Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I use 40 frames just fine. But what does Gauss do?

(XBOX)Phantom Clip

1 hour ago, Trickster_God_Loki said:

He does his best.

Just wait until DE is done with that Japan show stuff. Gauss will probably be looked at and fine-tuned, like every other new frame. Maybe then you will use for him.

Yup. When they make him useful,  I'll definitely use him more

37 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Just a sortie is nothing those are some easy missions with some modifiers.

He might be fun but he's also flawed. He requires way too much interaction, while other frames can just do everything with about 75% less interaction. Again Zeph is a frame that can go fast without handicapping herself. If you say he's fine you are just straight up lying. And that's it.

Mmhmm. Idk why people keep saying he has 100% damage reduction for 20 secs. That means they are not fighting anyone because any damage blocked will drain battery which will immediately lower the damage reduction. He won't charge battery during Redline just by running, just slow the drain a little bit. You have to spam abilities. It's like they barely read the description and never played Gauss. He's spending so much time on up keep of his abilities , everyone already dead

Wisp gets a buff to movement, melee speed and fire rate, health and health regeneration , plus aoe crowd control. Long duration, no spamming. All while using one ability. Not to mention she can share all those buffs which can last over a min, no deterioration in strength 

Edited by (XB1)Phantom Clip

39 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

You said that bounties would be difficult. Now you are saying sorties are easy. Not gonna lie, both are easy as hek. But you should really make up your mind 

Sortie is definitely easier than bounties when using Gauss.

You can finish a sortie without using any of Gauss's abilities. Small areas, plenty of cover , places to retreat/regroup and you can see most enemies. 

Doing bounties are easy but the gunships, snipers, hidden units , machine turrets make it so you can't just speed finish. Gauss is just victim. He needs high power weaponry.

do like I did with Gauss<< use  an average melee weapon alone as his weapon and run a 90 mins to 2hrs survival and see how well his dr stands up<> pls no infested enemies, or whips.

report when done and post your screenie of mission completed with all the stats.

Edited by ranks21

4 hours ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

I use 40 frames just fine

You use all the previous 40 frames? That's impressive. I have all of them and make them all work for up-to-Sortie levels of content, but there are so many that I can only say I use about half of them, tops. (For clarity here, I haven't used Rhino, Inaros, Limbo and others for many weeks, and so I wouldn't consider myself as using them).

I'm asking in what part of the game, what mission is he useful? Where does he shine?

When you want to do stuff FAST. If your weapons can carry you, Gauss will buff them further with Redline and then use his other abilities to do 2 things:

• Yank you through the tileset at breakneck paces, and
  • Provide just enough survivability, control and debuff to reliably get you the drop on your enemies.

> Is able to face tank every Starchart map and enemys beyond lvl 200. (A treshhold for 95% of the community)
> With another Frame(not trinity lul) he is litterly an undying Initial D fan.
> Has great utility.
> Way better to build as a Tank, as Inaros. So very good for beginners.
> Forums calls him useless.

Classic ™

one-punch-man-ok-rs.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

You use all the previous 40 frames? That's impressive. I have all of them and make them all work for up-to-Sortie levels of content, but there are so many that I can only say I use about half of them, tops. (For clarity here, I haven't used Rhino, Inaros, Limbo and others for many weeks, and so I wouldn't consider myself as using them).

Yup I have every frame and every prime frame. Just about every frame has 2 or 3+ forma, exilus and potato right now. I match my frame with the one arbitration buffs and I'll normally use it for the remainder of the hour after arb.

No other frame needs to be managed like Gauss.

14 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

When you want to do stuff FAST. If your weapons can carry you, Gauss will buff them further with Redline and then use his other abilities to do 2 things:

• Yank you through the tileset at breakneck paces, and
  • Provide just enough survivability, control and debuff to reliably get you the drop on your enemies.

Invisible Loki with sprint can do this. Zephyr, Volt, Wisp, can do this. Im sure Wukong can traverse the map just as fast if not faster. Plus his clone will kill enemies while you cloud walk. 

Because mach rush need to have enemies in a like. 5m is not alot of radius, slash from ability is not alot of damage. Plus you constantly blow right past the fight.

10m at base.I dont have such problems in running past them because ANY action like: Letting go of W, ADS, rolling breaks Mach Rush. You dont NEED to hold the rush until you hit a wall. In those small corridors, I keep track of the closest object I can run into. Even blunts work. You need to think a bit on what your next action will be. He is not micromanegement (That is on Octavia), but you need to be aware of when to use his powers.

1 hour ago, Methanoid said:

best at what?  and how does that speed help in missions beyond getting to extraction quick(ish), just because he "can" go fast doesnt mean he has a useful role anywhere on any gametype, even if we try and say he is for traveling quick in open area maps, well hes not, zephyr still rules over him in that department.

vvvv

4 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

And remember the Sprint Mods I told above? If you are over 2 Spint Speed, you wont need to use powers to charge the Battery, only move around.

Because "works best" =/= "He is the best at".

3 minutes ago, -VS-Zany said:

> Is able to face tank every Starchart map and enemys beyond lvl 200. (A treshhold for 95% of the community)
> With another Frame(not trinity lul) he is litterly an undying Initial D fan.
> Has great utility.
> Way better to build as a Tank, as Inaros. So very good for beginners.
> Forums calls him useless.

Classic ™

one-punch-man-ok-rs.jpg

You talking about Rhino? I agree very tanky

• Like 3

Gerade eben schrieb (XB1)Phantom Clip:

You talking about Rhino? I agree very tanky

Rhino is actually not as tanky when you compare him to other frames. But yes Rhino is REALLY tanky. But Gauss is still easier to mod for a new player. Also Rhino can not be immortal. Gauss can... technically.

Gauss runs and guns and applies Hunter Munitions and/or Status probably faster than any other weapon mod setup or frame in the game. Any weapon that applies Hunter Munitions and/or Status fast will only do so faster with Gauss.

I wonder how obscene Grakata with Wild Frenzy is under Redline? It's probably additive, so maybe not that big of a deal...

However, you are punished for shooting or aiming your weapon. You slow down when aiming/shooting and thereby reduce your battery charge rate significantly (normal sprinting/walking charges the battery).

4 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

10m at base.I dont have such problems in running past them

The run though effect radius is not 10m at base. I think you mean the shockwave from impact. When you activate mach rush the intial dash before you hold it blows to far past enemies. You have to back up first. (Micromanage)

6 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

In those small corridors, I keep track of the closest object I can run into. 

10 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

You need to think a bit on what your next action will be.

(Micromanage)x2

42 minutes ago, ranks21 said:

do like I did with Gauss<< use  an average melee weapon alone as his weapon and run a 90 mins to 2hrs survival and see how well his dr stands up<> pls no infested enemies, or whips.

report when done and post your screenie of mission completed with all the stats.

Exactly.  In Warframe,  most frames can run survival for 90 to 2hrs with melee. It's the most powerful thing to use. There are plenty of "unkillable" frames.

Im talking about ability kit. Gauss abilities are high maintenance for low power. Even his damage reduction has too many downfalls.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

The run though effect radius is not 10m at base. I think you mean the shockwave from impact. When you activate mach rush the intial dash before you hold it blows to far past enemies. You have to back up first. (Micromanage)

(Micromanage)x2

Ok, so for you, turning around to shoot and paying attention is micromanagement.

Alright.

6 minutes ago, nslay said:

Gauss runs and guns and applies Hunter Munitions and/or Status probably faster than any other weapon mod setup or frame in the game. Any weapon that applies Hunter Munitions and/or Status fast will only do so faster with Gauss.

I wonder how obscene Grakata with Wild Frenzy is under Redline? It's probably additive, so maybe not that big of a deal...

However, you are punished for shooting or aiming your weapon. You slow down when aiming/shooting and thereby reduce your battery charge rate significantly (normal sprinting/walking charges the battery).

This is the point about lack ability  synergy and micro management. Doesnt harrow buff fire rate and crit chance? Wisp can buff fire rate as well.

With Gauss as soon as you try to put his buffs to use, your battery is dying from the drain of reduced speed from aiming and you lose damage reduction. Now you using energy and wasting redline buff time to spam abilities to charge battery for your DR. Thermal sunder is so small,  you have to be in melee range. Otherwise you wasting it to try and charge battery. 

9 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Ok, so for you, turning around to shoot and paying attention is micromanagement.

Alright.

Because slowing down (battery drain during redline) to turn and shoot enemies while searching for objects to mach smash into that are close enough to enemies to actually hit them is definitely a lot to do for a few kills at a time. This becomes exhaustive after 10mins.

And that's only 1 of his abilities

15 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

This is the point about lack ability  synergy and micro management. Doesnt harrow buff fire rate and crit chance? Wisp can buff fire rate as well.

With Gauss as soon as you try to put his buffs to use, your battery is dying from the drain of reduced speed from aiming and you lose damage reduction. Now you using energy and wasting redline buff time to spam abilities to charge battery for your DR. Thermal sunder is so small,  you have to be in melee range. Otherwise you wasting it to try and charge battery. 

You can build a Duration Gauss that doesn't have a melee range Thermal Sunder.... Why in my most recent build (in feedback thread), I have got 280% duration with 110% range...  that's more than melee range. It's still very situational CC though.

Edited by nslay
Add "my"

4 minutes ago, nslay said:

You can build a Duration Gauss that doesn't have a melee range Thermal Sunder.... Why in my most recent build (in feedback thread), I have got 280% duration with 110% range...  that's more than melee range. It's still very situational CC though.

But you giving up ability strength or survivability like ehp for that much duration?  You firing faster with some DR . That's not that different than Harrow. I mean if it works for you fine.  

Just now, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

But you giving up ability strength or survivability like ehp for that much duration?  You firing faster with some DR . That's not that different than Harrow. I mean if it works for you fine.  

No. You don't really give up anything assuming that you can keep your battery up. That should be much easier with the speed mods and Amalgam Serration.

Here it is:

http://warframe-builder.com/s/147b9864fb237472

Heck, there's a point in Redline (like 20-30% over red line?) where I can merely sprint to charge the battery 100%... no casting abilities. Just the lame slow down from aiming/shooting screws it up as you said.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Invisible Loki with sprint can do this. Zephyr, Volt, Wisp, can do this. Im sure Wukong can traverse the map just as fast if not faster. Plus his clone will kill enemies while you cloud walk.

If you're looking for a specific reason to use Gauss over any other frame in order to justify his use, I don't really see one. Thing is, if such a thing were needed to justify a frame's use, we'd either have only 10 frames, or missions would have a ridiculous amount of obstacles contrived solely to justify certain Warframes. Why use any of the several tanky frames when you can just use one? Why use Loki if Ivara exists? The answer is in variety. Succeeding in this game is not hard, and so the question "How do you want to succeed?" has many correct answers. Those answers don't have to equate to a frame being the best at a thing they do, because you don't need the best Stealth frame to make Stealth missions a cakewalk, etc. This is not a competitive game, and because of this, non-competitive Warframes are still perfectly viable.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

No other frame needs to be managed like Gauss.

For me at least, that's a positive aspect to the guy. I really like that the frame is designed to work optimally when the player is thinking and acting as fast as they can. In a gameplay sense, he's like Harrow in that they both work really well when I'm in a headspace matching their theme. Stock Thurible, grab a good headshot, throw Condemn, more HSs, slap on Penance and we're rolling, ever focused, locking down threats as they approach, methodically and tactically eliminating targets John Wick style. Whoosh I'm here, okay lock these guys, hek there's a Tech Plate up, dash, finish and zip back, unplate, Armorstrip, burst down zip away. Gauss must be constantly doing things, and I'm into that because it requires the speed frame to be played speedy. I can understand people not liking that, in the same way that not everyone likes Harrow. I like it.

On the other side of the coin, I personally loathe Warframe's low-effort meta. I like Mesa's design and theme, the gunslinger vibe is cool, but I can't stand playing her for more than 5 minutes. One button press for a straight damage buff and light CC. One button press for effortless tanking. One button press for high-damaging auto-aiming guns that never miss and roast every target in a second. Her BB is at least cool in that its risk/reward setup encourages accuracy, but oh wait you can just pop it during Peacemaker and its risk is void. Her most effective gameplay is just pressing a few buttons, holding LMB and swinging your mouse around. I can understand why others like it, but to me it's just dreadful. Being rewarded for inactive gameplay makes a frame boring to me, while those high-action frames I find exciting.

• Like 1

Just leaving my two cents. 

Gauss is more of a mobile wepown platform than anything else, some people will like that playstile for the freedom it gives, outers will loathe it for the same reason.

People tend to compare it to Volt, but I feel he's more like Mirage, a wepown enhancement unit, but instead of giving raw firepower and fire redirection (Mirage), he increases the amount of procs you can trow, enough CC, absurd mobility (best defence is not getting hit) and a substancial buff to any pew-pew or blade you happen to have on hand. 

On a side note, to me, his "shield" is only really useful for the sinergy with his Mach-rush (causing bleed procs), if you are moving you won't get hit anyway. 

Yes, you can make him face-tanky-Ish... In the same way you can turn a rhino into a nuker. Possible, but not that great if you are going to compare him to outer frames. 

Cheers, n' keep dashing :3

20 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

If you're looking for a specific reason to use Gauss over any other frame in order to justify his use, I don't really see one. Thing is, if such a thing were needed to justify a frame's use, we'd either have only 10 frames, or missions would have a ridiculous amount of obstacles

What? Ummm every other frame has a use outside of star chart. Invisibility is one skill. Plus Ivara can share it but moves slow, team friendly. Loki cannot but moves fast, solo friendly. . The issue with Gauss is where can you manage to use his kit in a unique way. You really can't in a team or solo.

30 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

I really like that the frame is designed to work optimally when the player is thinking and acting as fast as they can.   Gauss must be constantly doing things, and I'm into that because it requires the speed frame to be played speedy.

That's the point.  Too much management WITHOUT matching  reward. A speed frame that has to move fast to keep up abilities but slow down to deal damage. How is this a thing? He doesn't even have a lasting movement boost effect. Just an ability that eats energy per use. You need to add speed mods to him. . .That's the craziest part. His redline boosts everything but his actually movement speed. 

46 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

On the other side of the coin, I personally loathe Warframe's low-effort meta. I like Mesa's design and theme, the gunslinger vibe is cool, but I can't stand playing her for more than 5 minutes. One button press for a straight damage buff and light CC. One button press for effortless tanking. One button press for high-damaging auto-aiming guns that never miss and roast every target in a second. Her BB is at least cool in that its risk/reward setup encourages accuracy, but oh wait you can just pop it during Peacemaker and its risk is void. Her most effective gameplay is just pressing a few buttons, holding LMB and swinging your mouse around. I can understand why others like it, but to me it's just dreadful. Being rewarded for inactive gameplay makes a frame boring to me, while those high-action frames I find exciting.

Those are all body shots plus she can't target most bosses or most vip. Same time, that's the way frames are played a few button presses. Saryn, Nidus, Rhino, Limbo, Baruuk, Wukong, Frost, Inaros, Loki, Octavia, Chroma, Equinox, khora , Hildryn, nova, revenant, Nyx etc you get the point.  So you cant stand every frame until Gauss? Why play the game? 

For me, every single frame is usable and enjoyable. Just not Gauss. He needs many adjustments.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

That's the point.  Too much management WITHOUT matching  reward. A speed frame that has to move fast to keep up abilities but slow down to deal damage. How is this a thing? He doesn't even have a lasting movement boost effect. Just an ability that eats energy per use. You need to add speed mods to him. . .That's the craziest part. His redline boosts everything but his actually movement speed. 

Agreed. I hope DE adds to Gauss' passive:

• Immunity to slowdown from aiming/shooting.
  • Melee attacks now charge the battery x% (because you have to stop to attack for most melee weapons... thereby not charge the battery!).