problem is that he knew he came unprepared and did not say anything at the start or ask any questions... so we waste lots of time and get frustrated while he first searches for the drop and than sometimes pays or not. But usually it turns out into a rant from such person, because someone is expecting from him to know the basics of the fight and he did not want to read anything because he did not want to "spoil it".

Nobody is berating anyone. It are usually helpful tips or questions.

Like "what do you think you can contribute to the squad/fight with the <frame picked>" other than literally any other frame can do.

Or some people pick meta characters and than proceed to not use any skills (trinity) or use them in wrong moments (harrow). They are going mad after being told what to do or just plain ignore the chat.

The casuals call it all the possible derogatory terms like toxicity, berating or blaming, because they cannot and will not take any criticism no matter the form.

Making squads it the same thing. There is no way to measure the player capability before having them do the mission. It just takes longer and I despise chat layout in this game and rather cut down any interaction to minimum.

Edited by Zakkhar

1 hour ago, Zakkhar said:

You are misunderstanding. I am aware that there are people at various stages of the game and game knowledge and I am willing to help/carry such people as long as they are willing to be helpful and be helped.

I will note this cause the rest of your statements that follow give a different picture. 

Having an expectation of your players to meet MINIMUM standarts and at least TRY TO contribute is not a mistake. People joining any public groups without meeting those and without any clue or/and willingness to contribute are. 

How do you determine minimum standards ? Can you define it? How is any player new or otherwise supposed to know what "your" minimum standards are, unless you specifically mention it before hand? 

Typical example would be a player joining Tridolon as their first possible Eidolon experience without completely any idea (Wiki is your friend) and than after first one is killed we are just waiting because nobody is willing to say anything. And we are waiting and waiting, and after a while we are asking who did not pay. And we find out the "new guy" did not pay (and he doesnt know where and he did not know that he needs to manually loot it). The problem is that he knew he came unprepared and did not say anything at the start or ask any questions... so we waste lots of time and get frustrated while he first searches for the drop and than sometimes pays or not. But usually it turns out into a rant from such person, because someone is expecting from him to know the basics of the fight and he did not want to read anything because he did not want to "spoil it".

So you are pissed? Frustrated and would prefer that he had mentioned he was not aware of it before hand? Or that said player was "a new guy "? How much time did it waste for you to wait for him? Would it have been more than waiting in recruit chat for the right person? Is it efficient this way? 

You are kinda proving my point with this example. 

Nobody is berating anyone. It are usually helpful tips or questions.

You just berated a guy using that example! 

Like "what do you think you can contribute to the squad/fight with the <frame picked>" other than literally any other frame can do.

Or some people pick meta characters and than proceed to not use any skills (trinity) or use them in wrong moments (harrow). They are going mad after being told what to do or just plain ignore the chat.

Yeah, it's called not having experience,

and newsflash, not everyone knows everything from the get go they need to learn. 

Yes it is a problem, but again we are back to the expectation issue. 

.The casuals call it all the possible derogatory terms like toxicity, berating or blaming, because they cannot and will not take any criticism no matter the form.

Cannot take criticism, Just like you are doing now? You cannot accept the fact that it would be easier to form a squad with conditions but refuse to do so. Especially when you say. 

Making squads it the same thing. There is no way to measure the player capability before having them do the mission. It just takes longer and I despise chat layout in this game and rather cut down any interaction to minimum.

So you don't want to interact with anyone but they should do everything right using telepathy? And should have all the necessary skills even if they have not played before. 

Your argument is baseless,

I can only see you want everything to be done by your standards but don't want to put any efforts to check they are met beforehand. Claiming it affects efficiency while using an inefficient method to justify it. 

Night on Cetus is short. If you want to goof arround you have teralyst bounty. By going into tridolon bounty unprepared you waste time of 3 people. If you are there and dunno what's going on just follow instructions. Don't die, focus on charging lures and pumpin zenurik bubbles, this way you can help if your gun is useless. Just don't be a burden, watch and learn. Or Wiki stuff...

I work 12h a day and its just not fun to loose only oportunity in a day to get tridolon (can't afford to wait 90 minutes...) just because someone goes unprepared.

Everyone has to learn, I get it. You have countless vids about wf mechanics, even very detailed wiki.

Edit: I'm not saying you can only play meta (trin, volt, chroma)... but its meta for good reason (just the fastest). Just pick whatever helps in any way (dmg buff, lures/player protection) and don't do stupid stuff. That's really all we ask, you don't have to have rivens, just crit radiation weapon, not dying constantly and helping at least a bit. Waiting for lures before final blow, right?

Harrow, Rhino, Gara, Octavia, Oberon (with 1 augument especially) are super strong picks aswell.

Edited by Spyro_Haze

On 2019-07-26 at 2:43 AM, Usei_Prime said:

Hello,

Look I play Warframe to let off steam after a hard day at work.  I play a game. So why do people treat the higher Eidolon quest hunt as something akin to playing a 100,000 dollar contest?

I have played a couple of the higher quests before, but this one was bad.  First off in the other games I've played, the Eidolon shard that comes from the first battle are on the plains, not in the lake.  Second, I am an older adult so my finger work on a keyboard sometimes fails me.  I treat it as part of the fun.  It is not fun to be reported for "not helping", especially when the Teralyst are targeting me with everything they've got. 

The entire point is to play the game and have fun.  That's it.  Not turning it into something like a competition or worse, work.  I am just...just trying to get this off my chest, because I usually can't say what I would like to say to some of the customers at my job, and I said I use Warframe to calm down and have fun.  Why is that so hard to understand?

Thanks

It’s fun to do Eidolon hunt if the squad is very good and all teammates are at least semi experienced, with right gears/loadouts, and know what they are and should be doing during the hunt. If one or more players aren’t experienced and don’t know what they should do, the hunting process can be very difficult. Usually players blame the one who is least experienced or not doing his or her jobs well. 

Eidolon hunting can be very stressful due to the nature of the process and difficulty. 

i've seen "toxicity" get thrown around to stigmatize certain players-playstyle. for instance, i was recruiting certain frames and got a whisper from an individual who wanted to play that role, but once i explained a strategy, he went on leaving without a word and i approached him with a whisper, asking why he left, he called me toxic for playing this way. that's a bit ironic, honestly. XD
so he had a bad experience with some strategic players, but that doesn't warrant him for calling every player with a plan as toxic. but i shrug, keep it civil and bid this player farewell.

On 2019-07-26 at 2:43 AM, Usei_Prime said:

Hello,

Thanks

Because, OP, in order to accomplish 3+ tridolon captures in a single night; which is about 45 minutes at best, all members of the team have to know their role and to be tryhard mode.

Anything less is failure, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 hour ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

Because, OP, in order to accomplish 3+ tridolon captures in a single night; which is about 45 minutes at best, all members of the team have to know their role and to be tryhard mode.

Anything less is failure, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

OP never said multiple tridolons in a night and who the hell expects to do 3+ in a pug. 2 is high expectations for a pug. For 3+ you should be in chat with all the other people bragging about their 300+ captures needed groups.

This sounds like someone who clicked the quest from Konzu and is ending up with try hards. Yeah if you're in a 3x3+, you need to carry your weight. In a pug 1x3, gtfo. That behavior isn't needed.

• Like 1

He is clearly talking about recruitment chat pugs though, not random matchmaking via Konzu bounty.

I can't recall anyone who has bragged about the number of captures they have. Capture count is just a rough indicator to filter out people who cannot reasonably be expected to do certain jobs consistently because they have not had a reasonable opportunity to learn how to do them by failing a whole bunch of times.

Screwing up is an underrated learning tool. Every screw up is an opportunity to learn something and do better next time. Don't let anyone deny you that opportunity, even if they are rude about it. In time you will be better than them and with the right attitude, it won't take very long.

Edited by Lolacrayola

8 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

How do you determine minimum standards ? Can you define it? How is any player new or otherwise supposed to know what "your" minimum standards are, unless you specifically mention it before hand? 

Roghly know what to do and when. Preferably bring a frame that can contribute the the fight and actively try to contribute to the fight (grabbing lures is one example).

>So you are pissed? Frustrated and would prefer that he had mentioned he was not aware of it before hand? Or that said player was "a new guy "?

I am not pissed. I am slightly amused and sad. I would prefer that he knew the basics and if he doesnt know the basics that he would ask questions.

>How much time did it waste for you to wait for him? Would it have been more than waiting in recruit chat for the right person? Is it efficient this way? 

We lost about 10 minutes on silent waiting, discussion and hoping he finds the drop and pays, while he proceeded to not do so, instead ranting and blaming us. We pretty much had to scratch the run completely and extract. I do not know how long recruiting chat takes because I am deliberately not using it. Plus that is just one extreme example. He kept DMing me after the run with very explicit messages, I had to report him for harassment.

>You just berated a guy using that example! 

Where? He was not even criticised. All we wanted was for him to go to Terry kill place, get the shard and pay, so we can proceed (carrying him).

In any of these examples, it is not the person that is being berated eventually, but their behaviour. 

>Yeah, it's called not having experience, and newsflash, not everyone knows everything from the get go they need to learn. Yes it is a problem, but again we are back to the expectation issue. 

One does not need to have experience on Eidolon. One is required to have experience on the frame brought. I mean it is clear you will be carried, but what I do not like is the complete lack of motivation to learn and improve. These people will never adapt and get better. They just join public groups in hopes nobody cares as long as they loot and pay in time. And in fact nobody does. But looting and paying in time is minimum. Getting lures would be great too if you have bad weapons and Mote Amp. Such behaviour makes me sad. And if the add ranting and complete lack of self awareness it amuses me a bit.

>Cannot take criticism, Just like you are doing now? You cannot accept the fact that it would be easier to form a squad with conditions but refuse to do so.

I refuse to use (recruiting) chat in its current way or form. Lineage 2 has better chat, Wow has better chat, Diablo has better chat..  Plus my mechanics (manual) is far from reaching 5x3 and I may reach the asked for minimum captures in a year maybe. Also like I said I am a guy who likes to share information and can carry people to 3x3 IF they are meeting minimum standarts (so I do not actually have to solo it completely while having 3 dead weights strapped to my leg). That gives them a chance to build a better amp and keep improving their gameplay and performance.

>And should have all the necessary skills even if they have not played before. 

Skills no. I lack skills myself. Knowledge.

PS: How do you divide the quotation with the answers? 

Edited by Zakkhar

13 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

And if they don't? How do they avoid you? 

Depending on the mood (bad) I may be the one that avoids them. If i press ESC after getting the team and notice people with wierd frames and wierd unleveled weapons (Dread) i can just abort to Cetus.

Sometimes I will tell them it is a bad place to level the weapon because there is hardly anything killed. But I do that less and less often. People do not care and will not take the advice anyway.

Great way to avoid me completely is not to do Tridolon, but Terry instead and learn the fights there on ones own pace.

Edited by Zakkhar

3 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

Depending on the mood (bad) I may be the one that avoids them. If i press ESC after getting the team and notice people with wierd frames and wierd unleveled weapons (Dread) i can just abort to Cetus.

Sometimes I will tell them it is a bad place to level the weapon because there is hardly anything killed. But I do that less and less often. People do not care and will not take the advice anyway.

Great way to avoid me completely is not to do Tridolon, but Terry instead and learn the fights there on ones own pace.

And is that efficient? 

14 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

And is that efficient? 

Hard to say. It is more efficient than if I took Mag and Dread modded with magnetic for sure.

It is more efficient than me wasting time on recruiting chat. I never get any groups to invite me because I am not meeting the 200+ Harry capture standarts, also fact that I can do any meta role is complicating my message. I would probably not meet their skill standarts anyway because my eye-hand coordination is lacking. This is a reason I do not like using X77 even though it is clearly superior.

I refuse to host because that usually involves organising and managing people and that is a thing I despise completely. I mean, finding people for rad relic is easy. Frames do not matter, you pick a mission, check if everyone equipped right relic and go. Plus the awful chat interface.

I can only control efficiency of myself and only within my boundaries.

Edited by Zakkhar

30 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

Hard to say. It is more efficient than if I took Mag and Dread modded with magnetic for sure.

Probably, 

31 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

It is more efficient than me wasting time on recruiting chat.

Probably not, no friends or clan mates? 

31 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

. I never get any groups to invite me because I am not meeting the 200+ Harry capture standarts, also fact that I can do any meta role is complicating my message. I would probably not meet their skill standarts anyway because my eye-hand coordination is lacking. This is a reason I do not like using X77 even though it is clearly superior.

So everyone else has to meet your standards, you meeting theirs is optional, gotcha. You do not sound like the hard-core players you seem to be advocating for. 

33 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

.I refuse to host because that usually involves organising and managing people and that is a thing I despise completely. I mean, finding people for rad relic is easy. Frames do not matter, you pick a mission, check if everyone equipped right relic and go. Plus the awful chat interface.

Right, want the change but never be the change, absolutely. And then complain when it doesn't work for you. Makes complete sense. 

34 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

I can only control efficiency of myself and only within my boundaries.

Your expectations, are more akin to asking everyone else to be efficient by all the statements you have made so far, while lacking it yourself. 

PS: How do you divide the quotation with the answers? 

Missed these statements cause you didn't quote me.

You need to quote, and delete the non relevant section from within the box. So multiple quotes have to be taken in same post if you want to comment on things separately.