Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I use 40 frames just fine. But what does Gauss do?

(XBOX)Phantom Clip

On 2019-10-07 at 2:24 AM, RX-3DR said:

Because he was relatively fine before the tweaks if you weren't obsessing over having to hit 100% all the time with Redline.

Every frame is fine if you don't intend on using abilities..

You're using the usual fallacy of a false majority. There are plenty of people who will come to the forum to ask for things they want but people who are content are less likely to voice out that they are having no problems.

It a majority when most people want the same thing.  Not a fallacy when they base changes on player feedback. If MAJORITY of people wanted him to stay the same, it's likely no changes would have been made. 

You making false claims about people who are content not speaking out. You speaking out about being content just like others have. Not every player will join forum. You can read through the forum about Gauss more people wanted changes than those who don't. Impossible to take opinion from those who don't give it. If they are content the way he is, it's likely they will be content with changes because they don't care enough to go through the effort to give an opinion. 

Majority wins. You can say what you want but changes have already been made AGAINST your opinion. Obviously DE knows exactly what they are doing.

I never said the changes were a good thing. I think the changes are a mistake

DE simply jumped the gun too fast and too hard on this. 

Im glad you are in the very small minority on this subject. Yeeessssss

Another false claim... DE has real time data. They see players rank up Gauss then never use him. They read the immediate dislike of his ability management on the forums. They acted accordingly. Very nice job.

16 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Every frame is fine if you don't intend on using abilities..

It a majority when most people want the same thing.  Not a fallacy when they base changes on player feedback. If MAJORITY of people wanted him to stay the same, it's likely no changes would have been made. 

You making false claims about people who are content not speaking out. You speaking out about being content just like others have. Not every player will join forum. You can read through the forum about Gauss more people wanted changes than those who don't. Impossible to take opinion from those who don't give it. If they are content the way he is, it's likely they will be content with changes because they don't care enough to go through the effort to give an opinion. 

Majority wins. You can say what you want but changes have already been made AGAINST your opinion. Obviously DE knows exactly what they are doing.

Im glad you are in the very small minority on this subject. Yeeessssss

Another false claim... DE has real time data. They see players rank up Gauss then never use him. They read the immediate dislike of his ability management on the forums. They acted accordingly. Very nice job.

I don't think you're reading words correctly and you're making a lot of nonsense up.

I never mentioned anything about not using abilities, you're just making up points. Gauss was fine because was in a pretty good spot of requiring effort to maximize, but still strong without needing to maximize. Reaching 100% was a good bonus, not a requirement and not a free hand out. Also, I didn't say all people. I specifically said less likely, because quite obviously, you wouldn't be slipping a note saying "I think the current system is fine" into the Suggestion Box.

It is a fallacy. If I asked people in my clan about their opinions on something and 4 out of 5 of them agree with me, it does not mean that the majority of the community agree. Especially if the group is generally biased in a certain direction. If 500 people used Gauss and it happens that there is actually a 50-50 split on people who think it's good or bad. Out of that 250, probably something like 50 people will post on the forum that he is bad meanwhile, out of the 250 people who think he's good, there's probably only 10 of them who frequent the forum enough to voice their opinion on the matter. It is as much of a majority as if I were to say, out of me and you, 50% of the community disagrees and therefore, no changes should be done.

Majority wins is not entirely accurate. There is a bit of a squeaky wheel getting the grease situation with feedback. The other issue would be that a majority does not equate to a good decision, especially if the solution was put in place by people outside of the discussion.

Once again, I restate my point, that the problem is that they reacted too much too quickly on Gauss. I don't care whether you like it or not, my perspective has always been from the objective side of design and not about how the changes impacted me. A good chunk of the community will only follow the meta choices so usage statistics are really slow on the uptake. This, compounded with how Gauss operates, is simply jumping in with large changes to address an uncertain problem. At this stage, I wouldn't be surprised when a few months down the line, someone pushes Gauss into a niche meta and a ton of people hop on the bandwagon. Eventually, DE notices the trend and nerfs it, placing us in full circle to this change.

P.S. As much as I like DE, we all know DE doesn't actually know what they're doing most of the time. Saryn is a perfect example, they tried to scale her back by throwing in a number of tweaks but the results were mostly inconsequential to their goal and in fact, had a slight backfire.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RX-3DR said:

you're making a lot of nonsense up.

I never mentioned anything about not using abilities, you're just making up points. Gauss was fine

Honestly, if you're spamming abilities, you need to reconsider what you're doing.

Boy oh boy. You playing on the fact after everything you post, you old post are not shown. If Gauss was fine , they wouldn't have change him.

Simple.

Reaching 100% was a good bonus, not a requirement

Kinetic plating requires redline to be at 100% buff. Otherwise KP will drain immediately when under fire.

It is a fallacy. If I asked people in my clan about their opinions on something and 4 out of 5 of them agree with me, it does not mean ... the majority 

You obviously don't know what majority means. I guess the only way to stop your ignorance is to not respond.

Majority wins is not entirely accurate.

majority does not equate to a good decision

Says the very small minority.

Once again, I restate my point, that the problem is that they reacted too much too quickly on Gauss. I don't care whether you like it or not, my perspective has always been from the objective side of design and not about how the changes impacted me. 

You definitely only care about how you were impacted. Not the majority. Read your previous statment. 

A good chunk of the community will only follow the meta choices so usage statistics are really slow on the uptake. 

As much as I like DE, we all know DE doesn't actually know what they're doing most of the time. 

A good chunk of the community? Where are these numbers? Oh yeah,  your assumptions are not statical data listed anywhere.

We all know... things people say when they have zero evidence to support thier claims. 

I see you're full of false claims.

Again you can read the comments in this post or any post about Gauss before his rework. Majority of comments supporting less ability management. Numbers you can see, not assumptions.  Even in this very post, battery gain on melee was mentioned and supported. Now it's implemented. 

Crazy right? Post stating dislike of Gauss's ability management have died off. Yep,  DE has done a great job in bringing quality entertainment to the majority of players. 

P.S. nothing is stopping you from using him as you have.  He's just better now. 

The idea that I have to break down every little point to very minute details for you to understand is quite disheartening.

13 hours ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Boy oh boy. You playing on the fact after everything you post, you old post are not shown. If Gauss was fine , they wouldn't have change him.

What is the difference between 0 and 100? You mentioned you were spamming abilities to constantly maintain Redline at 100%. I said you don't have to spam them because you realistically don't need Redline and Kinetic Plating to be at full effect at all times and that you should change your strategy away from constantly using Redline and getting so upset over it. From my perspective, yes, he is fine, Gauss could easily keep up in Arbitrations unlike plenty of other frames that need significantly more effort to keep up.

Kinetic plating requires redline to be at 100% buff. Otherwise KP will drain immediately when under fire.

Kinetic Plating benefits from Redline being at 100% but it by no means require Redline anymore than any other ability needing 200% power strength. Kinetic Plating is already one of the strongest damage reduction abilities right off the bat even before Redline. Yes, it drains your battery but by design, Kinetic Plating is meant to be your 2nd line of defense after your mobility, you are supposed to keep moving so that you don't take as much hits (much like how Revanant's Mesmer Skin is supposed to be supplemented by the thralls drawing fire as opposed to being another Iron Skin), and when you do get hit, the brunt of the damage is taken by the battery, which you will recover as you move. If it required Redline, the mechanics wouldn't be set such that you actually receive 80% of the skill's effect without Redline.

You obviously don't know what majority means. I guess the only way to stop your ignorance is to not respond.

I'm talking majority of players which is not a very accountable number because only a very specific vertical slice are active in the forum. This is the same nonsense people use to justify "difficult content" where they will start with, "Majority of veterans agree..." but often times, it mostly means they've talked to some 20 people in their clan who agrees and another 10 people on the forum. There's simply no way to realistically use the term "majority of players" because the forum is simply a very thin vertical slice. This is why "majority" never really works as a good metric on feedback unless you use information more true to the source and I'd much prefer it if they make their decisions more measured.

Says the very small minority.

Does not discount the fact that a bad decision is a bad decision, even if made by a large group. 7 people out of 10 can ask for dedicated servers in another thread, but it doesn't mean anything and the decision should be done with more consideration beyond, "7 out of 10 said so so we are now blowing our budget for a potentially lifesucking venture".

You definitely only care about how you were impacted. Not the majority. Read your previous statment. 

Explain to me your interpretation of how I am negatively impacted. I use the example of how I'm not even paying attention to the battery to highlight a very specific point, that the system has been reduced to a mostly passive system. It's simply bad design to implement an additional resource only to diminish the value of it to a point where it can be neglected. Once you hit that stage, it loses the reason for being there. It's specifically why I questioned you on why Redline needs to have an overcharge charge time. It's what happened with Energy, which really only placed them in the corner with ability immunity as the only way out.

A good chunk of the community? Where are these numbers? Oh yeah,  your assumptions are not statical data listed anywhere.

Out of the squad of 3 other players, I usually see at least 2 players running something relatively meta. It's a bit more realistic to the game than forum posts since it accounts for every player except people who don't use public matchmaking at all. A good chunk is also a specifically vague term, note how I didn't quantify it by saying majority because I can't quantify it. However, personal experience and a number of mentions from other players on the forum, you can estimate it to be quite notable amount of players who specifically run the most efficient choices in every mission. How about I play this game, majority of players in public matchmaking squads use only the meta frames/weapons, therefore, it is a true majority claim.

P.S. nothing is stopping you from using him as you have.  He's just better now. 

Once again, the problem is not how I use Gauss but the position he is in relation to the game and his original design. They've opened the window way too much, and the rain is coming in, that they've moved his design away from movement and towards mashing melee for damage immunity. And damage immunity, especially if easy, is a huge no-no for DE. If they have an epiphany about it, at best, they'll tweak the numbers a little. At worst, they'll cut down the abilities to compensate such as reducing or capping the damage resistance with Kinetic Plating. Is it really that difficult to think beyond just how you benefit from it?

Edited by RX-3DR
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, (NSW)Katsuro said:

players are never happy tbh DE nerf  x frame people get upset, DE buff x frame people are still upset *sigh*

well I for 1 cant wait for the new gauss to reach console .

Exactly. It's like video games are life for some people.  Changes happen or they don't. 

I'm waiting for console update as well so I can actually use Gauss and not run around all the time. 

If I had to choose one thing with Gauss that is still a bit awkward for me specifically, I'd have to pick Redline, it just feels like I spend more time charging it than benefiting from it, plus in the time that I had to spend running around like a lunatic odds are a Sayrn or Mesa has already killed everything in a 12 mile radius making my efforts moot.

Redline just doesn't feel good to use because of all the pointless running I have to do to keep it above the minimum on the gauge, and while the added reload/fire speeds are neat (love using it with my Battacor, turns that puppy into a full auto gun) it just feels like more trouble than it is worth...as well as a punishment for using Duration mods for his 2 and 3. 

21 minutes ago, Aldain said:

If I had to choose one thing with Gauss that is still a bit awkward for me specifically, I'd have to pick Redline, it just feels like I spend more time charging it than benefiting from it, plus in the time that I had to spend running around like a lunatic odds are a Sayrn or Mesa has already killed everything in a 12 mile radius making my efforts moot.

Redline just doesn't feel good to use because of all the pointless running I have to do to keep it above the minimum on the gauge, and while the added reload/fire speeds are neat (love using it with my Battacor, turns that puppy into a full auto gun) it just feels like more trouble than it is worth...as well as a punishment for using Duration mods for his 2 and 3. 

My point exactly. Nicely stated.

How many frames have a 4th skill you are better off not using? The time spent maintaining Redline is the time other frames are killing everyone.

10 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

How many frames have a 4th skill you are better off not using?

Let me think...

Chroma, maybe Garuda, current Vauban if you favor his Bastille, Baruuk if you want to not lose his DR, Atlas, maybe Nyx, some people say Zephyr.

That's what comes to my mind with my (admittedly cursory) knowledge on several of these Warframes.

Edited by Aldain

37 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Let me think...

Chroma, maybe Garuda, current Vauban if you favor his Bastille, Baruuk if you want to not lose his DR, Atlas, maybe Nyx, some people say Zephyr.

That's what comes to my mind with my (admittedly cursory) knowledge on several of these Warframes.

Lmao. People will say anything. I use EVERY frame. 

Chroma's 4th can hold down defense objective, double credits and increase movement speed. 

Garuda's 4th adds slash procs to weapons and abilities. One of the most powerful procs and it stacks.

Vauban's 4th can help build melee combo by grouping enemies together. Plus he's getting a rework...

Baruuk's 4th is very power, the waves have punch through on bodies and terrain. His 4th can ragdoll, knockback , lift,  and pull. It can reflect some projectiles and has its own DR. Plus if everyone is sleep, you don't need much DR. Direct hits with his fist can permanently disarm.

Atlas's 4th draws aggro, petrifies enemies and drops armor when golems are destroy. I haven't seen an Atlas player not keep his golems out.

Nyx's 4th gives damage reduction and a haven to recharge shields. 

Zephyr's 4th deals 200% extra crit damage,  crowd controls, can change damage type and increase in damage when shot.

However Gauss's 4th only adds minor utility that drains out fast. If you want the synergy that actually make his other abilities worth anything, you need Redline. But Redline is short lived.

That's why they made changes. So you can actually use Redline and Kinetic Plating WHILE fighting. Not just activate a skill and run like crazy to keep it active.

22 hours ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

I'm waiting for console update as well so I can actually use Gauss and not run around all the time. 

If you don't want to run around all the time, don't play as the warframe that is designed for running around all the time.

20 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

I'm not sure what this thread is anymore.

7 pages of complaining about not being able to fit a square peg into a round hole.

On 2019-10-08 at 11:47 PM, JackHargreav said:

I'm not sure what this thread is anymore.

"Was The Gauss Buff Excessive?" I think

FWIW I find Gauss really boring to use now because there's no real threat of losing your KP's protection and with a Duration build and minimal effort expended managing his battery you will periodlcally receive 20+ full seconds of complete immunity to most of the damage you'll be receiving from anything that isn't Infested, during which you actually do not need to move at all. He's good, and certainly objectively stronger than he was at release but there's no sense of danger or struggle now, which makes him feel unsatisfying to me, and if I just wanted a frame that's impossible to die as for purely practical reasons he's still not as good as Wukong/Wisp/Inaros/(insert your preferred tankframe here).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrFrog9 said:

if I just wanted a frame that's impossible to die as for purely practical reasons he's still not as good as Wukong/Wisp/Inaros/(insert your preferred tankframe here).

I find him to be a tad bit stronger in potential than Wukong and Wisp when it comes to taking hits because of the complete Knockdown/Stagger immunity with Kinetic Plating. I spent about 2 weeks or so grinding Arbitrations with Gauss and one of the things I've noticed, especially during level 100+ Infested, is that a lot of people will get absolutely destroyed if an Ancient knocks them down and sometimes, they don't even get the opportunity to get off the ground to do anything before they're dead. Even Prime Surefooted will leave you with some openings. Granted, I get one-shot by Toxic Ancients, but that's only from Infested which is to be expected since I am also running a high Shield build. Meanwhile, knockdowns are plenty among all 3 factions, placing Gauss almost into inverse old Mag territory.

Edited by RX-3DR
  • Like 2

On 2019-09-19 at 11:53 AM, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Not really seeing a use for him beyond star chart and low level enemies. I think Wisp is a better Gauss. Her motes are 1 skill and seem to mimic alot of his ability kit.

His 1st hard to use.  Run into enemies does nothing.  And running into wall is dumb.  As if enemies just stand by the water cooler. .

Damage reduction from his 2nd is based on battery level. But any 1 hit will drain the battery. Seriously? Then it's not just a little but like 5% for each hit. With Redline active you get melee damage boost. But you can't stay in melee range long enough to do much without draining the battery like crazy. 

I tried 100% status weapons with cold to proc his 3rd's freeze and blast. Then I tried the boost from Redline. It's ok but 15m not enough range. If I add more range, then it's not enough damage. 

His 4th doesn't deal much damage. The boost effects help some. Not much. 

I'm asking in what part of the game, what mission is he useful? Where does he shine? Free roam only? Infested only?

I like him on starchart missions. I'm just not seeing how I'm really meant to utilize his abilities. 

He is simply...

AMAAAZIIIIN'!!!!

16 hours ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

If you don't want to run around all the time, don't play as the warframe that is designed for running around all the time.

7 pages of complaining about not being able to fit a square peg into a round hole.

This makes zero sense.  Pointless to have a frame that only runs around building abilities you can't use because everyone is dead.

More like trying to fit an octagon peg into a circle hole. Just a little of the sides and it will fit perfect

9 hours ago, MrFrog9 said:

"Was The Gauss Buff Excessive?" I think

FWIW I find Gauss really boring to use now because there's no real threat of losing your KP's protection and with a Duration build and minimal effort expended managing his battery you will periodlcally receive 20+ full seconds of complete immunity to most of the damage you'll be receiving from anything that isn't Infested, during which you actually do not need to move at all. 

Kinda the point. While YOU may have been ok with spending forever building his skills,more than enough people disliked it. 

Some people like Mirage's 4th ability. Some like Titania first 3 abilities. As much as I play,  I almost never see those frames used nor those abilities.

Seems like they didn't want the same thing to happen to a brand new frame. 

5 hours ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Kinda the point. While YOU may have been ok with spending forever building his skills,more than enough people disliked it. 

Some people like Mirage's 4th ability. Some like Titania first 3 abilities. As much as I play,  I almost never see those frames used nor those abilities.

Seems like they didn't want the same thing to happen to a brand new frame. 

I'm just giving my opinion since this has apparently become the Gauss opinion thread. [unnecessarily salty comment redacted]

also because that's as good a segue as any (and this isn't directed at anyone in particular, mind): following up on RX's commentary about sampling bias and how people who are dissatisfied are more likely to post feedback than people who are, I'd also like to point out that a significant minority of the forum reacts to any significant level of challenge in the game with anger and responds with hostility towards any suggestion that challenge should be kept or added, which probably makes people that much more reluctant to post feedback of that nature.

14 hours ago, RX-3DR said:

I find him to be a tad bit stronger in potential than Wukong and Wisp when it comes to taking hits because of the complete Knockdown/Stagger immunity with Kinetic Plating. I spent about 2 weeks or so grinding Arbitrations with Gauss and one of the things I've noticed, especially during level 100+ Infested, is that a lot of people will get absolutely destroyed if an Ancient knocks them down and sometimes, they don't even get the opportunity to get off the ground to do anything before they're dead. Even Prime Surefooted will leave you with some openings. Granted, I get one-shot by Toxic Ancients, but that's only from Infested which is to be expected since I am also running a high Shield build. Meanwhile, knockdowns are plenty among all 3 factions, placing Gauss almost into inverse old Mag territory.

Fug, I forgot about knockdowns (Atlas main huehue). Still, I've been memed by Toxics et al enough times to see and concede to your point.

Edited by MrFrog9
Avoiding escalating things unnecessarily

Il y a 19 heures, RX-3DR a dit :

I wouldn't gear such a frame without umbral mods especially against infested. 150 base armor is enough to think about a health/armor build cause shields won't ever protect against oneshot mechanics such as viral or poison infested attacks. Thanks to armor, health is also way scaling way better than shields especially when using such an arcane as guardian's.

I geared mine with umbral mods first and certainly wouldn't change it now, since he's always on the move he doesn't get hurt much so one should only care about oneshots mechanics and hazards such as grenades, poison clouds or mines.

Anyway i've always found power drift quite mandatory as an exilus in many content for the reasons you were talking about. Even with 30% resistance only it did save me a lot of times ! Gauss wouldn't need that much though.

Edited by 000l000

2 hours ago, 000l000 said:

I wouldn't gear such a frame without umbral mods especially against infested. 150 base armor is enough to think about a health/armor build cause shields won't ever protect against oneshot mechanics such as viral or poison infested attacks. Thanks to armor, health is also way scaling way better than shields especially when using such an arcane as guardian's.

I geared mine with umbral mods first and certainly wouldn't change it now, since he's always on the move he doesn't get hurt much so one should only care about oneshots mechanics and hazards such as grenades, poison clouds or mines.

Anyway i've always found power drift quite mandatory as an exilus in many content for the reasons you were talking about. Even with 30% resistance only it did save me a lot of times ! Gauss wouldn't need that much though.

Which also feeds into part of my point. I'm aware I'm handicapping myself by building Shields (Primed Vigor + Redirection + Adaptation) and I do it mostly as a principle at this point against the exponential Health/Armor system. Even with this handicap, I've had no issues keeping up with other tanking options. The only key deaths I remember are,

• Running into 3 80+ Bombards without Kinetic Plating active (I get lazy to keep it on, especially towards the end of a wave)
  • Standing still at the end of a Corpus defense wave and dying by a grenade without Kinetic Plating
  • Getting Kinetic Plating dispelled by a Demolyst
  • Toxic Ancients at 100+

This was before all the changes as well. Kinetic Plating is incredibly strong and with the recent changes, 60% uptime on near damage immunity and knockdown immunity is ridiculous.

As for knockdown resistance, I run Primed Surefooted when possible. I spend a lot of time Aim Gliding to preserve momentum while being able to shoot so not falling to the ground helps a lot. Kinetic Plating is completely immune to knockdown so you don't even get the blocking animation, a massive convenience on top of saving you a slot and 16 cost. I still run Primed Surefooted on Gauss though since I have the space to afford it and I don't use Kinetic Plating until I know I need to keep it active to stay alive.

He runs really fast, which is just fun to do in open world maps. 

But yeah, if you are asking about functionality, I don't think he has any. Hell, frames have no functionality beyond invisibility(for spy and maybe rescue?), tanking, debuffing and nuking. If something doesn't fall into those 4 main categories, they may as well be not a part of the game. 

Currently I just him to speed run through Sabotage, Rescue, Capture and Assassination missions. It does shave off a few seconds on my runs. At the moment for me he's not that great for much else, though the hotfix'd version of Gauss PC have is apparently much better, so I'll be looking forward to that. 

Edited by (XB1)l Saminator l

On 2019-10-10 at 10:14 PM, 000l000 said:

since he's always on the move he doesn't get hurt much so one should only care about oneshots mechanics and hazards such as grenades, poison clouds or mines.

That's why he needs to be the first frame to shoot while sprinting. Being always on the move means little time for offense against harder enemies

On 2019-10-11 at 4:11 AM, White_Matter said:

He runs really fast, which is just fun to do in open world maps. 

But yeah, if you are asking about functionality, I don't think he has any. Hell, frames have no functionality beyond invisibility(for spy and maybe rescue?), tanking, debuffing and nuking. If something doesn't fall into those 4 main categories, they may as well be not a part of the game. 

It feels like Kinetic Plating with max buff Redline is meant to be his gimmuck or functionality. But the synergy is lacking. 

10 minutes ago, (XB1)l Saminator l said:

Currently I just him to speed run through Sabotage, Rescue, Capture and Assignation missions. It does shave off a few seconds on my runs. At the moment for me he's not that great for much else, though the hotfix'd version of Gauss PC have is apparently much better, so I'll be looking forward to that. 

Exactly this. Me too. Same thing.  I'm also wanting to use hotfix version as well.

Although speed Wukong seems the same if not faster because Wukong clone can attack while cloudwalker is in use. Cloudwalk a few circles near boss/capture target. They get killed by clone, you complete objective then literally fly to extraction. Fly faster if you add speed mods

Edited by (XB1)Phantom Clip