Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I use 40 frames just fine. But what does Gauss do?

(XBOX)Phantom Clip

Not really seeing a use for him beyond star chart and low level enemies. I think Wisp is a better Gauss. Her motes are 1 skill and seem to mimic alot of his ability kit.

His 1st hard to use.  Run into enemies does nothing.  And running into wall is dumb.  As if enemies just stand by the water cooler. .

Damage reduction from his 2nd is based on battery level. But any 1 hit will drain the battery. Seriously? Then it's not just a little but like 5% for each hit. With Redline active you get melee damage boost. But you can't stay in melee range long enough to do much without draining the battery like crazy. 

I tried 100% status weapons with cold to proc his 3rd's freeze and blast. Then I tried the boost from Redline. It's ok but 15m not enough range. If I add more range, then it's not enough damage. 

His 4th doesn't deal much damage. The boost effects help some. Not much. 

I'm asking in what part of the game, what mission is he useful? Where does he shine? Free roam only? Infested only?

I like him on starchart missions. I'm just not seeing how I'm really meant to utilize his abilities. 

• Like 1

Everything I read here was "Damage, DMR, Damage, Damage".

It would seem unusual, but Sprint Mods are what you want. Gauss works best if he has over 2 Sprint Speed.

Never stop Moving. Kinectic Barrier is not there for you to stand still and take hits. Its a SAFETY NET for when you are moving around. And you can cause Slash procs if you Mach Rush into on objects to do an AoE Slash but... you think thats stupid so, I will skip it since you dont like weaponized faceplant into walls. Its a mobility power, like Speed.

Redline, I found, do NOT use it in conjunction with Kinectic Barrier, the drain is too severe if you dont keep spamming Mach Rush or the cold Thermal Sunder. Only activate Kinectic Barrier when Redline reaches 100% and stops Battery drain. And remember the Sprint Mods I told above? If you are over 2 Spint Speed, you wont need to use powers to charge the Battery, only move around.

Do NOT use Redline for the damage the sparks that fly out. Those are BONUSES. Dont worry about the % in Redline Much, you will recover battery anyways as you run.

Thermal Sunder, I suggest you use Fire then Cold so you lose then recover Battery, the description says it will do 1500 damage, which turns into 3000 when they combine to Blast. And make it strip Armor if Redline is active.

Edited by Kaotyke

Use him as a tank. He can reach 100% damage reduction, works well with Adaptation, and can boost any weapon with his 4.

His 1 is better used in short bursts, rather than long runs. It is also important to stay on the move to keep battery up.

Thermal Sunder is the only ability I don't really like, it could have more range. But it strips armor and can be used for instant freeze, so there's that.

What you want isn't an explanation where to use Gauss.
You obviously want an explanation on his mechanics, on how his abilities work.

You are saying that his 2 drains battery. That's true. But you missed the synergy with his 4. With 100% Redline, your 2 won't drain battery anymore. You will achieve 100% damage reduction.

You can go to the Wiki, or to Youtube to get full explanations on everything about Gauss. Then you can think about him again.
As long as you lack knowledge about his mechanics, there is no reason to tell you which missions you could run with him.

And I think that your premise isn't good. You think that all 40 other frames are fine, but Gauss is bad?
There are a lot of frames that do the job of other frames way better. It not about usefulness alone anymore. It's about enjoying gameplay.

• Like 1

Runs. That's it.

Until Kinetic plating stays the way it is he won't be any useful on higher levels. Especially since there's a point when you can only sprint to keep up that stupid ass battery to keep up the DR which only protects against certain damage types.

It's kind of a similar problem to what Hildryn has when enemy damage just too much so you get stuck in a loop of spamming.

At least he's fun. And has a really sick design. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

You are saying that his 2 drains battery. That's true. But you missed the synergy with his 4. With 100% Redline, your 2 won't drain battery anymore. You will achieve 100% damage reduction.

Yeah that's true. Too bad you have to spam abilities and eat up your energy and if you are lucky the 100% dr lasts for half the abilitie's duration. And still won't defend you from anything else than the few specific dmg types.

Gauss is a useless frame, even Vauban is better than him heck Trinity looks like a very superior frame to that pos. there is nothing in this frame's kit that is worth building for. the only thing that this frame can be used for is to do mining in the open maps, by running from one cave to another and even Volt is a better choice. no one wants to be running around at all times every single map they choose to play, period.

can I throw out the garbage now? I know there will be nay sayers but heck there is nothing desireable enough to use this frame in a serous playing squad.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MakubexKido said:

obviously youre new
cause youre missing out the part that he is endgame viable

cause fashionframe is ENDGAME BABY !!!

on serious note: he just runs fast, hes sh!t in anything else

Exactly. Get my armor equipment up. 

18 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

It would seem unusual, but Sprint Mods are what you want. Gauss works best if he has over 2 Sprint Speed.

Never stop Moving. Kinectic Barrier is not there for you to stand still and take hits. Its a SAFETY NET for when you are moving around. And you can cause Slash procs if you Mach Rush into on objects to do an AoE Slash but... you think thats stupid so, I will skip it since you dont like weaponized faceplant into walls. Its a mobility power, like Speed.

Redline, I found, do NOT use it in conjunction with Kinectic Barrier, the drain is too severe if you dont keep spamming Mach Rush or the cold Thermal Sunder. Only activate Kinectic Barrier when Redline reaches 100% and stops Battery drain. And remember the Sprint Mods I told above? If you are over 2 Spint Speed, you wont need to use powers to charge the Battery, only move around.

Do NOT use Redline for the damage the sparks that fly out. Those are BONUSES. Dont worry about the % in Redline Much, you will recover battery anyways as you run.

Thermal Sunder, I suggest you use Fire then Cold so you lose then recover Battery, the description says it will do 1500 damage, which turns into 3000 when they combine to Blast. And make it strip Armor if Redline is active.

Because mach rush need to have enemies in a like. 5m is not alot of radius, slash from ability is not alot of damage. Plus you constantly blow right past the fight.

With Redline active, trying to set Thermal Sunder up for the combo is hard due to the lack of radius range AND the ability radius contracts pretty fast

23 minutes ago, Genitive said:

Use him as a tank. He can reach 100% damage reduction, works well with Adaptation, and can boost any weapon with his 4.

His 1 is better used in short bursts, rather than long runs. It is also important to stay on the move to keep battery up.

Thermal Sunder is the only ability I don't really like, it could have more range. But it strips armor and can be used for instant freeze, so there's that.

He's not tanking anything. Even with Redline the battery drains too fast to do more than a few quick strikes. 100% reduction is typo because he's always taking damage and every hit drains battery which lower damage reduction even while above the redline using Redline

27 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

What you want isn't an explanation where to use Gauss.
You obviously want an explanation on his mechanics, on how his abilities work.

This makes it obvious you haven't used Gauss... Battery drain only stops if you are in a closet opening lockers. If you are actively using his kit,  you are actively draining battery. 

You can spam cold thermal sunder without drain . So just use half of 1 ability for all of Warframe content? No sarcasm because at max range,  you can definitely freeze enemies like frost. But then there's frost. .

On top of battery drain ,  you still need a good amount energy. You need to micro manage 2 resources.

16 minutes ago, kyori said:

Welcome to the age of micro-management frame.

EXACTLY THIS.

Yeah he'll be in the back burner till a rework comes out

10 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Runs. That's it.

Until Kinetic plating stays the way it is he won't be any useful on higher levels. Especially since there's a point when you can only sprint to keep up that stupid ass battery to keep up the DR which only protects against certain damage types.

It's kind of a similar problem to what Hildryn has when enemy damage just too much so you get stuck in a loop of spamming.

At least he's fun. And has a really sick design. 

Yeah,  he looks great but too much run only. Not enough fight. 

8 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Yeah that's true. Too bad you have to spam abilities and eat up your energy and if you are lucky the 100% dr lasts for half the abilitie's duration. And still won't defend you from anything else than the few specific dmg types.

That's why I still took damage.  It won't even fully protect you. Terrible design.

6 minutes ago, ranks21 said:

Gauss is a useless frame, even Vauban is better than him heck Trinity looks like a very superior frame to that pos. there is nothing in this frame's kit that is worth building for. the only thing that this frame can be used for is to do mining in the open maps, by running from one cave to another and even Volt is a better choice. no one wants to be running around at all times every single map they choose to play, period.

can I throw out the garbage now? I know there will be nay sayers but heck there is nothing desireable enough to use this frame in a serous playing squad.

That's how I'm feeling.  I can use 40 frames even limbo at high levels in a squad or solo. Nothing Gauss does is helpful.  I'm meant to just run from everybody? I can keep moving but then the battery and enegy are so demanding. Primed flow , duration , efficiency and he still hungry

10 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

runs fast and smashes into terrain for fun & grofit

Oohhhh. This definitely sounds very accurate.

At least let him keep moving like cloud walker and let me reactivate skill for the radial smash effect

54 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

It's like you're not reading: He charges fine from movement alone if you build and play him right.

Also, IPS is the vast majority of incoming damage. Slap on an Arcane Resistance and you're golden if you really worry that much.

54 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

I have about 20 seconds of 100% DR.
During these 20 seconds I get 5% of the incoming damage back as energy. So energy is not a problem if you would stop running low level missions...
And a "few specific dmg types"? Did you even take a look at Gauss before posting? You get DR against IPS, Heat, Cold and Blast. There are only a small amount of enemies dealing other damage types. So he gets DR against almost everthing. And he can't get knocked down...
And you can use Adaptation.

I mean, if people dislike Gauss, then that's fine. But why saying he is bad, just because you dislike him?

• Like 1

I bought him with a coupon.  He looks really cool, that's about it for me.  I couldn't help but think, what is the point of this frame while playing.  I don't care what kinda damage reduction he can reach.  It's not worth the effort of playing with that battery and having to constantly be flipping around like Daffy Duck.  Glad he's outta the way so we can get the fat frame.

50 minutes ago, FlyingDice said:

It's like you're not reading: He charges fine from movement alone if you build and play him right.

Also, IPS is the vast majority of incoming damage. Slap on an Arcane Resistance and you're golden if you really worry that much.

From movement alone Redline doesn't charge everywhere especially with KP activated. Resistance Arcanes can be fitted onto him since we have magnetic, viral, toxic that enemies can use. And the last time i checked slash procs deal the same dmg and DR does not apply to them.

48 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

I have about 20 seconds of 100% DR.
During these 20 seconds I get 5% of the incoming damage back as energy. So energy is not a problem if you would stop running low level missions...
And a "few specific dmg types"? Did you even take a look at Gauss before posting? You get DR against IPS, Heat, Cold and Blast. There are only a small amount of enemies dealing other damage types. So he gets DR against almost everthing. And he can't get knocked down...
And you can use Adaptation.

I mean, if people dislike Gauss, then that's fine. But why saying he is bad, just because you dislike him?

20sec after spamming the ever living crap out of the abilities. And stopping will stop charging and enemy dmg will also drain the battery.

Even if you could get 100% DR fairly easily, good old Zeph-zeph just needs one ability to avoid damage. And that ability can last twice as much. And she can do a whole lot more than Gauss on the top of that.

Take Gauss to some actual missions instead of playing Earth extermination. On Cetus for example he will have a really hard time thanks to gun ships and Shield lancers who always proc slash on you and have pin point accuracy.

Corpus deal magnetic and Amalgam "long necks" deal viral while the others probably do even other dmg types. And Fortuna is certain death even if you run around and do nothing else. Since those enemies deal only dmg that KP can't reduce.

Just now, JackHargreav said:

Take Gauss to some actual missions instead of playing Earth extermination. On Cetus for example he will have a really hard time thanks to gun ships and Shield lancers who always proc slash on you and have pin point accuracy.

I did run sorties with him just fine. Thanks for worrying. Please stop spouting stuff you have no idea about. ^^

2 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Corpus deal magnetic and Amalgam "long necks" deal viral while the others probably do even other dmg types. And Fortuna is certain death even if you run around and do nothing else. Since those enemies deal only dmg that KP can't reduce.

Had no issues so far.

Conclusion: you are doing it wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteMarker said:

I did run sorties with him just fine. Thanks for worrying. Please stop spouting stuff you have no idea about. ^^

Had no issues so far.

Conclusion: you are doing it wrong.

Just a sortie is nothing those are some easy missions with some modifiers.

He might be fun but he's also flawed. He requires way too much interaction, while other frames can just do everything with about 75% less interaction. Again Zeph is a frame that can go fast without handicapping herself. If you say he's fine you are just straight up lying. And that's it.

3 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

best at what?  and how does that speed help in missions beyond getting to extraction quick(ish), just because he "can" go fast doesnt mean he has a useful role anywhere on any gametype, even if we try and say he is for traveling quick in open area maps, well hes not, zephyr still rules over him in that department.