The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sparring Zaw when?

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

Take a moment and think about the components that would go into a sparring zaw, you need a grip and strike that makes sense for a sparring weapon, and those parts need to be usable in conjunction with ALL the other zaw parts. There's a reason the current zaws are "strike on a short stick" and " strike on a long stick".

9 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

Take a moment and think about the components that would go into a sparring zaw, you need a grip and strike that makes sense for a sparring weapon, and those parts need to be usable in conjunction with ALL the other zaw parts. There's a reason the current zaws are "strike on a short stick" and " strike on a long stick".

Well, they would could a new "grip" piece for the handle, grips could be used for sparring, gauntlet, claws, and tonfa zaws. Long blade + grip makes a tonfa, medium blade +grip makes claws, short blade + grip makes either a sparring (hands and feet) or gauntlet (hands only) depending on a toggle in the creation screen. 

Edited by Miser_able
  • Like 3

This has hurt me ever since the system was implemented. I am a staunch Sparring weapon fan, and my most used melees by far are the Obex and Kogake.

As much as I want it, though, the real answer is never/not until Cetus 2.0. Yes, DE could spend the time to revamp the zaw system and yes, they could make new strikes and grips that could be integrated with the system and make some caestus looking weapons.

But they won't. Because they've moved on from Cetus and aren't interested in developing more content for it that only a minority of players will be happy for. 

Since they won't, what they should do is have the zaw vendor sell an item that adds arcane slots to non-zaw weapons. 

5 minutes ago, ShogunGunshow said:

This has hurt me ever since the system was implemented. I am a staunch Sparring weapon fan, and my most used melees by far are the Obex and Kogake.

As much as I want it, though, the real answer is never/not until Cetus 2.0. Yes, DE could spend the time to revamp the zaw system and yes, they could make new strikes and grips that could be integrated with the system and make some caestus looking weapons.

But they won't. Because they've moved on from Cetus and aren't interested in developing more content for it that only a minority of players will be happy for. 

Since they won't, what they should do is have the zaw vendor sell an item that adds arcane slots to non-zaw weapons. 

All i want is use exodia brave on normal melee weapons so i can have self sustained energy, have a reason to use melee more and use anything other than zenurik

I don't understand why we still can't use exodias for normal melee weapons.. even when clearly Zaws are top tier 

Another thing i need to ask you, do you think they're going to change the stances to implement some cool looking martial arts? I'm tired of break dancing and hitting 0 enemies tbh

1 hour ago, Miser_able said:

Well, they would could a new "grip" piece for the handle, grips could be used for sparring, gauntlet, claws, and tonfa zaws. Long blade + grip makes a tonfa, medium blade +grip makes claws, short blade + grip makes either a sparring (hands and feet) or gauntlet (hands only) depending on a toggle in the creation screen. 

Eh... way I see it, we'll get a dual-wield grip and it will come in one of three flavors based on strike (selected based on appearance:)

Claw: Balla, Plague Keewar,

Tonfa: Cyath, Dokrahm, Ooltha, Kronsh

Dual Sword: Mewan, Rabvee, Sepfahn, Plague Kripath, Dehtat

Edited by Lost_Cartographer

I think for more difficult melee types, they should just create restrictions on which Strikes and Grips are compatible with each other, and then add Grip and Strikes to fulfill these compatibilities. Like, a glove/boot grip and some new claw/flat strikes that are only compatible with each other to create claws/sparring/fist weapons. These glove/boot grips wouldn't accept any of our current Strikes, and these claw/flat Strikes can't be put with any of our current Grips.

Continue the idea for Glaives, Warfans, nunchuks. For dual melees, make that a specific set of Grips that's only compatible with the current strikes that make sense. For Sword/Shield, a specific set of Grips that change the Shield but are still compatible with the current strikes.

For all the new grips and strikes, maybe three of each type to fulfill light/medium/heavy stat archetypes.

Basically, a Zaw 2.0 update. 

1 hour ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I personally want a blade and whip. 

I love me mios Dios, but something else would be nice (lacera is to niche and so is the kusar for my taste) 

I love me the mios too, and I know there isn't very many of us that like blade and whips. That said, it would still be pretty fun to be able to build the less popular melee types.

I've been banking on a dual dagger zaw for a while but it seems unlikely now.

I was thinking maybe pedleck can make exotic weapons. 

Could go sometjing like 

Hok: my useless apprentice has setup his own shop! Right next to mine! He can't even make the pars needed for a weapon! 

You hear me pedleck?! You are a shame to my name as a former apprentice, you mother was a hamster and your father smells of berries! 

Pedlek : I may not be able to make the parts but I can use the parts you make and make sometjing different! Sometjing exotic. I can bend, break and draw blades to glaives, daggers to whips and grips to chains, bring me the parts and see what I can do.

So there is a screen on which you can convert a combination of strike, grip and weights into exotics , 

Glaives for example need : 2 short strikes + 2 short grips + 1 weights.

Dual blades, would just need 2 of each type. 

Whips would need short strikes + long grip + weights

Blade and whip would need long strike + short strike + long grip + 2 weights 

I believe there was sometjing like this I made in suggestions, I can't recollect. 

Hmm, the problem with sparring/Fist zaw is that zaws are made of 3 parts, the strike, the grip and the links. First, sparring would need x4 of the strike and x4 of the grips to make one. Second, at the moment you can make use of all the grips for all the strikes, while making sparring/fist would limit those grips to only work with those 2 types of weapon.